What's new

PAF participates in "Red Flag" and "Green Flag"

4851698737_54343ba388_b_d.jpg

4851699041_59a2b6e948_b_d.jpg

4851699145_1806c8aa89_b_d.jpg

In the last picture you can clearly see two female paf crew members as well; never knew they were a part of the red flag team as well :):tup:

Beautiful pictures!

Guys, remember that refueling is a time to take a few deep breaths and snap some pics... unless you are on the boom! Getting pictures of the actual ACBT or air to ground is extremely difficult from the rear seat of an F-16B, or the rear seat of any fighter. Air to air pictures - consider you are under up to 9G, and you'd be extremely lucky to snap anything from the rear seat that would even be identifiable as another airplane. And the guys in the back seat aren't going to want to play cameraman while the action is hot and heavy, they'll want to be a part of the mission. Trust me on that.

If the PAF releases the HUD video, that is where we are going to see significant images. I'm betting too that the PAF has a media person along to record a huge number of images of things like briefing, launch, debriefing, etc, but the media guy probably won't be flying. Just a guess. We'll hopefully see much more at a later date.

I've seen a HUD vid of the 1st Viper landing at Nellis AFB, thanks to the PAF media guy(also one of the 1st Viper pilots in late 80s), who is currently in Islamabad, met him a few days back.

Last edited:
Btw I have some hi-res pics of Red Flag, and JF-17, and of PAF F-16s when leaving for Red Flag. I don't know how to post them up, but if anyone needs any of them, just PM me.

Btw I have some hi-res pics of Red Flag, and JF-17, and of PAF F-16s when leaving for Red Flag. I don't know how to post them up, but if anyone needs any of them, just PM me.

Upload them on the image hosting website and then post the links back here. Good Luck:cheers:

I've seen a HUD vid of the 1st Viper landing at Nellis AFB, thanks to the PAF media guy(also one of the 1st Viper pilots in late 80s), who is currently in Islamabad, met him a few days back.

I probably should have qualified "they won't be flying" to "the rear seats are a hot commodity and mostly will go to other pilots." Unless the dedicated media guy is also a qualified F-16 pilot!

One of the problems is the tendency for non-crew members to get sick and become a huge distraction, possibly even causing an air interrupt.

Quick Red Flag story - we had an irritating AWACS scope jockey claimed he did all the hard work... all we had to do was go where he sent us. So we gave him a ride. Stuck him in "Mongo's" rear seat for a fight-tank-fight-RTB. Mongo was an animal. By the time the mission was over, and Mongo was taxiing in, we could see the AWACS guy slumped to one side. He looked unconscious or dead. When the canopy came up, he laid his head on the rail and simply let a string of drool trail to the ground. :sick: <-- looked like this; quite green. He had to be peeled out and carried away. All he could say was "Oh my god, oh my god." over and over. :devil:

I honestly don't know if we'll get much of anything equivalent to performance reports. There will be some general conclusions and summaries, but I'm not sure if there will be specifics.

The one way to get real info would be to talk directly to some of the opposition air who could give an accurate assessment, but I don't know anyone in those units any longer.

I probably should have qualified "they won't be flying" to "the rear seats are a hot commodity and mostly will go to other pilots." Unless the dedicated media guy is also a qualified F-16 pilot!

Yes sir he is a qualified F-16 pilot, when A/B models were brand-new, and he was my dads student on Vipers. The media guy is an experienced Viper driver from PAF(also flew for 3 years with TuAF on Block 30s and 40s).

red flag is over but no reselts no viedeo leake like indian mki nothing whats going on?.

One of the problems is the tendency for non-crew members to get sick and become a huge distraction, possibly even causing an air interrupt.

Quick Red Flag story - we had an irritating AWACS scope jockey claimed he did all the hard work... all we had to do was go where he sent us. So we gave him a ride. Stuck him in "Mongo's" rear seat for a fight-tank-fight-RTB. Mongo was an animal. By the time the mission was over, and Mongo was taxiing in, we could see the AWACS guy slumped to one side. He looked unconscious or dead. When the canopy came up, he laid his head on the rail and simply let a string of drool trail to the ground. :sick: <-- looked like this; quite green. He had to be peeled out and carried away. All he could say was "Oh my god, oh my god." over and over. :devil:

I honestly don't know if we'll get much of anything equivalent to performance reports. There will be some general conclusions and summaries, but I'm not sure if there will be specifics.

The one way to get real info would be to talk directly to some of the opposition air who could give an accurate assessment, but I don't know anyone in those units any longer.
The F-111E/F has a radar scope hood for the WSO...

f-111f_radar_hood.jpg

The 'E' model has an older radar and the scope hood, some called it the 'feedbag', is rounded. Non-flyers have gotten sick and blew chunks inside the hood because they were not quick enough to bring up the barf bag after they disconnect the oxygen mask. Sometimes even pilots will get queasy because of the hard TF ride. Crew chiefs and avionics are usually on the alert for any such ride. The scope is about 2-ft long and depending on model weighs more than 50lbs.

Yes sir he is a qualified F-16 pilot, when A/B models were brand-new, and he was my dads student on Vipers. The media guy is an experienced Viper driver from PAF(also flew for 3 years with TuAF on Block 30s and 40s).

Excellent. This isn't always the case. Sometimes, for important events, they'll assign someone from the outside to be "Mr. Media" who is a genius with a Nikon camera, but will barf during taxi-out. :azn:

Back
Top Bottom