What's new

Pakistan Army Question Thread

Actually the Talha is based upon the FNSS vehicle as Jk has pointed out . But that is actually based upon the United defence IFV which was a upgrade of the M113 (It was called the product improved M113a1)

I saw a video on Youtube (cant seem to find it any more) it mentioned at the start that 300 pakistani mariens killed over 1000 Russian spetnaz soilders. That is truley amazing (like MM.Alam with his piolit skill) but is it true?:smokin:

What about the capability to fire the Anti-Tank missiles by our most modern tanks like Al-khalid and T-80UD?

I shall verify it, but I think that T-90 can fire anti-tank missiles through its gun barrel..........called Refleks......these missiles can even engage the helicopters......whats our situation vis-a-vis all this?

One more thing I want to know is that what are the advantages of having installed a SMOOTH BORE gun on the tank instead of a RIFLED BARREL?

and can RIFLED BARREL fire the APFSDS rounds?

1) For almost all the tanks, we see a "bulge" on the mid of gun barrel.......this is not found in the artillery gun barrels............I want to understand whats this......are two small barrels joined together or it is something else.....I already asked this from a captain of EME but he seemed to know nothing........

2) Does India have laser-guided anti-tank missiles like Hellfires of Apache.......and why our cobras are still using wire-guided TOWs..............

3) Somebody also tell me that when a Cobra fires a TOW, can it immediately turn away, because that 4km long wire trailing from TOW remains attached to Cobra.....

4) and that wire-guided TOWs.......dont they limit sometimes the firings/.....like a shot from behind a mountain ridge.....or a hill or trees coming in front of that "wire" of the TOW............

5) In think that "wire" of the TOW may force the Cobras to go a little more high for attacking target than is possible with laser-guided Hellfires....

My first post on the army question also remains unanswered/.....seems like we lack army experts on this forum.......

1) For almost all the tanks, we see a "bulge" on the mid of gun barrel.......this is not found in the artillery gun barrels............I want to understand whats this......are two small barrels joined together or it is something else.....I already asked this from a captain of EME but he seemed to know nothing........

2) Does India have laser-guided anti-tank missiles like Hellfires of Apache.......and why our cobras are still using wire-guided TOWs..............

3) Somebody also tell me that when a Cobra fires a TOW, can it immediately turn away, because that 4km long wire trailing from TOW remains attached to Cobra.....

4) and that wire-guided TOWs.......dont they limit sometimes the firings/.....like a shot from behind a mountain ridge.....or a hill or trees coming in front of that "wire" of the TOW............

5) In think that "wire" of the TOW may force the Cobras to go a little more high for attacking target than is possible with laser-guided Hellfires....

My first post on the army question also remains unanswered/.....seems like we lack army experts on this forum.......

Too many questions and you have not done any of the research yourself either..:lol: But let me take a shot.

1) The bulge is essentially a "bore evacuator". All it does is to ensure that propellant gases produced during the firing of the round are not sent back into the tank turret. Otherwise you would have pretty sick crews inside of the tanks. Look up bore evactuator on the web and you will find a lot of information.

2) Yes the Indians also have ATGMs but I am not sure if they are in the same class as the Hellfires. But they are a threat nevertheless to Pakistani armour.

3) No and yes. A TOW being wire-guided requires the Heli to remain stationary at a standoff range however Pakistan Army has also acquired TOW2B RFs which aside from being "Top attack" ATGMs also do not require being guided through the optical wire as in the case of TOW 2As. So PA operates both 2As and 2Bs. 2Bs allow the heli to move away from Line of Sight.

4) Same deal as in #3. If fired from a heli and it is a 2A round then you need clearance and LoS. But this goes for all ATGMs as they are usually IR, RF or Wire Guided.

Your info and questions are mostly around the limitations of TOW 2A. With TOW 2BRF, many of the issues have been resolved and these ATGMs are in use with the Pakistan Army Aviation.

What about the capability to fire the Anti-Tank missiles by our most modern tanks like Al-khalid and T-80UD?

I shall verify it, but I think that T-90 can fire anti-tank missiles through its gun barrel..........called Refleks......these missiles can even engage the helicopters......whats our situation vis-a-vis all this?

One more thing I want to know is that what are the advantages of having installed a SMOOTH BORE gun on the tank instead of a RIFLED BARREL?

and can RIFLED BARREL fire the APFSDS rounds?

Smooth bore vs. rifled:
Tank gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

T84s in the PA service are able to fire the Refleks ATGM from the main gun. However I am not aware of the status of the ATGMs in use by the PA.

ok thanks blain for both replies....

Regarding the rifled barrel firing the APSFDS, I dont think so because a round is either fin-stabilized or is spin-stabilized.......like in old times, arrows were fin-stabilized for directional stability and thus the accuracy....

like we know that a bullet is spin-stabilized......

Now APFSDS is fin-stabilized and there is no need to pass it through a rifled-barrel which shall impart it further spin.......

For gun-launched ATGWs, I think we did not buy them from Ukraine when we bought some 300 T-80s. After that, I dont know.

Does Pakistan has T-84 tanks. when Army bought them....:what:

Due to the Russians withholding technology (cast turrets I think) from the Ukraine they were forced to use the Welded turrets from the T84 in some of the T80UD tanks for Pakistan.

Is the T-80UD related to the "Export" version? I seem to recall that those were called "48 tonne coffins" in Iraq. The external fuel takes exploded because of artillery shrapnel occasionally. The Autoloaders were about 1/3 the speed of a trained tank crew in an Abrams, and they sacrificed Armor for speed and maneuverability. Pretty worthless in a desert on the whole. Of course it is silly to compare the T-80 to the Abrams or Challanger,but the T-80 on the whole didn't fair any better than the heavier t-72, and did have a slower fire rate.

Is the T-80UD related to the "Export" version? I seem to recall that those were called "48 tonne coffins" in Iraq. The external fuel takes exploded because of artillery shrapnel occasionally. The Autoloaders were about 1/3 the speed of a trained tank crew in an Abrams, and they sacrificed Armor for speed and maneuverability. Pretty worthless in a desert on the whole. Of course it is silly to compare the T-80 to the Abrams or Challanger,but the T-80 on the whole didn't fair any better than the heavier t-72, and did have a slower fire rate.

I don't think Iraq had any T80s they only had T72s.

For the combat record of the T80 just consider the Chechen war where they were vulnerable to the autoloaders being hit cooking off the entire tank.

Back
Top Bottom