What's new

PAF Exercise High Mark - 2010

Can the IL-78 refuel the fighter jets at night as well , i mean isn't the visual contact is neceassry for the pilot, Night vision googles can help the pilot,but i have never seen any Image or footage of refueling during night.......so just a bit curious.:what:

Because this image is Photo Shoped. The total length of the IL-78 is 46.59 m (152 ft 10 in) whereas Mirage III is 15 m (49 ft 3.5 in) long. So if three Mirages line up, they'll make up the total length of a single IL-78. However, in this picture, the Mirages are smaller than 1/3rd even though the IL-78 and the Mirage III in the near the front are almost in the line.

Great work Columbo.

Can the IL-78 refuel the fighter jets at night as well , i mean isn't the visual contact is neceassry for the pilot, Night vision googles can help the pilot,but i have never seen any Image or footage of refueling during night.......so just a bit curious.
The KC-135's boom is fitted with lights, which, the pilot uses as a visual reference to position his aircraft to engage the boom during the night refueling operations. I do not know if the IL-78's drogue is or can be equipped with lights for the same purpose.

EADS’ advanced aerial refueling boom system performs nighttime contacts with NATO F-16

Arlington, Virginia, July 08, 2009

The EADS advanced aerial refueling boom system (ARBS) – featured on Northrop Grumman’s KC-45 offering for the U.S. Air Force – has demonstrated its superior nighttime operational capabilities during a multi-contact mission with an F-16 fighter aircraft.

This validation confirmed the performance of the boom’s state-of-the-art enhanced vision system – which features laser infrared lighting and high-definition digital stereoscopic viewing – and was carried out as part of the final qualification phase for the EADS A330 Multi-Role Tanker Transport (MRTT), on which the Northrop Grumman KC-45 is based.

The night mission was completed with the boom system installed on EADS’ A310 testbed aircraft, and involved a Portuguese Air Force F-16AM as the receiver. After approach maneuvers for calibration of illumination, the boom made 17 contacts with the F-16 fighter.

“Nighttime missions are a vital part of aerial refueling operations for the U.S. Air Force, and the ARBS has once again shown its maturity with this latest validation of the enhanced vision system in realistic conditions,” said Ralph D. Crosby, Jr., EADS North America’s Chairman and CEO.

To date, the EADS boom system has performed more than 400 contacts with receiver aircraft that range from the F-16 to the E-3F AWACS and Australian KC-30A MRTT. Follow on activities will include additional boom and hose-and-drogue contacts with a variety of small and large receiver aircraft from the French, Portuguese, and Spanish air forces.

Continued ARBS flight testing – along with final validations of the optimized Cobham 905E hose and drogue refueling pods – will lead to military certification of the A330 MRTT platform. In June, an A330 MRTT built for the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) demonstrated successful hose-and-drogue contacts with an F/A-18 receiver aircraft.

The A330 MRTT has been selected by the air forces of Australia, the United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

Deliveries of the A330 MRTT will begin next year, with Australia’s Air Force becoming the first military service to receive the aircraft.

Source: http://www.eadsnorthamerica.com/102...eases/2009_07_08_arbs_nighttime_contacts.html

Last edited:
Maybe I am wrong but this photo looks Photo Shopped to me. The two Mirages are identical twins from one end to the other. The angle with which light is falling (as reflected by the shadow of the wings on the IL-78) is also different on the Mirages as judged by the shadow of the wing on their external fuel tanks.

Your reason about the length of the IL-78 relative to Mirage -iii looks good ,but if you magnify image and look closely at refueling knob the level of versus the whorl is different in the two jets, plus there also slight difference in the helmet (as far as i noted) of the two pilots as well.:rolleyes:

Your reason about the length of the IL-78 relative to Mirage -iii looks good ,but if you magnify image and look closely at refueling knob the level of versus the whorl is different in the two jets, plus there also slight difference in the helmet (as far as i noted) of the two pilots as well.:rolleyes:
As I started my statement 'I may be wrong', Stealth, who is a graphic professional appears to agree with my observation especially based on the angle of light and resulting shadows on the fuselage and the tanks.

As I started my statement 'I may be wrong', Stealth, who is a graphic professional appears to agree with my observation especially based on the angle of light and resulting shadows on the fuselage and the tanks.
Actually i agree with you on the length issue.

Then it's APP :hitwall::hitwall:....they don't deserve any repect if they have really done this.Well i can't believe my eyes:cheesy:

Photo Description

PAF Il-78 conducts first air-to-air refuelling mission during High Mark 2010
March 21, 2010

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Air Force conducts its first air-to-air refuelling aircraft during an ongoing air exercise, with officials describing the event as a "milestone" in the enhancement of the force's capabilities.

The Il-78 air-to-air refuelling aircraft, which was inducted into the PAF in December last year, took active part in the High Mark 2010 exercise and refuelled two fighter jets, officials said. Pakistan is expecting the delivery of three more refuelling aircraft by June.

"By virtue of its ability to refuel air defence aircraft in the air, PAF's overall capability in terms of its effectiveness to defend the airspace...has significantly enhanced," the official said.

The High Mark exercise, which began a week ago, has been tailored to include manoeuvres with the army and navy to enhance the ability to conduct joint operations by the three services, officials said.

The exercise covers the entire country, from Skardu in the north to the Arabian Sea in the south.

High Mark is also aimed at conducting operations in a "near-realistic tactical environment" while integrating new weapon systems and providing "role-oriented training to combat and support elements of the PAF and other services".

"It is designed to achieve stipulated objectives with special emphasis on exposing PAF combat crew to simulated air battles based on contemporary concepts," an official said.

All main operating bases for peace time and war-time forward operating bases are participating in the ongoing exercise.

Newly inducted aircraft like the JF-17 Thunder combat jets and Saab-2000 airborne warning and control aircraft are participating in the exercise for the first time.

Well you are right after read your previous i save that image on my desktop and opened in photoshop CS4.

Watch closely...

more closely...

more and more closely....

Yes you are right above picture is photoshoped and how ?

IMO mirage (behind one is fake) IL78 refueling near one. Behind (back Mirage) is Fake!

Because this image is Photo Shoped. The total length of the IL-78 is 46.59 m (152 ft 10 in) whereas Mirage III is 15 m (49 ft 3.5 in) long. So if three Mirages line up, they'll make up the total length of a single IL-78. However, in this picture, the Mirages are smaller than 1/3rd even though the IL-78 and the Mirage III in the near the front are almost in the line.

You are misleading the public. :)

first of all, the smaller mirage is not being refueled by the prob attached to the rear of IL fuselage but on the other side of the wing.
Perhaps a photo deceptive for many?

289f668ff8fbcec046b25595eb20f2d8.jpg

Su-30 length is 72 feet meaning 2.08 times the length of IL but in this photo the MKI looks bigger. So is this Photo a PS as well? lol

Back
Top Bottom