What's new

Open Debate | Do Bangladeshis regard India as a 'savior' ?

Do Bangladeshis today regard India as a 'savior' in the backdrop of 1971 war ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We were bent on creating a nation, creating a sovereign state and adding a seat to the UN...that we did by handing an over-match to the Pakistani forces. Bangladesh got freedom, both India and Bangladesh got a neighbor (in respective terms) which was less than ideal but also found a geo-political space which was far better than the alternative. If Bangladesh had still been East Pakistan we would have been forced to turn it into a kill-box to preserve our nation's interests..in relative terms it turned out for the better.

Were we saviors, most definitely. Are we friends today, not particularly.

@Anubis captured the whole issue and un-packed it in the most accurate manner. To add to that, it most definitely was not an act of self-less assistance but rather a calculated move in which the future of Bangladeshis was taken into consideration but it was not the only criteria that found a place in the decision making matrix.

Last edited:
There is some residual gratefulness to India for helping BD during 1971 but that was a long time ago. A country cannot stay grateful for all eternity. Bangladeshis recognise that Indians have no special love for them.

Simply both Pakistan and BD would benefit by working together to "contain" India as otherwise India will forever remain the bully in the neighbourhood.

I think that BD would has a chance to become a more independent minded country within a decade as by then it should hopefully have got rid of the useless Hasina, economy should be around the size of Pakistan and the military would finally be approaching modern standards.

No way! Bangladesh would have been an independent state anyway, even if there was no Indian intervention, if not in 1971 then in 1972, 73 or 74! What exactly the intervention did was to accelerate the separation, nothing more, that too for the sake of India's self interest. Now someone would bring the examples of Kashmir or Palestine in this context if there was no Indian intervention, but then, as I explained earlier, the context of Bangladesh is a lot different from theirs.

@Aeronaut - A more pertinent question would be - Why do you give a foOk ? o_O

I can live with @genmirajborgza786 's lover affair with Bangladesh even though I despise it but seriously whats it to you ? Why should it matter to a Pakistani whether they consider the Indians their savior or Santa Claus ? :what:

I think it is a good initiative of Aeronaut to try to find out what modern Bangladeshis are thinking. Bangladeshis are an important component of PDF and this is recognition they may have an opinion worth knowing ...

I think it is a good initiative of Aeronaut to try to find out what modern Bangladeshis are thinking. Bangladeshis are an important component of PDF and this is recognition they may have an opinion worth knowing ...

God Bless Bangladesh & I really mean that but barring idle curiosity how does it matter to Pakistan whether Bangladeshis consider India as their savior or not ?

God Bless Bangladesh & I really mean that but barring idle curiosity how does it matter to Pakistan whether Bangladeshis consider India as their savior or not ?

It does a lot as a BD that is not friendly to India would help Pakistan a lot in the balance of power situation in South Asia.

A more powerful BD military would force India to devote more of their army, air-force and navy away from Pakistan and towards BD.

The question is that during the 1971 war when there was a civil strife in then East Pakistan, India decided to take advantage of the civil strige and invaded Pakistan against all international laws.
India invaded East Pakistan after Pakistan bombed 11 Indian air bases in a ridiculous raid. So it was Pakistan which invaded India first against all international laws, however ridiculous and ineffective that raid may have been.

The question is that during the 1971 war when there was a civil strife in then East Pakistan, India decided to take advantage of the civil strige and invaded Pakistan against all international laws. Their agenda was to disintegrate Pakistan while appealing to the eastern Pakistanis as their 'saviors', hence trying to score two hits with one shot.

Since the war is over and Bangladesh is now a free nation, i am interested in asking from the Bangladeshis on this forum, if or not today in 2013, they accept India as their 'savior' for invading in a domestic conflict of a sovereign nation, or not. What role does India play in the psyche and the history of Bangladesh for the Bangladeshi youth??

Please participate in a civil debate and the poll.

Best regards.

UN didn't support in this case in favor of Pakistan as most countries favored India on this,thanks to our elaborate political campaign.nor UN Security Council was favored Pakistan.and did we forgot the challenge thrown to India by Pakistani Diplomat(can't remember who was it,I'll find out and post it soon as it was shown in an documentary) when he performed the famous "Torn Up Pages in UN" stunt in front of the whole world???

by the way @Aeronaut

can't Indians participate in this pool.cause even I voted.

It does a lot as a BD that is not friendly to India would help Pakistan a lot in the balance of power situation in South Asia.

A more powerful BD military would force India to devote more of their army, air-force and navy away from Pakistan and towards BD.

So are you going to suggest more BD and Pakistan will form a alliance against India? Its like BD asking for a Suicide.!
There is a saying in India " Those who have the power to create something, have also the power to destroy it" .
There is always a Myanmar nearby to counter BD design , if you have forgot. Speaking here is more easy, than taking decision when in POwer. You need to balance all the nation, and there is no way BD can alienate India. Reason is simple: surrounded on 3 sides.
Its a great oppurtunity for BD reg trade and others. But its in BD's future hands.

Indians distorting the poll? LOL....how patriotic of them.

The question is that during the 1971 war when there was a civil strife in then East Pakistan, India decided to take advantage of the civil strige and invaded Pakistan against all international laws. Their agenda was to disintegrate Pakistan while appealing to the eastern Pakistanis as their 'saviors', hence trying to score two hits with one shot.

Which 'international laws' are you referring to at the time? It is a recorded fact that Pakistan did help out the Naga insurgency in north east India during the 60's.
http://books.google.com.bd/books?id=kREIzm_rULQC&pg=PA14&lpg=PA14&dq=pakistani help in naga insurgency&source=bl&ots=msiW9s_aNL&sig=hE3im5uaCCyP3m5of2N-N8M8HVI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Ao1yUvnOCMOKrQe-j4DYBQ&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=pakistani help in naga insurgency&f=false

Does that count as a violation of 'international laws'?

What India did was of-course to suit its self interests. Coupled with a bunch of wild propaganda. They were convinced that they had the upper hand, and so they intervened to finish the conflict quickly.

Had they not intervened, East Pakistan would have still separated, but more slowly. And of-course, given that the Mukti Bahini still had intelligence support from India.

Since the war is over and Bangladesh is now a free nation, i am interested in asking from the Bangladeshis on this forum, if or not today in 2013, they accept India as their 'savior' for invading in a domestic conflict of a sovereign nation, or not. What role does India play in the psyche and the history of Bangladesh for the Bangladeshi youth??

Please participate in a civil debate and the poll.

Best regards.

Bangladesh is not a free nation.

As the years passed by, I bore witness to the moral degradation of values within the greater Bangladeshi society. And that itself is a threat. A house divided is designed to fall.

Hey, the Sri Lankans can do it. And they didn't need a powerful military to do that. This "Indian Hegemony" is a nobody but some random school of fish waiting to get caught.

It is not India that's the problem, it's the Bangladeshis, and the powerful business and political elite themselves who are the problem. Those people in power developed themselves from the very ashes of what was left of East Pakistan, but their role was so much so, that they did not pose as great role models for the greater society. Since they started off early in a country starting from scratch, they had a certain monopoly.

If Bangladeshis were to stand by strong values, respect, freedom and discipline together before and now, India would not have been a factor at all in the first place. This in particular regards to the ruling elite. It is a small group of Bangladeshis who are working with the Indians so that they personally benefit.

Think about it, if Zia or Mujib were still alive today, nobody would have ever heard of Sheikh Hasina or Khaleda Zia. They'd still be gutting fishes in the kitchen where they originally belonged, and should still be doing.

i wanted to vote.... but i have no idea what my friends from bengladesh (not the PDFers) think.....:P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom