What's new

Pakistan Becomes Majority Middle Class Country

That is not Pakistan's definition; it's the ADB and World Bank definition. Based on this definition, Pakistan's middle class is much bigger than India's as percent of population:

Asian+Middle+Class.jpg
Asian+Middle+Class.jpg

http://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/publication/27726/ki2010-special-chapter.pdf

Pakistan has continued to offer much greater upward economic and social mobility to its citizens than neighboring India over the last two decades. Since 1990, Pakistan's middle class had expanded by 36.5% and India's by only 12.8%, according to an ADB report titled "Asia's Emerging Middle Class: Past, Present And Future.

Haq's Musings: Upwardly Mobile Pakistan on 66th Independence Day
Have some shame
According to your data 205 millions lifted to middle class had only effected 12.8% increase in overall middle class in the country !!! So according to that calculation India should be having more than 160crore population ...lier

Good news, congrats!
I have cross-checked WB figures, Pakistan is doing well in reducing poverty, in South Asia only second to Sri Lanka, that's good job bros.
:pakistan:

Though in the other thread I expressed my doubt on the middle-class brackets of $2-10 a day, which apparently seems too low. In my view middle class should have already achieved minimum financial freedom

yep its a low figure , $2 to $4 makes it around Rs 120 to Rs 240 per day / per person , that would be just enough for food even in a country like india which has low cost of living.

another important stat taken into consideration should be the money saved per month for a family that would give us a much clearer picture on weather the family can be classified as middle class or not , bcz savings will tell us weather the family can afford minimum access to health care , housing , education , clothing etc which are key traits of a middle class family without that you will still be recognized as poor.

in the pdf (not pakistan defence forum :D) itself its said that those falling under expenditures of the range $2 to $4 can slip back to poverty if there is an economic shock. And a huge chuck of people classified as middle class fall under this category in countries like india and pakistan.

Permanent Banned??

Please share the data
I want to have a quick read on our developments

As per World Bank, Pakistan's poverty is 12.7% (2011 data, % of population living less than $1.25 per day PPP), second best in South Asia. On the same count, Sri Lanka tops South Asia by 4.1%, India 23.6%, Nepal 23.7%, Bangladesh 43.3%.

Poverty | Data

Untitled.png

Similar pattern on GDP (current US$, nominal)

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Highest Portfolio of Riches in Pakistan belongs to REAL ESTATE, Still that sector is Growing like Fire

Islamabad/Rwp/Lahore/Gujranwala/Karachi/hyderabad are under the Siege of those property developers who are in fierce competition of providing European Milieu
I read Rising Home Demands in Columns ...right now unable to find those column to LINK.......:(

But it explains ....Pakistan have Shortage of 8 Million Homes Overall and every year appetite increases at the rate of 0.4 million per year

I don't care where it came from,just saying this is definitely trash.
The definition of poor in india and pakistan is too stupid to believe what middle class actually is.

Go out in street and look around and then honestly say that pakistan has 55% middle class.
I won't say the same for india,,,if we take proper living standards,,not more than 10% indian population will be middle class,,probably the numbers will be same for pakistan looking at HDI and per capita income numbers.

No need for dick measuring.

Kindly enlightened all about classification of classes and their respective slabs.

@ShowGun
Sorry ...You misunderstood
I was asking about the data on middle-class

@ShowGun
I was asking about the data on middle-clas
s

@ShowGun

Oh alright.

On middle class, I didn't dig in great depth, anyway you can still use the same World Bank data (or as provided by @Georgeclark) and conduct more analysis. One way is to use GINI indices, per capita GDP (nominal, PPP), etc and arrive your assessment of the subject matter.

Oh alright.

On middle class, I didn't dig in great depth, anyway you can still use the same World Bank data (or as provided by @Georgeclark) and conduct more analysis. One way is to use GINI indices, per capita GDP (nominal, PPP), etc and arrive your assessment of the subject matter.
Nominal PPP is considered appropriate in this :)

you can go through my posts to know the exact thing :) and on what basis is it considered
RiazHaq always posts fudged up data
I do not trust his sources

I want data from WB,UN or IMF

RiazHaq always posts fudged up data
I do not trust his sources

I want data from WB,UN or IMF
I gave all the UN Limits :) The UN Limits are only available in Books as now also there site shows all the Povcal data as un reachable.

@ShowGun
I understand i failed to give overall view of my Point
Actually i dont want to go into investigation mode of collecting data to prove rise of Middle Class as crystal clear fact
I just shared my personal analysis based on the real Hard Fact that.......Pakistani Awam is heavily investing in Real Estate
Why..?? Reasons are Obvious that Middle Class are enjoying Cash Influx that they never experienced before
Major Cities are expanding fast to keep in pace with Population growth.... Iam in Real Estate Affairs so i keep one Eye on these numeric....on the basis of Real Estate Eye Opening GROWTH i concluded my above opinion that Pakistani Middle Class is emerging :-)

Last edited:
It's certainly believable information, Pakistan also has the most urbanized population in South Asia with more percentage of people living in cities than any South Asian country. According to World Bank data in 2013 Pakistan had 38% of its population living in urban areas and cities, while nearby India in 2013 is at 32%. This is an important indicator because populations that are concentrated in more urban centric environments are better integrated into a modern economy. Which means higher employment rates, higher income rates, less poverty, and a stronger middle class.

20p3uh2.png

2d91pvn.png

1z6v3o8.png

Urban population (% of total) | Data | Table

It's certainly believable information, Pakistan also has the most urbanized population in South Asia with more percentage of people living in cities than any South Asian country. According to World Bank data in 2013 Pakistan had 38% of its population living in urban areas and cities, while nearby India in 2013 is at 32%. This is an important indicator because populations that are concentrated in more urban centric environments are better integrated into a modern economy. Which means higher employment rates, higher income rates, less poverty, and a stronger middle class.

20p3uh2.png

2d91pvn.png

1z6v3o8.png

Urban population (% of total) | Data | Table
Doesn't matter at all, as long as you keep the number of Urban cities the same. If you got 4-5 urban cities and all population is being concentric to those it doesn't help at all. Its is only good when the number of Urbanized Cities grows that in case of Pakistan is very very low and In case of India Major cities are already quite big rest are growing but at a slow rate.

Back
Top Bottom