What's new

PAF JF-17 in Farnborough Air Show 2010

We are thrilled about JF-17 static display, however.......

4.jpg

7.jpg

these pictures are good examples of some rusts you can notice (second picture clearly), I am a bit surprised that it is too early starting rusts/browns dry already on these parts. It must solved immediately. :undecided:

In pic 1, what is that metal-bar pointing out, sideways, from the nose cone? Could that be some kind of tool to open the cone? It looks oddly positioned for it to be a sensor

In pic2, small gaps can be clearly seen between the canopy and frame..is that normal? Is the cockpit pressurized ? if yes, how is it possible?

Can someone post an Individual picture of KG-300G?

Last edited:
In pic 1, what is that metal-bar pointing out, sideways, from the nose cone? Could that be some kind of tool to open the cone? It looks oddly positioned for it to be a sensor

In pic2, small gaps can be clearly seen between the canopy and frame..is that normal? Is the cockpit pressurized ? if yes, how is it possible?

What you see as a gap is quite normal and sits flush. The cockpit is obviously pressurized given the operational altitude of the aircraft.

How flush do you think this is? Although the cockpit is not shut all the way, but the finishing on the JF-17 is better in my opinion than on Tejas.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/35146-1/Cockpit+LCA.jpg
http://www.globalaviationresource.com/bloggar/karldrage/entries/100718/images/7.jpg

To your first question, its the AoA probe.

Last edited:
I came across this on youtube (an oldie) and realized what a journey this has been for the fans of JF-17. Arpatech produced this video right around the time the FC-1 took its first flight. Its a great tribute to all of the efforts that have gone into this program for it to become a reality for the PAF. Its appearance at Farnborough only affirms the fact that perseverance does pay off no matter how insurmountable the challenges look to be. It may be a small step for the world, but it surely is a giant leap for the Pakistani aeronautical industry.

The message at the beginning of the video may be a little too jazbaati, but after going through the sanctions, they have left an indelible mark on the psyche of all of PAF watchers and this aircraft, with all of its limitations, opens up new venues for PAF to explore and ensure that it would be able to come up to Quaid-e-Azam's expectation of the force, when he said "A country without a strong air force is at the mercy of any aggressor, Pakistan must build up its own Air Force as quickly as possible, it must be an efficient Air Force, second to none." (inshallah)

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if "smoke" is really a problem? The entire Russian line up of aircraft which includes Su-30/27 and Mig-29/35 series gives off smoke in certain conditions. I do not believe the smoke is let off during the entire flight, but at certain altitudes and certain conditions, it becomes more visible.

In close in combat this may be an issue, however most of the Russian engines in their past fighters like the Mig-21 had the same issues and they did alright in close in fights.

So it is what it is...the engine is solid, works well and the crews like the response times so I think its a minor issue.

Smoke is a problem, it increases observability both by naked eye and radar. In combat, it reduces the survivability factor of the fighter. Smoke is particularly worrisome because its presence indicates incomplete vaporization and combustion caused by unburned hydrocarbons (fuel). In layperson vernacular, it means low gas mileage - or wasted fuel.
Several studies including one conducted by MIT conclude that smoke is a result of poor atomization of fuel. An example of an atomization is the cologne some spray or atomize before a hot date.

Poor atomization(spraying) results in fuel size distributed droplets (some droplets are larger) and not optimally disbursed in the combustion chamber. Larger droplets cause incomplete combustion and smoke(pollution).

See below image of a fuel nozzle, an array of turning vanes deliver atomized fuel uniformly (size and distribution) to the combustion chamber improving engine performance.
6883332-0-large.jpg

Smoke is a problem, it increases observability both by naked eye and radar. In combat, it reduces the survivability factor of the fighter. Smoke is particularly worrisome because its presence indicates incomplete vaporization and combustion caused by unburned hydrocarbons (fuel). In layperson vernacular, it means low gas mileage - or wasted fuel.
Several studies including one conducted by MIT conclude that smoke is a result of poor atomization of fuel. An example of an atomization is the cologne some spray or atomize before a hot date.

Poor atomization(spraying) results in fuel size distributed droplets (some droplets are larger) and not optimally disbursed in the combustion chamber. Larger droplets cause incomplete combustion and smoke(pollution).

See below image of a fuel nozzle, an array of turning vanes deliver atomized fuel uniformly (size and distribution) to the combustion chamber improving engine performance.
6883332-0-large.jpg

Theories aside, its a problem which Air Forces live and fight with. I have not seen RD-93 smoke in all of the flight profiles so this needs to be looked into some more. Pretty much the entire Russian line up is notorious for smoking, yet it has not had a major impact on the decisions of the buyers.

A couple of years ago, I spoke with an officer involved in the program and he said that one solution is switching the jet fuel type to reduce the smoke. Given that JF-17 still gives off as much smoke as initially, either that idea did not pan out or the PAF did not feel that it was as big of an issue.

6883332-0-large.jpg

exactly thats points for paf officials:agree::pakistan:

What you see as a gap is quite normal and sits flush. The cockpit is obviously pressurized given the operational altitude of the aircraft.

How flush do you think this is? Although the cockpit is not shut all the way, but the finishing on the JF-17 is better in my opinion than on Tejas.
Cockpit+LCA.jpg

7.jpg

To your first question, its the AoA probe.

See the difference :yahoo::pakistan::china:

Theories aside, its a problem which Air Forces live and fight with. I have not seen RD-93 smoke in all of the flight profiles so this needs to be looked into some more. Pretty much the entire Russian line up is notorious for smoking, yet it has not had a major impact on the decisions of the buyers.

A couple of years ago, I spoke with an officer involved in the program and he said that one solution is switching the jet fuel type to reduce the smoke. Given that JF-17 still gives off as much smoke as initially, either that idea did not pan out or the PAF did not feel that it was as big of an issue.

I thought smoking was specific to earlier versions of RD-93? RD-33MK is reported to be smokeless. From what I've read high grade fuel does not alleviate the problem.

If you press full throttel at cold engine, it will smoke.
Point to see is how it performs in various throttel positions and after warming up.

in cold weather when most engines produce white exhaust for a minute or two after first starting. This is because the exhaust gas cools down when it runs through the pipes and muffler. The cool water droplets can freeze rapidly when they hit the outside air, producing a visible cloud of ice crystals. As the pipes heat up, so does the exhaust gas. It still ends up freezing, but over a wider zone because it takes longer for the water drops to cool down, and they're farther from the tailpipe.

i just want to know that if we got any deals for the JF-17?
other than indonesian sir force

Deals should be expected as followup.... when the interested AF will be briefed about a/c in more details and perhaps flight trials and demos.

Ironic is while PAF was out their for selling an advance a/c in competition with other 4th generation fighters...... InAF was out their.... looking for an appropirate trainer a/c for the purpose of learning to fly.

i am just curious to know as i am new to defence pk and i have no such idea abt defence i am in a learning situation last night i was browsing and i went to bk forums and they are all b.s abt our jf17 thunder and they are calling it bander and they are not satified with the engine neither they are satisfied with plane and avionics they are calling it a third class fighter.and they are poatraying there lca as 5gen fighter all the quality work thats is done in typhoon rafel f18 u willl find in one fighter jet that is LCA :P and still it dont fly. i have seen couple of video of lca when ever its fly in the last i have to read this many hrs are complted by the lca i think they wanna break the record in prototype hrs completed by only one plane thats is lca. and in the last i wanna know that how was responce by the people who have seen jft in airshow . thank you All :pakistan:

Back
Top Bottom