What's new

Pakistan army a stakeholder in dialogue with India: Hina Rabbani Khar

I caught flak for saying this in another thread:

Pushback by the Army: How dare the "bloody civilians" think of controlling foreign policy.

Nothing more.

Tussles of this type will only grow in the coming months.

...... but at least the reasoning behind that post may be a little clearer to some! :D

In Pakistan Pak Army ROCKS, dude. Get used to it.

We love our Army. Our politicians are S_ _ _ of the Earth.

Hopefully, Imran Khan will change that Perception.

Okay! what are we trying to establish here?

Reference of PA in relation to India - Is it not well established already? and do we not all know about this?

Its one line in Khar`s statement. To me it means that granting MFN status also has support of PA. So are you all complaining is it a bad thing then?

In principle its agreeable that relations should be solemnly defined by civilian governments. That should be the norm in any country of modern world. Unfortunately civilian governments in Pakistan (past & current politicians) have been incapable of defining sensitive issues and taking decisions on them both internally & externally.

With the new situation of political chess board, one can be hopeful to see all that change in near future inshAllah. With that, we can then hope all of state responsibilities should fall to their respective quarters.

We are just trying to figure out who in Pakistan would be our point of contact, if as you say that it is the army who decides & influences the foreign policy, then we need not waste our time with the civilian government & should directly address the army on all issues.

We are just trying to figure out who in Pakistan would be our point of contact, if as you say that it is the army who decides & influences the foreign policy, then we need not waste our time with the civilian government & should directly address the army on all issues.

Dont you think you are suggesting unrealistic solutions?

Dont you think you are suggesting unrealistic solutions?

Dont you think the power verticals in Pakistan is not straight forward and you dont know who is the real decision maker ? Is going directly to the army and talking to them such a bad thing ?

Dont you think the power verticals in Pakistan is not straight forward and you dont know who is the real decision maker ? Is going directly to the army and talking to them such a bad thing ?

Did you not read when I said in my first post that because of irresponsible and incapable politicians, crucial decisions like these cant be left in their hands?

You need to get out of book of democracy and think on realities. System in your country is different than in mine in practice.

I caught flak for saying this in another thread:

...... but at least the reasoning behind that post may be a little clearer to some! :D

The army is part of the govt as an institution, the Army and the GoP are one on MFN.

The army is a stakeholder in dialogue.. along with the GoP... The Army is a separate entity..

Who is the one not sure what the Army is?? the Civvies or the Army?

The army is part of the govt as an institution, the Army and the GoP are one on MFN.

The army is a stakeholder in dialogue.. along with the GoP... The Army is a separate entity..

Who is the one not sure what the Army is?? the Civvies or the Army?

Does this "part" of the government control the whole, or is it the "whole" that controls all of its parts, is the question, and if so, to what extent?

Well what can you say when a democratically elected Govt itself legitimizes the Army's role in formulating state policies ?

Nothing.

Does this "part" of the government control the whole, or is it the "whole" that controls all of its parts, is the question, and if so, to what extent?

Perhaps there is no control.. and the part is a separate entity, and behaves as such.
In any case, this statement may also be to appease the Indian's fears on the PA not co-operating.
The other two branches of the military seem to be convinced that peace is the way forward, this branch is the last one left.

Perhaps there is no control.. and the part is a separate entity, and behaves as such.
In any case, this statement may also be to appease the Indian's fears on the PA not co-operating.
The other two branches of the military seem to be convinced that peace is the way forward, this branch is the last one left.

One question though - Doesnt the Army overshadow the the two other branches in everything and the other two take their decisions in accordance with the Army. ?

One question though - Doesnt the Army overshadow the the two other branches in everything and the other two take their decisions in accordance with the Army. ?

Not exactly.. Its usually been "FYI we sent some troops in there as a surprise..its all ok for now but we will let you know if we need you..cheers".
the Army does make the other two branches play second fiddle, for eg.. the JSC is supposed to be a rotational assignment between the three forces.. but rarely has it happened as it should.

Well what can you say when a democratically elected Govt itself legitimizes the Army's role in formulating state policies ?

Nothing.

Unfortunately it's always been the case in Pakistan, irrespective of what regime is in place! It's for the army to decide whether they want to lead from the front or from behind!

Normally a country has an army; but it seems, that i Pakistan the army has a country.

Back
Top Bottom