What's new

'Pak open to working with Modi'

There is nothing religious about hindu right, its all about power. lol. Sit tight and enjoy the ride.
Realistically speaking BJP coming to power can bring breakthrough in relationship with pakistan, the last one really tried.

Thats exactly the point. There will be no religious intent in there but there will be power plays based on communal politics and I am not even speaking from a Pakistani perspective. I have family in India and hence to that extent their welfare and harmony in their community concerns me. Will this man not be compromising communal harmony in that sense?
Sure, there are leaders from both Hindu and Muslims communities in India who prey on such instincts for power plays.. but this is on a national scale and the fallout could be much more severe. Are you willing to accept a 2002 Gujrat all over India if this man wills it? I am not painting him as a monster on religious lines but one on power.. is it worth it?

As for the previous BJP.. please do not compare a cultured and refined man like Vajpayee to someone who uses communal references like "the burqa of secularism".

On a side note, while looking at the comments of BJP supporters on facebook.. it is shocking to see how they mirror PTI supporters over here; almost religious and fanatical in their comments.. and equally pithy in their language.

Thats exactly the point. There will be no religious intent in there but there will be power plays based on communal politics and I am not even speaking from a Pakistani perspective. I have family in India and hence to that extent their welfare and harmony in their community concerns me. Will this man not be compromising communal harmony in that sense?
Sure, there are leaders from both Hindu and Muslims communities in India who prey on such instincts for power plays.. but this is on a national scale and the fallout could be much more severe. Are you willing to accept a 2002 Gujrat all over India if this man wills it? I am not painting him as a monster on religious lines but one on power.. is it worth it?

As for the previous BJP.. please do not compare a cultured and refined man like Vajpayee to someone who uses communal references like "the burqa of secularism".

On a side note, while looking at the comments of BJP supporters on facebook.. it is shocking to see how they mirror PTI supporters over here; almost religious and fanatical in their comments.. and equally pithy in their language.

And that should tell you something.
BJP like PTI will not win the elections.

BJP is supported by the educated urban youth of India.
India is won through the villages. Were this election to happen a decade from now, BJP would win on account of increasing urbanization...but as of now...not likely at all.

And that should tell you something.
BJP like PTI will not win the elections.

BJP is supported by the educated urban youth of India.
India is won through the villages. Were this election to happen a decade from now, BJP would win on account of increasing urbanization...but as of now...not likely at all.

Then apparently the situation is more dire than I thought. That the educated urban youth of India are as easily motivated by slogans and desperation for change as are their counterparts in Pakistan.

We dont care about anything, we want our country to prosper at any cost.. I will vote for Modi everyday of a week and twice in a Sunday !!

What cost are we talking about?

These
7-30-2012_61274_l.jpg

Then apparently the situation is more dire than I thought. That the educated urban youth of India are as easily motivated by slogans and desperation for change as are their counterparts in Pakistan.

I would not say they are easily motivated by slogans. Far from it.
You would have to do an analysis of Indian political scene to understand it.

While the educated youth of Pakistan were supporting PTI thinking of Imran as a messiah to solve the problems, they were banking on his status as a star, or based on his speeches and slogans...not on his previous performance.

BJP/NDA on the other hand is successfully running several States of India.

To give you an example :
Narendra Modi - Gujarat - spectacular economic performance
Nitish Kumar - Bihar - spectacular economic performance
Naveen Patnaik - Odisa - great economic performance
Chavan - Madhya Pradesh - great economic performance
Manohar Parrikar - Goa - great economic performance

Compared to that Congress is coming up dud.

So the educated urban youth of India is following BJP for two reasons:
1. BJP's strong performance in the States under many of its leaders *The largest and most dominant selling point*

2. Disenchantment with Congress - Scams, scandals, economic doldrums, minority appeasement
3. BJP talking about NO minority appeasement.

So the support BJP is getting from this demography is not just based on slogans. Its based on economy majorly...as the person 'turkish' mentions as well. BJP seems to the urban youth the perfect cure for economic doldrums we are stuck in.

WHile the economy was good, Congress got a thumping mandate when they won their second term, this time round...Modi and lot seem to be proving they can run an economy far better than Congress. They seem to be the 'doers' and 'decisive' while Congress seems to be the 'talkers' and 'uncertain'.

I am sorry that you are personally affected by it. You are right, I wont be able to understand the pain, the misery and the helpnessness of a minority community in sieze.
I sincerely hope he does not become our PM. Am not bothered by the bad name it will bring, though. If Mr Modi indeed can do something positive for minority it will be great, but I greatly doubt his capability to inflict any pain. Indian PM has less real power than gujrat CM. It will be a symbolic middle finger to minorities.

Mind you he is riding not on a communal agenda like 90s but more of a development agenda. Thats something positive to take away.

What is so new about this ? When Nawaz Sharif and Imran Khan were going to elections, Indians were open to work with either one coming in power. I remember those words from Salman Khurshid.

As far as electricity, gas etc is concerned, Indians were in same position in the 90s. They called on Nawaz Sharif for a deal to import

Unlike Pakistan, Indian educated youth do not care about religion. Most just aspire to better living standards and development of India. Modi has proven himself to be a capable administrator for a number of years and without any blot of corruption to boot. There is no candidate as capable as Modi on the national stage. There is no alternative. Only Modi can create a stronger India.

@Oscar

The main difference between India & Pakistan is that the Indian constitution simply gives no leeway to any nutjob to do whatever he wants. The 1990's are now consigned to history as are the first few years of this century. Don't be swayed by the rhetoric (the internet allows for a disproportionate space for the bigots). The real world is very different. Modi does get the support of the bigots, even if some chose to cloak it in the "Burkha" of development but it is also true that Modi gets support from many who are not bigoted & who are simply tired of the absolute lack of governance/misgovernance of the present dispensation. There is a reason why there were no further riots in Gujarat. Even supporters of Modi understand that it is suicide, both politically & even legally. Modi is certainly not going to be this monster who will gobble up the minorities, far from it. His image will make it imperative from interfering in any religious issue & concentrate only on development, the only plank available to him. Whether he will be the PM or not is a completely different matter and I, for one, simply don't see any possible electoral maths that will bring about such a scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
While the survey predicts an overall loss of vote share for the Congress and its allies nationally “if the Lok Sabha election is held tomorrow,” the Congress’s vote share in Karnataka is estimated to go up by nine per cent, compared to the 2009 Lok Sabha polls. This comes as no surprise considering that the results of the Karnataka Assembly elections earlier this year brought the Congress to power with a clear mandate, with 121 seats in an Assembly of 224.
The Congress vote share predicted by the survey for the coming Lok Sabha elections in Karnataka is, in fact, a vast improvement over even the 2013 Assembly results. While the vote share of the Congress was 36.55 per ent in the Assembly elections, the estimated vote share for the coming polls is pegged at an impressive 47 per cent.
The Hindu-CNN-IBN Election Tracker Survey conducted by Lokniti-Centre for the Study of Developing Societies (CSDS), Delhi in June, foresees a 22 percentage point loss to the BJP when compared to 2009 Lok Sabha election, which suggests that the party’s prospects continue to be on the wane.

In Karnataka, good news for India

Karnataka had given the BJP 19 seats in the last general election, the highest of any state.

@Oscar

The main difference between India & Pakistan is that the Indian constitution simply gives no leeway to any nutjob to do whatever he wants. The 1990's are now consigned to history as are the first few years of this century. Don't be swayed by the rhetoric (the internet allows for a disproportionate space for the bigots). The real world is very different. Modi does get the support of the bigots, even if some chose to cloak it in the "Burkha" of development but it is also true that Modi gets support from many who are not bigoted & who are simply tired of the absolute lack of governance/misgovernance of the present dispensation. There is a reason why there were no further riots in Gujarat. Even supporters of Modi understand that it is suicide, both politically & even legally. Modi is certainly not going to be this monster who will gobble up the minorities, far from it. His image will make it imperative from interfering in any religious issue & concentrate only on development, the only plank available to him. Whether he will be the PM or not is a completely different matter and I, for one, simply don't see any possible electoral maths that will bring about such a scenario.

You have highlighted Modi's appeal in simple words.
Both to the bigoted and the non bigoted.

But by any means...he has sizable support, though only in urban areas(not counting Gujarat).
The rural areas still swear by Congress because of the lineage and the dole outs.

And the Road to New Delhi lies through the villages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom