What's new

Pakistan Army Information

I think part of the infantry... The jeeps etc are phased out... the RRs... are in service... :

View attachment 10655

Old pic from 2007-8..

RRs on APCs... nope.. ATGMs are being used for tht...
I have seen recoil-less rifles on APCs too but that is long time ago. but they are still in service and a good tool to level a bunker on the LoC

The difference is in the role of Light Anti-Tank (LAT) and Heavy Anti-Tank (HAT) mech. regiments. The ATGM mounted vehicles such as the M-113s are considered to be part of HAT regiments. Jeep mounted RR's are typically considered part of LAT regiments.

Last edited:
The difference is in the role of Light Anti-Tank (LAT) and Heavy Anti-Tank (HAT) regiments. The ATGM mounted vehicles such as the M-113s are considered to be part of HAT regiments. Jeep mounted RR's are typically considered part of LAT or even Infantry regiments.
R these LAT regiments really effective considering the constant evolution in Modern warfare...

We r certainly not expecting to successfully take out the likes of Arjuns r we?

Yes they are !

This picture from the current exercise "Azme nau" shows that the Pakistani M901 are still in service, and will also in future a danger for indian Tanks.

View attachment 10666

Some basic information about this System:

ITV
(Improved TOW Vehicle) is a United States Armyarmored vehicle designed to carry a dual M220 TOW launcher. It is based on the ubiquitous M113 Armored Personnel Carrier chassis.
@DESERT FIGHTER @fatman17

What's that truck in the corner ..... Phased array radar + sam ??????

images

thin skinned vehicles for sure....
The only thing i see is that they r way too maneuverable viz a viz track vehicle like tank viz a viz Baktar shikan mounted on a jeep lets say. That can work if they work with the more balanced armored divisions to distract the advancing tanks and give our artys recce and tanks a space to fire in a clear shot without fear of receiving counter enemy fire. But still this could be kind of suicidal considering their thin Armour. Only one shot can take them out.

But independent LAT regiments in this modern warfare is bit risky dont u think?

@Xeric @fatman17 @blain2 @jhungary

R these LAT regiments really effective considering the constant evolution in Modern warfare...

We r certainly not expecting to successfully take out the likes of Arjuns r we?
RR's are an aging platform but can still pose problems for armour if employed correctly. While the tanks are always being up armoured, weapons like recoilless rifles can still be effective in impacting the mobility of tanks and supporting infantry. While the RR may not take out modern tanks entirely (this too would depend on the range etc.), it can be used to impede and harass the armour advance. In all reality, there is significant anti-tank capability in the PA now with Western (TOW), Chinese and Pakistani systems in service. Additionally, RR against APCs, light skinned vehicles and built up positions is still effective. It has as much firepower as many of our older T-59 tanks.

RR's are an aging platform but can still pose problems for armour if employed correctly. While the tanks are always being up armoured, weapons like recoilless rifles can still be effective in impacting the mobility of tanks and supporting infantry. While the RR may not take out modern tanks entirely (this too would depend on the range etc.), it can be used to impede and harass the armour advance. In all reality, there is significant anti-tank capability in the PA now with Western (TOW), Chinese and Pakistani systems in service. Additionally, RR against APCs, light skinned vehicles and built up positions is still effective. It has as much firepower as many of our older T-59 tanks.
yes thats what i was thinking.....in post#429 i tried to shed some light on that.

So lets see how much 'correctly' we use them in modern battlefield scenarios.

the next war will be one of national resistance....they need to develop a easy to use man portable SAM launcher with good accuracy and resistant to defensive measures....

yes thats what i was thinking.....in post#429 i tried to shed some light on that.

So lets see how much 'correctly' we use them in modern battlefield scenarios.
Egyptians used first generation ATGMs, RPGs to good effect against the Israelis who for that time had good tanks in the form of M-48s and Centurions. How you employ and use the system makes all the difference. I, for one, think both the Pakistan and Indian Armies have not exploited armour to its fullest potential in the past wars.

Quote of the day.........

''The betrayer of military secrets is a pariah, despised by every man and every nation. Even the enemy whom he serves has no respect for him, but merely uses him. Any nation which is not uncompromisingly unanimous in its condemnation of this type of treachery is undermining the very foundations of its own state, whatever its form of government may be.''

Grand Admiral Karl Dönitz (1891-1980 ) later President of Greater German Reich.

@fatman17

The only thing i see is that they r way too maneuverable viz a viz track vehicle like tank viz a viz Baktar shikan mounted on a jeep lets say. That can work if they work with the more balanced armored divisions to distract the advancing tanks and give our artys recce and tanks a space to fire in a clear shot without fear of receiving counter enemy fire. But still this could be kind of suicidal considering their thin Armour. Only one shot can take them out.

But independent LAT regiments in this modern warfare is bit risky dont u think?

@Xeric @fatman17 @blain2 @jhungary

I have no idea why i was mentioned lol....

Judging by what you wrote, you are saying some APC/Tank with thin armor would be suicidal to use in an armoured engagement??

The aspect of a sole tank regiment/division is a thing of the past. Today, you need to use a combine set of force to augment any attacking force to try and suit every purpose.

In the US, we use a combine force doctrine. Which mean Infantry division would have both Cavalry and Armored Regiment mixed in it and Armored Division would have mechanised Infantry mixed in. The lighter vehicle would do their job well too if they were accompany by larger tank or what not, and we need those thin armored or aprtially armored vehicle to bring troops in, recon the area and fill the rank of whatever the big boys need.

I used to be a Bradley Commander, the fact that my bradley may encounter a T-72 is thrilling and scary, but without my bradley and the 6 troop in my compartment are more important to stop gap the enemy sneaking attack to our armor, if they can sneak within a line of tank, even a sinlge soldier with a RPG-7 can deal hack a lot of problem. The advantage in this case out weight the risk a lot.

I don't know if this is what you ask, hope this help

I have no idea why i was mentioned lol....

Judging by what you wrote, you are saying some APC/Tank with thin armor would be suicidal to use in an armoured engagement??

The aspect of a sole tank regiment/division is a thing of the past. Today, you need to use a combine set of force to augment any attacking force to try and suit every purpose.

In the US, we use a combine force doctrine. Which mean Infantry division would have both Cavalry and Armored Regiment mixed in it and Armored Division would have mechanised Infantry mixed in. The lighter vehicle would do their job well too if they were accompany by larger tank or what not, and we need those thin armored or aprtially armored vehicle to bring troops in, recon the area and fill the rank of whatever the big boys need.

I used to be a Bradley Commander, the fact that my bradley may encounter a T-72 is thrilling and scary, but without my bradley and the 6 troop in my compartment are more important to stop gap the enemy sneaking attack to our armor, if they can sneak within a line of tank, even a sinlge soldier with a RPG-7 can deal hack a lot of problem. The advantage in this case out weight the risk a lot.

I don't know if this is what you ask, hope this help
Actually I knew u were a Bradley Commander and u have a good experience with tanks and how tanks perform.......U once said u had a female commander when u were in Bradley and how u used to feel uncomfortable under her command:lol:. I had that in mind so thats why i quoted and also the fact that yr the one that i know in this forum who actually takes the trouble of writing a long answer to satisfy the person who quotes u or mentions u.:agree:

And u never disappoint.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom