What's new

PAF JF-17 in Farnborough Air Show 2010

Are the same two planes going to fly to China for the Zhuhai Airshow in November? The JF-17 will actually perform some GREAT STUNTS there. I think they should get the Pakistani pilots to come again since they are the most experienced flyers with this plane.

It could be either these planes or even may be the newer ones as by Nov, more JF-17s would have been added.

And it does seem, PAF pilots would be flying them as they are now familiar with the plane and the pilots in their interviews did mention of PAF flying the planes in China.

Military Strategy

JF-17 Thunder exports estimated at $5 billion
August 11, 2010 in Pakistan
Tags: JF-17 Thunders

Pakistani fighter Catic JF-17 Thunder has been demonstrated at an airshow in Farnborough.

It has attracted the interest of a number of countries including Azerbaijan.
JF-17 Thunder fighter was initially developed by Chinese engineers for the needs of the Pakistani army. First fighters JF-17 Thunder (Chinese FC-1 Saolun) were supplied to the Pakistani armed forces in 2007.

Now the project is entering a new level and the Chinese-Pakistani producers are searching ways to the international market.

Among potential customers who demonstrated interest to the innovation are Azerbaijan, Iran, Egypt, Turkey, Venezuela and a number of other countries.

Earlier, the press spread information about an agreement with Azerbaijan regarding the purchase of at least 24 JF-17 fighters estimated at about $17m each, which envisions the volumes of supply at about $500,000,000.

The JF-17 fighter is 14 m in length, the wing span is 8.5 m and it is equipped with RD-93 engine.

The capacity of the plane is 3720 kg, the battle radius at the fighter version is 1200 km, maximal flight range is 3000 km. It can be equipped with different types of air-air and air-land rockets, as well as air bombs.

:pakistan:

regards

Yeah it still has the smoking engines, but not as much smoky as previous ones.
Sir as we can see the smoky nature of these engines, its quite vulnerable to IR Missiles, and as you said it smokes less. Sir as we already know that china is working at WS-13 which might be having a little more thrust like 100+ KTN that woud be aroung 22500+ pounds of thrust. I want to know 2 things, 1 which I have asked in multiple threads but no 1 answers. In comming years as F-17 will be getting more composites and light materials how much of the weight loss we expect like after using Carbon composites, Kevlar, Glass Composites etc, and adding more potent engine, is their a possibility that JF-17 thunder can Super Cruise ... and 2nd question WS-13 are derieved from RD-33/93 are they going to be smokey as well or not ... and I wanted to know that what will be the Dry Thrust if it is going to have 100+ ktn as in wiki I saw the same specs as RD33/93 ... and at what thrust JFT goes supersonic ...

Sir as we can see the smoky nature of these engines, its quite vulnerable to IR Missiles, and as you said it smokes less. Sir as we already know that china is working at WS-13 which might be having a little more thrust like 100+ KTN that woud be aroung 22500+ pounds of thrust. I want to know 2 things, 1 which I have asked in multiple threads but no 1 answers. In comming years as F-17 will be getting more composites and light materials how much of the weight loss we expect like after using Carbon composites, Kevlar, Glass Composites etc, and adding more potent engine, is their a possibility that JF-17 thunder can Super Cruise ... and 2nd question WS-13 are derieved from RD-33/93 are they going to be smokey as well or not ... and I wanted to know that what will be the Dry Thrust if it is going to have 100+ ktn as in wiki I saw the same specs as RD33/93 ... and at what thrust JFT goes supersonic ...
First of All you need to understand IR seeking missile dont follow the smoke....They follow heat signature....Weather its coming from aircraft, Flare, or some campfire....The smoky nature of engine dont make is more or less vulnerable to IR missiles.....

The 2nd block of JF 17 is suppose to have composites material which will reduce RCS making it stealthy as well the weight which will help to carry more heavy weapons.... But no one really knows how much weight will be reduced.

WS 13 is in testing stage. A report states that JFT flew with WS 13. It could be near. With composite and new engine it might super cruise and It might not. As the engine is in developing stage nothing can be said at this point.

The Dry thrust are likely to be more than current engine. But again the engine is in developing so nothing can be said for sure......

Well the expected weight loss could be 400-600KG with usage of composites. It depends on the quality & weight of the composites which are gonna reduce the normal parts. But the expected reduction can be in between the above figure quoted or may be more.

Yeah, it may super cruise with a limited payload, if composites are used to reduce its weight and a more powerful engine is used. But the super cruise would be of no major use with limited payload, like 2 WVR missiles only or something like that. And it would also depend on other external factors also, like altitude, weather etc etc.

And there are mixed reports about the origin of the WS-13 engine, some say its copy of RD-93, some sources from Chinese says, it may be a mixture of RD-93 tech combined together with their own earlier abandoned project, which was dropped in favor of the WS-10, but later started again once the JF-17 program started or something like that.

So there are mix stories about the origin of WS-13, which we may know only once it comes into production.

And at what thrust and what payload and what conditions, well that we may know much later as nothing is confirmed right now.

Has thunder received the smoky engines ? Saw the black smoke while taking off ?

Yes it indeed it does emit smoke, but nowhere near the earlier versions of the MIG29. The good thing about the RD93 is that it does not emit smoke in all flight conditions, the smoke only appears in certain throttle settings. In this case you can see that the pilot pushes full throttle ahead, that is why the engine was emitting smoke. Besides; other aircrafts such as F16 F15 and Rafale etc emit smoke too, its nothing new.

First of All you need to understand IR seeking missile dont follow the smoke....They follow heat signature....Weather its coming from aircraft, Flare, or some campfire....The smoky nature of engine dont make is more or less vulnerable to IR missiles.....
Thank you sir and yes you are right ... I some how missed it, at first it was in my knowledge but I thought I read it some where about smoke trail following which is wrong ... and an easy example is IRST which have a multicolor IR seeker which makes it more effective and lethal ...

farnboroughinternationa.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom