What's new

Operation 'Decisive Storm' | Saudi lead coalition operations in Yemen - Updates & Discussions.

Coalition destroys rebel arms depot | Arab News
Published — Wednesday 13 May 2015

SANAA: Several casualties were reported following an attack by Saudi-led warplanes at an arms depot on the outskirts of Sanaa, a medical official said Tuesday.

Residents said that explosions at a military base at Mount Noqum, in the eastern outskirts of Yemen’s capital, lasted until midday on Tuesday after coalition jets struck the depot late Monday.

The depot was bombed again on Tuesday, an AFP correspondent said.

The strikes set off huge explosions that sent debris crashing into a residential area at the foot of the mountain.
Quiet returned to Sanaa as the newly appointed UN envoy to Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, arrived after touring Gulf members of the coalition.

“We are convinced that dialogue is the only way to solve the Yemeni problem,” the rebel-controlled Saba news agency quoted him as saying.

Human Rights Watch warned the Houthis had intensified recruitment of children in violation of international law.
Commanders of the rebels and other groups “should stop using children or risk prosecution for war crimes,” HRW said.

Prince Miteb Bin Abdullah, minister of the National Guard, inaugurates the special security unit in #Riyadh. — SPA

CE4pnFRUkAEM7gR.jpg

CE4pn3pUgAA-zFS.jpg

CE4pn6xVEAAX1ef.jpg

CE4pn69UIAAyXJj.jpg

I'm a Sunni, from Sunni country and have always lived among Sunni. I assure you that there is no difference whatsoever between Sunni and the so called "Wahabisim". It's Shiite who are different and the ones who we Muslims blame for ruining Islam and Muslim countries.

Again, it's you Shiite who are not part of us and have never and will never be so. If you don't really believe me, google the way Muslims treat Shiite in all Muslim countries from Mauritania all the way to Indonesia. I tell in advance, you're considered enemies of Islam and Muslims, a threat to Islam and Muslims...

This is just plain wrong. Wahhabism is as modern an invention as Saudi Arabia. If you knew its history then you would know that its creator, Abd Al-Wahhab, was considered by the Sunni scholars of the time to be way outside the mainstream of Sunni Islam. Sunni Islam far predates Wahhabism. Wahhabism only gained the traction that it did because Abd Al-Wahhab made a deal with Muhammad bin Saud, promising him that political obedience, protection and propagation of the Wahhabi movement would mean power and glory and rule of lands and men.

The Al Saud dynasty have been using Wahhabism ever since to attempt to legitimise their rule. I guess they thought that the word of the British was not enough. They needed the word of God. And when none of the traditional Sunni Muslim scholars could give them that, they resorted to Abd Al-Wahhab.

I don't blame you for confusing the two. The Al-Saud family have worked tirelessly for generations to achieve just that. They have invested many billions of dollars in pumping out Wahhabi propaganda throughout the Middle East and beyond at a faster rate than they pump oil. But, if you cared to read the history, you would see through their thinly veiled deceit.

Well, these are guys that are proud when they drop bombs on defenseless people and think it showcases Saudi might, so its understandable.
At least we have a might to show, not a photoshopped plane and a tin can of a frigate that we call a destroyer. :D

At least we have a might to show, not a photoshopped plane and a tin can of a frigate that we call a destroyer. :D

You are talking about might as if you have produced even a screw of your military equipment, and seriously, showing might? Bombing poor Yemenis from the air is might to you, but you know, Arab armies, what else can we expect.

I mean, seriously, are you that desperate to quote an idiot like Amir Taheri? Birds of a feather flock together.

Way over that level. Purchasing air defence systems is just a small blip. We're talking about the US wanting to 'outsource' stability to middle eastern countries/blocs themselves. They want equilibrium. Not that one side is much stronger than the other. So that means they won't allow either side to get too strong, and will step in if that happens.

See the bigger picture. russian troops are stationed in Armenia and Armenia is part of CSTO.

turkey-armenia-iran-azerbaijan-georgia-map.jpg

This is just plain wrong. Wahhabism is as modern an invention as Saudi Arabia. If you knew its history then you would know that its creator, Abd Al-Wahhab, was considered by the Sunni scholars of the time to be way outside the mainstream of Sunni Islam. Sunni Islam far predates Wahhabism. Wahhabism only gained the traction that it did because Abd Al-Wahhab made a deal with Muhammad bin Saud, promising him that political obedience, protection and propagation of the Wahhabi movement would mean power and glory and rule of lands and men.

The Al Saud dynasty have been using Wahhabism ever since to attempt to legitimise their rule. I guess they thought that the word of the British was not enough. They needed the word of God. And when none of the traditional Sunni Muslim scholars could give them that, they resorted to Abd Al-Wahhab.

I don't blame you for confusing the two. The Al-Saud family have worked tirelessly for generations to achieve just that. They have invested many billions of dollars in pumping out Wahhabi propaganda throughout the Middle East and beyond at a faster rate than they pump oil. But, if you cared to read the history, you would see through their thinly veiled deceit.

Let me tell you the view from another majority Sunni country with just a few token Shia (50,000 among 150 million). Salafi's are a part of us, yes there are some issues, but Iranian actions since the Syrian civil war has made it crystal clear to 1.4 billion Sunni's that you Shia's do not consider Sunni's part of the same Muslim world. You have made it clear that you have your own Shia world, which is in no way part of the Sunni world. You are nervous about your small number and you intend to dominate to compensate for your smaller number.

Let me tell you the view from another majority Sunni country with just a few token Shia (50,000 among 150 million). Salafi's are a part of us, yes there are some issues, but Iranian actions since the Syrian civil war has made it crystal clear to 1.4 billion Sunni's that you Shia's do not consider Sunni's part of the same Muslim world. You have made it clear that you have your own Shia world, which is in no way part of the Sunni world. You are nervous about your small number and you intend to dominate to compensate for your smaller number.

Firstly I should clarify that I am not a Shia Muslim and I have no hidden motive to promote one branch of Islam over the other. Whether you choose to believe that or not is your prerogative.

I did not make any claims that Assad is perfect. Neither did I say that I thought that Assad should continue to rule Syria indefinitely. Assad made some serious errors. In fact, worse than errors, he made some serious blunders. He should have stepped down during the early protests and called an election. But that did not happen and nothing can change the course of past events.

What quickly followed the early protests was the fuel and ignition for the fire that has spread across Syria today. Regional adversarial countries immediately sensed an opportunity, like a shark to blood, and began to flood the country with terrorists, criminals and mercenaries. The chief protagonist in this sorry episode was Saudi Arabia who unleashed a tidal wave of terrorism and barbarism that had engulfed Syria and will eventually consume its master.

Just what do you expect will happen if Assad fled the country tomorrow and the SAA collapsed? I have asked this question before and thus far nobody has provided a satisfying response. The most likely event to follow this hypothetical scenario would be a mass genocide of non-Sunnis in Syria. Perhaps that's what you want. But it is not what anyone with any sense of morality would hope for.

I don't know Iran's intentions but I see nothing to suggest that Iran intends to dominate the surrounding Sunni countries. On the contrary, Iran has made countless peaceful overtures to its neighbours and Sunni Muslims in general. Need I remind you that they are the only country to have provided Palestine, a majority Sunni population, with the basic means to defend itself. What other country or people have done more for Palestine? The Saudis are silent, the Egyptians are complicit and the Turks made only a mutter when one of their ships came under attack.

Firstly I should clarify that I am not a Shia Muslim and I have no hidden motive to promote one branch of Islam over the other. Whether you choose to believe that or not is your prerogative.

I did not make any claims that Assad is perfect. Neither did I say that I thought that Assad should continue to rule Syria indefinitely. Assad made some serious errors. In fact, worse than errors, he made some serious blunders. He should have stepped down during the early protests and called an election. But that did not happen and nothing can change the course of past events.

What quickly followed the early protests was the fuel and ignition for the fire that has spread across Syria today. Regional adversarial countries immediately sensed an opportunity, like a shark to blood, and began to flood the country with terrorists, criminals and mercenaries. The chief protagonist in this sorry episode was Saudi Arabia who unleashed a tidal wave of terrorism and barbarism that had engulfed Syria and will eventually consume its master.

Just what do you expect will happen if Assad fled the country tomorrow and the SAA collapsed? I have asked this question before and thus far nobody has provided a satisfying response. The most likely event to follow this hypothetical scenario would be a mass genocide of non-Sunnis in Syria. Perhaps that's what you want. But it is not what anyone with any sense of morality would hope for.

I don't know Iran's intentions but I see nothing to suggest that Iran intends to dominate the surrounding Sunni countries. On the contrary, Iran has made countless peaceful overtures to its neighbours and Sunni Muslims in general. Need I remind you that they are the only country to have provided Palestine, a majority Sunni population, with the basic means to defend itself. What other country or people have done more for Palestine? The Saudis are silent, the Egyptians are complicit and the Turks made only a mutter when one of their ships came under attack.

There is no reason not to believe that you are not Shia, but that does not change the message in my post, only it is not applicable to you personally. Your user name Homar is an Iranian name and possibly you are Zoroastrian, Bahai or something like that or just an atheist, but it does not matter, because your point view seems biased nonetheless.

You admit that Assad started this whole fiasco, so naturally he is to blame, 100%. Saudi's pleaded with him not to kill his own people, but this guy was so confident with Hezb and Iran in his pocket, a big army under his command, that he simply could not imagine that he could be toppled. He is shaken a bit, but he still believes that he can hold on to some part of Syria. You cannot blame anyone else, Saudi, Emirati, Obama, no one, it is Assad's own doing.

What will happen after Assad fled? Let Syrian people figure it out, it is their country after all. Mass genocide of non-Sunni's you say, right here in this forum, many of us predicted this that Assad and his people are digging their own grave, but he was and still is so confident, these thoughts never crossed their mind. If they did, they would not do what they did last 4 years. So let them face the consequence of their actions, whatever they may be. It is not for people like you are I to worry about it.

Let us not bring the oxymoron of Shia Iran supporting a Sunni Palestine, I would say it was Taqiyah from the beginning to fool the Arab and Muslim world, that mask has now been exposed. With their support, it can also be said that they have hurt Palestinian cause more than they did help, as they gave some Palestinians a false sense of security.

Back
Top Bottom