What's new

Overcoming Turkey’s policy blunder concerning India

EjazR

Reaction score
Overcoming Turkey?s policy blunder concerning India

ABDULLAH BOZKURT

It was a grave mistake for Turkish foreign policy to cave in to Pakistani pressure to not invite India to the İstanbul summit on Afghanistan held in January of this year.

The principles and values guiding Turkey’s foreign policy, including a multiple engagement policy in every region of the world with an honest broker approach, as coined by popular Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu, were violated by this decision to appease the Pakistanis.

The meeting, attended by the Afghan and Pakistani presidents as well as senior diplomats and ministers from the UK, the US, Iran, Tajikistan, China, Kyrgyzstan, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Russia, was therefore marred by the absence of major regional player India, which is undoubtedly one of the important stakeholders in resolving problems in its neighborhood. We heard many diplomats in the halls of the Foreign Ministry in Ankara at the time question the wisdom of this decision and express their disillusionment in private with Davutoğlu’s decision.

The issue came back to life with a sting after the recent WikiLeaks release of US diplomatic cables detailing the controversy surrounding the Turkish decision to bar India from the İstanbul meeting. During a meeting with the US undersecretary of state for political affairs, William Burns, Rauf Engin Soysal, then-deputy undersecretary for bilateral political affairs responsible for the Middle East, South Asia and Africa, admitted that India was not invited to the summit in deference to Pakistani sensitivities.

Islamabad apparently requested that Turkey bar New Delhi from the meeting in line with the Pakistani policy of keeping India out of any meeting on Afghanistan. As I recall from talks I have had with Pakistani diplomats on the issue, I understand Pakistan has grave concerns and misgivings about Indian involvement in war-torn Afghanistan under development schemes lest New Delhi try to blindside Pakistan by forming another front against the country using Afghan territory to its west.

That may be true, but the problem here is why should Turkish foreign policy risk its principles and values, which it supposedly espouses in all parts of the globe, to being hijacked by becoming too acquiescent to the wishes of the Pakistani government and make Turkey’s interests hostage to bilateral problems? Soysal, a former Turkish ambassador to Pakistan and currently UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s special envoy for assistance to Pakistan, claims that Pakistan understands that barring India from the summit would be a mistake.

From the viewpoint of Turkish interests, it makes no difference if Pakistan is able to discern the ramifications of the decision to exclude India. The real point here, we should stress to Mr. Soysal, is how on earth Turkey allowed itself to be cornered into this position at the risk of alienating a major player on the Indian subcontinent. What benefits were we expecting to reap from this shortsighted decision? The “realpolitik” of national interests dictates that we should have a balanced approach in our dealings with both Pakistan and India and avoid being trapped in the bilateral problems of these neighbors.

India is too valuable a player, not only in the region but also in the global theater, to be ignored by an increasingly assertive Turkish foreign policy. In line with the diversification policies adopted by both countries after the Cold War ended, there are huge potentials and opportunities to exploit. Both countries belong to the prestigious G-20 club, the top 20 economies of the world. There have been clear signals from the Turkish side that Ankara wants to re-evaluate relations with India in light of changing global dynamics. The reversal of the Turkish position on Kashmir is a prime example of this paradigm shift under the new security challenges of the 21st century as Turkey moved from a call for a referendum under UN supervision to stressing the importance of Indian-Pakistani bilateral talks to resolve the issue, which is arguably closer to the Indian position.

In the last couple of years we have witnessed increased high-level contacts between the two countries, another sign of renewed interest to further cooperation. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan paid an official visit to India in November 2008, followed by President Abdullah Gül’s visit in February 2010. Yet the potential was not fully realized, and there is still a considerable confidence gap between India and Turkey. Though it is unfortunate that the diehard habits of Indians who still see Turkey through a Pakistani prism still linger on, the political commitment of the leadership of both countries may help overcome this mistrust in the future. Barring India from the January summit did not help but may even have exacerbated the situation.

Economic cooperation sought by both countries may pave the way to further cooperation in other areas as well. I look forward to seeing how the Joint Study Group, formed during Erdoğan’s visit to India to explore the feasibility of a free trade agreement and other opportunities for cooperation, will formulate its report, which is expected to be published by the end of this year or early next year. This report could be a roadmap to further developing ties with India.

The two countries had a trade volume of $3 billion in 2009 before dropping to $2.3 billion last year due to the global economic crisis. The first 10 months of 2010 show a rebound in both export and import figures in a year-on-year comparison. According to the Turkish Statistics Institute (TurkStat), Turkish exports to India jumped 34 percent in the first 10 months of the year when compared to the same period of last year, from $336 million to $450 million. During the same period, imports from India also rose from $1.5 billion to $2.8 billion, a whopping 45 percent increase.

As the numbers point to increased cooperation between Turkey and India, political engagement will slowly but surely also expand and diversify in the coming years, especially after the introduction of new tools of interaction into the relationship.

Interesting read and pretty factual description of the situation. India is too big to be ignored just based on Pakistan's sensitivities. If the Turks are smart they will balance their ideological (?) similarities with Pak vis-a-vis their economic opportunities with India.

And as the author says, not inviting India was a big mistake. Saudi Arabia is further away from Afghanistan but was invited whereas India with billions of dollars of reconstruction help and a South-Asian neighbor was left out. It does send out wrong signals to GoI about Turkey's ability to engage with India. I am positive about future relations though. If US can come around then why not Turkey?

Turkey knows what they are doing. Don't cry over and over again on every tom dick and harry matter. It really is a very bad habit on part of india to cry over matters where it is not included or given attention. Don't roll over infront of them for attention, when they want to they will.

Turkish Foreign Office knows well they don't need indian suggestions.

Don't indians do it all over the world when it comes to Pakistan blocking purchases, deals and other matters. Shameless.

Turkey knows what they are doing. Don't cry over and over again on every tom dick and harry matter. It really is a very bad habit on part of india to cry over matters where it is not included or given attention. Don't roll over infront of them for attention, when they want to they will.

Turkish Foreign Office knows well they don't need indian suggestions.

Don't indians do it all over the world when it comes to Pakistan blocking purchases, deals and other matters. Shameless.

Is the author of the article Indian?

And I can sense the resentment a Pakistani would derive from India's exalted standing in global affairs. Its a legitimate concern if India is left out of Afghanistan.

Is TODAYS ZAMAN a popular News Paper in Turkey??

While Mr. Bozkurt's views are music to Indian ears, as he speaks of the realpolitik, it is also defined by the leadership themselves. If the government in Turkey feels its important to appease Pakistan then who are we to complain? Let us wait and see if the Turko Indian relationship would make a u turn from these kind of episodes.

I don't understand one more thing, i don't think we Indians have ever seen Turkey through the prism of Pakistan?? May be i am unaware of this but frankly Turkey doesn't generate a negative opinion from people here if not positive.

Interesting read and pretty factual description of the situation. India is too big to be ignored just based on Pakistan's sensitivities. If the Turks are smart they will balance their ideological (?) similarities with Pak vis-a-vis their economic opportunities with India.

And as the author says, not inviting India was a big mistake. Saudi Arabia is further away from Afghanistan but was invited whereas India with billions of dollars of reconstruction help and a South-Asian neighbor was left out. It does send out wrong signals to GoI about Turkey's ability to engage with India. I am positive about future relations though. If US can come around then why not Turkey?

This is politics at play. We all know why SA was invited. We obviously know why India was not. AKP is not a administration that always makes logical decisions on these matters. Therefore specifically with this administration ideological reasons will come into play more. Cooperation with India will continue of course but shunning may still happen.

Is TODAYS ZAMAN a popular News Paper in Turkey??

While Mr. Bozkurt's views are music to Indian ears, as he speaks of the realpolitik, it is also defined by the leadership themselves. If the government in Turkey feels its important to appease Pakistan then who are we to complain? Let us wait and see if the Turko Indian relationship would make a u turn from these kind of episodes.

I don't understand one more thing, i don't think we Indians have ever seen Turkey through the prism of Pakistan?? May be i am unaware of this but frankly Turkey doesn't generate a negative opinion from people here if not positive.

I would try to avoid that newspaper as it can be very pro government and not a accurate interpretation of issues at hand.

I would try to avoid that newspaper as it can be very pro government and not a accurate interpretation of issues at hand.

Thanks for that info but seems this particular article is criticizing the gov policy. What is your take on this, i mean do people in Turkey know anything about India in general??

There is a conflict in your statement ... how can some statement be pro-govt and yet not be an accurate interpretation of issues at hand? (in a democracy).
Now if you disagree with the report that is a different matter altogether.

I do agree with the article that ignoring India in matters of Afghanistan is a big oversight by Turkey.

Thanks for that info but seems this particular article is criticizing the gov policy. What is your take on this, i mean do people in Turkey know anything about India in general??

Not near the level of Pakistan. India doesn't really get too much attention in Turkey. Does Turkey get any attention in India ?

I am sure that the people of Turkey are aware of what india is and where it is. But you guys need to understand that the whole world is not indian and india is not the whole world. Where as you guys have recently had success against Pakistan at multiple front, this was one of the cases where Pakistan actually came on top.
That said, I personally dont think that india will let go of Turkey because of this one incident and nor will there be any rift created in the dealings of both the countries. india is too big a market for Turkey to ignore, and same is true in Turkey's case. So dont worry.

Not near the level of Pakistan. India doesn't really get too much attention in Turkey. Does Turkey get any attention in India ?

Well to be frank if i am to speak of common man like me not much. However in certain parts some people (it was prevalent when i was a child as i hears many people say so where i live) mix all the Muslims some times to have come from Turkey, i mean they might have been speaking of the past history of the invasions. Infact i myself have started to know more about your country only recently. Since India is big i can't vouch for the whole country but from the state i am it is so.

Even the media isn't that concentrating on your country, may be because we are too far off geographically.

I do agree with the article that ignoring India in matters of Afghanistan is a big oversight by Turkey.

Lets reverse the scenario for a sec and lets say that Turkey had invited india and ignored Pakistan, what would you have thought of that. Just curious.

I am sure that the people of Turkey are aware of what india is and where it is. But you guys need to understand that the whole world is not indian and india is not the whole world. Where as you guys have recently had success against Pakistan at multiple front, this was one of the cases where Pakistan actually came on top.
That said, I personally dont think that india will let go of Turkey because of this one incident and nor will there be any rift created in the dealings of both the countries. india is too big a market for Turkey to ignore, and same is true in Turkey's case. So dont worry.

Look buddy i am not at all worried about this point scoring. I perfectly know the reality of this interest of the world in India and that too recently.

If u would read my first post, i have no problem with Turkey's actions as it is their personal choice of what to do and what not to do. I was clearly surprised by this article and was asking the veracity of this article to which Jigs confirmed my suspicion that the news paper is not an accurate one. After being on this forum for some time and since strategic discussions are my interest, (i follow discussions by all Think Tanks and senior members and i mean on both sides) i have learnt one or two things about such issues. A single article doesn't change anything.

As espoused by you once the trade relations between India and Turkey increase then we can think of India influencing them, for now it is not going to happen. Also geographical and religious contentions are great barriers for this relationship to blossom.

Back
Top Bottom