What's new

Once again, Army starts global hunt for a new-generation assault rifle

A true sniper rifle will always be bolt-action for me :P

It's not the gun, but its operational usage that makes the distinction. Or are we calling the M107 a DMR too:partay:?

1280px-Taskunit_engage_enemy.jpg

Actually, in this photo that's exactly what it's being used as, as its semi-auto makes it a potent rapid engagement weapon.

But it's still a large caliber precision rifle, and in this photo it's being used as a true sniper weapon system.

Barrett_M82A1.jpg

Alright, I'm taking the day off and going back to bed. Curse all of you!! And see you all when, or rather if I decide to wake up.

I know. I have a lot of stupid things I need to express from my brain. There's no greater depository of general stupidity on the internet then PDF, so I kind of float around from thread to thread adding what useless chunks of brain refuse I can to the heap:D.

And if I:

A) wasn't still tired.

B) didn't start my day with a bit of alcohol mixed with my morning coffee

I'd swear I was seeing stuff, because I swear I saw a "P.S" addended to your post:o:!! Fortunately for you I'm tired and slightly inebriated.

Nah, I'm not drunk yet. You actually did add a "P.S.", just wasn't visible when I was looking.

It's a battle rifle. Same as the G3 it often replaces. It's generally used operationally as either a DMR or true sniper rifle. However, as is commonly the case, different length barrels exist for the HK417 as well and nations, Australia mainly, use the type as their primary, and as an assault rifle, but only when paired with a short barrel.

1280px-thumbnail.jpg

As opposed to the longer barreled marksman versions.

SR060613006.t4fcc792c.m800.x72cec7bd.jpg

Ask @Nilgiri for an explanation, I've explained the HK417's usage enough to him recently and I'll be damn ashamed if he forgot already!

Pakistanis are also having hunt for assault rifle in replacement of G3...Most people are saying that FN-SCAR-H is most probably good and going to win tender...What do you say about it...Just curious to have your opinion. :D

https://defence.pk/threads/pakistans-service-rifle-replacement-competition-2016.426049/

It's not the gun, but its operational usage that makes the distinction. Or are we calling the M107 a DMR too:partay:?

1280px-Taskunit_engage_enemy.jpg

Actually, in this photo that's exactly what it's being used as, as its semi-auto makes it a potent rapid engagement weapon.

But it's still a large caliber precision rifle, and in this photo it's being used as a true sniper weapon system.

Barrett_M82A1.jpg

Alright, I'm taking the day off and going back to bed. Curse all of you!! And see you all when, or rather if I decide to wake up.

I'm just messin with ya.

But I have my preferences for long range. Semi auto action messes mah vibe hehe. Nothing beats the clean no-nonsense bolt action.....moving parts cycling around?, more "give" in the system?.....biatch please.

Last edited:
if ofb was a person,i would beat it to death.
too much?

H&K is a DMR not assault rifle ...so forgot abt HK417
Galil ACE is best
It's not pretty much a assault rifle both SCAR H and HK-417 are capable of firing 600 rounds per minute

Pakistanis are also having hunt for assault rifle in replacement of G3...Most people are saying that FN-SCAR-H is most probably good and going to win tender...What do you say about it...Just curious to have your opinion. :D

https://defence.pk/threads/pakistans-service-rifle-replacement-competition-2016.426049/
I am also hoping FN SCAR wins by the way I would be surprised if India doesn't include FN SCAR in trials

Ok , well can somebody explain to me the goods, and the bads of 5.56x45 NATO vs 7.62x51 for the main rifle for an Infantry of a national army.

Scar-H is very costly rifle sorry India cannot afford it

How? and why? you can't get Scar-H as you guys don't seems to have shortage of money...If that rifle is doing good among other contenders, India will go for it...

Ok , well can somebody explain to me the goods, and the bads of 5.56x45 NATO vs 7.62x51 for the main rifle for an Infantry of a national army.

Basically boils down to more stopping power per bullet for .308 (along with more recoil) compared to less stopping power but less recoil (and weight) for the .223.

The latter is often seen as an advantage given its still enough to incapacitate very effectively...and theres the line of argument that favours injuring (rather than killing) the enemy so it commits more resources potentially to recovering its casualties....and being able to carry more rounds overall for same amount of available payload.

About 3 rounds of .223 can be carried for every .308 round.....and 3 rounds of .223 definitely have the same or better level of lethality at general engagement ranges as one .308 does.

The .308 has better long range performance and hence its use in DMR/sniper platforms. Its also a lot better at ensuring one round completely stops/kills an enemy combatant at closer ranges....especially if they are on drugs...and will defeat more body armour than a .223 generally at the same range.

.223 bullets can be more lethal for flesh contact though given they can be designed to tumble or "explode" and have less chance of passing right through in certain areas of human body (which is less lethal).

Last edited:
42 lakh per piece and Iam talking military version

That's why it opted by mainly special units ground the world
It can't be 42 lakhs when you are buy with TOT even if you are buying from directly from company it cant' be 42 lacks. Not even close to 24 lakhs

It can't be 42 lakhs when you are buy with TOT even if you are buying from directly from company it cant' be 42 lacks. Not even close to 24 lakhs
Just check out how many Scar-H bought by US numbers are in thousands only for socom requiments I find Scar-L more affordable for Us in mass-production

Basically boils down to more stopping power per bullet for .308 (along whavetmore recoil) compared to less stopping power but less recoil (and weight) for the .223.

The latter is often seen as an advantage given its still enough to incapacitate very effectively...and theres the line of argument that favours injuring (rather than killing) the enemy so it commits more resources potentially to recovering its casualties....and being able to carry more rounds overall for same amount of available payload.

About 3 rounds of .223 can be carried for every .308 round.....and 3 rounds of .223 definitely have the same or better level of lethality at general engagement ranges as one .308 does.

The .308 has better long range performance and hence its use in DMR/sniper platforms. Its also a lot better at ensuring one round completely stops/kills an enemy combatant at closer ranges....especially if they are on drugs...and will defeat more body armour than a .223 generally at the same range.

.223 bullets can be more lethal for flesh contact though given they can be designed to tumble or "explode" and have less chance of passing right through in certain areas of human body (which is less lethal).

I just searched a bit and saw that the European NATO nations and other modern armies like that of Australia and others have/use the smaller round. We too use it in the INSAS while, our rivals In west have the heavier one.

I could not find and big or major advantage as two conventional armies taking each other in recent past.... hasn't happened.

So what happened that we are planning to change our standard? And if just 2 lakh soldiers use 7.62 While others use 5.56, won't it be an issue ? From logistics point of view ?

Back
Top Bottom