kalu_miah

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
I think its pretty clear that Bangladesh is going for Song class submarines:
Type 039 submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does anyone know how many? Wiki says 4:
Bangladesh Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In addition to these 2250 ton subs, Bangladesh needs some smaller subs also I think, to mainly operate within the maritime EEZ of Bangladesh. As far as I know China does not produce these small subs.

A 500 ton small sub for shallow waters of Bay of Bengal, the best option for this is Korean KSS 500A:
http://asw.newpacificinstitute.org/?p=9083
img273466201319678806-575x383.jpg

And then we need a few midget subs for the Frogman Marine commando operations. Pakistan currently operates at least 2 MG110:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakistan-navy/18074-pn-mini-submarine-fleet-6.html
MG 110 Midget Submarine
Submarines & Warships Construction
Cosmos Class MG110
mg110-Midget.jpg

The above is about 100 ton and has a speed of 9 knots, a slightly bigger one, Dolgorae, 175 ton and 16 knots, is available from Korea:
Dolgorae-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
picture.php

1316968949.jpg

Bay of Bengal depth:
bay_of_bengal.gif

Since we have shallow water near the coast, I think the small subs will be useful, both the Dolgorae and the KSS 500A. Saudi Arabia may go for similar small subs for operation in shallow waters of Arabian Gulf. So we may coordinate with Saudi Arabian Navy (RSNF) before these purchases, so we can get similar equipment. RSNF may also go with Song class subs like Pakistan and Bangladesh for over 2000 ton category:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/arab-defence/278421-submarines-should-rsnf-go-after-8.html

@Yzd Khalifa @Arabian Legend @al-Hasani You may find this thread relevant.

Here is a video showing sonar use by helicopter and submarine sea to air missile target the helicopter:

DCNS - SMX-26 Littoral Seabed Landing Submarine Combat Simulation [1080p] - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

In addition to these 2250 ton subs, Bangladesh needs some smaller subs also I think, to mainly operate within the maritime EEZ of Bangladesh. As far as I know China does not produce these small subs.

A 500 ton small sub for shallow waters of Bay of Bengal, the best option for this is Korean KSS 500A:

And then we need a few midget subs for the Frogman Marine commando operations. Pakistan currently operates at least 2 MG110:
MG 110 Midget Submarine
Cosmos Class MG110
mg110-Midget.jpg

The above is about 100 ton and has a speed of 9 knots, a slightly bigger one, Dolgorae, 175 ton and 16 knots, is available from Korea:
picture.php

1316968949.jpg

Bay of Bengal depth:
bay_of_bengal.gif

Since we have shallow water near the coast, I think the small subs will be useful, both the Dolgorae and the KSS 500A. Saudi Arabia may go for similar small subs for operation in shallow waters of Arabian Gulf. So we may coordinate with Saudi Arabian Navy (RSNF) before these purchases, so we can get similar equipment. RSNF may also go with Song class subs like Pakistan and Bangladesh for over 2000 ton category:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/arab-defence/278421-submarines-should-rsnf-go-after-8.html

Here is a video showing sonar use by helicopter and submarine sea to air missile target the helicopter:

DCNS - SMX-26 Littoral Seabed Landing Submarine Combat Simulation [1080p] - YouTube

But I think its the best time for PN along with Saudi Arabia along with Algeria and Libya to do JV with Germany on:
3000 Tons SSK
1500 Tons SSK
700 Tons Coastal SSK (the type you are talking about)
110 Tons Special Force Submarines
Rescue Submarines

@kalu_miah

How much does the Song class submarine cost? Is it accurate that the BD is going after 4 of these? Also, you may need to take a look at this article.

MG 110 Midget Submarine
Cosmos Class MG110
mg110-Midget.jpg

picture.php

1316968949.jpg

Bay of Bengal depth:
bay_of_bengal.gif

How do you claim this...any firm source? I think they'll go for Ming for the 1st two.

Probably for SWADS there are SDV and UUV or they are supposed to join, I'm not sure though...SWADS info are classified.

SEAL Delivery Vehicle (SDV):

SEAL Delivery Vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SEAL_Delivery_Vehicle_2_MW2.png

Unmanned underwater vehicle: Unmanned underwater vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

talisman1.jpg

@kalu_miah

How much does the Song class submarine cost? Is it accurate that the BD is going after 4 of these? Also, you may need to take a look at this article.

The Saudigazette article is correct, Bangladesh has plans to buy submarines. I think initially it will be 2 and then later 2 more.

The cost according to this web page is around $200 million for the S20, export version of Yuan class Type 041 which is same as Type 039A. But AIP may not be included in this cost, so that will raise the cost, may be another $50-100 million:
*** Chinese Warships Manufactured in 2000s *** - Topic
Type-039A/B diesel-electric submarines (Yuan class, AIP?) at $200M

Type 041 submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

S20

At IDEX-2013, China revealed a scaled-down version of Type 041 submarine designated as S20, specially intended for export. The main difference between S20 and Type 041 is that the AIP system on the original Type 041 is deleted, but can be available and easily integrated due to modular design of S20, if potential customers choose to purchase AIP systems separately. Due to its modular design, a variety of sensors and weapons can also be easily adopted up on customers' requests.[3] Specifications of S20:[4]
Structure: double hulled
Length: 66 meter
Beam: 8 meter
Draft: 8.2 meter
Surface displacement: 1850 tons
Submerged displacement: 2300 tons
Maximum speed: 18 knots
Cruise speed: 16 knots
Range: 8000 nm @ 16 kts
Endurance: 60 days
Crew: 38 total
Maximum depth: 300 meters

This is a newer sub than the T-039 Song class.

How do you claim this...any firm source? I think they'll go for Ming for the 1st two.

Probably for SWADS there are SDV and UUV or they are supposed to join, I'm not sure though...SWADS info are classified.

SEAL Delivery Vehicle (SDV):

SEAL Delivery Vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unmanned underwater vehicle: Unmanned underwater vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I looked at the Ming class, the latest one is type 35B and the last one was built in 2003. Essentially it is at least 10 year old obsolete sub:

Type 035 (Ming Class) Diesel-Electric Submarine - SinoDefence.com
Type 035 Incidents - SinoDefence.com
Romeo-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both Paksitan and Saudi Arabia are planning to buy new Chinese subs. It might be a good idea for Bangladesh Navy to discuss this matter with PN and RSNF. PN has close relations with RSNF, so it makes sense for them both to go for the same sub. If we get the same subs, then we may have the option to join this club. Having the same model subs will help with interoperability, joint exercise and mutual training etc. between the 3 Navy's, as well as with PLAN.

As for the UUV and SDV, it will be good to have at least one of each, to see how useful they are.

What is your opinion on 175 ton Dolgorae midget sub and 500 ton Korean KSS-500A? I included these because they are useful in shallow waters. Saudi's may go for these 2 smaller subs for using in shallow water in Arabian Gulf, while using the big one in deeper water of Red Sea.

I looked at the Ming class, the latest one is type 35B and the last one was built in 2003. Essentially it is at least 10 year old obsolete sub:

Type 035 (Ming Class) Diesel-Electric Submarine - SinoDefence.com
Type 035 Incidents - SinoDefence.com
Romeo-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both Paksitan and Saudi Arabia are planning to buy new Chinese subs. It might be a good idea for Bangladesh Navy to discuss this matter with PN and RSNF. PN has close relations with RSNF, so it makes sense for them both to go for the same sub. If we get the same subs, then we may have the option to join this club. Having the same model subs will help with interoperability, joint exercise and mutual training etc. between the 3 Navy's, as well as with PLAN.

As for the UUV and SDV, it will be good to have at least one of each, to see how useful they are.

What is your opinion on 175 ton Dolgorae midget sub and 500 ton Korean KSS-500A? I included these because they are useful in shallow waters. Saudi's may go for these 2 smaller subs for using in shallow water in Arabian Gulf, while using the big one in deeper water of Red Sea.

I think we need to start 1st this new wing of BN, doesn't matter if it's Ming because those would be for training and 1st hand experience only. If I'm not wrong BN has been in touch with Turkish Navy on this submarine thing since 1997/98, they are one advanced nation on this section.

Yeah...midgets are necessary, let's see what they do. As we already have SWADS an advanced elite force, we should 1st focus everything related to SEAL forces for midget part or smaller hardware.

It doesn't matter wether it has an AIP in it or not. What matter is its quality. China, as a matter of fact, happens to have one of the most powerful military machines these days. I support this procurement. I'm sure the BN Navy will make a good use of it.

The Saudigazette article is correct, Bangladesh has plans to buy submarines. I think initially it will be 2 and then later 2 more.

The cost according to this web page is around $200 million for the S20, export version of Yuan class Type 041 which is same as Type 039A. But AIP may not be included in this cost, so that will raise the cost, may be another $50-100 million:
*** Chinese Warships Manufactured in 2000s *** - Topic

Type 041 submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a newer sub than the T-039 Song class.

It doesn't matter wether it has an AIP in it or not. What matter is its quality. China, as a matter of fact, happens to have one of the most powerful military machines these days. I support this procurement. I'm sure the BN Navy will make a good use of it.

:undecided: are you ok bro ?:undecided:

:undecided: are you ok bro ?:undecided:

Yes, An additional AIP will cost an arm and leg to the BD, something their defense budget can't manage to put on the table.

The case would be different if we were speaking of the PN or the RSNF.

What the hell are you doing in Bahrain? :pissed: Come the hell back to Saudia.

Yes, An additional AIP will cost an arm and leg to the BD, something their defense budget can't manage to put on the table.

The case would be different if we were speaking of the PN or the RSNF.

What the hell are you doing in Bahrain? :pissed: Come the hell back to Saudia.

well dear i was thinking for over all AIP dosen't matter for you :cheesy: we damn refited our subs and paid each sub 60 million$ and 9 months + time on karachi ship yard to instal this MESMA AIP 10 metters long sh1t. third sub is still on dock under refit .
econd+Khalid-class+(Agosta+90B)+submarine+of+the+Pakistan+Navy+is+to+be+retrofitted+with+a+MESMA.jpg

20110622_01.jpg

i will never be back its paradise you know it :devil:

In BD's case, the AIP doesn't matter unless they intend to stick their purchase for 2 instead of 4.

Good thing the PN upgraded their Augusta's. But, You'd better start thinking about the next gen of subs in PN :cheers:
well dear i was thinking for over all AIP dosen't matter for you :cheesy: we damn refited our subs and paid each sub 60 million$ and 9 months + time on karachi ship yard to instal this MESMA AIP 10 metters long sh1t. third sub is still on dock under refit .

i will never be back its paradise you know it :devil:

Yeah, I know how cool Bahrain is now, who controls it? Well, I think you already know the answer :rofl: :D :lol:

@kalu_miah

over 2300 ton subs are quite costly..hell,even most of navies don't operate over 2000 ton Subs..its around 1500-2300 ton class which is more than enough,be it German Type-212 or French Scorpene or Spanish S-80 Russian Kilo(last two are larger Subs,around 2300 ton,close enough for your criteria)...

don't know what Bangladesh Navy's budget is for submarine acquisition,but most likely these subs are enough to meet any Navy's need.Along with AIP,these subs are potent weapons..

but I think not these beasts,but something in the class of Gotland class or more heavier A-26 will be enough for BN..most silent,yet balanced with armaments and armed with AIP..these are real subs...Gotland Class gave enough headache to USN..the headache was so much intense that they leased on of those just to formulate how to counter these silent subs.so,you can expect A-26 will be far more capable than that..

Back
Top Bottom