What's new

Pakistan accepts India's aid offer for flood relief work

As to Stelths post , i few points
India gave 25 million in 2005 for the earthquake but till a few days ago no one told the indian people that .
Also we in the got to know that money was not used .
I do not rember when it was that we in india created a big fuss as to the ammount we gave .

Did you know that in the gujrat earthquake Pakistan sent aid to India?
it was publicized a lot .
as to the indian media , while some are Crackpots in search of TRP most arent..
right now they cant even get visas to pakistan so they can report.

as to the ammount... EU has given 135 million from 28 countries . which works out to be less than 5 mil each country .

my two cents worth .. NO POLITICS .. THIS IS A TIME TO HEAL , NOT SCORE POINTS .
i appoligise in advance if my post has hurt any one ..

I wish my fellow Indian members will show maturity while posting comments here and will not go to defeat and debate every argument made. Hope this thread will serve to disseminate information, any other updates about type of aid and further cooperation between both counrties on this particular issue.

Regards

Money wont save people lifes directly but the food does. I Think GOI made a good decision by approving 5 mn in food aid to Pakistan

Instead of Aid, India should send things that are needed by planes.

Stuff like plastic sheets, tents, clothes, food.

The money process will be too slow.

Indian should request Pakistan to accept these items as gift and maybe even Indian Doctors can go and help set up medical camps.

Indian should request Pakistan to accept these items as gift and maybe even Indian Doctors can go and help set up medical camps.

I don't think its going to be money. The aid will certainly be in terms of equipment. Lets hope that Pakistan gives the list of items it requires the most so that India can arrange it.

Yes you are right... Money transaction is slow and chances of corruption always belong to that.. The best way is to help quickly we should send the stuffs as you mentioned..

GoP is creating problem for Visa otherwise our 400 doctors ready..

some report says they rejected the aid while some says they accepted. what is the truth?

There are times when one be difficult and there times when one should not.

This is one time when no one should be difficult or try to score points. The point was valid that when 5 million was on offer next door traveling as far as the US to seek aid did not make sense. But when has anything to do with India & Pak ever made sense ?

Pak has only to ask or indicate what it needs. No acrimony here . The suffering of people is not a time for bargains.

Just a random thought, for the sake of better orgnisation Pak may consider allowing Indian Docs to set up mobile hospitals in any area they feel and consider safe .Safety needs to guaranteed for an attack on Indians will trigger off a avoidable response. Similarly, areas could be earmarked where aid teams could help UNDER PAK SUPERVISION if so felt. Resources exist wherein Pre Fabricated camps/ villages could be set up in next to no time. Winters are not far away & those who have lost their dwellings will need shelters soon. All this can be done under Pak supervision or the material could be handed over to them to erect.

The options are endless, only the will needs to be there for this is not the time to let politics come in the way.

I wish the sincerity is seen .

- Pakistan Accepts India’s Flood Aid - WSJ

As Pakistan continues to suffer from its worst-yet flooding, it appears that Pakistan has agreed to accept a $5 million donation from India.

Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi, at the United Nations for a meeting aimed at drumming up support for Pakistan, denied there were political reasons for delays in accepting the money. India’s papers have been reporting the U.S. played a role in getting Pakistan to accept the donation.

But the aid doesn’t look to be creating a detente between the two nuclear-armed nations if some local media reports are correct. The Times of India reports that some Pakistan newspapers have blamed India for causing the floods by manipulating dam levels on rivers that flow in to Pakistan.

The United States yesterday increased its flood aid to Pakistan to $150 million from $80 million and called on China, a key ally of Pakistan, to do more. China, which is facing its own natural disasters at home, has so far pledged $7.4 million.

“I think the Chinese should step up to the plate,” Richard Holbrooke, the U.S. special representative to Afghanistan and Pakistan, told a small group of reporters after an event at the Asia Society in New York designed to draw attention to the devastating floods. “They always say that Pakistan is their closest ally, and vice versa.”

The U.N. has so far raised half of the $460 million appeal launched last week, but other nations have donated outside of the U.N. framework. The disaster has killed 1,500 people, affected 20 million more and left a fifth of the country under water. The U.S. is keen for its response, the largest of any country, to help reduce anti-American sentiment in Pakistan, where the U.S.-led war in Afghanistan is deeply unpopular. Washington is keen the floods don’t allow Taliban militants to take advantage of the chaos and strengthen their position in an ongoing war with the Pakistan military.

India, too, appears to want to help its neighbor and perhaps give a boost to flagging peace talks. But those talks are stuck on India’s demands - reiterated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the weekend, that Pakistan take firmer action against militant groups involved in the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

Let us not chest thump that India has sent 5 million aid to Pakistan. It's good that it has, but it is not time to compare the amount of favor done for each other and get into another di*k measuring competition.. Pakistan had done it for us in past, and thank you for that.. :-)
God bless you all..

So, One should not criticize the Helping hand In the Time of Need.... No Matter How small It is, every
8px-Indian_Rupee_symbol.svg.png
hard Earned money of Indian Tax Payers.... Even If You dont thank us, Please do Not Insult it....
Dude please tell me how to use rupee symbol,as u have used here...please tell us...

China contribution only 7.4 million given the strenght it has and closeness to Pakistan is beyond my understanding. I never understood that China's contribution is very low everytime, US even though in debt of trillions are lion hearted people look at them. US is the best, best and only best.

I thank GOI and GOP for caring about the welfare of the human beings.Let us all rise above petty politics.Those who are suffering are our very own people.If we don't care for them,who will.

Back
Top Bottom