What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

50 or 60 million a copy not a big issue we will be ok can repay with 100 million a yr but look what we getting at what price indian rafale will fizzle out before they land in India.
Plus we should lobby Americans for used F16s as well Two Sqd of used F16 with two Sqd of EF gave us enough time to fix economy and look at fifth generation.

The country cannot pay its short term debt and no one is paying taxes the economy is in tanks and 60 million a pop is no issue ;)

Stop electing crooks

I doubt anything will happen is short to medium term other Than block 3

If we can pick up the storage aircraft at a reasonable price, they would be ideal replacement for the held back Vipers and a good stop gap measure until Block-3 Thunders become operational.
There was news the Austria is also keen on selling their EFT's. It is not a bad option if PAF can manage to procure not just the Italian and Spanish ones but also the Austrian ones.
These can be used for ADA freeing up the F-16's for deep strike penetrations.

Although EFs could be welcome addition in PAF but it seems a far cry uncle Sam or UK may create hurdles. Also EFs are plagued with problems, some operators want to replace them due to accidents, crashes, operational costs. German air force had 10 EF operational out 128 due to maintenance issues few months ago. Developed countries are struggling to maintain their EFs I dont understand how PAF with lower budget will maintain these jets.

Can they be upgraded to T3?
Yes Typhoon can be upgraded to latest tranche. There is life cycle management projects under European Fighter Program. Germany is upgrading their Typhoon to Nuclear capable. British and Spanish Typhoons are upgraded to ground attacks and anti-ship capabilities. The most important factor is Meteor is certified by Euro Fighter Typhoon.
The Italian government was focused on F-35 program hence they didn't maintain life cycle of their Typhoon. Rather they order different tranche in each production run. Tranche is also a production run for Typhoon customers.

Last edited:
@Oscar @CriticalThought @GriffinsRule @Windjammer PAF isn't considering China's J-11D model. It ranges is good. Chinese engine is used in it so no problem with Russia. It has use huge amount of composite materials in it making it lighter in weight to its predecessor. More importantly, AESA radar and IRST is available. Some Chinese online platforms are considering it better than Russian SU-35 bcz it has AESA radar rather then Pessa.

I think Chinese would come to some deal with Russia if PAF requests it.

Good For CPEC also.

What are your thoughts??

@Oscar @CriticalThought @GriffinsRule @Windjammer PAF isn't considering China's J-11D model. It ranges is good. Chinese engine is used in it so no problem with Russia. It has use huge amount of composite materials in it making it lighter in weight to its predecessor. More importantly, AESA radar and IRST is available. Some Chinese online platforms are considering it better than Russian SU-35 bcz it has AESA radar rather then Pessa.

Good For CPEC also.

What are your thoughts??

PAF seems to be diversifying its aeronautical options. They have insisted on using Russian engines for the Thunder, for example. It is in our best interests to further solidify the relationship with Russia. SU-35 is battle proven in Syria against the F-22. That is why I personally favour it, backed by A-100 AEWACS system.

I am dying to see a PAF pilot in a Flanker plane and make it dance. Don't know when will my dream come true.

Although EFs could be welcome addition in PAF but it seems a far cry uncle Sam or UK may create hurdles. Also EFs are plagued with problems, some operators want to replace them due to accidents, crashes, operational costs. German air force had 10 EF operational out 128 due to maintenance issues few months ago. Developed countries are struggling to maintain their EFs I dont understand how PAF with lower budget will maintain these jets.
Because it is Europe original
To some parkistan friends,it is best

Good For CPEC also.

What are your thoughts??
It is not a mature platform yet and the J-11 series has certain restrictions on it for export.

I don't want to act like the kill joy, but i'm curious...
Are there any American components on the EuroFrighter?
I'm asking because - the US had held back sales to countries even if a single component has been built in the US.

Example: Even France can't sell their airbus Commercial Aircrafts to Iran, because most airbus have American made stuff in them.

Air Platforms

China, Pakistan to jointly produce Wing Loong II UAVs, says report

Gabriel Dominguez, London and Rahul Bedi, New Delhi - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly

09 October 2018

The Chinese-developed Wing Loong II UAV during its maiden flight in February 2017. PAC and CAC will reportedly jointly bild 48 of these platforms for the Pakistani military. Source: Via Sina.com.cn

Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) Kamra and China's Chengdu Aircraft Corporation (CAC) will reportedly jointly produce 48 Wing Loong II strike-capable, reconnaissance unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).

The announcement, which was made on 6 October via the Facebook page of the Pakistan Air Force's (PAF's) Sherdils Aerobatic Team, was also covered by China's state-owned Global Times newspaper. However, no details were revealed about the value of the deal, when it was struck, the delivery schedule, and whether all of the platforms are intended for use by the Pakistani military.

If confirmed, the deal would be one of the largest-known foreign orders placed for the Chinese-developed turboprop-powered UAV.

The latest developments come after commercial satellite imagery captured on 24 November 2017 showed that the Pakistani military may already be operating the Wing Loong I UAV. The imagery showed what appeared to be a single Wing Loong I in front of a hangar at the (PAF's MM Alam airbase in the Mianwali District, which is located in Pakistan's Punjab Province.

The second-generation Wing Loong II was first displayed at the China Airshow 2016 in Zhuhai, and conducted its maiden flight in February 2017.

In December 2017 the Xinhua news agency reported that the medium-altitude, long-endurance (MALE) platform hit five targets in succession using five different types of missiles as part of a live-firing test. Citing a statement by the Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC), Xinhua reported at the time that by achieving a "100% hit rate" the Wing Loong II set a new live-firing record for a Chinese-made UAV in a single sortie.

However, the report did not provide any details about the weapons that were test-fired.

As Jane's previously reported, the Wing Loong II bears a strong resemblance to the General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc (GA-ASI) MQ-9 Reaper UAV, with its low-wing monoplane slender fuselage and empennage with a prominent V-tail and ventral fin.

p1692890_main.jpeg

Good For CPEC also.

What are your thoughts??

PAF is not considering J-11 and other Su-27 knockoffs from China because they are not available for sale without Russian okay, which is unlikely to come, given they would rather sell their aircraft directly. However, given the CAATSA law, it is better to avoid getting in that mess between the US and Russians. Remember, the law they passed applies to "major" weapon systems, which an Su-35 would certainly be, while RD-93 engines are not.
On the same token, China would not be willing to upset their Russian relations, esp with them working together as counter-balance to the US by selling us any J-11 series aircraft (even if they could) as it is not in their strategic interest. Then there is the aspect of the aircraft itself, with China having just bought Su-35s from Russia itself, so one can read into that as they may.

Also, it has nothing to do with CPEC, so not sure how that applies, unless you mean Pakistan getting further in debt with the Chinese, which I am not in favor of at all.

As for the Typhoon, while tempting as it maybe, I don't think it is a good idea. Mind you, the upfront cost is just a small part of the equation. PAF will be with these aircraft for the next 30 years, and spending that much money on an aircraft with very limited (T1 Block 5) A2G capabilities, that will cost an arm and a leg to upgrade and support, I can not justify that purchase at all. Also, it is very possible to upgrade the T1s down the line to newer standards ... it will just cost a lot of money. Another thing to note is that the EF Typhoon production line is due to close by 2022. Had our financial situation been better, we could have bought new aircraft from the EF consortium and in return got very helpful and needed infrastructure upgrades for our own aviation sector, but buying these used T1s don't get us any ancillary benefits.

I think, we need to keep a laser focus on developing our own aviation industry and avoid getting jumpy and anxious every time India buys shiny toys to pat themselves on the back. In the medium to long run, PAF should be limited to 3 fighters, the JF-17, F-16, and whatever Project AZM brings to fruition. It will not only streamline our logistics and in turn save us $$s, it will bring us more security as well. Let IAF burden itself with a hodgepodge of aircraft from all over the place.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom