What's new

Once again, Army starts global hunt for a new-generation assault rifle

anant_s

Reaction score
Country
India
1.jpg

NEW DELHI: India re-launched on Tuesday its global hunt for new-generation assault rifles after similar attempts over the last decade failed due to unrealistic technical requirements and whiff of corruption, interspersed by debates on whether the gun should "kill" or merely "wound" adversaries.
Highlights
  • Similar attempts over the last decade have failed due to unrealistic technical requirements
  • The Army is looking to induct 65,000 rifles in the first go
  • The overall programme cost is slated to ultimately cross the $1 billion-mark
The project is going to be a mega one, with the Army looking to induct 65,000 rifles in the first go, with another 1,20,000 to be manufactured in India. This, of course, would be just the beginning for the 12-lakh strong Army, with the overall programme cost slated to ultimately cross the $1 billion-mark.

In the RFI (request for information) issued by the defence ministry on Tuesday, it was mentioned that the Army was seeking "a 7.62mm x 51mm assault rifle with lethality to achieve the objective of shoot-to-kill" to replace glitch-prone 5.56mm INSAS (Indian small arms system) rifle.

The broad parameters specify the light-weight rifles should have an effective range of 500-metre at the very minimum, with duly-optimised recoil to achieve "accuracy better than 3 minutes of angle up to a minimum range of 500-metre".

With multi-option telescopic sights, the rifles should also be capable of being fitted with the 40mm under-barrel grenade launchers manufactured by ordnance factory, Trichy. Compatible with visible laser-target pointers, holographic and other sights, the rifles should be "state-of-art" in terms of design, metallurgy and performance parameters to remain relevant for the next 25-30 years.

The RFI states the global tender or RFP (request for proposal) for the formal technocommercial bids will be floated in April 2017. It is bound to attract companies like Colt (US), Beretta (Italy), Sig Sauer (Europe), Ceska (Czech) and Israel Weapon Industries (IWI), which had also participated in the earlier tender.

As was first reported by TOI in May last year, the project was scrapped because of the Army's overambitious experiment to induct rifles with interchangeable barrels, with a 5.56x45mm primary barrel for conventional warfare and a 7.62x39mm secondary one for counter-terrorism.
Then, the Army commanders' conference last April had discussed whether the force required a 7.62mm rifle that "killed" or a 5.56mm rifle that "incapacitated" enemy soldiers. Subsequently, even as the Army rejected the 5.56x45mm Excalibur rifle offered by the DRDO-ordnance Factory Board combine, the decision was taken to go in for 7.62x51mm rifles with a higher kill probability.

Incidentally, other projects to get new close-quarter battle carbines, light machine guns, sniper rifles and the like for infantry battalions are also stuck in the long-winded procurement process.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ration-assault-rifle/articleshow/54553688.cms

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @hellfire @nair

http://indianarmy.nic.in/writereaddata/RFI/490/RFI Aslt Rif.pdf

here is the rfp

Indian Army seeks a 7.62mm x 51mm rifle with lethality to achieve the objective of ‘Shoot to Kill’ with the following broad characteristics:-
(a) Effective Range. Minimum 500 meters.
(b) Lethality. Lethality at ranges up to minimum 500 meters in terms of wound profile, energy transferred and penetration.
(c) Recoil. The recoil should be duly optimized to provide maximum comfort to the firer and shoot consistently with accuracy.
(d) Accuracy. The rifle should be capable of achieving accuracy better than three Minutes of Angle up to a range of minimum 500 meters.
(e) Reliability. The rifle shall be reliable in its operation as per international standards for reliability and withstand sustained fire.
(f) Weight. The rifle should be as light as possible in weight.
(g) Modular design.
(h) Capable of fitting and firing of Indian in-service UBGL manufactured by Indian Ordnance Factory, Trichy.
(j) Sight. The rifle should have integrated open sight and multi option telescopic sight.
(k) Compatibility with all modern sights and accessories and provision for mounting the same.
(l) In terms of design, metallurgy and performance parameters, the rifle and sight shall be ‘State of the Art’ in order to remain relevant for next 25 to 30 years.
(m) The rifle shall be capable of providing the desired performance across all spectrums of employment in the Indian terrain and climatic conditions.
(n) The rifle shall comply with the laid down MIL Standards and other International Standards in vogue.

4. Tentative date of issue of RFP is April 2017. Total Quantity required is approximately 1,85,000 Assault Rifles out of which the immediate requirement is of approximately 65000 rifles. The approximately quantity 65000 Assault Rifles should be delivered within four (04) months to twenty eight months (28) from the day of signing of the contract. The vendors should confirm if they can deliver requisite quantity of Assault Rifles within the stipulated timeframe.

Last edited:

Grr!! Stop validating my existence by liking all my posts:taz:!!

I'm having account troubles that are being troubleshooted at the moment and this account is nothing more then a temporary arrangement until stuff gets done.

Quit pretending I exist until I'm back to normal (uh, PDF normal. I'll never be normal, normal):pissed:!!

You butt:P. You did it anyway.

HK417, there. That'll be 9000 USD please.

fsj2bn-10.t55e99736.m800.x28b8d35e.jpg

Enjoy your rifle.

Before anyone asks, the civilian version of the HK417, the MR762 runs for about 4500 USD.

24599d1410574886-mr762-lrp-initial-impressions-20140909_075850.jpg

The militarized version runs for around 9000 USD per rifle, not including attachments.

Norway uses the HK417 as a DMR, not as a standard infantry rifle and its model + attachments totaled roughly 13,000 per unit.

%C3%B8116_Grebe2016_Brohaugfoto.t572070ba.m800.xe92adf56.jpg

If anyone has questions about why he's using lights, feel free to ask away, or if you've any other questions about marksmanship tricks.

SCAR-H, HK417, no rifle in this tender is going to be cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm having account troubles that are being troubleshooted at the moment and this account is nothing more then a temporary arrangement until stuff gets done.

Quit pretending I exist until I'm back to normal (uh, PDF normal. I'll never be normal, normal):pissed:!!

You butt:P. You did it anyway.

Norge STRONK!

i cant help it dear.. u r every where techno...:wave:
PS i liked that post as well :whistle:

i cant help it dear.. u r every where techno...:wave:

I know. I have a lot of stupid things I need to express from my brain. There's no greater depository of general stupidity on the internet then PDF, so I kind of float around from thread to thread adding what useless chunks of brain refuse I can to the heap:D.

And if I:

A) wasn't still tired.

B) didn't start my day with a bit of alcohol mixed with my morning coffee

I'd swear I was seeing stuff, because I swear I saw a "P.S" addended to your post:o:!! Fortunately for you I'm tired and slightly inebriated.

Nah, I'm not drunk yet. You actually did add a "P.S.", just wasn't visible when I was looking.

H&K is a DMR not assault rifle ...so forgot abt HK417

It's a battle rifle. Same as the G3 it often replaces. It's generally used operationally as either a DMR or true sniper rifle. However, as is commonly the case, different length barrels exist for the HK417 as well and nations, Australia mainly, use the type as their primary, and as an assault rifle, but only when paired with a short barrel.

1280px-thumbnail.jpg

As opposed to the longer barreled marksman versions.

SR060613006.t4fcc792c.m800.x72cec7bd.jpg

Ask @Nilgiri for an explanation, I've explained the HK417's usage enough to him recently and I'll be damn ashamed if he forgot already!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom