What's new

PAF vs. IAF Analysis- Air Combat Over the Subcontinent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please avoid making amateurish statements like "X is the best in the world, Y is the second best". Also, please explain the difference between AEWACS and AEW&C for us less educated members.

AWACs = airborne early wanrning and command and control
AEW&C = airborne early warning and control

There is no command structure in it. Size of the SAAB 2000 tells it. The aircraft is not large enough to have a command structure in it. It is dependent on the GCI for the command process. The only Erieye with command structure is with Brazil I suppose mounted on EMB 145. The best of the AWAC is the Wedgetail I suppose because it seems to be a generation ahead of others.

There is no command structure in it. Size of the SAAB 2000 tells it. The aircraft is not large enough to have a command structure in it. It is dependent on the GCI for the command process. The only Erieye with command structure is with Brazil I suppose mounted on EMB 145. The best of the AWAC is the Wedgetail I suppose because it seems to be a generation ahead of others.

If size is the only criteria for having a command structure on board the plane than your own argument is flawed. There is not much difference between the sizes of the planes you have quoted (EMB 145 and Saab 2000).

Infact Saab 2000 might have more space than EMB 145.

Lets just wait till the plane lands in Pakistan and than we shall know for sure.

Airborne "Command & Control" and "control system" have both pros and cons.
In case of PAF Erieye which will be linked to Ground Command Stations, crews will enjoy comfort on ground unlike Airborne "Command" crews may suffer from air fatigue which will be a huge setback to their performance!

and lol. you need to do a lil more research on your assumption that EMB has "command structure"! Infact PAF Erieye version are infact the most advance system.

Last edited:
Airborne "Command & Control" and "control system" have both pros and cons.
In case of PAF Erieye which will be linked to Ground Command Stations, crews will enjoy comfort on ground unlike Airborne "Command" crews may suffer from air fatigue which will be a huge setback to their performance!

and lol. you need to do a lil more research on your assumption that EMB has "command structure"! Infact PAF Erieye version are infact the most advance system.

I am sorry even the ERJ 145 dosent have the command structure in it. My bad. Any of the Erieye dosent have command structure in it. The only platforms with command structures in it are the Boeing aircrafts. I am sorry..

Saab 2000 AEW/C is an airborne C2 platform. C2 means Command and Control. Therefore, Saab 2000 has airborne command as well as control capability. Saab 2000 can seat 58 passengers, plenty of space. There is an area in front of the control room reserved for commanders, where they can view information from the control room on their own displays.

Anyway, PAF AEW&C will always be in close proximity to an airbase, therefore they will always be in contact with the PAF command structure so airborne command is not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
sir some of the points needs to be verified:
1-j10 by 2009 for paf ,how many would that be ,what is the technical details and turnover number for that aircraft.?

2-the paf will catch up with the iaf in 2012 in the current confirguration as stated by the article that is 3 -4 more years what makes the paf think that iaf will be doing nothing in terms of modernasation in these 3 years.

3-russian and soviet technology is less reliable and less effective and that the chinse technology is much better,ok fine on which western technology are the chinse planes designed, what kind of engines,airframe, ammunition does the chinese use and whats the origin ? i think its mostly russian technology.

4-the great red flag exercises what to say i think if the us were not so wary of the flanker they would not have invited the iaf for participation with that particular plane.how do you expect the americans to even acknowledge that someone else other than them can also build a plane.?dosent pakistan already know of the american backstabbing and double standards.

5-paf has better pilots and technical staff thats true it is accepted worldwide

6-pakistan having western aircrafts ok as the things are going in the next 5 years iaf will have majorly israeli and us technology that will be much higher than what the paf will posses.ust think paf is upgrading its f-16 to bloc 52 what if the iaf decides to buy the f-16IN for mrca which f-16 will be a better plane<still i think pakistan will have an advantage because of its experience in handling and iaf will be new to it>still its a matter that paf should bear in mind.

