What's new

PAF JF-17 in Farnborough Air Show 2010

Now, I have slept and rested after a loong day at the show and can write a little bit more:

1. Concerning the TWR, he said this after I specifically asked about the thrust of the RD-93. I was asking this because I still find it hard that the RD-93 is based on RD-33 Series 1. The pilot then said to me, "What I can tell you is the thrust-to-weight ratio. Do you know what that is?" I said "yes". And he said, the RD-93 will give the plane a TWR of over 1:.1.1." I started asking about the loading conditions (how much fuel and minutions) it will be carrying to come to this figure. He got his attention take away by other ppl and then they had to go and do a TV interview.
  2. They have tested LGBs and are happy, that is why they displayed the MWD-7.
  3. The other pod I was told is for "self-protection". Another visiter said, "ECM, elcronic counter measures", the techinician said "yes". This was at my first visit to the stand when I spoke to a technician. I spoke to the pilot maybe 4 hours later when I visited the second time.
  4. They refused me to go in and look at the infomation boards you see on the photos. The had removed these yesterday, but you could still see them on the grass several feet away.
  5. I asked the pilot and he said they were not flying because they did not get enough notice and time to prepare. He added, "there is a lot of preparation needed". From this, I think the big bosses wanted to show and market the plane, but the technical and engineering ppl felt pressured as they had to come up with flight routines in a short time. I am sure they tried, but at the end they felt they were not comfortable enough and pulled the plug.

Pissibly one of the bussiest static stands I saw. Lots of interest from the public - from ppl like myself who came with the JF-17 in mind, but seemly a few ppl who asked the plane name's and who made it, etc.

They fly out either Monday or Tuesday, he was not sure.

The pilot was asked about the "generation of the jamming pod". He refused to give an answer mention "generation". He said something to the effect that "he did not understand/or it was senseless to talk about generations". I believe what he meant was, "your 3rd generation might be my second generation", so an answer would be misleading.

Somebody asked about range and the techinician answered the a Parkistani language, :cry::cry: . Later on the pilot said they are working on in-flight refuelling. There will be a probe to the right of the cockpit. I believe he said once they have finished engineering that, it will be fitting even on that planes that are now flying!

It was not always easy to ask for clarification because he was attending to many ppl and some questions would have been asked by other specitators.

Here is another BIG one - I asked the technician, but I realise I should have asked the pilot. I asked if one JF-17 can send what is seeing on its radar to another JF-17, and he said yes!. I am now beating myself for forgetting to ask the pilot. I however know the Gripen has had this capability for over a decade - it would not be unimaginable that the JF-17 cannot it.

The pilot was asked by somebody else to compare the plane to the F-16. He said "the avionics are better that the F-16s I used to fly."

Now, going back to internet rumours vs what officials said/are saying. I believe that the issues on the radar or SD-10 or LGBs is that they might still be fine tunning, i.e. they are 80% or 98% there and are still tweeking, which should be expected, but they definately are nowhere near throwing them out!

Last edited:
If a fighter aircraft has thrust to weight ratio 1:1.1 or more than 1 it means it can go up with 90 degree angle like F-16 but still nothing is like this as in video of flypast of March 23rd 2007.

I don't think it is about going up verticaly (90 degrees), I think it is about accelerating vertically! I believe most fast jets can go verticall using the momentum they gather in horizontal flight, then quickly loose speed as soon as they point their nose upwards. I would have wanted to here more on the loding conditions, unfortunately that did not happen.

Last edited:
I don't think it is about going up verticaly (90 degrees), I think it is about accelerating vertically! I believe most fast jets can go verticall using the momentum they gather in horizontal flight, then quickly loose speed.

That is correct.
If thrust to weight ratio is 1, means the thrust = weight.
In a vertical scenario that is theoretically enough to keep the A/C standing there.
To accelerate vertically u need more that the weight.

If what i have heard is accurate and PAF incorporates all specified parameters that they deem to integrate in blk 2, then It should be on par with Gripen NG. The reason to say this is because at the moment, JFT has all the accessories that Gripen C had in early 2000s except the amazing Swedish datalink that JFT lacks off course

I would see this with careful scrutiny.
Grippen's designer made the air craft to service under soviet air attack.
The air craft was designed to take of and land on short ill prepared tracks.
The air craft was designed to be very easy and quick to service, pulling an engine out and slapping another one is is a jiffy.

Those are the qualities that we should be aiming for, in face of an Indian onslaught.
but then to incorporate those features means designing a new machine from scratch.

Now about the datalink, although I know for a fact that the technology is present with PA, and they have been using it for a 7 years now; I am not sure if it is fully operational in the aircraft.

As Tempest has mentioned; he did hear that the air craft can exchange radar / target data etc; so I would suspect it is there.

I can not be certain as I am out of touch with my live sources.

Best Regards
:pakistan:

Now about the datalink, although I know for a fact that the technology is present with PA, and they have been using it for a 7 years now; I am not sure if it is fully operational in the aircraft.

As Tempest has mentioned; he did hear that the air craft can exchange radar / target data etc; so I would suspect it is there.

Thinking again on the answer the guy gave me, he sai, "Yes in can. It is very fast". Thinking now why he added the sentence, "It is very fast", I believe he meant the data transfer rate since this require large quantity of data per second including sending video information.

I wish I had written down the questions ahead of time and I would have done a better job of asking.

I spoke to one of the pilots too. He is only 31, been flying for 10 years. was flying the F-16 A/B before.

The big news he told me was: THE RD-93 DOES GIVE THE JF-17 A THRUST TO WEIGHT RATIO OF OVER 1:1.1!

The SD-10A works fine and been tested in Pakistan. Will right more tomorrow.

Yep that's correct, I was standing next to you as I definitely overhead the pilot answering this question.
:tup:

Which of the two pilots you talk with? I am asking because one of them I know personally.

The badge on him said 'HUSSAIN', sorry didn't get his full name. I have a photo of him I can upload if you want.

LOVED IT!
Those who did not go their have missed one of the best moment in their life.
Crowds turned out to be massive, and good to know a lot of pakistanis were their as well.
Basically its very hard to do everything their in a single day. You either watch the airshow by the fence or lose spot and go for static display.
I managed to watch 4 1/2 hours of air show and oh boyyyy! The f-16 beauty performance was just stunning! Specially when you are on the front and You could feel the bang on your chest during take offs.
You have to see it and its 100x better then any HD jet videos on youtube.
Got some time to touch the thunder! Lol... talked to the pilot and ground crew but sadly they were not being so informative. Asked them if the french deal still on.. he said yes it is... and told me don't listen to rumors on internet..
Btw got to peak in the inlet from front and the engine blades are entirely hiden.

Now, I have slept and rested after a loong day at the show and can write a little bit more:

1. Concerning the TWR, he said this after I specifically asked about the thrust of the RD-93. I was asking this because I still find it hard that the RD-93 is based on RD-33 Series 1. The pilot then said to me, "What I can tell you is the thrust-to-weight ratio. Do you know what that is?" I said "yes". And he said, the RD-93 will give the plane a TWR of over 1:.1.1." I started asking about the loading conditions (how much fuel and minutions) it will be carrying to come to this figure. He got his attention take away by other ppl and then they had to go and do a TV interview.
  2. They have tested LGBs and are happy, that is why they displayed the MWD-7.
  3. The other pod I was told is for "self-protection". Another visiter said, "ECM, elcronic counter measures", the techinician said "yes". This was at my first visit to the stand when I spoke to a technician. I spoke to the pilot maybe 4 hours later when I visited the second time.
  4. They refused me to go in and look at the infomation boards you see on the photos. The had removed these yesterday, but you could still see them on the grass several feet away.
  5. I asked the pilot and he said they were not flying because they did not get enough notice and time to prepare. He added, "there is a lot of preparation needed". From this, I think the big bosses wanted to show and market the plane, but the technical and engineering ppl felt pressured as they had to come up with flight routines in a short time. I am sure they tried, but at the end they felt they were not comfortable enough and pulled the plug.

Pissibly one of the bussiest static stands I saw. Lots of interest from the public - from ppl like myself who came with the JF-17 in mind, but seemly a few ppl who asked the plane name's and who made it, etc.

They fly out either Monday or Tuesday, he was not sure.

