What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

1629548627963.png

Was this when the US was attempting to unload the F-4 Phantoms & Tigersharks - pre F-16?
No, the F-20 flew after the PAF ordered the Peace Gate I F-16s. I think Northrop was trying to pitch the F-20 as a lower-cost complement to the F-16. This was around the time when "Project Sabre II" started taking form (a fighter that'd replace the F-6s).

No, the F-20 flew after the PAF ordered the Peace Gate I F-16s. I think Northrop was trying to pitch the F-20 as a lower-cost complement to the F-16. This was around the time when "Project Sabre II" started taking form (a fighter that'd replace the F-6s).

So many what ifs when it comes the the PAF!

They messed up and used PN colors instead lol
Next forum conspiracy: "PAF sabotaged PN's attempts to build a fighter wing in the 1980s"

So many what ifs when it comes the the PAF!
Yep! The PAF was also checking out the Mirage F-1 around this time. One retired AC told me that the PAF liked the F-1, but wanted the M53 on it. However, the French -- despite actually developing a prototype with that spec in the late-1970s -- weren't willing (at least at a price the PAF could afford).

But seriously, imagine getting the F-1 (with local manufacturing) and using the thaw in ties with Russia to integrate the RD-93 plus French radar + avionics and South African BVR and SOW...all by 1999. The PAF may have been able to pull a Swift Retort-type scene in 1999.

Back
Top Bottom