What's new

Ottoman Janissary March towards Skopje

When i visited Turkey last september it was weird for me. I mean what do you guys want be? asian or european? I visited Ephesos and for me as italian that was like home, because ephesos was great roman city. Seeing those ruins and be able to read the letters as the walls. That was my history for me. My ancestors history.
Istanbul on other side was like mixture of cairo and rome (more like rome but also bit like cairo because some elements) .

When i visited Turkey last september it was weird for me. I mean what do you guys want be? asian or european? I visited Ephesos and for me as italian that was like home, because ephesos was great roman city. Seeing those ruins and be able to read the letters as the walls. That was my history for me. My ancestors history.
Istanbul on other side was like mixture of cairo and rome (more like rome but also bit like cairo because some elements) .
We are a mix of all cultures in the region.

Well i hope you take care for roman parts of history there.

Things are getting better with the economy... but that wasn't case as always.

There i a small ancient city named "Seleucia" in near Antalya/Manavgat... so we decided to check it out since our holiday resort was near..

While nearing the site, we noticed the farmer who lives near to ruins took some of the ancient stones and used for his garden's walls.... :hitwall:

Anyways ancient cities are abundant in Turkey from various civilizations.
Ancient settlements in Turkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: On a short notice. Ephesus is older than Romans and ancient Greeks. ;)
It always facinates me same city being used by different civilizations. Troy is the best example here. 9 cities builded respectively on previous one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things are getting better with the economy... but that wasn't case as always.

There i a small ancient city named "Seleucia" in near Antalya/Manavgat... so we decided to check it out since our holiday resort was near..

While nearing the site, we noticed the farmer who lives near to ruins took some of the ancient stones and used for his garden's walls.... :hitwall:

Anyways ancient cities are abundant in Turkey from various civilizations.
Ancient settlements in Turkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ephesos is gigantic. The tour guide said back the it was 5 th largest city in our empire. They have digged out only a small part and leave most as it is at the moment because they ear they simply dont have the rescources at moment to conservate the entire city.

Yeap, the problem with the Archeology is you pour in a lot of money and you can't take the money back....

Ephesos is gigantic. The tour guide said back the it was 5 th largest city in our empire. They have digged out only a small part and leave most as it is at the moment because they ear they simply dont have the rescources at moment to conservate the entire city.

This Roman gate somehow survived in the middle of my city :D

Hadrian's Gate by Emre Ergin, on Flickr

Don't make Greeks hear you, many of them feel offended if someone from west claims stuf from Greece or Anatolia :D

Yeap, the problem with the Archeology is you pour in a lot of money and you can't take the money back....

You can and they do, Tourism. Troy should be an example.

were they like persian immortals ?

immortals.jpg

Any chance they visit Bucharest? Anyone know? Looks very interesting

You can and they do, Tourism. Troy should be an example.

Mate don't give examples from Troy....Troy mentioned in Homer's Ilyada......every Western would want to see that city.

Tell me who would want to travel to Turkey for Hattuşaş or Gordion ?? These excavation stuff only works with donations, sponsors and with a little state money....that's it.

If it would be the case like you suppose, we would have uncovered and restored all the archeological sites.

Mate don't give examples from Troy....Troy mentioned in Homer's Ilyada......every Western would want to see that city.

Tell me who would want to travel to Turkey for Hattuşaş or Gordion ?? These excavation stuff only works with donations, sponsors and with a little state money....that's it.

If it would be the case like you suppose, we would have uncovered and restored all the archeological sites.

I was commenting on Ephesos, with 1.5million tourists visiting the site they should put in the resources to unearth more of the city.

Unfortunately history is where Turks lack in, Turks simply do not care. Reason why most of these archaeological sites have foreigners working on them.

Back
Top Bottom