What's new

PAF Air Refueling Capability

I was mixing Re-Arming mid air and Armed Craft for Refueling but the above mentioned Questiones was in my mind because of this->
Whereas aerial refueling increases the range of an aircraft almost indefinitely, bombers still must return to base for rearming as they are limited in the amount of weapons they carry. However, when the target is situated hundreds of miles away from a friendly base, precious time and resources are lost on flights to base for rearming. Furthermore, in some cases the political situation precludes the use of friendly military bases near the operating theater.

To resolve these problems, the Israeli company Far Technologies developed the Airborne Rearming System (ABRA; currently patent pending) in conjunction with the Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI) engineering group that conducted preliminary system design. The ABRA concept is similar in many respects to airborne refueling, with a number of notable modifications. Far Technologies' system comprises a rearming plane (a C-130, C-130c, C-17, or even a C-5) with an internal bomb storage area and loading device consisting of a large aft door with a modified remote-driven robotic arm (boom) equipped with a day-night camera as well as sensors, and, on the attack aircraft, a special smart pylon to receive the arms from the boom. Each C-130c would be able to carry a payload of up to sixteen 2,000 lb (907 kg) bombs (such as an MK-84), while larger aircraft would easily be able to rearm a full squadron of planes. (A C-17 could potentially carry up to seventy MK-84s and a C-5, around 100.)
http://www.tfot.info/content/view/81...80f2c96c1fd1b7

This is a surprising concept, surprising because no one has come up with it before. I like the idea, and trust the Israelis to come up with something novel and useful, my question is, how likely is this to work. The weight of the robotics would be big enough, let alone the munitions. Besides the obvious danger to both the crew flying the reloader and the Fighter, which is the same for air re-fuelers, would the risk be worth it?
Either way, kool idea

All the bold one i read in an other forum:undecided:

sir jee CAP missions and other patrolling missions need mid air refueling very badly at war time re arming need less then refueling because they never storm with there weapons blindly sir .they use weapons when its needed but fuel start using when jets still on taxiway . fuel is life and we increase the life a jf-17 can carry 11 bombs or missiles if we use multi hard points and finish of 11 weapons is not so easy .

I was mixing Re-Arming mid air and Armed Craft for Refueling but the above mentioned Questiones was in my mind because of this->
Whereas aerial refueling increases the range of an aircraft almost indefinitely, bombers still must return to base for rearming as they are limited in the amount of weapons they carry. However, when the target is situated hundreds of miles away from a friendly base, precious time and resources are lost on flights to base for rearming. Furthermore, in some cases the political situation precludes the use of friendly military bases near the operating theater.

To resolve these problems, the Israeli company Far Technologies developed the Airborne Rearming System (ABRA; currently patent pending) in conjunction with the Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI) engineering group that conducted preliminary system design. The ABRA concept is similar in many respects to airborne refueling, with a number of notable modifications. Far Technologies' system comprises a rearming plane (a C-130, C-130c, C-17, or even a C-5) with an internal bomb storage area and loading device consisting of a large aft door with a modified remote-driven robotic arm (boom) equipped with a day-night camera as well as sensors, and, on the attack aircraft, a special smart pylon to receive the arms from the boom. Each C-130c would be able to carry a payload of up to sixteen 2,000 lb (907 kg) bombs (such as an MK-84), while larger aircraft would easily be able to rearm a full squadron of planes. (A C-17 could potentially carry up to seventy MK-84s and a C-5, around 100.)
http://www.tfot.info/content/view/81...80f2c96c1fd1b7

This is a surprising concept, surprising because no one has come up with it before. I like the idea, and trust the Israelis to come up with something novel and useful, my question is, how likely is this to work. The weight of the robotics would be big enough, let alone the munitions. Besides the obvious danger to both the crew flying the reloader and the Fighter, which is the same for air re-fuelers, would the risk be worth it?
Either way, kool idea

All the bold one i read in an other forum:undecided:

Yaar i didn't know you were new here don't mind it i didn't mean in it in any harsh or wrong way :) ask anything as you feel hell.. iam still learning and i been here since 2006 enjoy your stay bhai and feel free to ask anything ;)

Hi,

The pilot can only fly for so long------he is not a robot.

The primary role of he refueller is for the strike aircraft or bomber take off with maximum weapons load and least amount of fuel---once in air the fuel is topped off----then the planes can be refuelled after running initial cap missions or returning from strike missions if they are low on fuel.

When you take off without a refueller at your service---you carry lesser weapons load and full tank of fuel----.

i read some where that we still have a option of 1 more il-78 i think we get that

I was thinking Can Air Refueller tanker refuel each other? I mean Since Our tankers are multi role, So two PAF Ilushyen 78 take off, one fully loaded with Fuel and other one flew with maximum load and less fuel, So second tanker can be refueled in mid air?

I'm asking this because i haven't seen any refueling probe to refuel the airplane itself with Our refueling assets. Any one can throw light on this

if they install with refeuling pods yes they can as C-17 c-130 can be refuel mid air

if they install with refeuling pods yes they can as C-17 c-130 can be refuel mid air

Imran bhai there is doubt. C-130, C-17 kay agay danda laga howa hay na for refuelleing? have you seen that danda anywhere on our II-76?

Imran bhai there is doubt. C-130, C-17 kay agay danda laga howa hay na for refuelleing? have you seen that danda anywhere on our II-76?

It is called a refuelling probe,by the way we don't have il-76 rather we have il-78MP ...a Pakistani specific version....Our il-78s dont have refuelling probe so cant be refuelled mid air .though the facility can be installed when required but there is no need for that because they already have a range of 7300km with 210,000 kg of weight

It is called a refuelling probe,by the way we don't have il-76 rather we have il-78MP ...a Pakistani specific version....Our il-78s dont have refuelling probe so cant be refuelled mid air .though the facility can be installed when required but there is no need for that because they already have a range of 7300km with 210,000 kg of weight

Correction please.

Pakistani/Indian IL-78Ms have refueling drogue i.e. Probe-&-Drogue refueling apparatus. The "Danda" as you put it, used by USA's KC135/KC10 to refuel F16/F15/F22/SR71 and most american fighters is called Refueling Boom.

Regards,
Hassan

bDM6C.jpg
703zB.jpg

idk but PAF should've gone for a smaller aitcraft instead of IL-78
arent these quite expensive to operate?

we know it since 30 years they are waiting lolz let them wait and go out of service thirsty :D

As we are not increasing F-16 numbers, So its not necessary to spend some extra on another Refueling platform.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom