Our beloved LCA almost dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munir

REST IN PEACE
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I was going to like the looks of it but somehow the results are not as good as ordered by IAF (I think the IAF plays a dirty game here by changing wishlist).

BANGALORE: The Indian Air Force has categorically ruled out placing further orders for the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Tejas, with its current configuration.

In 2005, the IAF placed an order with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited for 16 fighters and four trainers. The then Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee said a decision on an additional 20 aircraft was under consideration. But that plan has come a cropper since the overweight, under-powered Tejas does not meet the IAF’s minimum air staff requirements (ASR).

The IAF decision though is not the end of the road for the Rs. 6,000-crore LCA programme. It will consider acquiring 125 more Tejas when an improved — Mark 2 (Mk2) — variant is developed. As indicated by an IAF committee in 2004, any further order will be subject to the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), the designer and developer of the LCA programme, showing “firm visibility that the aircraft will meet the ASR.”

Recently, the IAF even made a few suggestions on improvements in Tejas Mk2, including a more powerful engine, optimisation of the aerodynamic qualities and weight of the aircraft and “dropping and replacing” certain parts to take care of obsolescence.

Tejas Mk2 will take a few years to fructify, the biggest challenge being choosing a new powerful engine. In December, the ADA is expected to issue a request for proposal to General Electric for its GE F414 and to the European consortium Eurojet for EJ200, in a bid to procure 99 engines (with an option to buy another 49).

Once the engine is chosen, fuselage modifications will have to be carried out, flight tests started and evaluation undertaken. All trainer aircraft even after Tejas Mk2 rolls out will continue to have the present GE F404 engines.

Cold weather trials

On the LCA programme, the ADA is getting ready for ‘cold weather trials.’ They were to have been conducted in 2007 but were not because of questions about the aircraft’s reliability.

Two or three aircraft are scheduled to leave for Leh on December 8. Cold weather trials include landing the Tejas at Leh, one of the most challenging airfields in the world, and ‘cold soak’ when temperatures are around minus 15 degrees C to see if the systems on board function normally.

Slow pace

The IAF is also worried about the slow pace and quality of work at HAL. More so, because it will not be able to deliver by 2013, as scheduled, the 20 aircraft for which orders have been placed. Defence Minister A.K. Antony recently said the Tejas would enter squadron service by 2011, which date, according to officials, is highly optimistic as hardly 10 or 12 test sorties are now being undertaken. The IAF expects the final operational clearance for the Tejas only after 2012.

Your title and the contents doesn't match.It doesn't say it is dead. Some how people here manage to day dream. Now please come back to reality. Here it is.

The project is going slow, this we know eons back. That is the reason MRCA tender was floated and a stop-gap arrangement till we get LCA ready.

>>>The Indian Air Force has categorically ruled out placing further orders for the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Tejas, with its current configuration.

You know how it takes to get over that sentence? My title is comparable of what Indian posted on Keymag... Do not make it personal devil. This is posted as positive it an get. Get used to that and stop acting as oneliner.

>>>The Indian Air Force has categorically ruled out placing further orders for the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Tejas, with its current configuration.

You know how it takes to get over that sentence? My title is comparable of what Indian posted on Keymag... Do not make it personal devil. This is posted as positive it an get. Get used to that and stop acting as oneliner.

The keyword is current configuration. IAF is not happy with present configuration and wants some further modifications to place an order. But, how were you able to paraphrase it as 'dead' is something I'm unable to fathom. I'm not taking it personal, you will always find rational arguments from my side.

The keyword is current configuration. IAF is not happy with present configuration and wants some further modifications to place an order. But, how were you able to paraphrase it as 'dead' is something I'm unable to fathom. I'm not taking it personal, you will always find rational arguments from my side.

I think the IAF is moving towards pretty radical changes... Engine etc etc... So almost dead after decades development. We will see probably w whole new plane in a few years.

I personally woud have enjoyed this plane to be accepted. Certainly the dual seater. I think the IAF should have less focus on imports and more on something India can produce. With MKI/Mig29/Mirage2000/foreign MRCA this plane was a good start. Changing configuration will mean lots of delay.

Compare it with Pakistan. They will die to get JF17 fully inducted. Block52 is nice but still... Not an Chinese/Pak product.

I think the IAF is moving towards pretty radical changes... Engine etc etc... So almost dead after decades development. We will see probably w whole new plane in a few years.

I personally woud have enjoyed this plane to be accepted. Certainly the dual seater. I think the IAF should have less focus on imports and more on something India can produce. With MKI/Mig29/Mirage2000/foreign MRCA this plane was a good start. Changing configuration will mean lots of delay.

Compare it with Pakistan. They will die to get JF17 fully inducted. Block52 is nice but still... Not an Chinese/Pak product.

Slowly but steadily we are moving towards that. I hope by 2015 we will have all versions of LCA inducted.

Good for pakistan that they are getting JF-17. I wish them the best.
:cheers:

Slowly but steadily we are moving towards that. I hope by 2015 we will have all versions of LCA inducted.

Thanks for the praise on the Thunder mate but saying all versions of LCA will be inducted by 2015 is a bold statement when your own DRDO envisions the last tranche to be flying around 2020 no sooner.

:pop:

Do not underestimate the knowledge and contacts LCA delivered... How would you feel if say something less like F7pg is upgraded/assisted by pretty much the well known top 5 industries in the world? Even though, not looking at nationalism but it feels always very nice to see/touch a real Indian/Chinese/Pakistani product. We might destroy eachother in forums but I kind of enjoy the products when the heat is gone.

Thanks for the praise on the Thunder mate but saying all versions of LCA will be inducted by 2015 is a bold statement when your own DRDO envisions the last tranche to be flying around 2020 no sooner.

:pop:

By 2015 it will be the initial batch, in 2020 it will be the upgraded ones. Though these time lines might change, we never know.

I think LCA2 is not as LCA as we think. Do remember that IAF is looking at the best so they surely do not want something average. Timetable is pretty unpredictable for any project. LCA was unique but it doesn't mean DRDO will make same mistakes twice. The number of educated Indians is rising faster then let say Pakistan. Only China is a real exception. They went from J6 copies towards J10/JF17/J11/Jxx in something more then 2,5 decades... Unbelievable and that does make the difference for Pakistan. Without China Pak would not come far.

p.s. I think most would not have expected me in this role of defending LCA but that is something called evolution. I think the LCA has come pretty far. The Thunder is far above expectations. But the next gen is the real focus now.

Last edited:
One also has to realize that China went cold with the collapse of the Soviets, now with Russia stronger than ever perhaps, Chinese aviation industry has benefited greatly and actually went off on it's own unique tangent.

One also has to realize that China went cold with the collapse of the Soviets, now with Russia stronger than ever perhaps, Chinese aviation industry has benefited greatly and actually went off on it's own unique tangent.

Agree. 24/7 with huge manpower can make the difference. But with the factories gaining knowledge this fast we will be suprised soon.

Russia leaned on China and India but with enough cash flow now they will return. US will no longer have the edge. Not even with JSF/F22. Sounds futuristic but looking at the past the Russians have shown more then USA.

How true... A movie made a few years ago

[video=google;-2853639506896885406]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2853639506896885406&ei=1VA8SduLD4WGiQLWkbiZAQ&q=LCA[/video]

80 Lca is first batch had been ordered (MK1) while MK2 will be getting a new engine ,new Aesa radar and newly designed Avionics suite work on all fronts are on first MK2 will fly by 2012/13 and IAF will place more orders on it around 140+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom