What's new

Over 150 Hindu inmates in Tihar keep roza

khujliwal

Reaction score
Country
India
They join more than 2,300 of their Muslim counterparts in the dawn-to-dusk fast; over 70 women also observing Ramzan.

NEW DELHI In an inspiring example of communal harmony, more than 150 Hindu inmates of Tihar Jail in New Delhi are keeping roza, the dawn-todusk fast during Ramzan, along with over 2,300 Muslim inmates.

The holy month of Ramzan commenced on June 29 this year. Tihar Jail authorities said the Hindu inmates started keeping rozas along with the Muslim inmates from the very first day and have said they will continue the month-long fasting to its completion.

"The inmates have symbolised the strong bond of unity among them which is appreciable. Jail authorities have made all the arrangements so that those observing Ramzan do not face any difficulty," Tihar jail PRO Sunil Gupta said. Special arrangements have been made for the inmates to perform prayers and enjoy their pre-dawn 'sehri' meal and evening meals known as 'iftars'.

"Food items like seasonal fruits, sweets like jalebi, dry fruits, and various other snacks are being made available to them for both sehri and iftar," he said. Gupta said that the day-long roza ends with iftar in their respective wards of the jail following which they offer namaz outside their cells. Over 70 women inmates are also a part of the religious practice, he added.

Ramzan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar, is observed as a fasting period by Muslims, who abstain from food and water from sunrise to sunset. Muslims wake up early morning for the pre-dawn sehri meal renouncing food and water during the day before breaking their fasts in the evening.The month-long fasting will culminate in the Id-ul-Fitr celebrations next month.

As Islam follows a lunar calendar, the holy month begins every year about 11 days earlier and its commencement is traditionally determined by the appearance of the new moon.

Over 150 Hindu inmates in Tihar keep roza - Pune Mirror

It might take time but shift will happen with increase of globalism.

Polytheism will slowly be replaced by monotheism, Christianity and Islam will phase out Hinduism with remaining turning to Atheism. I can see India becoming the first officially atheist country in the world.

Its a long process, it could take 100 years.

Funny to attach it to religion, it has more to do with companionship. Someone said Hindus and Muslims can't live together, wish he'd been alive and I would have told him, Sir they fast together.

Polytheism will slowly be replaced by monotheism, Christianity and Islam will phase out Hinduism with remaining turning to Atheism. I can see India becoming the first officially atheist country in the world.

China will be first .Then India.

Really for 5000 years we taking this nonsense.empires like Greeks, persians, Romans are come much after we came to existence . They converted to Dust we are still here.so be in the future bot rest my case

Last edited:
Really for 5000 years we taking this nonsense.empires like Greeks, persians, Romans are come much after we come existence . They converted to Dust we are still here.so be in the future bot rest my case

They didn't have tv, internet and social media back then. Times changing buddy, for everyone.

They didn't have tv, internet and social media back then. Times changing buddy, for everyone.
Hinduism is so diverse that it absorb anything you din't understand because you are not a hindu.your talking about Aethism it's a part of hinduism bot if want to read what is a hindu just go check swami vivekananda books.

Hinduism already has monotheism boy. We had it before your religion even existed.

That is why Saudis are so afraid of Atheists that they are hunting the atheists down?

I am an Atheist, even I think that is a bit much :-)

I thought China was already atheist.

Nah bro. Christianity is taking off in a big way.

I saw an estimate that within a few decades, it might become the largest Christian nation..

actually with the internet, it has become easier to propagate extremism. This includes a big growth in Hindu extremism too.

There will be a large growth in atheism, but not enough to substantially change the equation.

Last edited:

most arab muslims will turn to atheism before Indians do. Iranians are already near atheists... only muslim that will remain are african and south asian..

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom