What's new

PAF validates concept of fighter operations from motorways

If you move on motorway you can see th "H" on various points for Heli Emergency landings. Its good now they tried Aircrafts. It means we have more than 1000 KM (Soon if the undergoing project finish) of runway all over pakistan.

great job........... fantastic this will strenghtn our defence. pakistan is fifth cuntry to land plan on motoway:yahoo::yahoo:

great job PAF, and why every one is discusing where to land motorway or highway???? why not you ppl can just tell us what tactical advantages dose this landing on motorway holds.:cheers::pakistan:

:cheesy: This is indeed a feat...congratulations. Am envious.

Can any fighter land on the motorways, given sufficient space ?
Gripen, i know, can land on roads as well.

:cheesy: This is indeed a feat...congratulations. Am envious.

Can any fighter land on the motorways, given sufficient space ?
Gripen, i know, can land on roads as well.

Yes almost any fighter jet can land on motorways such as shown above. the barriers needs to be moved and cleared of any obstacles such as excesses tree branches sticking out.
But maintenance is a big factor for aircrafts operating from the motorways. Their are some air crafts that may require some sort of spare parts, heavy maintenance, etc which means more logistic nightmares for operating in motorways.
basically landing and take off from motor ways is not a big thing but how effectively the air craft can utilize the motor way for combat roles which PAF is more interested in then just landings and take off.

in this picture mirage is tacking off after getting refueled on motorway.

24203405703559918213731.jpg

Bravo idea.

Which country introduce this idea at first, pk?

Well many countries tried it in the past but it was Sweden who perfected it.

However, It´s a big difference between Pakistan motorway operations and the Swedish "Road-base90-system". In Sweden that meant that practically every fighter had its own runway and it was protected by a company of soldiers. I think cold war Sweden had more preparations against a sudden attack by a superpower than any other country at that time. To save my typing finger, I will present the excerpts from a Swedish forum that describes how the Swedish Base-90 system worked.

Base-90 in the 80s had a Basebattalion -85 for it´s protection and support. It was just a development of the Base-60 with further focus on dispersing the planes, e.g. using road bases and such.

A typical airbase-90 consisted of:
A main runway (often located out in the forest)
Several, up to five, short runways (usually public roads)
A "sidebase" (normally a civilian airport)
A reserve base

All these runways was connected with a system of roads so the planes could move around and the ground-support teams were mobile. A typical airbase-90 only consisted of 4-8 planes so they were VERY dispersed and had a lot of runways to choose from.

Such a base was supported of a Base-85 battalion that consisted of 1500-2000 men. 1500 men to support only 4 planes seems much but most of them were airbase rangers that would hunt and kill Spetsnaz (Russian special force) , repair teams to fix the runways and clear them from unexploded bombs and mines and ground support , they had to be plenty since they were dispersed in such a large area and there were so many runways.

The threat was a sudden massive attack from soviet. Our fighters would hopefully get airborne and counter the first wave. Since we had so many (several hundred) runways they couldn’t possibly destroy all. The ones that would have been destroyed would have been fixed again before 24h. Rearmed and refuelled the fighters would have left again within 8 minutes and be on the way for the next mission. Even if the attack came as a surprise and some fighters were on the ground not many of them would have been destroyed thanks to the fact they were so dispersed (only 4 planes in a huge airbase system).

From what we have seen in recent wars it was clearly the right idea. Instead of having a few airbases with many planes and counting on the concrete shelters would give your planes protection, many airbases with several runways dispersed over a huge area with just a handful of planes is a better choice. In todays wars mobility is the key.

But now Base-90 is coming to an end. The focus of the Swedish armed forces is now on international use and so are our base battalions. Nowadays the few ones that are remaining will be able to be transported anywhere in the world, find a reasonable straight strip of highway and turn it to an airbase for our Gripens that will participate in a coalition force.

Now coming back to our own concept of operation. Its quite evident that due to our own existing road infrastructure, Pakistan cannot have anything like Swedish Base-90. However we have to use whatever we have and till now I think PAF has utilised the given resources very well.

Besides Motorways, take another example to the road runway. If anyone has travelled from Sargodha to Faisalabad, one comes across a road patch that suddenly gets wider and even had the centreline marked (runway style) that has now faded over the period of time.

roadrunway.jpg

It was a concept that was very well thought out in early 90s when this portion of road was modified. Being closed to Sargodha it not only could land planes in emergency but also provided the logistical support in terms of rearming and turnaround of the fighters in case if the main runway was damaged. However, over the years with some new airfields made available in the surroundings, the road runway somehow lost its originality and utilisation, and has now turned into a just another road.

As far as our motorways’ are concerned, I think they will be used only as a last resort emergency strip in case of outbreak of hostilities where a damaged or a fuel starving plane will land, quickly refuelled or get fixed ( depends on the severity) and off it goes to the main Base. Due to our logistic limitations, Motorways can’t be turned into a full fledge facility where aircrafts will get armed etc .

Despite all our limited resources, I admire our military thinks/planners who are at least making an effort to utilise whatever we have to the best of our advantage. The concept has just started and still evolving in our arena, Motorways might turn into a much greater facility than what they are now, you never know.....!!

If a wars gotten bad enough that you have no bases left, what are the chances fighters will still be taking off?

I mean there will be a point after which any airforce will decide to cut its losses and simply not have any more sorties.

it would be a precautionary and pre-emptive arrangement

we are dealing with an enemy that is much larger in size; this is basically an assurance for PAF, and a warning for those outside forces that we do now have this newly revealed capability

it would be a precautionary and pre-emptive arrangement

we are dealing with an enemy that is much larger in size; this is basically an assurance for PAF, and a warning for those outside forces that we do now have this newly revealed capability

I dont see this as any kind of warning. Can see a scarcity of resources and alternatives though, and fear of being wiped off air and support assests in a surprise first strike. So in a way preparation for enevitable worst situation in case of conflict with India.

Thanks.

good news for the pakistanis

this will give them much greater strategic flexibility.
also it will become very difficult to knock out the PAF by just hitting the airstrips. the planes can now be just towed out of the hangars and take off from the road connecting the airstrip to the rest of the world ;)

though i have a few doubts about a few things.
1) airstrips are usually free of debris. a motorway due to its common day usage will have a lot of debris lying around. wont this damage the engines?

2) airstrips are made of special materials which are not affected greatly bu the hot exhaust of the jet engine. will the motorway be adversely affected by the jets?

I dont see this as any kind of warning. Can see a scarcity of resources and alternatives though, and fear of being wiped off air and support assests in a surprise first strike. So in a way preparation for enevitable worst situation in case of conflict with India.

Thanks.

Thanks for your input, my jingoistic friend.

Based on past experience, we need not under/over-estimate our enemy and her capabilities. It is promising, nevertheless, that indians never managed to attain air superiority over Pakistan.

Pattankot and Kailakunda examples prove that maybe its indians who may want to consider similar alternatives in the event of hostilities ;);)

It has nothing to do with fear. It has to do with battle preparation and testing new capabilities. M1/M2, given their topnotch quality and width, would be purely aux. in nature.

I recognize iaf as an advancing and strong air force. But your maintenance records --especially on those soviet-era Migs leave much to be desired! :smokin:

p.s. this is your 2nd (3rd?) username after previous bans. You need to get your sh*t together man, don't be thinking you can come on here and treat this forum like your standard indian bharat rhatshak. The Mods have been very lenient with you; so post sensibly otherwise daffa ho jao

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom