What's new

PAF jet makes emergency landing

its been upgraded in recent times to handle fixed wing a/c including jets. in the late 60s/early 70s it was a sleepy army aviation AB as L-19s and light helo's used to operate from this AB. i studied at St'Marys academy and the AB was right behind our school. lunch-break was a lot of fun watching these a/c come and go.

I completely forgot about the extended patch. When I recently visited Dhamayal, we didn't go quite far from the main hangars because the in the middle of a summer day, you can't go wandering around on the base near the runway.

AND you're also right about the Fixed winged Aircrafts. They're operating from dhamayal. In fact, I took a couple of pictures of those and they're in the gallery.

I was travelling on a highway when I saw this F-7 land on Dhamiyal. At first I thought it was part of plan to test the runway there so that jets might land in case of need. Later on I learnt that the plane had developed problem and pilot landed there. However seeing the landing I must say that the pilot was very skilfull and handled the machine profesionally.
Dhamiyal though small is still capable of taking on jets and COAS plane fly's from their every now and then.

IMO it was a superb display of handling in landing a fighter that too in an Emergency at an airfield that is otherwise considered unsuitable for the fighter operations. The runway length of a usual PAF airfield is atleast 9000 feet, whereas Qasim base has less than 7000 feet of usable airfield length.

A fighter aircraft also needs much more length as compared to fixed wing VIP aircraft or aircrafts of similar class that generally have hydraulic brakes. The pneumatic brakes of F-7P must have made it more difficult to land at such a short length. Good that drag chute also worked, other wise with no over run barrier facility at Qasim, it could have easily turned into a disaster….

x-man do you know if any of PAF's current or future combat aircraft are fitted with carbon-ceramic brakes? I think Gripen is equipped with these and they help reduce landing distance a lot. These are also used in very high performance sports cars (very very expensive ones) and racing cars.

I was travelling on a highway when I saw this F-7 land on Dhamiyal. At first I thought it was part of plan to test the runway there so that jets might land in case of need. Later on I learnt that the plane had developed problem and pilot landed there. However seeing the landing I must say that the pilot was very skilfull and handled the machine profesionally.
Dhamiyal though small is still capable of taking on jets and COAS plane fly's from their every now and then.

I think you are mixing up two things....

14 Sqn F-7s are posted in Chaklala(which has a Transport and Vip aircraft) just like Nuclear ADA of 1998.The emergency landing is made on Dhmyal AirBase(aka Qasim Air Base).It has no highway near it. The landing you have seen is at Chaklala AirBase:cheers:

Good to hear about a safe landing after a serious inflight emergency.As far as i know pilots have knowledge of landing strips and Airbases in the area...its a part of their flight plan.

There is a landing strip made be RAF in Basal,Attock.It was used by RAF in early WW2.The strip is now used by locals as a cricket/football ground,but still today Govt of Pakistan has placed a security guard at the strip...just to make sure nobody takes hold of it(probably to avoid Kabbza group).There was some very old RAF hangers there 3decades ago,but right now there is nothing around the strip.

The same landing strip can be used by in case of serious in-flight emergency as it is almost 3km long;)

I think you are mixing up two things....

14 Sqn F-7s are posted in Chaklala(which has a Transport and Vip aircraft) just like Nuclear ADA of 1998.The emergency landing is made on Dhmyal AirBase(aka Qasim Air Base).It has no highway near it. The landing you have seen is at Chaklala AirBase:cheers:

No the landing I saw was at Dhamiyal not at Chaklala. I can never mistake Chaklala with Dhamiyal. The highway doesn't need to be near Dhamiyal and I never said that. I said I was on a highway and if one is on highway and knows the air route to Chaklala and Dhamiyal then he or she can not mistake a landing at Chaklala with the one at Dhamiyal.

By the way Chaklala does not operate fighters during peace times. PAF only places fighters there during emergencies and now a days F-7 operate from their.

x-man do you know if any of PAF's current or future combat aircraft are fitted with carbon-ceramic brakes.

Not as far as I know. :disagree: Mostly have normal disc brakes that are either hydraulically or pneumatically operated…

There is a landing strip made be RAF in Basal,Attock.It was used by RAF in early WW2.The strip is now used by locals as a cricket/football ground,but still today Govt of Pakistan has placed a security guard at the strip...

The same landing strip can be used by in case of serious in-flight emergency as it is almost 3km long;)

Basal is an unprepared airfield with pot holes as big as a normal size room. Its totally unsuitable for any jet landing…I did rather eject than attept a landing at Basal and turn the aircraft turtle at 400 KMs….Not a great feeling I guess…:smokin:

No the landing I saw was at Dhamiyal not at Chaklala. I can never mistake Chaklala with Dhamiyal. The highway doesn't need to be near Dhamiyal and I never said that. I said I was on a highway and if one is on highway and knows the air route to Chaklala and Dhamiyal then he or she can not mistake a landing at Chaklala with the one at Dhamiyal.

Sorry i misunderstood what you said.

By the way Chaklala does not operate fighters during peace times. PAF only places fighters there during emergencies and now a days F-7 operate from their.

Yes i agree with you,Chaklala is not a fighter base...in Nuclear Air Defence Alert 98 and Operation Sentinel in 2002 F-7s were deployed to Chaklala Air base.:cheers:

Basal is an unprepared airfield with pot holes as big as a normal size room. Its totally unsuitable for any jet landing…I did rather eject than attept a landing at Basal and turn the aircraft turtle at 400 KMs….Not a great feeling I guess…:smokin:

Yes i agree that the current situation of the runway is very poor,but i think after making International airport at Fatejhang Govt can take a look at basal strip in future too.

Good job by pilot! no wonder we are second to none Good bless PAF and Pakistan.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom