What's new

Operation 'Decisive Storm' | Saudi lead coalition operations in Yemen - Updates & Discussions.

please share the source because that can really help people who are on duty or have a medical condition restricting them to have a shoe on. I am not doubting you but its always good to share source.

"Praying with your shoes on is a Sunnah as it is evident from the Hadith. The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم‎ ) used to pray in his slippers and also, with his leather socks. So, it is indeed a sunnah.However, one should be really careful about it. If the footwear is dirty, you should clean it before you enter the masjid. Also, sometimes the slippers are very dirty and if you enter the masjid, the furnishing or carpet of the masjid gets dirty. This will annoy people and make them leave the jam'ah. In some cases, if your shoes are dirty, the person praying behind you will face difficulty. In this case, scholars say it is not permissible to wear those dirty shoes into the masjid. However, in other places, for example, if you wish to pray on land, then you can pray with your shoes on. It is indeed a good sunnah."

خَالِفُوا الْيَهُودَ فَإِنَّهُمْ لاَ يُصَلُّونَ فِي نِعَالِهِمْ وَلاَ خِفَافِهِمْ

Act differently from the Jews, for they do not pray in their sandals or their shoes

Sunan Abi Dawood

you have shared a pleasant aspect about the Saudi king ma'shallah. but in the same breath you insulted the Iranian leader which was uncalled for.

You are right. Thank you.

In normal circumstances, one cannot perform Salaat with the shoes on as it will be disrespectful to the Musjid and furthermore, wearing shoes alters the correct posture in the sitting position of Salaat. The main reason beside the impurity and disrespect to Masjid is that it will mess up your jalsa position (the position for reciting tashahud).

However, due to circumstances, for example, being in a jungle, etc. one will be excused for performing Salaat with the shoes on.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best
Mufti Ebrahim Desai (Sunni Mufti)
askimam.org/p...detail/760.html

PS: It is allowed according to Shaf'aee madhab but Hanafee's and Shia's are not allowed.

du'a requested

Last edited:
Praying with your shoes on is a Sunnah as it is evident from the Hadith. The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم‎ ) used to pray in his slippers and also, with his leather socks. So, it is indeed a sunnah.However, one should be really careful about it. If the footwear is dirty, you should clean it before you enter the masjid. Also, sometimes the slippers are very dirty and if you enter the masjid, the furnishing or carpet of the masjid gets dirty. This will annoy people and make them leave the jam'ah. In some cases, if your shoes are dirty, the person praying behind you will face difficulty. In this case, scholars say it is not permissible to wear those dirty shoes into the masjid. However, in other places, for example, if you wish to pray on land, then you can pray with your shoes on. It is indeed a good sunnah.

خَالِفُوا الْيَهُودَ فَإِنَّهُمْ لاَ يُصَلُّونَ فِي نِعَالِهِمْ وَلاَ خِفَافِهِمْ

Act differently from the Jews, for they do not pray in their sandals or their shoes

Sunan Abi Dawood

You are right. Thank you.
Mashallah

and thanks for sharing I recall the leader show reference some where during a Kutba. long time ago.
this should be clarified to more people as well. specially remember the days where we had to take off our military boots while in the field which is very cumbersome and time consuming I do know there are exceptions to help people but never knew if re Prayers there is so much accommodation accorded by Islam.. our Mullahs have really made our religion really hard to follow these days.

on a lighter note I will like to share with you and my Iranian friends
during Taliban rule a Pakistani team went to kabul to play a "friendly" match
of course there was no chance for a woman to see that match so Pakistani footballers were ok to be in shorts yes?

WRONG

they were beaten up badly by Taliban police as they turned up in the ground to play and just to complete the insult and punishment, their eyebrows were shaved off to teach them a lesson that they should always wear full length trousers while playing. (pretty much mild compared to what ISIS does these days I must say)

after laughing my *** off I do stop and think for a moment that Taliban Police did have a point you see?
they were trying to safeguard the Pakistani footballers from the lustful eyes of the Taliban crowd who would have had lustful thoughts looking at their buttocks that become more prominent in the shorts?

ok if all of you (who read this post) like this joke on us Pakistanis then please promise no more hate posts this evening?

hmm?

I was hoping I can keep my mouth shut on this thread but since this has continued and I will be guilty of withholding information if I carried on pretending not knowing anything about it.

My reason being the hadith available on this are rather limited in the sense that it does not provide ample details to get a clearer picture and I will have to enter the realm of Zann al-mubah, meaning (Speculation based on probability) when I comment on them.

may Allah (swt) guide us not to err.

When we read the Qur’an

20: 9 Has the story of Moses reached thee?

10 Behold he saw a fire: so he said to his family "Tarry ye; I perceive a fire; perhaps I can bring you some burning brand therefrom or find some guidance at the fire."

11 But when he came to the fire a voice was heard: "O Moses!

12 "Verily I am thy Lord! Therefore (in My presence) put off thy shoes: thou art in the sacred valley Tuwa.

Ibrahim says: Hence it is clear that , when we approach Holy Ground or scared Areas we must remove our shoes/sandals as a mark of respect. Thus If someone entered a mosque without removing his/her shoes in our current time frame (since mosques are well maintained and kept clean) it would cause an outrage and disrespect for the people who have humbled themselves by removing their shoes.

At the same time when we pray, our intention should be that we are standing in front of Allah (swt) hence using shoes is not advisable.

On the other hand the following hadith conveys that

Al-Muwatta Hadith Hadith 48.16

Wearing Sandals

Yahya related to me from Malik from his paternal uncle Abu Suhayl ibn Malik from his father that Kab al-Ahbar said to a man who took off his sandals, "Why have you taken off your sandals? Perhaps you have interpreted this ayat, 'Remove your sandals. You are in the pure valley of Tuwa?' (Sura 20 ayat 12) Do you know what the sandals of Musa were?"

Malik (the father of Abu Suhayl) said, "I do not know what the man answered." Kab said, " They were made from the skin of a dead donkey."

Ibrahim says: Even then my statements are correct where mosques and dedicated places of worship are concerned. For wearing shoes in such places have been refused by the maintainers of such places , hence a dignitary using shoes would amount to disrespect and should not be practiced as much as possible in my view. ( unless they are carrying an extra pair of clean shoes just for prayers)

The Following hadith attest to the approval of wearing shoes in prayer , when they are clean in nature.

Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 650 Narrated by Abu Sa'id al-Khudri

While the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) was leading his Companions in prayer, he took off his sandals and laid them on his left side; so when the people saw this, they removed their sandals. When the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) finished his prayer, he asked: What made you remove your sandals? The replied: We saw you remove your sandals, so we removed our sandals. The Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) then said: Gabriel came to me and informed me that there was filth in them. When any of you comes to the mosque, he should see; if he finds filth on his sandals, he should wipe it off and pray in them.

Ibrahim says: Although this hadith allows the use of shoes in mosques, we need to understand what or how mosques were at this time frame when this was applicable. Anyone who had visited Arabia and the old places of worship ( mosques at the time of prophet (pbuh)) will attest that the Mosques of that time, was just a flat piece of land with a piece of wall, that acted as a barrier for the imam to stand facing the kaa’bah ( hence there are hadiths which records dogs freely roaming into them)

In other words these mosques were open and due to the climate, it can get pretty hot, thus shoes have to be used or else one will get burnt by the shear heat of the soil.

I have in my past experience faced a lot of difficulties in Makkah itself when my sandals may get lost and one has to walk even a short distance on the pavements barefooted.

Thus in my opinion , the above hadith is more related to praying when one is traveling or when one is in an open mosque and the place is not exactly clean in all aspects .

Now the second hadith tells us, that the Prophet (pbuh) also removed shoes when praying, which is what most of us prefer to do in this time frame .

Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 648 Narrated by Abdullah ibn as-Sa'ib

I saw the Prophet (peace be upon him) praying on the day of the conquest of Mecca and he had placed his shoe at his left side.

Ibrahim says: hence at our current times when we have such clean and well maintained places of worship , it is important that we remove our shoes and use our socks only or be barefooted when we stand in prayer.

Allah (swt) knows best

Again what I am saying are to be considered Zann al-mubah, meaning (Speculation based on probability) and should not be taken as contradicting the hadiths.

Was salaam

Mashallah

and thanks for sharing I recall the leader show reference some where during a Kutba. long time ago.
this should be clarified to more people as well. specially remember the days where we had to take off our military boots while in the field which is very cumbersome and time consuming I do know there are exceptions to help people but never knew if re Prayers there is so much accommodation accorded by Islam.. our Mullahs have really made our religion really hard to follow these days.

on a lighter note I will like to share with you and my Iranian friends
during Taliban rule a Pakistani team went to kabul to play a "friendly" match
of course there was no chance for a woman to see that match so Pakistani footballers were ok to be in shorts yes?
The prophet prayed with both shoes on and off.

And as great Imams had said, Islam was sent down to make People's lives easier, when it no longer does that, then you must know you're not practicing Islam.

Islam is a mercy, as God said. And the multiple interpretations of different Imams is a mercy, since times and places change constantly. That's how the first Muslims understood Islam.

The problem with Taliban or similar hardliners, is that they stopped trying to interpret Qur'an for OUR time and place, instead they made what some "Ulama's" ancient interpretation (which fit their time-frame) holy, and replaced the Hadiths and Qur'an with ancient Imams' sayings and interpretations.

@scythian500

You can't contradict a clear Hadith with a subjective deduction of your own, or an interpretation.

It is in your right to deduce that since Moses took his shoes off in "Tuwa" then that means a person must take his shoes off in all holy places. But that is not the way of God or the Quran. Since if he wanted that meaning he would've just said it clearly. As per the restriction of going to the Mosque while drunk for example.
I don't see the need of trying to put more restrictions on ourselves, when God himself made it easy for us. And I'm sure Muslims at least will have the common sense of not dirtying a clean carpet with their shoes. As you said, depends on the ground. Yet, the Hadith still holds in all situations if someone chooses to practice it.

The prophet prayed with both shoes on and off.

And as great Imams had said, Islam was sent down to make People's lives easier, when it no longer does that, then you must know you're not practicing Islam.

Islam is a mercy, as God said. And the multiple interpretations of different Imams is a mercy, since times and places change constantly. That's how the first Muslims understood Islam.

The problem with Taliban or similar hardliners, is that they stopped trying to interpret Qur'an for OUR time and place, instead they made what some "Ulama's" ancient interpretation (which fit their time-frame) holy, and replaced the Hadiths and Qur'an with ancient Imams' sayings and interpretations.

@scythian500

You can't contradict a clear Hadith with a subjective deduction of your own, or an interpretation.

It is in your right to deduce that since Moses took his shoes off in "Tuwa" then that means a person must take his shoes off in all holy places. But that is not the way of God or the Quran. Since if he wanted that meaning he would've just said it clearly. As per the restriction of going to the Mosque while drunk for example.
I don't see the need of trying to put more restrictions on ourselves, when God himself made it easy for us. And I'm sure Muslims at least will have the common sense of not dirtying a clean carpet with their shoes. As you said, depends on the ground. Yet, the Hadith still holds in all situations if someone chooses to practice it.
Islam does not want hardship for Muslims but... Is n't even easier to pray while laying down or while stretching your feet on the ground? In shia Islam, there are both common sense and logic and also respect and sacred... In shia taking it easy is only when you are not healthy or have a reasonable excuse for not praying the way it is standard... Islam is not harsh on people with illnesses or disability... you can not fast if it harms your body while yours ill... You can pray sitting or laying down if you can't do it like a normal person...

But in my personal idea, whatever is directly about Allah and its prophet and ahl ul beit, we should keep it as respectful as we can... in Persian culture it is not that respectful to wear shoes when Praying, putting Shia Fiqh aside....

We never enter other people's houses wearing shoes let alone Masjids... For me it is all about respect..although there is problems with the position to recite Shahada....

There are many Aghval and Afa,al from nabi (s.a.s.v) from the time he was alive... In shia we don't just repeat whatever Rasul allah used to do... The principle of "rule of time and place" of shia Fiqh applies to this too... for example, Nabi Sallalah used to sometimes pray with his shoes on on the ground...Those days, Muslims were mostly travelling and had to pray on the ground. These days, we pray on carpets and prayer mats (janamaz). Thus, it would be better to pray without shoes. But there are occasions when the exception becomes the rule.

Islam does not want hardship for Muslims but... Is n't even easier to pray while laying down or while stretching your feet on the ground? In shia Islam, there are both common sense and logic and also respect and sacred... In shia taking it easy is only when you are not healthy or have a reasonable excuse for not praying the way it is standard... Islam is not harsh on people with illnesses or disability... you can not fast if it harms your body while yours ill... You can pray sitting or laying down if you can't do it like a normal person...

But in my personal idea, whatever is directly about Allah and its prophet and ahl ul beit, we should keep it as respectful as we can... in Persian culture it is not that respectful to wear shoes when Praying, putting Shia Fiqh aside....

We never enter other people's houses wearing shoes let alone Masjids... For me it is all about respect..although there is problems with the position to recite Shahada....

There are many Aghval and Afa,al from nabi (s.a.s.v) from the time he was alive... In shia we don't just repeat whatever Rasul allah used to do... The principle of "rule of time and place" of shia Fiqh applies to this too... for example, Nabi Sallalah used to sometimes pray with his shoes on on the ground...Those days, Muslims were mostly travelling and had to pray on the ground. These days, we pray on carpets and prayer mats (janamaz). Thus, it would be better to pray without shoes. But there are occasions when the exception becomes the rule.
I understand where you coming from, but as @Irfan Baloch said, some people doubted that they can take advantages of the mercy of Islam in dire situations such as " because that can really help people who are on duty or have a medical condition restricting them to have a shoe on." Where the Hadith gives more wiggle room. such is Islam in general. Sent down to serve the people, and not add to their already existing hardships.

I know what you are saying and respecting the Mosque is a very valid point too
just pointing out at how Islam accommodates the Muslims despite the current popular belief e.g Qasr.. when youa re travelling .. the concession re prayers and fasting etc.

as long as all Fiqhs of Islam stay true to sources of Shariah i.e. Quran and Sunnah (Ahl Baith) and interpret according to current times etc we will be fine. we got a bit off track but at least there are no insults being traded which I really appropriate.

thanks to all of you

To understand what's going on in Yemen, you had better watch this documentary which made by Al Jazeera.

should I post documentary from IRIB or Al Alam about Yemen !?
Are you comparing Al Jazeera with IRIB and Al Alam?
Because I think there is a big gap in credibility and reliability between Al Jazeera and those channels...If you think you have a documentary that could help us to understand the situation of Yemen, then submit it here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom