What's new

PA decides in favor of Navistar MaxxPro MRAP

Chak Bamu

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Though deliberations have been going on for quite sometime, PA has decided in favor of Navistar MaxxPro that is under heavy usage by US Army in Afghanistan. There are more than 8000 being used in Afghanistan as of now.

Navistar Defense - Navistar Defense MaxxPro MRAP - MRAP Vehicles - Military Vehicles
International MaxxPro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For a general introduction to MRAF (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected) vehicles, see: MRAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can not disclose my source. But I am sure we shall start seeing these babies pretty soon. We need these in Tribal areas against TTP and in Karachi against TTP and Lyari gangs.

This shows that military cooperation between USA and Pakistan is still operational.

I expect Indian members here to raise questions, objections, and ridicule. I can not answer any of that and my only plea would be to wait and see.

I can not disclose my source. But I am sure we shall start seeing these babies pretty soon. We need these in Tribal areas against TTP and in Karachi against TTP and Lyari gangs.

This shows that military cooperation between USA and Pakistan is still operational.

I expect Indian members here to raise questions, objections, and ridicule. I can not answer any of that and my only plea would be to wait and see.
Infact the vehicle has proven itself.
Quite a good choice by PA if true.

MaxxPro_international_Navistar_MRAP_Mine_Resistant_Ambush_Protected_armoured_vehicle_US-Army_United_States_640_002.jpg

4-maxxpro-mrap-vehicles.jpg

If its seems almost free, tested in real harsh terrain. Plus coming in hundred. May be US NATO gift to Pak Army. Plus hundreds of anti IED robots given to Pak Army. More to come.

Last edited:
So again we're going to be stuck with American junk :hitwall:

What happened to the Lazar 2 ???

Americans are not doing us any huge favors by leaving their MRAPs to us. Allah knows we need them badly, but go through the link I have provided and you can see the sense in their leaving these beasts to us. They are giving these away for free to domestic police departments of even rural towns in USA, raising concerns of 'militarization' of local police departments.

Lazar 2 is definitely in another class. We can use it if we get a good TOT deal. But these would essentially be free as far as I can surmise. Its hard to beat the deal. None can say they did not see it coming. This was going to happen in any case.

Are we getting new or the ones NATO uses in Afghanistan?

most probably used stuff ....

US Looking to Sell Portion of Afghan MRAP Fleet | Defense News | defensenews.com

WASHINGTONThe US government is working to sell as many as 2,000 of its hulking mine-resistant, ambush-protected (MRAP) vehicles in Afghanistan instead of sending them home or destroying them in place — provided the foreign buyers pay to ship the trucks out of the country themselves.

A Pentagon spokesman said that several foreign countries have expressed interest in buying the Afghan MRAPs but no final agreements have been signed.

Are we getting new or the ones NATO uses in Afghanistan?

All I know is that we took a good look at them before making a decision. My (pretty strong) guess is that we will get surplus ones from Afghanistan. Americans do not know what to do with thousands upon thousands of these. They are even considering junking them. Its good if we get them.

Navistar has a civilian product line up and MaxxPro is based on their civilian products. So it would not be a difficult matter to maintain these vehicles in Pakistan.

Americans are not doing us any huge favors by leaving their MRAPs to us. Allah knows we need them badly, but go through the link I have provided and you can see the sense in their leaving these beasts to us. They are giving these away for free to domestic police departments of even rural towns in USA, raising concerns of 'militarization' of local police departments.

Lazar 2 is definitely in another class. We can use it if we get a good TOT deal. But these would essentially be free as far as I can surmise. Its hard to beat the deal. None can say they did not see it coming. This was going to happen in any case.
If they're free then sou-bismillah :D

Nobody hates free stuff.

Though deliberations have been going on for quite sometime, PA has decided in favor of Navistar MaxxPro that is under heavy usage by US Army in Afghanistan. There are more than 8000 being used in Afghanistan as of now.

