What's new

PAF Air Refueling Capability

Probably the Forth IL-78MP undergoing flight test at Nikolaev - (UKOR)

Serial No - 88279OBT (tail)

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Probably the Forth IL-78MP undergoing flight test at Nikolaev - (UKOR)

Serial No - 88279OBT (tail)

0000054246_large.jpeg

Another Picture of Fourth IL-78MP at Nikolaev - Kulbakino Ukraine

405827979.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
could be. no PAF markings but the color scheme is the same!

No sir, its Confirmed.
All the pictures and videos i posted above are titled as Pakistan Air Force IL-78MP and the last IL-78 we received R10-002 was also flying without any marking in Ukraine but during stay in Germany prior to delivery, it was seen wearing PAF markings

In Ukraine (see Three white spots on tail)
4844306936_2db4ded792_b_d.jpg

In Germany (see same three white spots on tail with PAF marking and serial)
75483126.jpg

Hi, I'm a new member from Turkey.

Thank you for good topic and share.

I have a question about the aerial refueling director in the tail gunner position. I can't actually understand why there is need for such a director for probe/drogue refueling. If I'm not wrong, the hose in the refueling pod is released by a switch in the flight deck by the flight engineer. After the drogue stabilizes in the air, the receiver aircraft pilot tries to engage his probe to tankers drogue. Also, there are pilot director lights (traffic lights, green yellow red) on the rear of the pod to communicate with pilots of receiver aircraft. And the receiver pilot can aslo communicate with the tanker by radio. Besides that, under the tail gunner position (director position) there are two periscopes that can be seen on the pics for director to see the HDU (hose drogue unit).
I would be appreciate if there is someone to explain me why all these are needed.

Regards..

@ danger Zone
Thanks for posting so many nice pics and videos . But did we recieve all of the four aircrafts yet or we still waiting for some of them???:smokin:

@ danger Zone
Thanks for posting so many nice pics and videos . But did we recieve all of the four aircrafts yet or we still waiting for some of them???:smokin:

We have seen three Tankers so far 001, 002 & 004 (Serial No - 88279OBT).
it was reported in early 2011 that third IL-78mp has been received by PAF but non of its picture surfaced.
Those pictures and video in first post are of Fourth IL78MP of PAF which surfaced in August and now we have received according to news.
but 003 is still a mystery, i guess PAF is modifying that bird for Boom Refuelling or something else secret thats why no picture and no sighting over any other country or any other airport like we see 001 - 2 actively visiting diff countries for transportation purpose.

it was reported in early 2011 that third IL-78mp has been received by PAF but non of its picture surfaced.
Those pictures and video in first post are of Fourth IL78MP of PAF which surfaced in August and now we have received according to news.
but 003 is still a mystery, i guess PAF is modifying that bird for Boom Refuelling or something else secret thats why no picture and no sighting over any other country or any other airport like we see 001 - 2 actively visiting diff countries for transportation purpose.
Oh! okay this means we did recieve all four of them then...um great to hear that....:)

Hi, I'm a new member from Turkey.

Thank you for good topic and share.

I have a question about the aerial refueling director in the tail gunner position. I can't actually understand why there is need for such a director for probe/drogue refueling. If I'm not wrong, the hose in the refueling pod is released by a switch in the flight deck by the flight engineer. After the drogue stabilizes in the air, the receiver aircraft pilot tries to engage his probe to tankers drogue. Also, there are pilot director lights (traffic lights, green yellow red) on the rear of the pod to communicate with pilots of receiver aircraft. And the receiver pilot can aslo communicate with the tanker by radio. Besides that, under the tail gunner position (director position) there are two periscopes that can be seen on the pics for director to see the HDU (hose drogue unit).
I would be appreciate if there is someone to explain me why all these are needed.

Regards..

these aircrafts were made during cold war, they are fairly old..
thats why the gunner position is still there and to answer the question, i dont think that there would be any "director" sitting in that gunner position to guide the reciever, because like you said, there is no need for one!
that small gunner compartment is there because they cant remove it..

nifi6.jpg

PAF il78 NO.003 has ever landed at chengdu airport, recently.

Back
Top Bottom