Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Padma bridge by 2018: PM -
bdnews24.com

Padma bridge by 2018: PM
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com

Published: 04 Jun 2014 20:06 BdST Updated: 04 Jun 2014 21:06 BdST

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina expects the construction of the Padma bridge to be over by 2018.

T
he expressed this hope in Parliament on Wednesday, a day after awarding the work order to a Chinese company.

“The construction of the Padma bridge will take four years. I hope vehicles will have rolled on the bridge by 2018,” the Prime Minister said in reply to a question by Rustom Ali Faraji, MP, Pirojpur-3.

Padma+Bridge.jpg

The 6.15km-long bridge will link capital Dhaka with 21 southern districts, including Pirojpur, by road.

The government says the bridge will help increase the GDP growth rate by 1.2 percent.

China Major Bridge Engineering Company Limited was given the work order on Monday.

Construction would begin this month or in July, Hasina said.

In 2011, the government had signed a deal with the World Bank for project funding. But the global lender raised allegations of graft and the deal fell through.

A year later, the government decided to mobilise internal resources for the construction work.

“We will build the bridge in four years with our own funds,” the Prime Minister said.

The whole nation of Bangladesh have been waiting and watching for the last 6 years...

True but now a Chinese firm has been selected and they are known to be fast and cheap.

BD government finances are now capable of financing a project of this scale.

Only India can dissuade Hasina now and this will be a good indication of just how much of an Indian puppet she is.

Seeing is believing. Come 2018 if i can go to Khulna driving over this bridge. I will post pictures of me standing on the bridge on PDF:cheers:

True but now a Chinese firm has been selected and they are known to be fast and cheap.

Only India can dissuade Hasina now and this will be a good indication of just how much of an Indian puppet she is.
Our government is heavily borrowed. If you pull the reserves the economy is doomed.

The 6.15km-long bridge will link capital Dhaka with 21 southern districts, including Pirojpur, by road.

The government says the bridge will help increase the GDP growth rate by 1.2 percent.

I am an engineer, not an economist
but how can a single 6 km long bridge increase gdp growth rate by 1.2%
coz looking at the size of bangladeshi economy, dats an economic impact of $1.5 Billion

AL govt. finished the procedure of selecting a Chinese company over others when Indian politics was busy with the general election. India had/has no opportunity to dissuade the GoB from taking the decision to bring in the Chinese inside the belly of BD. BD's politicians are not bad. The decision must be tasting bad in the Indian mouth. However, our Jamaatis are fond of name calling BD as Indian puppet.

couldnt u guys give it more funnier name then this Padma....:lol:

I am an engineer, not an economist
but how can a single 6 km long bridge increase gdp growth rate by 1.2%
coz looking at the size of bangladeshi economy, dats an economic impact of $1.5 Billion

Padma Bridge will connect an entire region, about 1/4th of the entire country, to the other 3/4th. This will have a tremendous effect on the economy of the country. For example vegetable production and marketing will get boost. Cows in our SW region eats better vegetables than the population in other parts. Padma Bridge will boost the communication system that will allow huge amount of vegetables to other regions. It is same with fruits as well.

Many of our big industries have already bought thousands of acres of roadside lands in the expectation of the Bridge. Now, these companies will come forward to build their factories. This will boost the production of the country. Entire transport system will further develop as well. There are hundred other opportunities that will open to the public.

So far absent all these new economic activities will certainly add up to increase the GDP. However, I fear the land price in the SW will increase.

Back
Top Bottom