Navistar Defense - Navistar Defense MaxxPro MRAP - MRAP Vehicles - Military Vehicles
International MaxxPro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For a general introduction to MRAF (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected) vehicles, see: MRAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If we can say that about 10,000 MRAPs in Afghanistan than surely there is high possibility that about 4000 would be given to Afghanistan and the rest 6000 to PA...

There might be some other good stuff which we must request them like:

More oer these MRAPs have many versions like:

Navistar Defense - Navistar Defense Browse and Compare Vehicles

we already 3
Lazar 2 hope Pakistan will gets more in future
in ideas 2012 Pakistan also sign a deal with china for mraps

Can someone please post pros & cons of both and which is better suited for PA?

I would strongly advise against letting imagination run wild @Nishan_101. I can not say what PA would do with 6000 of these. We probably need no more than a few hundred. These are very costly to operate and are not friendly to roads and bridges. At 14+ tonnes these would be fairly difficult to move around. MRAPs have around 2 km / litre fuel consumption, so one does not have to be a rocket scientist to figure that these vehicles are not likely to see heavy usage.

These could be put to good use at mobile C3 nodes (command node, even drone operation node), But I doubt we need many thousands of these.

We need to be judicious about their deployment, since these can easily be seen as 'reward' for 'services' rendered. These could become good targets for this reason, and we can not have that.

Thing is I have seen them in karachi Highway coming from Afghanistan to karachi and dissappearing in mountains probably there is base of pak army

Can someone please post pros & cons of both and which is better suited for PA?

Lazar2 is more like an armoured personnel carrier with a 500 HP engine & 8 wheels. It is much heavier and more suited to combat operations.

MaxxPro is a converted truck with a conventional 4 wheel layout driven by a 330 HP engine. It weighs much less than Lazar 2 at 14.3 tonnes.

The two are totally different products for different scenarios. It is not necessarily an 'either / or' proposition. We can have them both if PA felt the need.

In fact PA has already purchase 3 Lazar 2 vehicles according to this link:
http://www.b92.net/eng/news/business.php?yyyy=2013&mm=06&dd=25&nav_id=86746

More information about Lazar 2: Lazar 2 MRAV MRAP Multi-Purpose 8x8 armoured vehicle technical data sheet specifications pictures - Army Recognition - Army Recognition
"
Description
The Lazar 2 is a multi-purpose 8x8 armoured vehicle in the category of MRAP (Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected). This vehicle is designed and manufactured by the Serbian Defense Company YugoImport. The Lazar 2 was unveiled for the first time to the public during the Defense Exhibition Partner 2013 which was held in Belgrade from the 25 to 28 June 2013. LAZAR II 8x8 MRAV/MRAP Multi-Purpose Armored Vehicle 8x8 is designed following modern world trends in development of a wheeled armored vehicles families intended for carrying out of a number of tactical tasks in different armed conflicts. The concept and technical solutions of the vehicle are especially adjusted to the requirements of modern infantry units and special units engaged in carrying out of the tasks of asymmetric warfare, antiterrorist and peace keeping actions, as well as wide range of medium level armed conflicts. Special accent is made on vehicle actions in urban conditions, inhabited areas and highly intersected terrain, against enemy extensively using ambushes, anti-tank (AT) mines, improvised explosives devices (IED), etc. LAZAR II is also enabling effective engagement of bunkers, armored fighting vehicles, as well as MBTs. The vehicle concept is merging of most important features of MRAV (Multi Role Armored Vehicle), and MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicle) armored vehicle concepts, featuring with very high all-terrain/all climate conditions mobility, high fire power, high all-round ballistic protection, high AT mines/IED protection as well as possibility of battlefield observation and target engagement by embarked crew personal weapons. Vehicle concept provides these unique combinations of basic characteristics of the two classes of modern wheeled armored vehicles exceptionally important in the world today. All the main assemblies: power pack components, steering components, power pack, electric system components, hydraulic-pneumatic system components, armament - can be replaced in the field in a very short time. In August 2013, Pakistan has announced that the Pakistani army has procured three Serbian LAZAR II AFV’s for evaluation with the possibility of constructing facilities to produce the AFV/APC locally, under license."

Back
Top Bottom