What's new

PAF Air Refueling Capability

Maybe an amateur question but why aren't the Thunders flown to Pakistan instead of being shipped?

+ I want aware the IL-78 could be used for transport aswell, but in this configuration can it still be used as a ariel refueller? Again, apologises if this is an amateur question.
They arent transporting complete aircraft. The producion line is in Pakistan not in China. So the parts which are made in China have to be transported over to Kamra for the production, where the remainder of the parts are also manufactured. That is my take on it... dont know if the Chinese have started a production line of their own.

IL-78 can indeed be used as a transporter or a refueler. But not both at the same time due to the refueling pod and fuel tank which take space. The refueling pod and fuel tank installed on it can be easily taken out and then the aircraft can be used as a normal transport plane.

One of the refueling pods used on the IL-78:

day03_033.jpg

Maybe an amateur question but why aren't the Thunders flown to Pakistan instead of being shipped?

+ I want aware the IL-78 could be used for transport aswell, but in this configuration can it still be used as a ariel refueller? Again, apologises if this is an amateur question.

Shipment takes alot of time and is not cost worthy in case of Pakistan's case. Karachi sea port is 1500km+ far from Kamra, even if they arrive via shipment we would need C-130s or containers(not a good idea in current security situation) to transfer to PAC.

IL78 carries more load and travels very fast as compare to C130, its very much efficient for such a mission.

Only IL-78M versions can be used as as both transport and refueler at same time. Because of structural changes in its design, it can carry more fuel as compare to its previous variants.

Guys Guys, See Both Refuellers / Transporters are their (001 - 002). At least 4 to 6 Thunders are coming or could be more. delivery of 50 aircrafts is in process :tup:

Its not confirmed yet... looks true though!

Earlier An124s have brought two a/c each till mid of 2009. These a/c were assembled at PAC, i have witnessed a similar An124 at Kamra in mid2009 along with JF-17's fuselage being taken out.

Its not confirmed yet... looks true though!

Earlier An124s have brought two a/c each till mid of 2009. These a/c were assembled at PAC, i have witnessed a similar An124 at Kamra in mid2009 along with JF-17's fuselage being taken out.

As the news Stated, "China will provide 50 JF-17 on urgent bases", they might have activated their production line as well. For example, if we would receive 1 aircraft from China and produce 1 at home. That's how, we can have 2 aircraft in the same duration of time where PAC could produce only one. i see no other way for producing 50 air crafts urgently other then this procedure. PAC is not that mature to handle such a large production in limited time. thats why both Transporters are there to pick up unassembled JF-17.

Second at that time PAF does not have heavy transporter. they must have rented those An-124 for delivery. Blue lined and white body An-124 are Contractual transporters, mostly.

As the news Stated, "China will provide 50 JF-17 on urgent bases", they might have activated their production line as well. For example, if we would receive 1 aircraft from China and produce 1 at home. That's how, we can have 2 aircraft in the same duration of time where PAC could produce only one. i see no other way for producing 50 air crafts urgently other then this procedure. PAC is not that mature to handle such a large production in limited time. thats why both Transporters are there to pick up unassembled JF-17.

All this seems good if Block-II is in production line , these 50 a/c will be BlockII which is still in progress, IMO we are not going to see any BlockII in next 4 months. Bk-II will be made & evaluated at CAC, then after 2-3 months of testing an example will be handed over to PAC for their evaluation.
So, we are still 6-7months behind the Bk-II's delivery by any such IL-78.

Second at that time PAF does not have heavy transporter. they must have rented those An-124 for delivery. Blue lined and white body An-124 are Contractual transporters, mostly.
Yes, it was a rented a/c. The first delivery was at Chaklala, rest were at Kamra.

Hello,

I am new member. & I am from USA.
My name is Arden
Great Photo great data i like it Thanks for sharing

Hello,

I am new member. & I am from USA.
My name is Arden
Great Photo great data i like it Thanks for sharing

Arden welcome here .

But you should introduce yourself first in introduction section

Probably the Forth IL-78MP undergoing flight test at Nikolaev - (UKOR)

Serial No - 88279OBT (tail)

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Probably the Forth IL-78MP undergoing flight test at Nikolaev - (UKOR)

Serial No - 88279OBT (tail)

0000054246_large.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
whi sits in the front bottom post of the aircraft? Where there are alot of windows. Previously there was a ?navigator? there?

Back
Top Bottom