The pilot was asked about the "generation of the jamming pod". He refused to give an answer mention "generation". He said something to the effect that "he did not understand/or it was senseless to talk about generations". I believe what he meant was, "your 3rd generation might be my second generation", so an answer would be misleading.

Somebody asked about range and the techinician answered the a Parkistani language, :cry::cry: . Later on the pilot said they are working on in-flight refuelling. There will be a probe to the right of the cockpit. I believe he said once they have finished engineering that, it will be fitting even on that planes that are now flying!

It was not always easy to ask for clarification because he was attending to many ppl and some questions would have been asked by other specitators.

Here is another BIG one - I asked the technician, but I realise I should have asked the pilot. I asked if one JF-17 can send what is seeing on its radar to another JF-17, and he said yes!. I am now beating myself for forgetting to ask the pilot. I however know the Gripen has had this capability for over a decade - it would not be unimaginable that the JF-17 cannot it.

The pilot was asked by somebody else to compare the plane to the F-16. He said "the avionics are better that the F-16s I used to fly."

Now, going back to internet rumours vs what officials said/are saying. I believe that the issues on the radar or SD-10 or LGBs is that they might still be fine tunning, i.e. they are 80% or 98% there and are still tweeking, which should be expected, but they definately are nowhere near throwing them out!

Good post. I always belive pilots and technicians word rather than manufacturer or their chief.

It good for Pakistan that their pilots feels it's avionics are better than f-16.

Best of luck:)

To, Salman bro,

The air craft was designed to take of and land on short ill prepared tracks.

JFT is also designed to take off and land on short strips as also mentioned by PAF personnel...

The air craft was designed to be very easy and quick to service, pulling an engine out and slapping another one is is a jiffy.

Last i checked, JFT is proving to be easier to maintain that our technicians thought. For reference, watch the KSA tv report on youtube.

Those are the qualities that we should be aiming for, in face of an Indian onslaught but then to incorporate those features means designing a new machine from scratch.

The plug and play concept means that you put in things of your liking and make the machine better and better, remember the plug and play philosophy. You can also confirm through your sources that JFT airframe is designed to accommodate four engines and has enough room for engine replacement. Chinese and Pakistani are not fools as to rely on Russian engine throughout JFTs life cycle for and good reason.

The tech is there in the army, I agree but PAF only got this tech with the induction of SAAB 2000. I don't say we lacked in datalinking tech as we even use it on our UAVs but the level of sophistication is not the same.

Tempest has broken some great news for sure so hats off to him.

LOVED IT!
Crowds turned out to be massive, and good to know a lot of pakistanis were their as well.
Basically its very hard to do everything their in a single day. You either watch the airshow by the fence or lose spot and go for static display.
I managed to watch 4 1/2 hours of air show and oh boyyyy! The f-16 beauty performance was just stunning! Specially when you are on the front and You could feel the bang on your chest during take offs.
Got some time to touch the thunder! Lol... talked to the pilot and ground crew but sadly they were not being so informative. Asked them if the french deal still on.. he said yes it is... and told me don't listen to rumors on internet..
Btw got to peak in the inlet from front and the engine blades are entirely hiden.

You made big lust in my heart to attend a big air shows . But unfortunately i no way there :cry: hoping one day i attend big air shows in banglore

I don't think it is about going up verticaly (90 degrees), I think it is about accelerating vertically! I believe most fast jets can go verticall using the momentum they gather in horizontal flight, then quickly loose speed as soon as they point their nose upwards. I would have wanted to here more on the loding conditions, unfortunately that did not happen.

Very well said bro, and this is the reason why JFT is able to out turn the f-16s in dog fight practice runs more than twice ! It has a very fast ITR or instantaneous turn rate that f-16 struggled to manage. I think this could be because of a quad FBW with a faster CPUs (more calculations per second than the f-16 fbw cpu), lighter airframe and extended LERXs and pilot skills.

new images
1747634.jpg

1747699.jpg

Photographer's comments:
I had to wait 15 minutes to get a clear photo. But one of the stars of the show just had to be photographed

Last edited:
LOVED IT!

Waiting for JFT pictures :angel::angel:

Back
Top Bottom