What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

Mectron's MAR-1 to be operational in Pakistan next year:

Robert Hewson, Rio de Janeirio:

2013-04-18

Brazil's Mectron will start deliveries of operational MAR-1 anti-radiation missiles to Pakistan next year.

Under a contract announced by Brazil and Pakistan in 2008, Mectron has now completed MAR-1 integration with Pakistan's Mirage III/V aircraft and has also handed over the mission planning, logistics, and support equipment, plus MAR-1 training rounds and simulators to the Pakistan Air Force (PAF). However, some final development testing remains to be done with the missile in Brazil. Mectron says once this is completed the way will be clear to deliver fully operational 'warshot' missiles to both Brazil and Pakistan.

"MAR deliveries will begin next year and we have to deliver to Pakistan next year," stressed one Mectron source, pointing to the company's contractual obligations. In December 2008, Brazil's Chamber of Foreign Commerce ( Camara de Comercio Exterior ) approved export funding guarantees for the sale of 100 MAR-1 missiles to Pakistan.

Speaking at the LAAD 2013 defence exhibition, held in Rio de Janeiro from 9-12 April, a senior official stated : "The plans for Brazil and Pakistan are progressing in parallel, but Pakistan is pressing harder because it needs the missile more urgently. In Brazil the FAB [Força Aérea Brasileira] wants to operate the MAR-1 on its A-1M (upgraded Embraer AMX) aircraft and is waiting for that aircraft to be properly established in service so it can do the missile integration work in one pass. For the PAF, the Mirage integration is already finished; that work started in Brazil and was completed in Pakistan."

Mectron has integrated the MAR-1 on the Mirage using a stand-alone weapon controller with a separate computer that is independent of the aircraft's other systems. Mectron notes that while the PAF also plans to integrate the MAR-1 on its JF-17 Thunder lightweight fighters, that work has not yet been placed under contract. "We are not dealing with the Chinese today," said a Mectron official, adding that the Mirage integration work did not involve Dassault or any contact with France.

In November 2012, China's LOEC exhibited a new anti-radiation missile, the LOEC LD-10, that it said was intended to equip aircraft including the JF-17. A Mectron official commented: "We know China is developing an ARM, but we don't know if it works. We know that our missile does."

JDW

...that work started in Brazil and was completed in Pakistan."

What does this mean???

Did we send any aircraft to Brazil or were these tests of another kind?

Another thing is that the guy commented that they didn't deal with the French for integration with the Mirage, while he says that they haven't contacted the Chinese for the JFT. So why would they need to contact the Chinese for JFT integration (a joint venture) while they can do it alone with Mirage?

^^^^ i didnt understand this non sense on the part of PAF if the news is true ...why the hell should they focus on the integration of MAR-1 on a decades old junk aircrafts like mirages why not straight away go with jf-17 ...even the article mentions that integration with jf-17 is not on the table right now and jf-17 might use chinese anti-radiation missile then wats the point in contracting for the missiles from brazil for aircarfts that have no future and are destined to retire soon

PAF is making mess of everything ....they have no vision just messing up things ....firstly fc-20 disappear from the scene then no block-2 and now this ...irk ...

btw once again those who said way back in 2011 that MAR-1s have been delivered according to their insider sources have become a laughing stock ....lol these insiders and their agents

What does this mean???

Did we send any aircraft to Brazil or were these tests of another kind?

Another thing is that the guy commented that they didn't deal with the French for integration with the Mirage, while he says that they haven't contacted the Chinese for the JFT. So why would they need to contact the Chinese for JFT integration (a joint venture) while they can do it alone with Mirage?

Brazil has Mirages III/V also - the work was replicated on PAF Mirages ROSE only. they dont have JFT. pretty simple really.

^^^^ i didnt understand this non sense on the part of PAF if the news is true ...why the hell should they focus on the integration of MAR-1 on a decades old junk aircrafts like mirages why not straight away go with jf-17 ...even the article mentions that integration with jf-17 is not on the table right now and jf-17 might use chinese anti-radiation missile then wats the point in contracting for the missiles from brazil for aircarfts that have no future and are destined to retire soon

PAF is making mess of everything ....they have no vision just messing up things ....firstly fc-20 disappear from the scene then no block-2 and now this ...irk ...

btw once again those who said way back in 2011 that MAR-1s have been delivered according to their insider sources have become a laughing stock ....lol these insiders and their agents

earlier news was about 'integration' only. people can mix things up.

Because they are still going to be our frontline bomber aircraft for the next 3 or so years.

Tell me when was the first JFT rolled out from the production line? ANd how many we have now? And what is the requirement? So Mirages are now going to be put in museums anytime soon, those ROSE Mirages are still going to do a good job. First IFR probe on the Mirage shows the future plans for Mirage in minds of PAF.

earlier news was about 'integration' only. people can mix things up.

nah sir ji ...i clearly remember many members claiming the deliveries of MAR-1s time and time again even some claimed about C-130s that were in brazil for MAR-1 deliveries ...

about integration i still cant pick why the hell would PAF want these missiles to be integrated only on junk aircarfts like mirages that should be retired as soon as possible

You are so right, PAF has no vision. It wasn't PAF that signed the deal in 2008 when the missile was only on papers, Brazilians came to PAF themselves to honour the "PDF fan boy visionaries" like yourself.

IIRC,,, In 2011 Dubai airshow,, JDW published a long article on JF-17 and in that article, JF-17 project director AVM Javaid Ahmad clearly said, MAR-1 anti radiation missile has been integrated on JF-17 and it was the first thing that we integrated on JF-17....Was project director lying ?

Or is it Training round was integrated with JF-17? and also in last year karachi expo, for the first time we saw MAR-1 with JF-17, so it was actually a training round?

One more thing, We all thought when PAF signed the deal, MAR-1 was already in production phase and it would be delivered in one or two years. That 2011 JDW article made us think MAR-1 has been integrated and 2012 visual proof made us believe MAR-1 has actually been delivered but now today we came to know actual missile is yet to be produced

So it was a lie or a misconception on our behalf which led us to believe MAR-1 is in production phase?

You are so right, PAF has no vision. It wasn't PAF that signed the deal in 2008 when the missile was only on papers, Brazilians came to PAF themselves to honour the "PDF fan boy visionaries" like yourself.

if you can read my post again i was referring to the integration of MAR-1 on mirages and not on jf-17...dont come to conclusions on your own....and dnt teach me wat paf has been upto no need to remind time and time again about the delays in the fc-20 and jf-17 block 2 programs and dnt even need to remind what happened to erieyes

Should be...but aren't going to be.

Replacing 150 odd aircraft is no easy task mind you.

and whose fault is that ?

Because of the JFT program lagging behind...right now the third squadron hasn't stood up, let alone replacing the ROSE Mirages.

thats what i am talking about, doesnt it come under the fault of paf

So they shouldn't have bought the Mirages?

nah i never said that ...i am referring to delays in fc-20 (if ACM tanveer mahmood stood correct in his claim in 2009) and jf-17 block2 , You have so many aircrafts to retire ....if you see PAF has more than 50% of aircrafts that need to be retired sooner ....most of the fleet comprises of 3rd generation aircrafts

Back
Top Bottom