What's new

PAK minisub MG110 COSMOS????

MOSABJA

Reaction score
The Naval Special Services Group (SSGN), numbering 1,000 marines, is responsible for conducting unconventional operations at sea and along the shoreline. Delivery or insertion of maritime special forces includes fixed- wing/helicopter low-level parachuting, light craft beaching and underwater conveyance, for which the navy operates at least three Cosmos Class MG110 miniature submarines (SSI) and some swimmer- delivery vehicles.

On the basis of design developed by PN Dockyard, this type of mini submarine has been constructed at PN Dockyard. These mini-submarines can be used for various purposes like attacking enemy units in harbour with Frogmen/Charriots, at sea with torpedoes, at shore installations by commandos etc. other uses include mine laying, defensive barrier in shallow waters, advance pickets duties, intelligence gathering etc.

Although the Italian Navy pioneered the use of human torpedoes (known today as swimmer delivery vehicles or SDVs), in today's Italian Navy there are no midgets. However Cosmos of Livorno has sold a number of midgets abroad. The SX 404 type sold to Pakistan in the early 1970s have been replaced by three [or possibly four] Italian-built SX-756-class midget submarines, delivered in 1988. These displace 40 tons and are capable of diving to a depth of 100m. They can carry six swimmers and two SDVs, as well as 2 tons of explosives.

Length overall 27.28 meters
Height overall 5.59"
Pressure Hull Diameter 2.30"
Pressure Hull Length 19.10"
Displacement 102 tons (surfaced),
110 tons (sub-merged)

Operation Depth In excess of 100 m
Test Depth In excess of 100 m
Max. speed (surfaced) 9 KTS (on diesel engine)
Max. speed (submerged) 6 KTS (on batteries)
Endurance Over 1000 NM on diesel engine, Over 40 NM on batteries
Complement 14 (6 operators + 8 commandos)
Armament Torpedo Firing Tubes, Mine Laying Hooks

I read on another forum that the MINI SUBS are extremely difficult too detect and equipped with good SONARS and TORPEDOS they can be very effective .lets talk about it.

Thanks for posting. One point, SSG(N) has nothing to do with Pakistan Marines. Two different outfits altogether.

If in 10 or so years these required replacement, what would PN procure? Would they give the larger SSKs (U214/Marlin/Agosta-90B-size) the task of deploying NSSG...or would they look into something like SMX-23 or U210?

Any pics of these subs as to what exactly they look like?

Any pics of these subs as to what exactly they look like?

3cbd404f4850fcd522f4ccbed26ba006.jpg

ccc413704b6821336ebcaf470d44540b.jpg

Thanks proud to be pakistani for the pics. These are quite large, i initally had a different view about them.

If i am guessing right you had the view of world war era german u-boat.

Gentlemen ....
the Mg-110 or X-craft as the Pakistanis call it is about 27meters and displaces only 110MT.
this is more inline with what the North Koreans have as SSM not a SSK this mini or midget sub is used for infiltration ...getting in close to the shoreline. a U214 or any u-boat or scorpene would run aground. This boat has a crew of 5 plus swimmer for infiltration

The SX-756 submarines were the first of a new design by Cosmos of Livorno. The first 3 craft were sold to Pakistan in kit form and arrived in Karachi in 1988. When the deal for the submarines was signed, it was no coincidence that Adm Tariq Kamal Khan was CNS. As a former SSGN and first CO of PNS Iqbal following its commission on 29 March 1967, he understood full well the potential of SOF and unconventional warfare. Cosmos marketed the submarine as the MG-110 along with another variant known as the MG-120ER. The latter is known to be in service with Italy, South Korea and Columbia. The SDV's delivered to PN in the 1970's are no longer in use and were withdrawn from service in the late 90's. Some of thse SDV's now serve as reminders of a past era for SSGN as part of a display at the Maritime museum in Karachi.

SX-756 are equipped to carry torpedoes, mines and/or combat divers. They have been modernised during the late 90's to help keep them in service. One of the X-craft was lost at sea in 1995. However there were no fatalities and the Midget was recovered, repaired and subsequently returned to service

PN deployed its 6 SX-404 midgets against India in 1971. One of them even fired upon an Indain naval FFG, but the torpedoe firing system malfunctioned and remained lodged in its external launcher, thereby denying PN what might have been a double hit in concert with PNS/M Hangor's sinking of INS Kukri.

In 1978, an unfortunate accident resulted in the loss of an SX-404 at sea with all hands. Despite SAR ops, niether the midget nor any bodies were eveer recovered. The sole PN SX-404 hull known to have survived the breakers yard/target practise is on display at the PN Maritime Museum and an earlier version of the SX-404 is still reported to be in service with the Columbian Navy. However it is doubtful that this would have been done without significant modification or as is likely a fabriaction of a new hull based on the old design.

Cosmos was bought out by Cardoen Industries in the mid 90's. However owing to the latters connections with the then Iraqi government, the Italian government shut Cosmos down, putting it out of business.

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Do any of you have any old pics of SSGN from the eralier years? I have exhausted my search and have drawn a complete blank. I am looking for anything to do SSGN from 1967 onwards, especially the period uptill 1980.

Before any of you suggest, I have already been through the process of speaking with Maritime Museum, Karachi and ISPR PN and they have nothing. As a last resort I thought it might be possible that someone on this forum may have an old pic or two lying somewhere. No matter how boring it may look or how badly the picture may be damaged, please let me know before discounting its usability.

The pics I am looking for are for use in a book on SSGN and obviously I am happy to discuss any specifics for use of these pics in the book with anyone who is able to provide any.

Its a long shot but worth a try to see if anyone can help.

Thanks, Lindsy

lindsyebanks
i hope you become regular heavy poster member as you always bring very very useful informations. :yahoo:

Thanks 23rd March for the vote of confidence. However time constraints prevent any more involvement than what I have been currently been able to manage and I have certainley tried to maintain only accurate and pertinant information which I hope would benefit the user community at large. I do hope however that the book on SSGN in not too distant future will go some way in helping to provide input from a different perspective by way of a literacy channel.

Rgds

Last edited:
Pakistan have MG110 COSMOS Midget Submarine in unknown numbers and Pakistan is building these subs in karachi shipyard. pictures and specifications of these subs are available at karachi shipyard and engineering works website

MIDGET Submarines

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom