What's new

PAF vs. IAF Analysis- Air Combat Over the Subcontinent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir frankly I wont pay much attention to their claims...The pic you are talking about is perhaps the below one in which all 10 F-104s are neatly lined up at Peshawar base ...

118.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Unlike F-5s, the PAF had a good pool of pilots that were proficient on F-104s hence they were flown by our own pilots and were employed in the combat...Thats what I know , I hope Sir Murad K will correct me if I am wrong...looking forward to his input..

Most of them were at Sargodha
By W/G Aftab
Battles of PAF.

Sqn Ldr Sadruddin and Flt Lt Middlecoat landed the first Starfighters at PAF Base Sargodha in 1962. In the following months, Pakistan inducted a total of 10 F-104A and two dual seat F-104B training aircraft in No 9 Squadron. These were USAF F-104C aircraft refurbished and updated with the latest J-79-11A engine, and upward ejection seats. Equipped with the M-61 Vulcan six barrel gun, the AIM-9B Sidewinder missile and the AN/ASG-14T1 fire control system, the aircraft was designed for high altitude (above 5000 feet), day /night interception/combat. Pakistan was the first country in Asia to induct a Mach 2 aircraft into its airforce. While most countries in Europe were still flying subsonic aircraft and none in Asia had an aircraft of this class and technology, many in Pakistan and abroad were skeptical of the PAF's ability to fly and maintain this advanced system. The PAF's flying skills, technological prowess, and competence, were soon proven. The pilots and ground crew of No.9 Squadron, who had been handpicked from F-86 squadrons, became the envy of the PAF by gaining mastery of the aircraft. To be part of No.9 Squadron, the cream of the PAF, was a great honour and privilege. In 1964 I was lucky to be given this honor. Sqn Ldr Jamal A Khan, the Squadron Commander was a very dedicated officer who set and maintained high standards. Training and flying in this Squadron was hard work. Safety always came first.
The J-79-11A engine was sophisticated and complicated. It had inlet guide vanes in front of the engine, and a variable nozzle system in the rear. These were liable to fail, but the PAF maintenance crew had mastered the equipment. We only had one engine flame out, and the pilot Flt Lt Khalid managed to make a 'dead stick' landing. This was a difficult maneuver requiring precise judgement. The pattern was flown at 240kts and the landing flare started 300 ft above ground level, to make a touch down at 190 kt, on a 9000 feet long runway. Only one F-104 was lost during training - a training air combat sortie - in which Flt Lt Asghar 'pitched up', and went into a spin. He ejected safely at high speed, and received major bruises. The aircraft was replaced under the MAP program. Operational training was fun. Flying at Mach 2 was an incomparable experience. The thrill of coming under radar control, attacking F-86 formations, that were denied radar help, was a fighter pilot's dream come true. The F-104 zoomed out of nowhere, and before the F-86 pilots could start their defensive maneuvers, the F-104 had completed its simulated missile launch and was breaking off.

Before the War

Sqn Ldr Jamal handed over the squadron to Sqn Ldr Middlecoat who commanded it during the 1965 War. Sqn Ldr Middlecoat was a thorough professional, who remained cool in the most trying circumstances. It was a pleasure serving under this wonderful and humane person. It wasn't long before war clouds started to appear on the horizon. The fun days were coming to an end. The real stuff was starting. Everybody started looking into the operational aspects of the aircraft. How could the F-104 be used in Combat against India? The F-104 was capable of very high-speed, and a terrific rate of climb, but its turning capability was severely limited. It had to achieve complete surprise to accomplish a successful attack. The enemy had radar cover above 5000 ft. Even if the target maneuvered slightly, the F-104 had to break off. Several exercises were conducted under these conditions, and the subsonic aircraft operating under radar cover were found able to easily defend themselves. The combat potential of the Starfighter, under these conditions was therefore questionable.
Besides the F-104, the PAF had about 102 F-86F aircraft of 1952 vintage. Compared with the relatively modern Hawker Hunter Mk VI with an engine of 10,000lb, the F-86 with only 6000lb thrust was grossly under-powered. Some Pakistani pilots in the UK had flown the Hunter and the Gnat and they reckoned that the F-86F did not stand a chance against the either the Hunter or the Gnat in air combat. The IAF also had excellent ground attack aircraft, Mystere IV and Vampires; these would become effective after air superiority was achieved. Therefore, the PAF could not afford to lose the battle for air superiority. If they did, the Pakistani ground forces would have come under severe pressure. Pakistan had only one main fighter base at Sargodha, and two smaller bases at Karachi and Peshawar. There were only two high powered radars, one in the north, and one in the south. The lines of communication ran north-south, close to the border and were very vulnerable. The PAF had a huge responsibility.
Early in 1965, warlike activity started in the disputed territory of Indian held Kashmir. Air Vice Marshal (AVM) Nur Khan had taken command of the PAF, just before the war. These were the days when we would be briefed daily, 'under no account should any IAF aircraft be pursued across the border, if an aircraft is shot down, the wreckage must fall within Pakistani territory'. This was done to ensure that India would not be provoked into escalating to an all out war. All the concentration was along the disputed territory of Kashmir. On 3rd September 1965 an IAF Gnat was flying over Pakistan, on its way to its home base. A lone F- 104 was vectored to intercept the aircraft. Closing in at supersonic speed, the F-104 crossed the Gnat. There was no chance of making a successful intercept. But the Gnat pilot, probably thinking that there were more aircraft in the area, promptly lowered his gears and landed at a disused Pakistani airfield below, and surrendered himself. At that time, few thought that there was any chance of a real war breaking out. Life went on as usual. The routine was that a daily morning Combat Air patrol (CAP) would be airborne well before dawn. The F-104 formation would climb to \
30, 000 feet, patrol the area near Kashmir and land back one hour after sunrise.

The War

The balloon went up on the morning of 6th September 1965. I got airborne with my wingman on a CAP mission. We climbed out under radar control, and were directed to the border near Kashmir. I was informed that the IAF had crossed the Pakistani border and were attacking ground positions approximately 80nm south of us. This meant that India had actually decided to start an all out war. We were immediately vectored to the area, and were soon over the site where the Indian aircraft were attacking. While dawn was breaking at 15,000 feet, it was still dark down below. I asked for permission to descend to ground level, but was denied. The reason given was that radio contact would be lost. I, however, decided to descend and leaving my wingman at 15,000 feet, to act as radio relay, I dove down and headed towards some flashes. As I reached the area, I was surprised to see that I was flying head-on into a formation of four IAF Mystere IV aircraft that were attacking ground targets. I was shocked more than I was surprised, as I felt a wave of anger leap through me. I had to shoot down these aircraft. I jettisoned my external fuel tanks and started to engage the Mysteres, as they turned into me. Maneuvering started at tree top level. I kept my eyes 'glued' on the target. I could feel the strain, under high 'G's', looking over the tail of the aircraft, keeping the enemy in sight, and skimming the trees at high speed. One mistake, and I would have hit the ground. If I had lost sight of the Mysteres, the fight would have been over. The F-104, with the afterburner blazing, at low altitude, was responding very well. I used the high speed take -off Flaps to improve the turning capability as required. The 'Stick Shaker' was a big help, in flying the aircraft to its limit. The Mysteres would have no problem keeping the F-104 in sight because of its afterburner. After some hectic maneuvering, I was positioned behind two aircraft, but the other two were still not visible. I then spotted them, further ahead. Joy leapt through me; I armed my weapons, and decided to shoot the first two with missiles and the next two with guns. I fully realized that a confidential order prohibited me from using the missiles below 10, 000 ft. However, I was sure the missiles could be used effectively at any height, provided the targets could be discriminated from background heat sources. A distinct increase in missile tone ensured this. I set the wingspan of the Mystere IV, and started to recall the missile-firing checklist. 'Check Range', 'Check Tone', 'Check G's', 'Squeeze the trigger and hold'. I aimed the missile at the nearest aircraft, and heard the loud pitched missile tone. The sight indicated that I was in range. With all other requisite firing conditions met, I squeezed the trigger, and kept it pressed. I waited, only to note that the missile had not fired. As I looked towards the left missile, I saw a big flash, and the missile leaving the aircraft. The missile had taken, as stipulated in the manual, approx. 8/10ths of a second to fire after the trigger had been pressed but in combat, this seemed like an eternity. The flash of the missile blinded me for a few seconds. The radar controller who was also monitoring the radio of the Mystere's, immediately informed me that one Mystere had been shot down and that another had been damaged. I was then at once instructed to turn right and pick up visual contact with the other Mysteres, which were exiting. I turned as directed but could not see them/

On landing back, I was informed that the dog fight had taken place overhead the Rahwali Airfield where a low powered radar was located. The Mystere's wreckage had fallen close by; the other three had gotten away. It gave me great satisfaction and amusement to think the effect that would be created on the IAF when the tale of the encounter with, 'the F-104' was narrated by the pilots who got away. To quote Hussaini, the PAF's official aviation painter, 'Apart from being the first encounter to start the war in earnest, the engagement was also significant in other respects. It marked a new era in dogfighting at very low altitude. It was also the first combat kill by any Mach 2 aircraft and the first missile kill for the Pakistan Air Force'. Moreover, it was also proven that the F-104 and the Sidewinder missile were an effective weapon system at low altitude.

India had launched a full-scale attack, and we were now at war. India had the advantage of the aggressor, but had failed to take advantage of the 'first strike'. The PAF now had to counter attack. The Air Chief arrived on the base. As I saw him he looked confident, and very aggressive. He was a genius; his planning was only surpassed by his boldness in execution. He had to fight 900 Indian aircraft with his 150. What could he do? The odds were impossible. He immediately gave instructions to reconnoiter (recce) the forward IAF air bases of Halwara and Adampur with the F-104. The pilots returned to report that the airfields had a full compliment of aircraft. He then enquired how many aircraft were available for a 'dusk attack'. He was told that only seven F-86's were serviceable. He ordered four to attack the IAF Base of Adampur, and three to attack Halwara Air Base. The plan appeared absurd. Attacking an airfield with only four aircraft and three aircraft respectively, after a recce .The enemy would be waiting. The attack was sure to fail. Subordinate commanders tried to convince the Chief to withdraw the order. None of us could appreciate the reason behind his logic. Command is lonely, and it takes courage to stand by one's convictions. The Chief stood firm. The 'dusk attack' was launched.
The seven PAF F-86 aircraft that took part in the 'Dusk Strike' two were shot down. The PAF kept attacking the IAF bases all night with B-57 bombers. The Air Chief hoped that the IAF would retaliate next morning, and attack the main PAF fighter base Sargodha that was 90 nm from the border. Radar was not effective at low altitude; therefore, the PAF had a string of Mobile Observer Units (MOU's), that could plot and report low flying aircraft in Pakistani territory. Since the IAF attack was expected at low level, it would not be a surprise for the PAF. The only question now was, whether the IAF would take the bait, and attack Sargodha. Early next morning, on 7th September 1965, a large number of PAF F-104 and F-86 aircraft set up a Combat Air Patrol (CAP), over /near Sargodha, waiting for the enemy to attack. The F-104s were assigned the outer perimeter, while the F-86s were kept closer to the airfield. The Mobile Observer Units started to report the incoming intruders as they crossed the border and headed for Sargodha. The anti-aircraft guns opened fire as the first group of attacking aircraft came in. Surprisingly, these planes got through, without being intercepted. The next attack was picked up by Flt Lt Arif Iqbal motta in a F-104, and as he was about to fire, he suddenly saw an F- 86 flight appear between him and the enemy, and shoot down the Mystere. The attacks then came wave after wave, each one being intercepted, mostly by F-86's, because they were positioned closer to the airfield. Flt Lt Amjad, in a F-104, shot down a Mystere, only to fly into the debris of the exploding aircraft. He ejected safely. By noon all attacks had ceased. The 'Battle for Sargodha' had been won. Never again in this war did the IAF venture to attack Sargodha in daytime. AVM Nur Khan had scored; the genius and courage of his plan had worked, his main air defence assets were safe.
The pilots of No.9 Squadron competed fiercely, to undertake as many combat missions as they could. Never missing a chance to close with the enemy, hungry for combat. In the days that followed, the F-104 pilots noted that whenever they got airborne, the IAF grounded all its aircraft. This made it very difficult for the F-104 pilots to engage the enemy during daytime hours. Flt Lt Mushtaq, my brother, flying a F-104 in the same Squadron, made contact with the enemy, only to note that as he approached the target, the IAF Hunters disengaged well in time. Flt Lt 'Micky' Abbas in an F-104 had a similar episode. This experience would be repeated for the F-104 pilots for all daytime interceptions. I personally patrolled in a lone F-104, at 30,000ft, deep inside Indian territory, over the two Indian fighter airfields of Adampur and Halwara for one hour, and there was no response from the Indian side, no IAF fighter aircraft were scrambled to engage the intruder leisurely loitering over Indian airbases. This was total air superiority, and it displayed the complete and utter supremacy the Starfighter enjoyed over the IAF.

At medium and high altitudes the F-104 ruled the sky. The IAF refused to challenge the Starfighter, keeping at a safe arm's length distance from challenging it. But below 5000ft, a fierce battle raged between the F-86 and the IAF fighters, mainly the Hunters and Gnats. The F-86 was the workhorse of the PAF, it was under-powered, outnumbered, and out-gunned. Nevertheless, the F-86 pilots showed great courage as they fearlessly engaged their opponents, and displayed an unusual skill for air combat, achieving an excellent kill ratio. The F-104 by controlling the sky at medium and high altitude, had reduced the workload for the F-86 's to the extent that the disparity in numbers was manageable. The F-86's could now hold their own against the enemy at low altitude. The F-104/F-86 team had won the battle for the air. The PAF had fully established air superiority. The job had been done; numbers did not matter now. The will of the enemy to fight the F-104 had been broken. It was a tremendous contribution by the F-104 in the war effort. The Starfighter reigned supreme. It had played a pivotal role in the defense of Pakistan, and the battle for air supremacy by the PAF.

not trying to be rude or anything, but what i stated is not bs, and i'll prove it

1st lemme start off by telling u why high altitude reduces performance when taking off, its quite simple, high in the mountains the air is thinner, thinner air means less air for the engine thus less thrust. ironically some of you might say that planes reach their max speed at high altitudes, this is true because at those altitudes the planes are going so fast that a lot of air flows into their engine, but on the ground you are going 0 mph.

now let me give you some facts:

-china has only 8-10 bases near the border in which the range of the j-7 and j-8 can be used to its full extent, however the mountains are really high there meaning performance is drastically reduced, meaning the planes can only carry 1-2 weapons and limited fuel

-considering that the 8-10 bases are so close, the ia can easily launch CM and destroy those bases and reparing them isn't easy because the supply routes can also be bombed and if any of you have seen mountain roads then u know what i'm talking about

-thus we can remove those 8-10 bases out of the equation meaning the j-10, j-11, and su's will have to be based farther inland, they can be refuelled, giving them normal range. but other factors must be considered,

-1st factor is fatigue, remember that the cockpit is a very cramped space, have you ever been on a really long drive and had that feeling? that's exactly what will happen to them after about an hour working the controls and doing difficult refuelling the pilot MUST be fatigued to some extent

-the 2nd factor is that the j-10, j-11, and mkk's avionics are not as good compared to the mki, upgraded mig-29, and m2k (the new mig-29 radar is comparable to the mkk's) the iaf takes a long time to make decisions, but in that time they buy the best eq available

-3rd factor is that all of the iaf's bases are at sea level and even if bombed can easily be repared because of huge manpower and proxmity to cities tibet is scarcely populated and very rugged making repair work difficult also a hostile population

-if you combine these factors than you have a situiation in which the chinese pilot takes off with full combat load and minimum fuel and has to refuel over air, which isn't easy due to the analog systems the plaaf uses, and after that task is accomplished the pilot has to ride for 1 hour in a cramped cockpit, idk about you but i get cramps after driving too long. when he engages the iaf he will not only face pilots who have trained against the mkk and su-27 in their migs and m2k's but also planes with much better avionics and also ground defenses (akash has claimed kill rate of 85% and has been ordered). all backed by the phalcon aewacs and this is a pretty lethal situiation when all of the factors are combined.

clearly this is not a fantasy, i welcome any counterpoints i believe i have mentioned counterpoints, but if you have some plx post them

hmmm where to start with this huge mess of a post......Seems you are abit of a idiot
Frankly it is so fantastical that i am not gonna bother......grow up and stop posting bullshit........

instead of saying the same thing as other people and flaming me which will get you nowhere why dont you post valid counterpoints and say something constructive.

damn i dont fell like it get some counterpoints i dont have to prove anything to you ; frankly you tried your best tho

Just a point for all of our members, If you are making a point make it in a way that you don't embrasse a senior member Please I think 99% people on the forum and very educated and we should respect them. It goes for both Pakistani's and Indian's.
We all are proud of who we are what what we have accomplished.
Second thing we do have members who are very senior in armed forces serving and retired please respect them because they earned it no matter what the other side says.
If a memeber belongs to a TT and you make fun of him just stop and think about it how come he is in the TT because neo is his mama or chach no they are people who have more experience in there respective fields.
Once agin I say it and have said it a thousand times but this is for the new comer .
:pdf: is a forum for all but it is not your right to be here it is a privilage.

1st lemme start off by telling u why high altitude reduces performance when taking off, its quite simple, high in the mountains the air is thinner, thinner air means less air for the engine thus less thrust. ironically some of you might say that planes reach their max speed at high altitudes, this is true because at those altitudes the planes are going so fast that a lot of air flows into their engine, but on the ground you are going 0 mph.

0 mph on the ground????? I don’t have a clue what you are saying here!!! :disagree:

You are right that high altitudes reduces landing and take performances because the jet engine are big suckers, the less air you give them the more they will under perform….

Atmosphere thins out the higher you fly, it means that less résistance of air and it translates into more speeds for the same power settings. This speed at altitude is called True Air speed (TAS) and is NOT the one that you read on your gauge which is the Indicated air speed (IAS)…..For flight planning at high altitudes, pilots plan to maintain a TAS and if you throw the wind factor in it ( i.e head or tail wind), the TAS will give you the Ground Speed (GS) …..GS is the speed that you are actually covering the distance on the ground….SO I have no idea that how come you said that on ground the speed in Zero??? There are loads of other speeds as well that pilots consider but that will open a new chapter and I will perhaps stop here…..Also don’t confuse take off/ landing performances with straight & level flight at high altitudes: these are two very different aspects…

-china has only 8-10 bases near the border in which the range of the j-7 and j-8 can be used to its full extent, however the mountains are really high there meaning performance is drastically reduced, meaning the planes can only carry 1-2 weapons and limited fuel

Not true Sir…Do you know the airfield elevations of Quetta and Skardu?? Around 5300 and 7300 feet respectively …. These are few of the highest airfields in world from where the regular military jet operation is carried out….PAF has been operating all sorts of fighter aircrafts in various operating conditions from these two bases with full load of fuel and ammo…Never had a problem !

Another thing, do you know the configurations and bases in China from where our F-6s, A-5s and F-7Ps took off for their ferry flights to Pakistan?? They took off with full load , crossed Himalayas and landed in Pakistan….

-considering that the 8-10 bases are so close, the ia can easily launch CM and destroy those bases and reparing them isn't easy because the supply routes can also be bombed and if any of you have seen mountain roads then u know what i'm talking about

You are perhaps plying a video game here with enemy’s skill level setting at Recruit!! I don’t think that even Indian Army has such high ambitions or intentions to destroy 8 to 10 PLAAF bases….Where are Chinese when all this is happening? Sleeping?? :undecided:

-thus we can remove those 8-10 bases out of the equation meaning the j-10, j-11, and su's will have to be based farther inland, they can be refuelled, giving them normal range. but other factors must be considered,

Read my above comments…:enjoy:

-1st factor is fatigue, remember that the cockpit is a very cramped space, have you ever been on a really long drive and had that feeling? that's exactly what will happen to them after about an hour working the controls and doing difficult refuelling the pilot MUST be fatigued to some extent

Yes the cockpit of a fighter plane is not a very spacious place but it’s a matter of getting used to the environments….With air-air refuellers around the world, pilots are used to fly 7 to 8 hours non stop rather even more…..During 1988 Afghan conflict, 2 to 2.5 hours CAPs were routine for F-16 guys and pilots were used to fly three mission a day with 2.5 hours / mission….Don’t underestimate the human power….:smokin:

-the 2nd factor is that the j-10, j-11, and mkk's avionics are not as good compared to the mki, upgraded mig-29, and m2k (the new mig-29 radar is comparable to the mkk's) the iaf takes a long time to make decisions, but in that time they buy the best eq available

This has been discussed to death in other threads on PDF…NO further discussion required on this again and again…:disagree:

-3rd factor is that all of the iaf's bases are at sea level and even if bombed can easily be repared because of huge manpower and proxmity to cities tibet is scarcely populated and very rugged making repair work difficult also a hostile population

You need to do some research here mate…you are making things look too easy for one side and too difficult for the other…maintain some balance…There is nothing else that I can say ??

-if you combine these factors than you have a situiation in which the chinese pilot takes off with full combat load and minimum fuel and has to refuel over air, which isn't easy due to the analog systems the plaaf uses, and after that task is accomplished the pilot has to ride for 1 hour in a cramped cockpit, idk about you but i get cramps after driving too long. when he engages the iaf he will not only face pilots who have trained against the mkk and su-27 in their migs and m2k's but also planes with much better avionics and also ground defenses (akash has claimed kill rate of 85% and has been ordered). all backed by the phalcon aewacs and this is a pretty lethal situiation when all of the factors are combined.

I will save my typing finger here …..Points already discussed and answered ….

Thanks Son,
Like I said they read stuff from books like ACP1 which they don't understand and then come on the internet.
X you know the zero theory is right, And then I got a kick on my *** and heard a voice:argh:
" Wake up you are getting late ":lol::lol::lol:

rpa1 this is not the topic about india and china...it is india and pakistan and realistically u know it india and china will never fight!! so please if u want to discuss ur "points" about india and china please go to another thread. keep it more topic specific

Hi,

I was wondering whether I could slip in a discussion here on the possible tactics which might be used by both the airforces in the event of a future conflict?

All the previous literature I've read (indian sources I admit) on the Indo-Pak wars appear to reveal that full-fledged war began with a series of pre-emptive strikes by the PAF on IAF bases. In the absence of any fore knowledge of PAF/IAF war plans, I have to extrapolate past data onto the present scenario and say that in the next war also it might be the PAF which will launch the first strike.

The damage that that first strike will cause and the reaction to it will dictate the air combat which will subsequently unfold over the subcontinent. My guess is that as usual the PAF will intially go on the offensive to neutralize the IAF by pounding the IAF
bases with cruise/ballistic missiles and then shift to the defensive mode and wait for the IAF response.

Thereafter, the PAF's aim will be to 'prune' the IAF's 'numerical superiority' by shooting down as many of the strike packages that the IAF might send into PAK.

Thus I end my humble contribution to this thread. This has been a fairly long thread with emotions running high at most times, so I can understand if members do not wish to entertain any further posts on this thread especially from freshers like me! Thanks anyway for reading.

Yes he was. He mentioned Khattak to me ;)

You sure its Ali Quli Khan Khattak and not his brother? I thought the former was the CGS Pakistan Army.

The IP definitely remembered the Khattak name. Thus he mentioned that they did not use first names.

Here are the original six: the pioneers of our F-16 gang…:enjoy:

From L-R : Sami Toor , Shahid Latif, Shahid Javed, Gen Zia, CAS Anwar Shamim, Ahmad Kuli Khattak, Ovais , Muzaffar ( ???? )

1bc04d77b02313495636f456821d1087.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality of pic….

Thanks X I have the originals I will post them and the ones while the American IP were teaching.
For the last 2 days I have been trying to get a photo of Khatak , we stopped in Egypt for fuel and thought hi lets see the pyramids at Giza. the main enterance had a long line so Khatak as ever finds a different way a small tunnel which was ment for people to comeout side not go inside , we all go in and Khatak is the first one now he was so tall that he had to crawl we went about 100 yards and he got stuck:rofl::rofl: it was to narrow for him, I have a photo of him trying to get out:lol: of there hopefully I will find it.

Hi,The damage that that first strike will cause and the reaction to it will dictate the air combat which will subsequently unfold over the subcontinent. My guess is that as usual the PAF will intially go on the offensive to neutralize the IAF by pounding the IAF
bases with cruise/ballistic missiles and then shift to the defensive mode and wait for the IAF response.

Thereafter, the PAF's aim will be to 'prune' the IAF's 'numerical superiority' by shooting down as many of the strike packages that the IAF might send into PAK.

A pre-emptive strike by PAF: well it all depends that how a war builds up and in which sector…

Before the 1965 war was officially started, the skirmishes had already begun since April/May 1965….PAF fully entered the conflict in September until the culmination of the war…I do agree with you that an offensive in the beginning will elevate the spirits and have a psychological and operational effects on the opponent….But considering the modern ADGE and early warning capabilities, it wont be an easy feat….

It is also very likely that long range cruise missiles with conventional warheads will be used to create havoc on each others bases instead of sending manned strike packages? Being a smaller airforce, PAF will perhaps look for an operational advantage from the very start by sending long range missiles at IAF bases that are a bit deeper e,g Adampur, Halwara, Suratgarh, Ambala. While the closer bases e.g. Pathanokt, Amritsar, Srinagar etc might receive manned strike packages….Remember that PAF will also be generating and sparing a huge effort to support Pak Army’s operations as well ….

So how PAFs fighter effort will be distributed in Offensive, Counter Air Offensive, Supporting and Defensive operations , no one can predict it now….However, one thing is sure, it will be one hell of a bloody war with casualties well surpassing all the figures of the previous Indo-Pak wars…..

Firstly well i think India is talking about "surgical strikes" which i guess is how the war would be initiated!! well i guess a formation of 2 SU-30's will fly cover for 3 Mirage 2000's(the main strike package)!! this strike package will be heading for the Lahore air base! another strike package consisting of SU-30's as cover will head for the Sargodha airbase! the first strike package shall be meet by 2 F-7Ps flying CAP. while the strike package heading for Sargodha will be intercepted by 2 F-16's scarmbled from Sargodha!!

well who will do what i wil leave it for the think tanks to elaborate....however once the IAF strike is over PAF shall strike back at Halwara & Pathankot with 3 F-16s flying cover to 3 Mirage 5 ROSE upgrades....please guys help me elaborate and more detailed not with my half baked knowledge!!

Hi,

My thanks for the insightful inputs.

Firstly well i think India is talking about "surgical strikes" which i guess is how the war would be initiated!!

Historical data does not reveal any occasion where India has conducted 'surgical strikes'. If anyone can provide data to the contrary I shall stand corrected. Anyway, for the opening ceremonies let's go with the x_man's view -- initial missile strikes complemented by manned aircraft strikes. Moving on guys... after the initial strike comes the actual A2A battle for air superiority. How will this play out?

The common wisdom I hear is that this (the A2A battle) will be a BVR thingie where the one who sees the other first and shoots first wins. So the dream scenario appears to have both the teams trying to use their AWACS & AEW assets to detect the other and let loose a rain of BVR missiles on the enemy from 'miles away'. And then the winner lives happily ever after... is it that simple?!!

From the flight simulator games I play :guns: I've got the impression that AWACS & AEW assets are usually plump targets which are the first to go down in air combat & 'fire & forget' BVR missiles are better 'forgotten' due to extensive radar & IR jamming. Is this assumption correct?

Which means it will again come down to the 1 Vs 1 dogfights of the yesteryears. Past exchanges reveal that in dogfights the smaller/lighter/less complicated one (Saberjet/Gnat) wins... So the airforce with the smaller/lighter/simpler birds has the advantage. I would like to have some thoughts on this.

Hi,

My thanks for the insightful inputs.

Historical data does not reveal any occasion where India has conducted 'surgical strikes'. If anyone can provide data to the contrary I shall stand corrected. Anyway, for the opening ceremonies let's go with the x_man's view -- initial missile strikes complemented by manned aircraft strikes. Moving on guys... after the initial strike comes the actual A2A battle for air superiority. How will this play out?

The common wisdom I hear is that this (the A2A battle) will be a BVR thingie where the one who sees the other first and shoots first wins. So the dream scenario appears to have both the teams trying to use their AWACS & AEW assets to detect the other and let loose a rain of BVR missiles on the enemy from 'miles away'. And then the winner lives happily ever after... is it that simple?!!

From the flight simulator games I play :guns: I've got the impression that AWACS & AEW assets are usually plump targets which are the first to go down in air combat & 'fire & forget' BVR missiles are better 'forgotten' due to extensive radar & IR jamming. Is this assumption correct?

Which means it will again come down to the 1 Vs 1 dogfights of the yesteryears. Past exchanges reveal that in dogfights the smaller/lighter/less complicated one (Saberjet/Gnat) wins... So the airforce with the smaller/lighter/simpler birds has the advantage. I would like to have some thoughts on this.
BVR is not the ultimate in an air battle. There are many ways to counter it, But its something to watch out for nonetheless.

the IAF has china to worry about...PAf is surely smaller lesser capable than the Chinese...so in the process of 'worrying' about the PLAF...we achieve more...i dpnt know why you view our defence acquisitions with being Pakistan centeric...the trend is increasingly counter-Chinese now...except the latest Orion deal(to counter the growing PN sub strenght)

As far as China is concerned india should forget about that because only the multirole aircrafts of chinese airforce crosses the figure of 390, chinese airforce also possess 800 interceptors, 220 bombers, 400 ground attack aircrafts with unknown number of many others. Being the old and traditional rival of pakistan it must have taken Pakistan into a serious view before making its deals and hegemonic designs.:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom