What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

:pakistan:
Salahuddin Zahid Butt - Sitara-i-Juraat
Wing Commander Salahuddin Zahid Butt is an exceptional transport pilot who applied his ability to the fullest limits in carrying out operational missions against the enemy. He flew a total of 8 sorties which included supply dropping and Para trooping over enemy territory. The hazardous operations were carried out with great skills and determination. Throughout the period of operations, he was a source of inspiration to all the other aircrew of the Wing. The success of all transport operations and its impact on the enemy reflected great credit to the ability and leadership of this officer. In recognition of his personal example, achievements and his contribution to the overall success of all transport operations, the officer was awarded Sitara-i-Juraat.

Claiming him - my uncle:pakistan:

I'm pretty darn sure that if SHE crashed it, pilot error or something, she wouldn't be flying at all.
If she is still flying then it was a technical fault. The maintenance guys are to be blamed for it, which are all MALE!

The plane are designed to take 5 G at minimum... Say the plane is 3000 Kg... Then the wing structure can take 15.000 Kg... I do not think that the pilots are that much heavy. And about females able to fly (fighters) or not... You should not judge others on being male or female but on their results. As far as I know everyone in the picture has passed the same exams. In every field. The issue is more that if the females start moving away from this job (marry and have children) then one should look at the financial side of this program,

1971 SHUHADA & GALLENTRY

Pilot Officer;

Rashid Minhas - Nishan-i-Haider
On the morning of Friday, 20 August 71, Pilot Officer Rashid Minhas, a pilot still under training, was in the front seat of jet a trainer, taxiing out for take-off. An instructor pilot from the same unit forced his way into the rear cockpit, seized control of the aircraft and having taken off, headed the aircraft towards India. With just 40 miles of Pakistan territory remaining, Minhas had only one course open to him to prevent his aircraft from entering India. Without hesitation and living up to the highest traditions of the Pakistan Air Force, Rashid Minhas tried to regain control of his aircraft, but finding this to be impossible in the face of the superior skill and experience of his instructor, forced the aircraft to crash at a point 32 miles from the Indian border. In doing so, Pilot Officer Rashid Minhas deliberately made the supreme sacrifice for the honour of Pakistan and the service to which he belonged. For this act of heroism above and beyond the call of duty, the President of Pakistan awarded Nishan-i-Haider to Pilot Officer Rashid Minhas.

Wing Commander;

Mervyn L Middlecoat - Sitara-i-Juraat
On the outbreak of war on 3 December 71, Wing Commander Mervyn L Middlecoat was on a training visit abroad. He returned to Pakistan immediately and joined operations with such keen interest that he inspired all the squadron pilots. The day after his arrival he was detailed on a strike mission to the heavily defended Jamnagar airfield. While returning after the successful mission he was engaged by 2 enemy Mig-21s. In the encounter his aircraft was hit by an enemy missile. He was heard to be ejecting in Indian Territory and was officially declared missing in action. For his devotion to duty, determination and courage he was awarded a Bar to the Sitara-i-Juraat.

Muhammed Ahmed - Sitara-i-Juraat
On 4 December, 71 one of our combat air patrols over Dhaka was engaged by an enemy formation. With the arrival of more enemy aircraft the patrol was heavily out-numbered and the leader gave a call for help. Wing Commander Muhammad Ahmed was immediately airborne and his timely intervention enabled the patrol to return safely to base. In the encounter Wing Commander Ahmed's aircraft was hit by an enemy aircraft and he was heard to be ejecting in territory occupied by rebels. For his personal example, courage and devotion to duty, he was awarded the Sitara-i-Juraat.

Squadron Leader;

Aslam Choudhry - Sitara-i-Juraat
Squadron Leader Aslam Choudhry flew a total of fifteen missions since the outbreak of war. As he had spent most of his service in training establishments, he had to start with a disadvantage in a fighter squadron. But he was a keen pilot and managed to polish up his fighter flying in a comparatively short time. He was always keen to fly operational missions. On 10 December 71, while flying in leading a section of two F-86s in Chamb Sector on a Close Air Support mission, his flight was engaged by six Hunters. Being heavily out-numbered, he was presumed to have been shot down by the enemy. He was officially declared missing in action. For his valour, courage, determination and devotion to duty, he was awarded Sitara-i-Juraat.

Ghulam Rabbani – Sitara-i-Jurat

Ishfaq Hameed - Sitara-i-Juraat
Squadron Leader Ishfaq Hameed was recalled from PIA for operational flying, with a B-57 Squadron. From the onset of the hostilities he displayed distinct qualities of patriotism and aggressiveness to achieve positive results. This was a source of inspiration to other aircrew. Unfortunately, he was unable to return from his second mission of the war on 5 December 71. Squadron Leader Ishfaq displayed exceptional determination and tenacity under adverse conditions that existed at his base from 4th morning of December till the night he went for his last mission. For his dedication, courage and display of excellent fighting spirit he was awarded Sitara-i-Juraat.

Khusro - Sitara-i-Juraat
Squadron Leader Khusro had retired from the PAF but was recalled for the war. In spite of many personal problems, he showed great keenness, courage, determination and fighting spirit. On 6 December 71, he volunteered for bombing mission to Jamnagar airfield regardless of the consequences. He failed to return from the mission and was officially declared missing in action. His fighting spirit, determination and devotion were an example to all aircrew of the unit. For his outstanding courage and devotion to duty, Squadron Leader Khusro was awarded the Sitara-i-Juraat.