7- incase of a conflict does pakistani leadership have the diplomatic will to deal with india just imagine what happened in kargil, pakistan was woefull in diplomatic conduct in regards to india, what role did paf play there nothing.
so in case of a war its also important how you conduct it.

8- iaf wont conduct airstrikes from its forward bases just consider the range of its flankers and mirages.

9-- in noways do you compare the mirage roses with mirage 2000-09 they belong to complete different generation of fighters.you cannot change the fighter generation by just upgrading it.

now just look as some of IAF shortcomings which the writer missed:-

1--iaf best fighter su30mki are still new and iaf does not have experience in flying sukhois because they always chose mig fighters.
its takes 10-15 years to master such technically advanced jets in that case paf has superiority.

2--
its difficult for iaf to get complete air dominance because of not the paf fighters but better radar techs and g2a sams that would hurt iaf more than paf fighters.

3--the arrival of awacs by pakistan would make iaf vulnerable so they need to target and destroy them first which would be highly improbable.

a very important point that the writer failed to mention is the use of dedicated satellited in future conflict while india is party to the russian GLONASS which can highly help in accurate targetting and better conduction of air strikes.paf still has to catch upto iaf in this regard. the indian space program is highly advancing and if they incorporate someof the elements from their space program into military use it can be really deadly. the indians have the help of both russian and american help in their space program so paf needs to work on that front also quickly.:agree:
thanx

Im glad you pointed that out my friend.

China has their own satellite system that Pakistan uses and soon China will launch a Pakistani "communications" satellite (within next couple of years I think). You biased people only remember Russian satellite system but forget China's and Pakistan's satellites? :rolleyes:

Which pakistani satellites you are talking about?:what:

Thanks for that post Hasnain. Keep disappointing the idiots.

Last edited:
Nobody is claiming that Indians stink at their job. Our responses are usually to bring a reality check back into the discussion when people on your side start going off in the lala land about the abilities and capabilities of the IAF.

On the issue of the Airborne Africa, I posted the results (keep one thing in mind, Indians came in second, we were fourth, however for us it was the first ever AA participation, you guys had been there before knew the format, had trained for the events with that understanding...the South Africans came in first and Dutch were third. Not a bad showing for any side. Also to note, we have fought 3 wars now. Aside from the one in 1971 in which we had severe limitations in EP, Pakistan and India have always fought each other to a stalemate (this was also the case in 1971 on the West Pakistan side). We have our plus points and you guys have yours.

Your comment about the "stupid" Internet warriors on our side is fair, however we can't really control what a 16-20 year old can or cannot write based on his own limited understanding. My sole issue is what I have stated before. There is a lot of underestimation by even mature Indians here and elsewhere.

Haha threads like these always attract Blain2:agree::tup:

today i learned a lot about awacs i use to have a little knowledge about it my uncle came from canada a week a ago in year 1969 he went to russia on scholarship from government of pakistan to get knowledge about battle cummunication in russia he also now these days he is living in c anada and he is canadian since 1997 any way lets come on the topic today i asked him about AWACS i also know he has a lot of information of awacs when i asked him what is a major difference between E3 Sanatry and ERIEYE he said that ERIEYE radar can detect targets at 340 Degress but E 3 sanatry can detect targets 360 degres why paf gone to ERIEYE he also said me ERIEYE is good no doubt about it but the probleum is it is not as superior as phalcon he also said me if paf wanted to counter phalcon why paf did not choose E 3 santry this is the only system which we can say that it is similar to Phalcon

I beg to differ. ;)

AWACS is pretty much an old classification. The new term is AEW&C. SAAB2000 does all of the AEW&C (Command and Control) extremely well. There is no need for the GC. Pakistani Erieye have 5 command consoles on board. This was a requirement laid down by the PAF and Swedes liked the idea and have decided to retrofit theirs the same way.

Other countries operating the Erieye have had to rely on the GC, but at least PAF will not.

Wedgetail is based on newer technologies thus would offer more up to date features. However the tracking range etc. are fairly comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom