What's new

Pakistan Army testing MBT-3000 next moth ?

It is testing folks. If it does serve then that will be great. As people have suggested, it could be a replacement for our older tanks, which makes perfect sense.

I'd also like to see the influence of the Altay's development, or maybe the Altay itself serving.

It is testing folks. If it does serve then that will be great. As people have suggested, it could be a replacement for our older tanks, which makes perfect sense.

I'd also like to see the influence of the Altay's development, or maybe the Altay itself serving.
Yes we should get them to replace older Tanks and as main Tank we should go for AL KHALID 2

According to H khan of PAKDEF
Al Khalid II will be heavily influenced by MBT 3000.
disappointed if true otherwise the Heavy industry taxila interview early this year confirmed that the next variant of MBT-2000 in development is a Pakistan effort with possibility of importing 1500HP engine from ukraine and possible mass production onwards june 2015
It has been made clear that AK-2 is indigenous but if it's not then i see no point in having to spend on an organization which is supposed to produce indigenous tanks....
MBT-3000 is a chinese product, ask them.....
That's a bit perplexing, since AK was supposed to be the next gen MBT for Pakistan Army.
This is truly disappointing!! Whatever happened to the so much talked about "indigenous" "Al-Khalid II" project and its "completely new turret design" with a "new advanced armor capable of withstanding all Tank rounds"??

Are we just buying Chinese Tanks and presenting them as our own products with our own paint job?? Are even our military industries full of corrupt officials who are incapable of delivering on indigenous military products for our Armed Forces requirements or are we just incapable of innovation??

@Dazzler

Last edited:
i don't understand the logic behind fielding advanced tanks, when those tanks are basically sitting ducks waiting to be destroyed, its pointless investing in when there isn't even a proper SAM network or a decent enough airforce to provide air cover. the money should have been put into investing in a SAM network. moreover the army has over 1000 modern tanks in its inventory comprised of T-80UDs, T-85IIAPs, AL-khalids, Al-zarars. what purpose does a new tank like the MBT-3000 Serve. the AL-khalid II is supposedly an indigenous design, but buying another off the shelf tank when the airforce and navy are in dire need of modern equipment seems a bit selfish.

Well the t-80 was and still the most expensive tank.

UDs that we operate have the same turrets,systems etc as T-84... Russia had pressurised the Ukrainians for cancelling the t-80 deal... So Ukrainians kept the bargain by incorporating t-84 tech on our UDs... And we also built the t-85IIPs (modified and upgraded by Pakistan)..

In 1990s competition(Type-85III vs T-80UD) for Parkistan Army, the heat ratio for 85III is >80% while T-80UD is 75%; while the penetration is similar for the two: about 450mm/2km; thus Type-85III can penetrate the chassis but not the turret of T-80UD,while T-80UD can penetrate both the chassis and turret of Type-85III

I dot know about any competition .. But type-85IIs were upgraded,customised and modified by Pakistan and produced under liscense by Heavy Industries Taxila...

That's why the improved variant produced by HIt were dubbed "T-85IIP's"...

i don't understand the logic behind fielding advanced tanks, when those tanks are basically sitting ducks waiting to be destroyed, its pointless investing in when there isn't even a proper SAM network or a decent enough airforce to provide air cover. the money should have been put into investing in a SAM network. moreover the army has over 1000 modern tanks in its inventory comprised of T-80UDs, T-85IIAPs, AL-khalids, Al-zarars. what purpose does a new tank like the MBT-3000 Serve. the AL-khalid II is supposedly an indigenous design, but buying another off the shelf tank when the airforce and navy are in dire need of modern equipment seems a bit selfish.

Please don't think too much... Nobody is going for MBT-3000 (which is another variant of mbt-2000)..

Last edited:
This is truly disappointing!! Whatever happened to the so much talked about "indigenous" "Al-Khalid II" project and its "completely new turret design" with a "new advanced armor capable of withstanding all Tank rounds"??

Are are we just buying Chinese Tanks and presenting them as our own products with our own paint job?? Are even our military industries full of corrupt officials who are incapable of delivering on indigenous military products for our Armed Forces requirements or are we just incapable of innovation??

@Dazzler

In this day and age no product built in developing world is fully indigenous. It will always incorporate design/materials/expertise from outside. We don't have the capability to built a complete tank. For a tank there are three major components:
1-Engine
2-Armour and body
3-Turret and the rifled or un-rifled gun

These are very complex engineering challenges.

We can always choose to tailor made our products. Like Ukrainian engine, Chinese/Pakistani hull, Western electronics/FLIR etc That gives us more flexibility.

The modern fleet may well be based on three types.

1. AK, AK-1, AK-2 or Improved as Janes call it

2. MBT 3000 to replace bulk of T59s/ 69s

3. T-80UD upgraded, some upgrades like thermal imager etc, improved FCS, done already
So we'll be operating Al-Khalids, Al-Khalid I's, Al-Khalid II's, MBT-3000's, AND Al-Zarrar's??

Isn't that too many different types??? Maintenance nightmare??

Any links to these "pics"??
Those are upgraded AK-I pics..

Ay36irU.png
nO8TOdE.png

So we'll be operating Al-Khalids, Al-Khalid I's, Al-Khalid II's, MBT-3000's, AND Al-Zarrar's??

Isn't that too many different types??? Maintenance nightmare??

No mbt-3000s. (its just a variant of mbt-2000)..

AK-I is an upgrade .

AK-II is yet to be revealed and will be the work horse.

Are we just buying Chinese Tanks and presenting them as our own products with our own paint job?? Are even our military industries full of corrupt officials who are incapable of delivering on indigenous military products for our Armed Forces requirements or are we just incapable of innovation??

@Dazzler
Sir MBT 3000 is not AL KHALID 2 both are different Tanks

@DESERT FIGHTER Are you sure the pictures you posted are off upgraded AL Khalid 1 because I have seen pics on this forum which are lot off years old off same Tank

@DESERT FIGHTER Are you sure the pictures you posted are off upgraded AL Khalid 1 because I have seen pics on this forum which are lot off years old off same Tank

Those AKs in the pics seem to be larger than the other ones I've seen. The chassis seems to look much wider than the other AKs

What for? Purchasing another country's product is not exactly an achievement!
Dude having the latest generation weaponry never hurts, altough i imagine an indigenous model might be in the works

Back
Top Bottom