Muhammad Nasir Dar - Sitara-i-Basalat
Squadron Leader Muhammad Nasir Dar, a signals officer, achieved Shahadat as a result of a direct bomb hit on his place of work during war. He continued to work in spite of the heavy air raid and declined to take shelter. For his devotion to his work above and beyond the call of duty, he was awarded the Sitara-i-Basalat.

Peter Christie - Sitara-i-Juraat
Squadron Leader Peter Christie was on deputation to PIAC when recalled for war duties. He showed great keenness to fly, and in spite of overwhelming family responsibilities, he was ever willing to take on any mission at any odd hour of the day or night. He was completely devoted to the task in hand. His sense of humor under war conditions, his dedication to the cause of the country and his personal courage contributed immensely to the Squadron's morale. On 6th December 71, he was detailed as navigator for a bombing mission to Jamnagar. He failed to return from the mission and was officially declared missing in action. For his personal example and complete devotion to duty, he was awarded Sitara-i-Juraat.

Flight Lieutenant;

A A M Saqlain - No Information Available

Afzal Jamal Siddiqui - Sitara-i-Basalat
Flight Lieutenant Afzal Jamal Siddiqui displayed outstanding keenness, enthusiasm and aggressiveness during the 1971 war right till the time he was shot down and killed by our own ground fire, while chasing an enemy SU-7 aircraft on 8 December 71. By then he had flown six operational missions. His cheerful, bold and selfless attitude contributed largely to the high morale of his fellow pilots and inspired them to fight the enemy with greater tenacity. For his spirited and aggressive approach towards operational commitments, his sustained display of courage and enthusiasm in the air and on the ground, he was awarded Sitara-i-Basalat.

Fazal Elahi - Sitara-i-Juraat
Flight Lieutenant Fazal Elahi was a young and energetic pilot. He flew the first two missions to Srinagar airfield and subsequent Close Air Support missions every day till 7th December 71. On 8th December, his aircraft was hit by ground fire in Chamb-Jaurian sector; the ground fire presumably hit a bomb fuse, causing the aircraft to explode. Flight Lieutenant Fazal always volunteered to fly irrespective of the danger of the mission. He displayed exemplary courage and determination at his young age in spite of limited experience. He was awarded the Sitara-i-Juraat.

Ghulam Murtaza - Tamgha-i-Juraat
Flight Lieutenant Ghulam Murtaza was an able and experienced navigator. He was a very active member of the squadron and always showed great enthusiasm and determination. He flew two missions against the most heavily defended Indian airfields and showed great bravery and courage in execution of these missions in complete disregard of personal safety. On 5th December 71, he was detailed as navigator on a bombing mission to Amritsar airfield. He failed to return from the mission and was officially declared missing in action. For his courage, determination and devotion to duty, he was awarded the Tamgha-i-Juraat.

Imdad Hussain

Javed Iqbal - Tamgha-i-Juraat
Flight Lieutenant Javed Iqbal flew two missions against heavily defended Indian airfields. He displayed great courage, enthusiasm and determination. Although he was the junior most pilot in the squadron, he volunteered for these missions in complete disregard for personal safety. His devotion and dedication was a source of pride for all aircrew of his unit. On 5th December 71, he was detailed on a bombing mission to Amritsar airfield. He failed to return from the mission and was officially declared missing in action. For his outstanding courage, determination and devotion to duty, he was awarded the Tamgha-i-Juraat.

Nayyar Iqbal

Saeed Afzal Khan - Sitara-i-Juraat
On 4th December 71, Flight Lieutenant Saeed Afzal Khan was flying as No. 2 in a formation of two F-86 aircraft, when he engaged four Indian Hunters and immediately shot one down. Meanwhile another formation of four Hunters joined the aerial battle. In the subsequent combat, although facing great odds, he was not deterred from attacking them. He put up a gallant fight with complete disregard to his own safety. Due to his determination and flying skill, he prevented every one of them from attacking their target i.e. Dhaka airfield. While being heavily outnumbered by superior performance aircraft, he continued the fight but was later shot down by a Hunter. He bailed out safely but was captured by the rebels and has been missing since then. For his courage, determination and devotion to duty, he was awarded the Sitara-i-Juraat.

Syed Safi Mustafa - Sitara-i-Juraat
Flight Lieutenant Syed Safi Mustafa was Flight Commander of No. 246 Squadron PAF. Towards the end of February 71, orders were issued for MOUs to regroup and take shelter with the nearest army garrison due to the insecure conditions created by civil agitation. Flight Lieutenant Safi Mustafa along with 37 airmen thereupon took refuge with the East Pakistan Rifles' Headquarters at Mymensingh. Throughout the period of civil strife and agitation, he continued to look after his men with great courage and dedication. On 16th March he came to Dhaka for a day where he was advised by friends and relatives not to go back to his unit because of the prevailing danger to non-locals. He was, however, determined to return to his post and was in contact with the Base till 27th March. The evidence available indicates that in all probability, he was executed by the rebels on 17th April 1971. For his gallantry and dedication, Flight Lieutenant Syed Safi Mustafa was awarded the Sitara-i-Juraat.

Abdul Samad Changazi - Sitara-i-Juraat
Flight Lieutenant Abdul Samad Changezi flew eleven missions on F-104 during the war. Despite his limited experience, he was very keen and aggressive. He was responsible for the destruction of an enemy radar station and damage to one of their aircraft. In the last mission, disregarding the danger to his life, he pursued his attack on an enemy aircraft till he was shot down by an enemy missile. For his act of valour and for sacrificing his life for the cause of the country, he was awarded the Sitara-i-Juraat.

Syed Shahid Raza - Tamgha-i-Juraat
Flight lieutenant Syed Shahid Raza flew a total of eleven operational missions during the war. Throughout the period, the officer displayed an extremely high standard of professional skill, aggressiveness and determination. On 5th December 71, during an aerial engagement, Flight Lieutenant Raza was credited with one enemy Hunter aircraft shot down. On the evening of 17th December, while off duty, he requested to be detailed for a close support mission. His aircraft was hit by enemy ground fire during that mission, and he was heard to be ejecting in enemy territory. He was officially declared missing in action. For his courage, determination and devotion to duty, he was awarded the Tamgha-i-Juraat.

Muhammad Wasim Ansari - Tamgha-i-Basalat
Flight Lieutenant Muhammad Wasim Ansari, a signals officer, achieved Shahadat as a result of direct bomb hit on his place of work. This officer, inspired by a feeling of patriotism, carried on working under extremely dangerous conditions. This was above and beyond the call of duty. He was awarded the Tamgha-i-Basalat.

Zulfiqar Ahmed - Sitara-i-Juraat
Flight Lieutenant Zulfiqar Ahmed was employed as a navigator on a B-57 aircraft. Although he could not return from his second mission of the war, he displayed outstanding qualities of courage and keenness to undertake the most arduous missions from the very onset of operations. This was a source of inspiration to others since he was one of the youngest crew members in the bomber organization. On the first day of operations, when only experienced and mature aircrew was being selected for the first strikes, Zulfiqar insisted on being included. He was eventually detailed for a mission to Jodhpur which was very successful. For his determination, courage and tenacity, he was awarded the Sitara-i-Juraat.

Flying Officer;

Nasim Nisar Ali Baig - Tamgha-i-Juraat
Flying Officer Nasim Nisar Ali Baig flew a total of eight successful operational missions during the 1971 war. During all those missions he displayed exemplary courage, dedication and professionalism in spite of his limited experience. On 13th December 71, he was ordered to get airborne from a forward base to intercept intruding enemy aircraft. Immediately after take-off he was intercepted by three enemy fighters. Placed in a very vulnerable situation, Flying Officer Baig maneuvered his aircraft with determination and aggressiveness but was unable to gain an advantageous position because he was outnumbered during a critical stage of fight. He was subsequently shot down and fatally injured. For his valour, courage and undaunted spirit he was awarded the Tamgha-i-Juraat.

Corporal Technician;

Syed Shaukat Ali - Tamgha-i-Juraat
Corporal Technician Syed Shaukat Ali while a POW in India conducted himself in an upright and fearless manner. He twice tried to escape from the POW camp. In the second attempt he received serious bullet injuries; even then he pounced upon the armed guard in a bid to prevent him from firing at his colleague Corporal Technician Nawab. For his outstanding and excellent performance, he was awarded the Tamgha-i-Juraat.

Junior Technician

Mohammed Latif - Tamgha-i-Juraat
During an enemy air raid, realizing that the pilots strapped in air defence alert aircraft were exposed to grave danger, Junior Technician Mohammed Latif disregarded his personal safety, ran up to each aircraft and helped the pilots to unstrap and take cover. In this process he was fatally wounded by enemy fire and died soon after. For his outstanding courage and devotion to duty, he was awarded the Tamgha-i-Juraat.

Leading Aircraft Men

Mohammed Azam Nasir - Tamgha-i-Juraat
During an enemy raid at PAF Chander, instead of taking shelter, Leading Aircraftman Mohammed Azam Nasir proudly faced the Indian bomber with G-3 rifle and kept on firing at the attacking aircraft. A bomb fell about six yards from his trench and buried him alongwith other occupants of the trench. All except he were dug out alive. For his outstanding courage and devotion to duty, he was awarded the Tamgha-i-Juraat.

1971 GALLANTRY AWARDS

Air Marshal;

A Rahim Khan - Hilal-i-Juraat

Group Captain

Inam H Khan - Hilal-i-Juraat

Wing Commander

Hakimullah - Sitara-i-Juraat
Wing Commander Hakimullah was commanding a fighter bomber squadron during the Indo-Pakistan War, 1971. He led five strike missions against heavily defended enemy airfields. Every mission, led by him, including the first strike against Amritsar, was flown with tremendous courage and exceptional professional skill. He flew with nerve and cool composure, which was a source of inspiration to his team in particular and everyone else connected with operational activity in general. During some of these strikes his formation was intercepted by enemy fighters over Indian airfields. Wing Commander Hakimullah lived up to the highest traditions of leadership during these critical moments and accomplished the primary mission. Throughout the war, his unit inspired by him, flew boldly and without any losses in aircraft or pilot. For his gallant and professional performance, He has been awarded Sitara-i-Juraat.

M. Afzal Choudhry - Sitara-i-Juraat

Mahmood Akhtar - Sitara-i-Basalat
Wing Commander Mahmood Akhtar was commanding a B-57 detachment during the war. From the onset of operations his performance was a source of inspiration to all. His personal example and courage under dangerous and trying conditions were never in doubt. Wing Commander Akhtar always went out of his way to fly the most difficult missions and proved time and again that there is no substitute for professionalism and determination. His example, Cheerful attitude and high moral kept the force together even under the most difficult conditions. He has time and again thrown personal safety aside and has launched missions during enemy raids at the Base, when he could easily have aborted them. For his courage, leadership and excellent administration he has been awarded Bar to Sitara-i-Basalat.

Syed Nisar Yunus - Sitara-i-Basalat
Wing Commander Syed Nasir Yunus was in Dhaka at the time the Army started operation in East Pakistan. He flew many hazardous transport missions for the initial deployment of the army to various places. This included recapture of some of the rebel-held airfields. Many a time, he received anonymous telephone calls to suspend C-130 operations; otherwise he and his crew would be killed. Undeterred by these threats he flew six to eight missions a day. He also flew recce missions to spot and locate enemy ships that were deployed in the Bay of Bengal. On one mission he was able to locate an element of three enemy ships, which turned to fire on his aircraft, but he was able to evade successfully. During December 1971, Wing Commander Yunus guided and conducted the operations of his squadron most ably. His devotion to duty has been a source of inspiration to all; Wing Commander Yunus has displayed conspicuous courage, determination and has made outstanding contribution to the over-all achievement of the P.A.F. In recognition of his services, Wing Commander Syed Nasir Yunus has been awarded Sitara-i-Basalat.

Squadron Leader

Abdul Basit - Sitara-i-Juraat
Squadron Leader Abdul Basit was detailed on an air mission against the I.A.F. Base at Halwara on the night of 10/11th December, 1971. He flew the mission as planned. While a few minutes short of the target four surface-to-air missiles were fired at his B-57 aircraft. He displayed great courage, skill and devotion to duty, evaded these missiles, continued on his mission and successfully attacked the target even though there was all the likelihood of the enemy firing more SAM's. For his courage, determination and devotion to duty Squadron Leader Abdul Basit has been awarded Sitara-i-Juraat.

Farooq Omer - Sitara-i-Juraat
Squadron Leader Farooq Omer was employed on day and night air defence and reconnaissance duties during the Indo-Pakistan war of 1971. He flew reconnaissance mission against heavily defended enemy airfields and forward army positions. He always flew with immense courage and determination. On one of the recce missions, because of a bird hit his aircraft sustained engine damage but he resolutely continued his mission and successfully completed it against a heavily defended enemy airfield. On an air defence mission, Squadron Leader Farooq Omer successfully intercepted an enemy formation of Hunter aircraft and shot down / damaged four of them. The immense courage and determination displayed by Squadron Leader Farooq Omer during the war was always a source of inspiration to other pilots of squadron. He has been awarded Sitara-i-Juraat.

Ghulam Ahmed Khan - Sitara-i-Juraat
Squadron Leader Ghulam Ahmed Khan was detailed along with Squadron Leader A. Basit on a counter air mission against the I.A.F. Base at Halwara on the night of 10/11th December, 1971. He flew the mission as planned. While a few minutes short of the target 4 SAMs were fired at his B-57 aircraft. He displayed great courage, skill and devotion to duty, assisted his pilot in evading these missiles, continuing the mission and successfully attacking the target even though there was all the likelihood of the enemy firing more SAMs. For his courage, determination and devotion to duty Squadron Leader Ghulam Ahmed Khan has been awarded Sitara-i-Juraat.

Hassan Akhtar - Sitara-i-Basalat

Javed Afzal Ahmed - Sitara-i-Juraat
On 4th December, 1971 while flying on an air defence mission, Squadron Leader Javed Afzal Ahmed intercepted a formation of four Hunters approaching Dhaka airfield. During the combat he shot down two Hunters and chased away the others, thus preventing them from attacking any target. In the same mission, he engaged a formation of two SU-7 aircraft's which were attacking a Pakistan Army helicopter and chased them away. Throughout the war he fought valiantly. For his courage and excellent performance in the face of heavy odds, Squadron Leader Afzal has been awarded Sitara-i-Juraat.

Maqsood Ahmed - Sitara-i-Basalat

M. R. Akhtar - Sitara-i-Basalat

Nazir Ahmed Khan - Sitara-i-Basalat
Squadron Leader Nazir Ahmed Khan, S.J., has consistently displayed outstanding courage, determination and devotion to duty both during peace and war. Squadron Leader Nazir was among the first crews to participate in the operations in East Pakistan. This involved flying long and tiring hours in adverse weather and hostile environment. He displayed the highest degree of devotion, courage and determination and flew extensively to deploy Army elements for recapture of rebel-held areas. Determined to carry out the task, he flew without any regard for personal comfort. While operating from Jessore his aircraft was hit by ground fire from the rebels surrounding the air field. Undeterred by the prevailing danger he flew on similar missions for re-capture and support of Lalmunir Hat, Ishurdi and other places. His fortitude and courage proved a great source of inspiration to others. During the December war he displayed exceptional courage, determination and devotion to duty. Squadron Leader Nazir Ahmed Khan has been awarded Sitara-i-Basalat.

Flight Lieutenant

Abdul Karim Bhatti - Tamgha-i-Juraat
On 7th December, 1971, Flight Lieutenant Abdul Karim Bhatti sighted two Hunters during a close support mission. On leader's instructions he engaged one of the Hunters, pursued it for about 15 miles over enemy territory and finally shot it down. In the process he lost contact with his leader. Flight Lieutenant Bhatti, alone and without any cover, pursued the attack, disregarding his personal safety and achieved a kill. For his devotion to duty and courageous performance, he has been awarded Tamgha-i-Juraat.

Abdul Wajid Saleem - Sitara-i-Juraat
Flight Lieutenant Abdul Wajid Saleem was the navigator of an aircraft detailed on a mission against an P.A.F. base on the night of 6/7th December, 1971. He planned the mission with great care. During the flight, Flight Lieutenant Abdul Wajid displayed a high degree of professionalism and courage which were a source of inspiration to all other crew members. As the aircraft approached the target it encountered heavy anti-aircraft fire. His accurate tactical navigation ensured a successful mission against heavy odds. In recognition of his devotion to duty and courage, Flight Lieutenant Abdul Wajid Saleem has been awarded Sitara-i-Juraat.

Israr Ahmed - Sitara-i-Juraat
On 4th December, 1971, Flight Lieutenant Israr Ahmad was detailed to fly a mission over the Chamb-Akhnur sector. While over the battle area, his aircraft was hit by enemy ground fire and the pilot was seriously injured. In spite of his injuries, the pilot climbed to height, flew the aircraft and landed at a base during an air raid warning. When he was removed from the cockpit it was found that his right upper arm bone was shattered and he was suffering from serious loss of blood. Flight Lieutenant Israr showed tremendous courage and determination in flying the aircraft back and landing at his base with his left arm in spite of his injuries. In doing this, he displayed sterling qualities of devotion to duty and courage and determination. In recognition of his performance, he has been awarded Sitara-i-Juraat.

Javed Ahmed - Sitara-i-Juraat
Flight lieutenant Javed Ahmed flew a total of 12 operational missions during the war. He conducted all the missions with courage, skill and in complete disregard of his personal safety. On 4th December, 1971 Flight Lieutenant Javed was detailed to fly as No.2 on an air defence mission. As he was scrambled for take-off, the airfield was subjected to a surprise attack by two enemies Hunter aircraft. Flight Lieutenant Javed was about to take off when the enemy aircraft spotted the aircraft on the runway and commenced a strafing attack forcing the leader to abort. With total disregard to his personal safety this pilot continued his take-off with the enemy bullets landing just to the left of his aircraft. After successfully getting airborne, Flight Lieutenant Javed intercepted the raiders and shot down one of the Hunters. In continuing his take-off in the face of grave danger to his life and subsequently shooting down the enemy aircraft Flight Lieutenant Javed has lived up to the true traditions of the P.A.F. For his display of the highest standard of initiatives, courage and professional skill beyond the call of duty, Flight Lieutenant Javed Ahmed has been awarded Sitara-i-Juraat.

Javed Latif - Tamgha-i-Juraat
During the war, Flight Lieutenant Javed Latif flew twenty operational missions in Air Defence role and displayed professional excellence, cool courage and aggressive spirit of a very high order. Throughout the war, he remained undeterred by hazards posed to his personal safety and undertook tasks assigned to him even though their execution was fraught with many risks. On 4th December, 1971 at 0920 hours he was ordered to scramble for combat air patrol. When he was still in the process of starting up his aircraft, the airfield was attacked by two enemy SU-7s. His aircraft pen received a direct rocket hit but luckily no damage was caused to his aircraft. Under the circumstances he was fully justified to abandon his aircraft and take cover but he decided to continue his mission and successfully destroyed one enemy SU-7 aircraft which attacked the airfield ten minutes later. For his professional excellence, cool courage and a high degree of aggressive spirit when in contact with the enemy, Flight Lieutenant Javed Latif has been awarded Tamgha-i-Juraat.

Maqsood Amir - Tamgha-i-Juraat
Flight Lieutenant Maqsood Amir was detailed to carry out a close support mission in an F-86 aircraft on 17th December, 1971. During the mission his formation was engaged by four MIG-21s. Although the F-86 was in a vulnerable position, Flight Lieutenant Maqsood took aggressive evasive action and swiftly maneuvered to gain offensive on the enemy. In the ensuing combat, he handled his aircraft against a much superior adversary in a professional and skillful manner and shot down one of the MIG-21s. The sequence of shooting recorded by his aircraft camera film reflects a very high professional standard. For his courage and high professional skill, he has been awarded Tamgha-i-Juraat.

Mir Alam Khan - Sitara-i-Juraat
Flight Lieutenant Mir Alam Khan was detailed on a mission against an I.A.F. base on 6th December, 1971. At the time of his take-off, the airfield came under enemy raid. Undaunted by the danger, he took off during the raid and proceeded on his mission. Despite heavy anti-aircraft fire he successfully completed his mission. During this mission, his aircraft also received a hit from anti-aircraft fire. However, he successfully exited leaving behind his target in flames. The fire was also seen by another friendly aircraft flying thirty miles away. Flight Lieutenant Mir Alam Khan's action in the execution of his mission bears testimony to his undaunted courage and devotion to duty in keeping with the highest traditions of the service. He has been awarded Sitara-i-Juraat.

Taloot Mirza -Tamgha-i-Juraat
Flight Lieutenant Taloot Mirza flew a total of fifteen operational missions and was engaged in aerial combat thrice. He demonstrated a high degree of cool courage in both ground attack and aerial combat. On 10th December, 1971, when on a close support mission, his formation of two aircrafts was engaged by six enemy SU-7 aircrafts. Flight Lieutenant Taloot accepted the challenge coolly and successfully destroyed one SU-7 in the face of heavy odds. For his courage and dedication to service he has been awarded Tamgha-i-Juraat.

Flying Officer

Mohammad Shamsul Haq - Sitara-i-Juraat
During the war Flying Officer Mohammad Shamsul Haq, being the youngest member of the squadron with the least experience of flying, acquitted himself with exemplary courage and skill. On 4th December, 1971 he was ordered to scramble and intercept a formation of four SU-7 aircraft's attacking Dhaka airfield. As he got airborne, the SU-7s attacked his formation with missiles. He very coolly broke into the attacking aircraft at very low speed and asked his wingman to do the same and in the ensuing battle shot down on SU-7. Meanwhile four Hunters joined the battle. He engaged these Hunters and shot down two of them. There-after he was attacked by 4 MIG-21's. He put off their attack by quick planning and superior handling of aircraft. Against such heavy odds he displayed exemplary courage and leadership. Flying Officer Shamsul Haq has been awarded Sitara-i-Juraat.

Riffat Jamil - Sitara-i-Juraat
Flying Officer Riffat Jamil flew as a co-pilot on a bombing mission to Jaisalmir on 6th December, 1971. He made a significant contribution to the success of the mission as result of which the enemy suffered heavy losses. In recognition of his courage and determination, he has been awarded Sitara-i-Juraat

Syed Shamshad Ahmed - Sitara-i-Juraat
On 4th December, 1971 Flying Officer Syed Shamshad Ahmed was scrambled to intercept a formation of four SU-7s attacking Dhaka airfield. As he got airborne he was attacked by the SU-7s with missiles. He put off their attack by superior handling of his aircraft. In the same mission he intercepted a formation of four Hunters. In the subsequent air battle he shot down one Hunter. On another mission he spotted one Hunter attacking our troop positions. Fearlessly he engaged that aircraft and shot it down. Though very young and having very little experience of fighter flying he kept his spirits high and displayed great courage throughout the war. For his courage, skill and performance, Flying Officer Syed Shamshad Ahmed has been awarded Sitara-i-Juraat.

Warrant officer

Abdul Haq - Tamgha-i-Juraat

Senior Technician

Asghar Ali - Tamgha-i-Juraat

Sajjad Shah - Tamgha-i-Juraat

Flight Sargent

Abdul Majid - Tamgha-i-Basalat
Abdul Rashid - Tamgha-i-Basalat
Amir-ud-din - Tamgha-i-Basalat

Corporal

Afzal Abbasi - Tamgha-i-Juraat
Muhammad Ghazanfar - Tamgha-i-Juraat

Junior Technician

Muhammad Latif - Tamgha-i-Juraat
During an enemy air raid, realizing that the pilots strapped in air defence alert aircraft were exposed to grave danger, Junior Technician Muhammad Latif disregarded his personal safety, ran up to each aircraft and helped the pilots to unstrap and take cover. In this process he was fatally wounded by enemy fire and died soon after. For his outstanding courage and devotion to duty, he was awarded the Tamgha-i-Juraat.

LEST WE FORGET…!!!

PAF s' Specials
Article: Shahbaz Over Golan

by Air Cdre (Retd) Kaiser Tufail

Post-haste summons for volunteers found an eager band of sixteen PAF fighter pilots on their way to the Middle East, in the midst of the 1973 Ramadan war. After a grueling Peshawar-Karachi-Baghdad flight on a PAF C-130, they were whisked off to Damascus by road. Upon arrival, half the batch was told to stay back in Syria while the rest were earmarked for Egypt. By the time the PAF batch reached Cairo, Egypt had agreed to a cease-fire; it was therefore decided that they would continue as instructors. But in Syria, it was another story.

The batch in Syria was made up of pilots who were already serving there on deputation (except one), but had been repatriated before the war. Now they were back in familiar surroundings as well as familiar aircraft, the venerable MiG-21. They were posted to No 67 Squadron, Alpha Detachment (all PAF). Hasty checkouts were immediately followed by serious business of Air Defence Alert scrambles and Combat Air Patrols from the air base at Dumayr near Damascus.

Syria had not agreed to a cease-fire, since Israeli operations in Golan were continuing at a threatening pace. Israeli Air Force missions included interdiction under top cover, well supported by intense radio jamming as the PAF pilots discovered. The PAF formation, using the call sign ‘Shahbaz,’ was formidable in size – all of eight aircraft. Shahbaz soon came to stand out as one that couldn't be messed with, in part because its tactics were innovative and bold. Survival, however, in a jammed-radio environment was concern number one. As a precaution, the Pakistanis decided to switch to Urdu for fear of being monitored in English. Suspicions were confirmed during one patrol, when healthy Punjabi invectives hurled on radio got them wondering if Mossad had recruited a few ‘Khalsas[1]’ for the job!

After several months of sporadic activity, it seemed that hostilities were petering out. While the Shahbaz patrols over Lebanon and Syria had diminished in frequency, routine training sorties started to register a rise. Under these conditions it was a surprise when on the afternoon of 26th April 1974, the siren blasted from the airshafts of the underground bunker. Backgammon boards were pushed aside and the coffee session was interrupted as all eight pilots rushed to their MiGs; they were airborne within minutes. From Dumayr to Beirut, then along the Mediterranean coast till Sidon, and a final leg eastwards, skirting Damascus and back to Base – this was the usual patrol, flown at an altitude of 20,000 ft. The limited fuel of their early model MiG-21F permitted just a 30-minute sortie; this was almost over when ground radar blurted out on the radio that two bogeys were approaching from the southerly direction ie, Israel. At this stage fuel was low and an engagement was the least preferred option. Presented with a fait accompli, the leader of the formation called a defensive turn into the bogeys. Just then heavy radio jamming started, sounding somewhat similar to the ‘takka tak[2]’ at our meat joints, only more shrill. While the formation was gathering itself after the turn, two Israeli F-4E Phantoms sped past almost head-on, seemingly unwilling to engage. Was it a bait?

Flt Lt Sattar Alvi, now the rear-most in the formation, was still adjusting after the hard turn when he caught sight of two Mirage-IIICJ zooming into them from far below. With no way of warning the formation of the impending disaster, he instinctively decided to handle them alone. Peeling away from his formation, he turned hard into the Mirages so that one of them overshot. Against the other, he did a steep reversal dropping his speed literally to zero. (It takes some guts to let eight tons of metal hang up in unfriendly air!) The result was that within moments, the second Mirage filled his gunsight. While Sattar worried about having to concentrate for precious seconds in aiming and shooting, the lead Mirage started to turn around to get Sattar. Thinking that help was at hand, the target Mirage decided to accelerate away. A quick-witted Sattar reckoned that a missile shot would be just right for the range his target had opened up to. A pip of a button later, a K-13 heat-seeker sped off towards the tail of the escaping Mirage. Sattar recollects that it wasn’t as much an Israeli aircraft as a myth that seemed to explode in front of him. (The letter ‘J’ in Mirage-IIICJ stood for ‘Jewish,’ it may be noted.) He was tempted to watch the flaming metal rain down, but with the other Mirage lurking around and fuel down to a few hundred litres, he decided to exit. Diving down with careless abandon, he allowed a couple of sonic bangs over Damascus. (Word has it that the Presidential Palace wasn't amused!) His fuel tanks bone dry, Sattar made it to Dumayr on the vapours that remained.

As the other formation members started to trickle in, the leader, Sqn Ldr Arif Manzoor anxiously called out for Sattar to check if he was safe. All had thought that Sattar, a bit of a maverick that he was, had landed himself in trouble. Shouts of joy went up on the radio, however, when they learnt that he had been busy shooting down a Mirage.

The Syrians were overwhelmed when they learnt that the impunity and daring of the Pakistani pilots had paid off. Sattar was declared a blood brother, for he had shared in shedding the blood of a common enemy, the Syrians explained!

Sattar's victim Captain M Lutz[3] of No 5 Air Wing based at Hatzor, ejected out of his disintegrating aircraft. It has been learnt that the Mirages were on a reconnaissance mission, escorted by Phantoms of No 1 Air Wing operating out of Ramat David Air Base. The Phantoms were to trap any interceptors while the Mirages carried out the recce. Timely warning by the radar controller (Flt Lt Saleem Metla, also from the PAF) had turned the tables on the escorts, allowing Sattar to sort out the Mirages.

The success of Shahbaz over Golan is testimony to the skills of all PAF pilots, insists Sattar, as he thinks any one could have got the kill had he been ‘Shahbaz-8’ on that fateful day. The Syrian Government awarded the Wisam al-Shuja'a to all the formation members. Additionally, Sattar and Arif were admitted as ‘knights’ (al-faris) in the coveted Wisam al-Istehqaq al-Suriya, one of the country’s highest awards for honourable and devoted service. The Government of Pakistan awarded Sattar and Arif with a Sitara-i-Jur’at as well. Sattar, an epitome of a fighter pilot, befittingly went on to command PAF’s elite Combat Commanders’ School and the premier PAF Base, Rafiqui. Many a fighter pilot trained by Sattar would swear by his audaciousness in the air. Even today, crew room lore persists that fighter pilots don’t come any bolder!
PAF Falcons - PAF s' Specials - Shahbaz Over Golan

Oh for godsake Mastan Bhai - Jaaan davooo ghusaaaa ! :blink:

Why criticize for the sake of 'criticizing' ? :what:

My goodman,

Some people keep coming back for more and more---and when I read Bossman's post---I remembered this joke---he keeps coming back for more and more just like this hunter----So read and enjoy

" A hunter decides one day that he is going to go into the woods and try to hunt a bear. He searches for several hours until he comes across a meadow and walking across the meadow is a big bear. The hunter gets ready to take his shot and just before he pulls the trigger a big heavy paw falls on his shoulder. He turns around and standing there is an even bigger bear. Then the bear says to the hunter "ok you have two choices I can either kill you or we can have sex." The hunter who doesnt want to die agrees to have sex with the bear. After they are done the hunter returns to his house mad as hell. He swears that he is going to get revenge on the bear and kill it. So the next day he again goes into the woods looking for the bear that raped him. He comes to the same meadow and sees a bear walking across. He again gets ready to shoot and get his revenge when again a paw lands on his shoulder. He turns around and there stands the bear again. The bear gives the hunter the same two choices he can either be killed or have sex with the bear. Again the hunter has sex with the bear and returns to his house and he is totally furious that he got raped again. So the next day he again goes into the woods looking for the bear so he can shoot it. He goes to same meadow and is sitting there waiting for the bear to appear when once again he feels a paw land on his shoulder. He turns around looks up at the bear and then the bear smiles and says "you dont come here for the hunting do you?"

My goodman,

Some people keep coming back for more and more---and when I read Bossman's post---I remembered this joke---he keeps coming back for more and more just like this hunter----So read and enjoy

" A hunter decides one day that he is going to go into the woods and try to hunt a bear. He searches for several hours until he comes across a meadow and walking across the meadow is a big bear. The hunter gets ready to take his shot and just before he pulls the trigger a big heavy paw falls on his shoulder. He turns around and standing there is an even bigger bear. Then the bear says to the hunter "ok you have two choices I can either kill you or we can have sex." The hunter who doesnt want to die agrees to have sex with the bear. After they are done the hunter returns to his house mad as hell. He swears that he is going to get revenge on the bear and kill it. So the next day he again goes into the woods looking for the bear that raped him. He comes to the same meadow and sees a bear walking across. He again gets ready to shoot and get his revenge when again a paw lands on his shoulder. He turns around and there stands the bear again. The bear gives the hunter the same two choices he can either be killed or have sex with the bear. Again the hunter has sex with the bear and returns to his house and he is totally furious that he got raped again. So the next day he again goes into the woods looking for the bear so he can shoot it. He goes to same meadow and is sitting there waiting for the bear to appear when once again he feels a paw land on his shoulder. He turns around looks up at the bear and then the bear smiles and says "you dont come here for the hunting do you?"

Last time I read a fairy tale or an Aesop fable I was kid so obviously I did not or for that matter anybody else on this forum read Mastaan's story. But I do appreciate the attention he is giving me.I must have touched upon something sensitive this time.

After the government change, and a budget announcement in june, can we expect a steady flow of funds for our delayed projects i.e., jf-17, ak2, next gen. subs, new gun ships?

do you think there is any left or that this government is going to be correct?

After the government change, and a budget announcement in june, can we expect a steady flow of funds for our delayed projects i.e., jf-17, ak2, next gen. subs, new gun ships?

not for a while.......

Not within a year atleast, economy takes alot of time to put back in order.

One thing that Nawaz Sharif can be expected to do is do something better with the economy.

Nigeria To Partner With Pakistan Airforce On Security – www.channelstv.com

Nigeria on Tuesday agreed to strengthen military ties with Pakistan through training and supply of defence equipment.

The agreement was reached at a meeting between the head of Pakistan air force, Air Chief Marshal Tahir Rafique-Butt and top Nigerian military officers in Abuja.

Air Chief Marshal Rafique-Butt, who is on a five-day visit to the country, arrived at the Nigerian Airforce Headquarters in the company of the Nigerian Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Alex Bardeh.

The visitor told the Nigerian military authorities that the Pakistan air force is eager to collaborate with the Nigerian military to ensure that the country becomes a self-sufficient air force like Pakistan.

Air Marshal Bardeh thanked the Pakistani delegation for its assistance to the Nigerian Airforce and requested for more assistance and cooperation between the two countries.

Air Chief Marshal Rafique-Butt restated the need for cooperation, saying he looked forward to seeing the discussions and memorandum of understanding turning to tangible actions.

AFM - June Issue

Supplement - 2013 MILITARY DISPLAY TEAMS of the World
Mark Broadbent details all the military demonstration teams from around the world in our 16-page pull-out special.

wondering if PAF Sherdils are detailed?

AFM - June Issue

Supplement - 2013 MILITARY DISPLAY TEAMS of the World
Mark Broadbent details all the military demonstration teams from around the world in our 16-page pull-out special.

wondering if PAF Sherdils are detailed?

They were but there were very little details.

It mentioned aircraft type, brief history, airshows attended, display routine and the names of pilots (Pakistani pilots weren't named)

Nigeria To Partner With Pakistan Airforce On Security – www.channelstv.com

Nigeria on Tuesday agreed to strengthen military ties with Pakistan through training and supply of defence equipment.

The agreement was reached at a meeting between the head of Pakistan air force, Air Chief Marshal Tahir Rafique-Butt and top Nigerian military officers in Abuja.

Air Chief Marshal Rafique-Butt, who is on a five-day visit to the country, arrived at the Nigerian Airforce Headquarters in the company of the Nigerian Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Alex Bardeh.

The visitor told the Nigerian military authorities that the Pakistan air force is eager to collaborate with the Nigerian military to ensure that the country becomes a self-sufficient air force like Pakistan.

Air Marshal Bardeh thanked the Pakistani delegation for its assistance to the Nigerian Airforce and requested for more assistance and cooperation between the two countries.

Air Chief Marshal Rafique-Butt restated the need for cooperation, saying he looked forward to seeing the discussions and memorandum of understanding turning to tangible actions.

I think PAC should sell them about:
30-50 Super Mushak
20+ K-8s
10 Falco
and other UAV from NESCOM, KRL and GIDS.

Back
Top Bottom