What's new

Oman to provide $45m for Gwadar airport

pkd

Reaction score
Oman to provide $45m for Gwadar airport

By Sajid Chaudhry

ISLAMABAD: Pak-Oman Joint Ministerial Commission (JMC) has decided that Oman would provide $45 million grant for construction of Gwadar International Airport and other development projects.

This has been agreed in the 6th session of Pak-Oman JMC which concluded here on Tuesday. It has also been decided that Oman Oil Company will make investment of $19.4 million in Pakistan’s energy sector.

The Pakistani delegation was headed by Hina Rabbani Khar, minister of state for finance and economic affairs, whereas Oman’s delegation was led by Mohammed Bin Nasser Al Khasibi, secretary general for Ministry for National Economy, Oman.

Addressing a joint media briefing, Khar said both sides had agreed to enhance collaboration between the trade bodies of Pakistan and Oman for promoting trade and investment. She said a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for establishment of Joint Business Council between Pakistan and Oman would be signed shortly.

“Working Groups of experts from both countries in the fields of commerce, agriculture, livestock and fisheries have been established to further enhance cooperation in these sectors,” she said adding that Oman will hire its additional requirement of manpower from Pakistan, on priority basis. State Minister said that Ministry of Labour and Manpower and the Omani Authority would sign an MoU soon to materialize the proposal.

She further added that Oman had sought assistance from Pakistan Railways for construction of Railways in Oman. “Pakistan will provide assistance in planning, designing, consultancy services, construction and operation of railways, etc,” she maintained.

Pakistani side requested support from Oman side for early finalization of Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with Gulf Cooperation Countries (GCC).The Omani side pledged to support Pakistan to ink FTA with GCC.

Mohammed Bin Nasser Al Khasibi, secretary general for Ministry for National Economy, Oman, said that the JMC meeting would open new ways of cooperation between two countries. “The formation of joint business council will result in enhancing people to people contact,” he said.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

here was the tender given during that time (June 12, 2010)...however I have not seen any thing materialize yet out of that money !!!

ngia_may28.jpg

wondering where the money went.....

apparently gwadar has significant importance with the omanis as they still have trade links there (makran coast)

and the current airport is absolutely not worth 45 million dollars !!!!!

g11-710555.jpg

the omanis realized this and hence offered us major things of interest in return

such as

• free trade agreement with the GCC
  • oman agreed to hire major man power from Pakistan on priority which was good for the economy
  • an omani oil company agreed to invest 19.4million dollars in our energy sector
the important point here is that inspite of uncertainties gwadars plans were not skipped out but rather affected by politics !!!

Last edited:
:lol:Pakistan world's biggest and smartest beggar at bagging cash.

I was just stunned for a moment when I read this report !!!!

and this was apparently something that could have lead to massive success as the airport could been at least capable of taking care of a large bodied aircraft :cray:

Arabs shall stop giving aid to Pakistani politicians, they should give this money to construction contractor directly.

Smart move :tup:. The Omanis know to get a piece of the action on the upcoming 'Singapore of South Asia' before the share price rockets.

the omanis share historic relations with the makran coastline :)

nothing to do with "cutting a piece of action" :P

As if 45 million dollars is such a big amount

We have airports being constructed/built with estimated cost of beteween 1 - 20 billion dollars nowadays.. it's just 0.045 billion dollars

As if 45 million dollars is such a big amount

We have airports being constructed/built with estimated cost of beteween 1 - 20 billion dollars nowadays.. it's just 0.045 billion dollars

dude in 1.5 billion dollars you can get a burj khalifa !!!!!

Burj_Khalifa.jpg

terminal 3 in dubai costed 4.55 billion dollars and terminal 3 is really something one would pump money for their own infrastructure....dont compare it with a give away :)

Well I would be ok with an airport size of Jinah International in Karachi

45 Million USD is no small change you can construct a fiarly large facility with that kind of money
Comparitively a shopping mall size project costs around 5 Million and these are fairly large buildings

For a building size of lets say 3 shopping mall 15 Million is sufficient , and 30 Million for any improvements and modernization effors.

I believe the runway already exists ? The money is purely for the enhcancement of Airport building itself

I have not been able to find the pictures of new airport facility

This I think is ok for now as things are in infancy

Gwadar-International-Airport.jpg

But with $45 Million dollars much more can be done

The Jinnah Terminal was completed in 1992 at a cost of US $100 million with inflation in mind that is around $200 Million now but that involved the runway construction no doubt etc

Last edited:
dude in 1.5 billion dollars you can get a burj khalifa !!!!!

terminal 3 in dubai costed 4.55 billion dollars and terminal 3 is really something one would pump money for their own infrastructure....dont compare it with a give away :)
I thought you would be comparing it to the airport, Ok lets compare it with International Airports in the region

RJIA, Hyderabad Airport, India: 560 million dollars

The Jinnah International Airport back in 1990 (23 years ago) cost us 100 million dollars.. The 100 million dollars of those days may be equivalent to 300-500 million dollars of today.

Now compare it with peanuts of Gwadar International Airport in 21st century

I thought you would be comparing it to the airport, Ok lets compare it with International Airports in the region

RJIA, Hyderabad Airport, India: 560 million dollars

The Jinnah International Airport back in 1990 (23 years ago) cost us 100 million dollars.. The 100 million dollars of those days may be equivalent to 300-500 million dollars of today.

Now compare it with peanuts of Gwadar International Airport in 21st century

ok agreed; but we cant expect one to bless us with a whole airport; but building a proper one is a need of the hour......nonetheless a descent building could have been built compared to this

gwadar3.jpg

the cost of construction in Pakistan is cheap as labor is cheap

every penny counts....even if it was 45 million where did it vanish ???

dont you find it shocking that no proof of investment can be seen !!!!!

ok agreed; but we cant expect one to bless us with a whole airport; but building a proper one is a need of the hour......nonetheless a descent building could have been built compared to this

gwadar3.jpg

the cost of construction in Pakistan is cheap as labor is cheap

every penny counts....even if it was 45 million where did it vanish ???

dont you find it shocking that no proof of investment can be seen !!!!!
I have not even see the runway yet. I think the number of travellers visiting Gwadar is very low as compared to any major city of Pakistan. So it may not be appropriate to use all the money for building the airport lounge. I am not sure about the status of this money, you have more pics of Gwadar Airport?

Having said that, 45 million dollars is not a huge investment... It's a big investment when you see it's about 450 crore rupees but pity when you see the other airport's construction cost is roughly 10 times more nowadays.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom