What's new

Pak Railways inks accord with General Electric USA to procure 55 locomotives

Kabira

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Pakistan Railways (PR) Saturday signed an agreement with General Electric (GE) USA to procure 55 locomotives.

PR Director Procurement Ziauddin Ahmed Qureshi and Mr Ishfaq, representative of General Electric of the United States, signed the agreement at the Railways Headquarters.

Addressing a press conference, Minister for Railways Khawaja Saad Rafique, who oversaw the signing of the agreement, said today was a historic day for the Railways, as it was going to procure locomotives of 4,000 to 4,500 horse power from a company whose export profile was good.

In future as well, all procurements would be made from companies having good export profile and no compromise in this regard would be made, he added.

He said that the PR was fulfilling its promise of procuring modern items as the GE was one of the best companies in the world.

Rafique said out of 55 completely built-up (CBUs) locomotives, 23 to 24 would be used for the Sahiwal Coal Power project, 10 for Bahawalpur project and the remaining would also be used for coal operation.

He said that the first shipment of the locomotives would arrive in 16 months. These locomotives, he said, will remain operational more than their age and would cover their price in three years.

Pakistan Railways is also focusing on manufacturing locomotives in Pakistan and for the purpose it would reach an agreement with a company giving best offer for transfer of technology (TOT) in Risalpur factory.

The minister said soon Eid operation would be announced. The Green Line train, he said, was running successfully with 100 per cent occupancy.

He said the PR wanted to add value to two to three trains in current fiscal year.

The minister said service structure would be made for employees in Grade 1 to 16, adding that companies would be invited through open advertisement for this purpose.

To a question, he said that the PR had set its priorities and work would be carried out in all areas in steps.

PR Chief Executive Officer Javed Anwar and other officials were also present during the ceremony.

PR inks accord with GE to procure 55 locos | Pakistan Today

So this time they are getting locomotives from USA instead of China.

I like Saad's focus on freight services. Its one of the reasons pushing Railways into more revenues and helping businesses transport their supplies fast. In addition to the recently revived Quetta- Zehdan line, I hope to see Peshawar-Kabul line. The international linkages would really help facilitate the CPEC.

Now only if they can complete Karachi-Peshawar line up gradation, build Karachi-Gwadar line, and rehabilitate stations of major cities, by 2018, boy that would be amazing.

Last edited:
One question here - my apologies if it is off topic.

I recall reading in the past about Pakistan getting (not sure whether it was purchase or aid) rail locomotives from China. I'm certain Chinese locos are going to be much cheaper than US made goods - even if it is not aid. Why not go for more of those?

One question here - my apologies if it is off topic.

I recall reading in the past about Pakistan getting (not sure whether it was purchase or aid) rail locomotives from China. I'm certain Chinese locos are going to be much cheaper than US made goods - even if it is not aid. Why not go for more of those?
B/c they were crap.
As the saying goes: Mehnga roye aik baar, Sasta roye baar baar.

I just want to know what is it that GE doesnt make, damn it

Hi,

During Musharraf's regime my ex roommate and buddy was GE head for Pakistan for diesel locomotive procurement---. When the then railway minister decided to go for the Chinese diesel locomotives---he was so disheartened and heart broken---he left that branch of GE.

So---instead of going for the one who gives best TOT---buy something that is the best quality---. Nothing beats the GE / GMU

When I was in Pakistan a couple of months ago----I saw this diesel locomotive GMU 30 coming out of the shop reconditioned---when it came out new---it was in I believe 1974----. Nothing beats the U S in heavy technology---no one comes close.

grear news. we in the states love freight trains. sure you will get a quality product.

Pak railways always had GM or GE locomotives---it was just during Musharraf's regime that his minister went for the Chinese locomotive.

China will not be happy with this, about Pakistan decision to buy goods from a competitor.

Could they have not good it from any other country than USA?

GMU 25 & GMU 30 ---was the backbone of the Pakistan railways

g1.jpg

Last edited:
Good for Pakistan. Assembly/manufacturing is always good. GE diesel locomotives are the best in the business.

China is crap in heavy technology and no one can beat developed countries of the West or Japan.

GE locomotives was an issue too in previous govt of thugs of PPP. Then the US govt made an official complaint about procurement process being lopsided.

No railway company in the world make money from passenger trains. This is a no brainer and accepted norm. Its always freight trains that make money.

I m not sure if transparency is followed here. Buying a good product does not mean all is good. We also need to see who is buying it or having interest, inevitably financial, in procurement process.

Back
Top Bottom