What's new

Pakistan Air Force new glider

Is a powered ac called a glider?

Yup.. motorized gliders exist all over the world..
The idea is to be independent of towing aircraft.. they can take off under their own power.. then turn the motor off and glide to wherever they want.

Yup.. motorized gliders exist all over the world..
The idea is to be independent of towing aircraft.. they can take off under their own power.. then turn the motor off and glide to wherever they want.

bache ko sabak parha rahe ho lol

what the hell imran i am unable to send any private messages

as you know i am most senior officer here soon i will be Field Marshal .at this time i am general and a captain rank (low rank) officer is not allowed to contact with me directly . send to your commander he will follow up with chain of command and finally your req will reach to me tumhara to colonal or brigadier bhi mujhy PM nhi ker sakta :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

send visitor yaar or yahoo to yaad hai na

it is not new glider. this glider picture is also in the book "pakistanair force a new dawn 1998-2008"

PAF Stemme S6 Glider
tail number:09-003
The Stemme S6 is a two-seat touring motorglider manufactured by Stemme AG.
Specifications
Span: 18 m
Length: 8.5 m
Height: 2.45 m
Wing Area: 17.86 m²
Seating: 2
Empty Mass: 615–639 kg
Takeoff Weight: 850 kg
Gliding ratio: 32(fixed undercarriage) - 38(retractable undercarriage)
Cruising Speed: 263–280 km/h (164-175 mph)
Engine: 1 Rotax 912S or 914F with 100 and or 115 hp (maximal achievements)
Range: 2400 km with 140l Long-range tank

Many years ago I was a glider instructor... it is a very pure form of flight, and a LOT of fun, as the goal is to use thermals and other sources of rising air as energy to remain aloft.

One of the great challenges is glider cross-country flying. It's one thing to stay within gliding range of your airport, quite another to leave it behind, because you must be continually aware of where you can land if the lift runs out.

A motor glider fixes that. You get yourself aloft, shut down the motor, and when you attempt cross-country, your trip ends when you are forced to restart the motor. This allows you to return home. Otherwise, traditionally, you need to be pursued by a ground grew with a trailer who follows you by radio. When you land out, the glider is taken apart and put back on the trailer for the trip home.

A motorglider permits one to pursue a sport that would otherwise require several friends who have to work hard to help you.

One of the great challenges is glider cross-country flying. It's one thing to stay within gliding range of your airport, quite another to leave it behind, because you must be continually aware of where you can land if the lift runs out.

I do believe this incident is worth a mention for such a case
Gimli Glider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many years ago I was a glider instructor... it is a very pure form of flight, and a LOT of fun, as the goal is to use thermals and other sources of rising air as energy to remain aloft.

A motor glider fixes that. You get yourself aloft, shut down the motor, and when you attempt cross-country, your trip ends when you are forced to restart the motor. This allows you to return home. Otherwise, traditionally, you need to be pursued by a ground grew with a trailer who follows you by radio. When you land out, the glider is taken apart and put back on the trailer for the trip home.

A motorglider permits one to pursue a sport that would otherwise require several friends who have to work hard to help you.

Maybe off topic, but how exactly do you know where is the thermal?

Birds naturally know, and gliders keep an eye on bird formations. Some form of heat-sensor hardware might also be useful, but I don't know if/where it's used.

Maybe off topic, but how exactly do you know where is the thermal?

Two ways - by devices called Variometers, and by feel.

A vario is just a sensitive vertical velocity indicator. Some of them are audio so you can keep eyes out and locate the lift more safely. When you enter an area of lift, the vario tone changes, and the pitch of the tone goes up as your rate of climb increases.

By feel - you fly along, looking for signs of lift - cumulus clouds forming, hot areas of the earth. If one wing rises on its own, you immediately turn back INTO that rising wing, and seat-of-the-pants feel allows you to center in the thermal. It is a great feeling to be released from the tow at 2,000', and climb in a strong thermal to 10,000' or more. You become a solar-powered machine in the truest sense.

There is another form of lift called mountain wave. As strong winds flow over a mountain range, they create standing waves of powerful lift. Get into a good mountain wave, and you can ride them to 30,000' or more, easily. Better have oxygen and a thermal suit handy.

Back
Top Bottom