What's new

Pakistan Air Force Transport

What’s about the News of the members khafee that Pakistan will get surplus C-130 Hercules transport aircraft’s?

Last edited:
I doubt Pakistan will go for Chinese platforms for its transport fleet in any heavy way. The total airframe lifespan, cost per hour are very very important considerations for the lifespan of the platforms and one, where China is currently not competitive. Airframe lifespans of chinese aviation products are lower compared to their western competitors and that factors into the cost per hour calculations alot.

The recent decision to procure Embraer based platforms for its LRMP requirements, shows that for requirements where alot of flying hours are required, Pakistan will look towards the west. Just think about how many flying hours Pakistan's C130s have done, and realise that China cannot as yet produce a platform with that level of longevitiy for total flying hours, maintanance requirements, etc...

Low hour units such as AWE&Cs, Fighter jets will focus on China due to the high technology that China can provide.. High hour assets will be from the west.

Who knows.
May be by December end, may be by March. May be the deal collapse in final phase as has happened several times in past. But the need for more cargo aircrafts is there.
I hope so there are alot surplus C130s out there
I doubt Pakistan will go for Chinese platforms for its transport fleet in any heavy way. The total airframe lifespan, cost per hour are very very important considerations for the lifespan of the platforms and one, where China is currently not competitive. Airframe lifespans of chinese aviation products are lower compared to their western competitors and that factors into the cost per hour calculations alot.

The recent decision to procure Embraer based platforms for its LRMP requirements, shows that for requirements where alot of flying hours are required, Pakistan will look towards the west. Just think about how many flying hours Pakistan's C130s have done, and realise that China cannot as yet produce a platform with that level of longevitiy for total flying hours, maintanance requirements, etc...

Low hour units such as AWE&Cs, Fighter jets will focus on China due to the high technology that China can provide.. High hour assets will be from the west.
I think if PAF look for new C130 from LM there shouldn't be an issue from US too but I feel PAF needs a bigger cargo like C17 in 5-7 in number

i think H6s were longest lifespan jets china made sir

Our plans regarding C130 fleet expansion are still intact. Alongside, PAF is looking at two additional options for supplementing it's transport and cargo fleet.
Sir what are these 2 additional options, if you can share @Tipu7

iMO C390 can be option but comparing to c130 they only have 2 engines.
Secondly we are missing larger plans which can be filled by Y20 or used IL68

Last edited:
Former Afghan Air Force Antonov A-26 Curl (Tail.No. 276) after being restored at PAF Museum. This An-26 was operated by the PAF's No. 12 Squadron at Chaklala for a short duration.

1607118042027.png

When in use with PAF

1607118239849.png

That's so 1990s my dear.
Y-20 or nothing.
KC-390 is a great option. Embraer desperately needs some monies.

IMO, for PAF we need a good decent fleet of transport aircraft as all the other military branches depend upon them. So, both Y-20 & KC-390 for PAF to acquire in good numbers to replace those C-130s and also because of the fact that Pakistan's relation with West may not be as good as they were in the 1980s.
  • 20/25 Y-20
  • 20/25 KC-390
  • 10/15 CN-235
  • 10/15 CN-295
Seems unrealistic, but if we see the future then it should be our fleet till 2030. As C-130s might convert into parts. CN-235 & CN-295 are good for light transport as well as conversion for temporary reconnaissance air craft.

CN-235 & CN-295 are good for light transport as well as conversion for temporary reconnaissance air craft
I believe sone habibi country got their CASA aircraft converted into AC130 spooky like configuration.

We could do same. Either with CASA CN platform or KC390. There are drones both MALE and HALE, with good endurance/time on station/loitering ability but their firepower and ammo capacity is a serious limiting factor.

Whereas, CAS/recon aircraft like AC-130 have limited loitering ability. I believe Spooky loiter time is 4-5 hours. But by God it can rain down hell's fury on enemy tgts.

So I guess it's a tradeoff time on station vs firepower.

I think of a MALE/HALE drone like a sniper. A lot if not most of the time a sniper team is doing recon and observation. Other times the it goes in aor looking for a very specific tgt. That's drones are a good candidate for drone security in my view cuz you can keep an eye on the border and lob a atgm, gbu on a small group trying to hop the fence.

And think of Spooky like aircraft as a Squad machine gunner providing suppressing fire(only this suppresses enemy for ever).

How do you think an AC130 like aircraft would have faired vs cobras in Pakistan's WoT campaign?

the future
The Pakistan state wants to expand it connectivity, trade and links in the region and through repurcussions of the same the world. If we want to do business on such a scale, we are going to have to acquire stronger military muscle. Therefore, it becomes essential to expand our sea force and the air force. Land force numbers/abilities can be played around with.

We want to spread our wings in Central Asia and towards the Borneo-Sumatra region. Therefore our uncle minded generals will have to concede to professional warrior generals. Likes of Durrani, HIT & POF uncles, the brigadier that was hanged etc need to be done away with. Secondly the bahaney baazi needs to end oh we don't have money, oh we don't have requirements, ahh we don't have economy of scale. The thousands of engineers Pakistani universities pump out can't do anything. HIT and POF wasted 2 whole decades, billions of dollars in funding. They can't do anything. Let's wait for Gora or Iron Brother to be our savior. Needs to end(bit of a rant I know. I sound like a broken record I know).

Navy has started fleet expansion which is good. Air Force needs to look into this as well. Air Force is lacking in logistic abilities most of our helicopter and fixed wing air lift fleet is medium lift. And we are flying 60 year old aircraft. Might as well call them flying museums.

So we need to expand our horizons. Having a stake/JV in embraer or KC390 would be absolutely splendid in my view(if there is a contradictory view please lemme hear it).

Also we are also lacking our own Helo industry in that we have none!

While the enemy has started making their own helos.

Turks are a good JV candidate in that regard also the new Russian Mi38. I believe there is also a Sino-Russian heavy lift chopper in the works as well.

But it has to be a JV. Otherwise we could also just go and buy Z-20 blackhawk copy from Iron Brother but that won't give us any industrial or long term benefit.

Last edited:
Sir what are these 2 additional options, if you can share @Tipu7

iMO C390 can be option but comparing to c130 they only have 2 engines.
Secondly we are missing larger plans which can be filled by Y20 or used IL68
KC390 will replace C-130 in future. It has 2 engines, same ones on A320s which give it decent range, good service ceiling and speed characteristics.

Even with 2 engines it has stellar cargo capability. Very close to C-130.

One thing I notice KC390 lacks right now is that it lacks ability to take off from short/unprepared air strips. Embraer could work out the kinks on that.

Interestingly Turkey is working on a JV with Ukrainian Antonov for an aircraft in similar category.

It seems turbine might take over market share from Turbo prop like it has done in the regional airliner market. With newer, more efficient turbine engines.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom