What's new

PAF validates concept of fighter operations from motorways

I have done them on both. On the Enterprise at that. There is an amazing amount of tiny nooks and assorted crevices on an aircraft carrier's flight deck that I do not encounter on a daily maintained USAF base runway.

ya I have been told that, would love to one day do a FOD walk myself lol great to have someone like you here Gambit.

ya I have been told that, would love to one day do a FOD walk myself lol great to have someone like you here Gambit.
Fishbones...!!! In rough seas, waves can wash over the flight deck and small fishes can be trapped somewhere, die, their flesh rotted away and eventually their bones made themselves known. All it takes is one day on an aircraft carrier and it is understandable why any navy would want their own aircrafts to withstand the unique environmental stresses the navy endure.

“ This is the first time our aircraft successfully conducted landing and take off operations from the Motorway”, Air Vice Marshall Suhail Aman said. He congratulated the crewmembers of a Mirage and a F-7 aircraft on their successful operations from the Motorway. Federal Minster for Communications Arbab Alamgir Khan was the chief guest of the ceremony, which, apart from the PAF officials, was also attended by the high ups of the National Highway Authority as well as Motorway/Highway Police. According to operational details the two aircraft which land at an average of 300 miles per hour speed were refuelled, rearmed and re-launched for air operations, thus validating the PAF concept of fighter operations from the Motorways and National Highways of the country.
The Mirage aircraft was operated by Wing Commander Atta ur Rehman, while F-7 aircraft was operated by Squadron Leader Nasir Mehmood.

Speaking on the occasion, Federal Minister for Communications also congratulated the PAF as well as the crew members of the aircraft for the hallmark development in the defence of the country.
He assured them that government would leave no stone unturned in meeting needs of the PAF and other armed forces in order to make country’s defence impregnable.

Later, talking to the media, the minister disclosed that negotiations between his ministry and the PAF were underway to provide all requisite facilities to the Air Force on Motorways and Highways of the country. Meanwhile PAF sources while commenting on the operational advantages of such operations said that PAF has joined few countries including the Sweden that are leading in such capability.

Source

This will help, to maintain & improve highway roads as well in higher quality standards.

Last edited:
you've never travelled on our motorways. They are kept extremely clean. I've never even seen a lost hubcap. Debris lying around is definately not a problem. After accidents, they do a good job cleaning up broken glass and other alien objects. Certain preparations need to be in place prior to using it as landing/takeoff strip --such as removing barriers, closing traffic, removing any protruding tree branch etc.

i was not really concerned about such things as debris from an accident or something.

i was talking about smaller and more prevalent sand and small stones. stuff one might classify as 'bajri' in india. things that seem to be ever present on a road.

however the posts by Gambit about FOD walks etc have cleared those doubts to a great extent

Last edited:
f-7+paf.jpg

Pakistan Air Force’s Mirage and F-7 fighter jets used motorway as runway for emergency landing. During the High Mark 2010 military exercises, Wing Commander Atta-ur-Rehman was flying Mirage where as Squadron leader Nadeem Iqbal was flying F-7P when 9,000 ft long and 103 ft wide piece of Islamabad-Lahore motorway was used as runway.In the 3-hour long exercises, the Pakistan Air Force fighters practiced picking up fuel and arms. After landing, the aircraft were refuelled, rearmed and re-launched. Touch and go has been practiced on motorway during 2 earlier exercises whereas in High Mark 2010 exercises motorway has been used as airbase in emergency settings. High Mark-2010, launched March 15, is the PAF’s biggest war game in five years and covers the the entire country.:pakistan:
BY: JANG

Last edited:
f-7+paf.jpg

Pakistan Air Force’s Mirage and F-7 fighter jets used motorway as runway for emergency landing. During the High Mark 2010 military exercises, Wing Commander Atta-ur-Rehman was flying Mirage where as Squadron leader Nadeem Iqbal was flying F-7P when 9,000 ft long and 103 ft wide piece of Islamabad-Lahore motorway was used as runway.In the 3-hour long exercises, the Pakistan Air Force fighters practiced picking up fuel and arms. After landing, the aircraft were refuelled, rearmed and re-launched. Touch and go has been practiced on motorway during 2 earlier exercises whereas in High Mark 2010 exercises motorway has been used as airbase in emergency settings. High Mark-2010, launched March 15, is the PAF’s biggest war game in five years and covers the the entire country.:pakistan:
BY: JANG

MISLEADING TITLE!

Highways will be used thoughout the war even if all the bases are fully in tacked.

MISLEADING TITLE!

Highways will be used thoughout the war even if all the bases are fully in tacked.
Pakistan need a spider net defense system . which will make very difficult to penetrate there bases .

It will act as either one or a series of additional pit stops, increasing operational range and operational timing.

The title is of course misleading, even when i read it at first I felt like some one is trying to troll.

Pakistan need a spider net defense system . which will make very difficult to penetrate there bases .

Spider SAM is more Anti-aircraft system then multirole like SPADA-2000 plus which can engage Cruise missiles aircrafts and air to ground ammunition which pakistan is getting.

Back
Top Bottom