What's new

Pakistan Army's VT-4 Main Battle Tank | Updates & Discussions

Most of Sindh isn't tankable as the desert there has very fine grain sand that doesn't allow meaningful mobility. I learned this from @PanzerKiel back in 2012 when our Major was still a Lieutenant :)

This is why I want to see Rooikat types in PA. At least test them in the desert! See if this works. Has anyone tried hovercrafts in Siachin? That's another pet peeve of mine.

I am not sure if you are serious about the siachen thing.

PA uses mules mainly in that area (at least till my father was there in mid 90s) for resupply. As you need to travel while minimizing unnecessary noise because otherwise you will attract attention of OP which may direct artillery fire (that happened once as well, my father got lucky as he was on the post on a reverse slope but the mules didn't as they were near the base of the hill).

Moreover, hovercraft may not be of much use in hilly narrow paths and they won't be of much use either when you are scaling up to the posts which are usually on heights.

I am not sure if you are serious about the siachen thing.

PA uses mules mainly in that area (at least till my father was there in mid 90s) for resupply. As you need to travel while minimizing unnecessary noise because otherwise you will attract attention of OP which may direct artillery fire (that happened once as well, my father got lucky as he was on the post on a reverse slope but the mules didn't as they were near the base of the hill).

Moreover, hovercraft may not be of much use in hilly narrow paths and they won't be of much use either when you are scaling up to the posts which are usually on heights.

There are sections of the Siachen where the terrain is open but impassable as the huge amount of ice is difficult to navigate. Also, one never knows where one is putting ones foot, if there is an abyss below. In this kind of Siachen terrain, hovercrafts would be incredibly good as they would glide over them and at speed. Artillery would never be a problem for hovercrafts at all - they are only a problem for slow moving infantry.

There are sections of the Siachen where the terrain is open but impassable as the huge amount of ice is difficult to navigate. Also, one never knows where one is putting ones foot, if there is an abyss below. In this kind of Siachen terrain, hovercrafts would be incredibly good as they would glide over them and at speed. Artillery would never be a problem for hovercrafts at all - they are only a problem for slow moving infantry.

I would like to differ but don't want to derail the thread here. Let's concentrate on VT-4.

Artillery is very much a problem because it is used in greater concentration in mountain warfare relative to in the plains.

Moreover, a direct hit is also not necessary as many types of shells are available with air burst fuses e.t.c

Artillery is very much a problem because it is used in greater concentration in mountain warfare relative to in the plains.

Moreover, a direct hit is also not necessary as many types of shells are available with air burst fuses e.t.c

Exactly
But SiAchen is a different case,. You have to use the minimum amount of Artillery there. Avalanches can and do occur due to Artillery fire. That's why.

I would like to differ but don't want to derail the thread here. Let's concentrate on VT-4.

Moreover just to support your point, air burst or even a near miss, though may not destroy a tank, can seriously damage the optics outside the tank.

One department where vt-4 doesnt disappoint - the eye candy!!

bdc5-isqivxf7570542.jpg

c93a-isqivxf7570507.jpg

8bb4-isqivxf7570494.jpg

4e97-isqivxf7570481.jpg

PS: I see a few "specific" changes in the interior compared to the Thai versions. The stabilizer, BMS, looks different, so does that monstrous FCS screen (first pic).

wh
One department where vt-4 doesnt disappoint - the eye candy!!

bdc5-isqivxf7570542.jpg

c93a-isqivxf7570507.jpg

8bb4-isqivxf7570494.jpg

4e97-isqivxf7570481.jpg

PS: I see a few "specific" changes in the interior compared to the Thai versions. The stabilizer, BMS, looks different, so does that monstrous FCS screen (first pic).
What is it in the screen of first pic?

You allways talked about some 450 AK+50 AK-I backthen, when everyone said they were 315.
By some information allready released here in PDF, both 25th & 26th MD emply some 514 AK/AK-I (10 Armoured Regs + 2 Armoured Recce Regs)

AK/AK-1 are also employed by the mechanized brigade (of an inf div) and 10 IABG (31 Corps).

The wisdom learned from WW2 is the opposite. Heavies do better in hills and mountains, desert is for lighter and more mobile tanks. But somehow the opposite seems to hold true in Pak. There may be some reason for this.

What works good around the paddy fields - from May-Sep?

Back
Top Bottom