What's new

OPINION: Is the Su-30SM/MKI/MKM A Super Agile Fighter?

Pakistan Space Agency

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
OPINION: Is the Su-30SM/MKI/MKM A Super Agile Fighter?
January 21, 2020
By sDanials

rf-93654-russian-federation-air-force-sukhoi-su-30sm_PlanespottersNet_717183_9d8cd0cfdf_o.jpg

I think the press has gone too far in promoting the awesomeness and fearsome reputation of the Sukhoi Su-30SM Flanker-H. The magazines have printed an image of a super agile fighter which can be difficult to beat but in the case of the Indian Su-30MKI being shot down in the last skirmish with Pakistani JF-17, has put me into some surprise.

The JF-17 is Pakistani's most important jet fighter and is on the same level as those of the Indian Tejas and Saab Gripen. However what i can understand is how did this little lightweight fighter is able to shoot down a super agile fighter which have the thrust vectoring nozzles, a big radars and can carry 10 advance air to air missiles. We can understand that the Russian missiles supposed to have an edge over the Chinese built missiles but this is not the case. The Indians did evaluate the circumstances of the shot down and it boiled down to reliability of the Russian air to air missiles like the R-77 Adder and R-73 Archer which both have failed tremendously to the stage that the Indian Air Force recently came out that they weren't happy with the Russian missiles for being unreliable and was in discussion with the Israelis about using their missiles on all their fighters.

32928_1546515383.jpg

The other area is this. Did the Indian Air Force used the missiles as a statement or was it falsified to cloak the quality of pilot tactics or even the systems used on the Su-30MKI or being merely the jet is big enough that its RCS can be seen far away on a JF-17 radar system? How the Su-30MKI was shot down is a mystery. Some will say BVR engagement while some will say dogfighting. Was it a 1-to-1 affair or did more than 1 JF-17 jumped on the single Su-30MKI?

But it has prove one thing. The Su-30MKI is not a legend as many people. Meaning it can be shot down even by a light fighter like the JF-17. The Pakistani jet performance is similar to the F-16A, very nimble and very agile and its a very much a hot hatch. Its probable that the Su-30MKI was shot down with a Chinese PL-12 which was design with Russian assistance but i can assume that Israel has some helping hand in improving the Chinese missile. What i can't fathom is this. The PL-12 uses the same technology as the R-77 Adder and it worked. Do we boil it down to either issues with the Indians mis-maintaining their R-77 missiles which is why it failed or do you put the blame on the pilot, or was it pure bad luck. The Su-30MKI should have a much lower workload given it has a 2-pilot crew. So what give?

Sukhoi_Su-30SM_in_flight_2014.jpg

Whatever it is, the United State used this evidence and records to understand the tactic and training of Pakistani pilots against India's own pilot tactics. I am pretty sure the US was surprised by the shot down of both jets, given that the Su-30MKI represent the latest state of the art super jet as all said it was and the upgraded MiG-21 which became the Bison and had all the latest technologies with R-77 and R-73 missiles. Technically the MiG-21 was supposed to be on equal par with the JF-17 because of these technologies including HMS but could it be quality radar and even tactics to blame for the shot down?

Untitled-40.png

Now lets look at the bigger picture here. Pakistan will definitely increase their JF-17 fighter order towards the 450 mark. The JF-17 that shot down the MiG-21 and Su-30MKI was a Block 2 model. Now with the introduction of Block 3, its even more lethal in the air. So what would you say about your view on this..Readers, please given a comment on this on your view and share this with other readers on how this happen?

https://theairforcequaterlyjournal....opinion-is-su-30smmkimkm-super-agile.html?m=1

mini AEW&C is the best especially MKI as it incorporates vedick science and techlology.

Just out of curiosity. What is the use of "super maneuverability" outside of a dog fight scenario? The best thing surely is to detect first and shoot first i.e BWR combat.

Modi was crying about not Rafale in inventory during air skirmish with Pakistan.It shows their confidence about 200+ Su 30.
Even they did't stop our 24 jets for bombing. In daylight we violated their airspace as confirmed by IAF cheif
Su30 is overrated fighter, heavy load truck.

Hi,

Now----if someone had stuck a burning hot poker behind enemy's back where it hurts the most---the enemy would not be that hurt as it will with this article---.

In the 60's---it was the AK47 that was the great equalizer of power---.

In this day and age---between the modern aircraft of 4th and 4.5 gen---it is the total EW warfare suite and the potency of its BVR weapons that makes the difference with off course the pilot & pilot training being on top.

One thing the writer has missed out on i sthat the indians were not expecting the Paks to get into a shooting war---so possibly the orders given to indian pilots were not very clear---.

Sadly---this situation was not understood by the Paf hierarchy at that time---.

The IAF was in total disarray---its command and control was momentarily in shambles---and that was the moment for the Paf to hit the hardest to manage total mental air superiority over the enemy---which would have left the enemy shocked in disbelief at what hit them---.

Tragically---the Paf let the enemy escape with full contingent to regroup and may strike at a later time of their chosing---.

The SU30 and the enemy has lost nothing---but gained a lot---. Paf told them what to correct in the next combat---.

Should have asked DRDO to make it missile proof using their years of experience gained from their still under development UFO called Tejas.

this su-30 is one of the best fighter jets.iaf don't have good pilots.iaf likes to buy everything that looks costly.rafale is an example.

Back
Top Bottom