What's new

Oman to provide $45m for Gwadar airport

I believe the runway was already in place which is why there are flights going between Lahore - Gwadar or Gawadar - Karachi

Well I was thinking along the lines of Mega Shopping malls constructions airport lounges are nothing more then elaborated shopping malls with security scanners.

So for $45 Million dollars we shoud be able construct a pretty nice Airport (passenger facility) 40% the size of Jinnah International but with same quality

> All the marble is made in Pakistan (Give Subsidy)
> Get local workforce for construction work
> Bring in local companies to come in install some beautification trees and plants
and take care of the road construction

The present structure is not sufficient for a abitious project like Gwadar send out the wrong message

The building in picture can be constructed with 50,000 USD , I am no export in cost estimation for engineering projects but I am sure I can replicate the same building with $50,000 USD by private contractors

Last edited:
I have not even see the runway yet. I think the number of travellers visiting Gwadar is very low as compared to any major city of Pakistan. So it may not be appropriate to use all the money for building the airport lounge. I am not sure about the status of this money, you have more pics of Gwadar Airport?

Having said that, 45 million dollars is not a huge investment... It's a big investment when you see it's about 450 crore rupees but pity when you see the other airport's construction cost is roughly 10 times more nowadays.

gwadar1.jpg

gwadar2.jpg

DSC02427.JPG

DSC02426.JPG

Well we can hope for future review of the status of the gwadar airport , it certainly needs improvements, the airport does not matches the prestige or ambitions for the city or vision folks have for the economic corridor for GWADAR

We can still be proud of the new international airport being made in Islamabad
1-benazir-bhutto.jpg

921370_4915422126781_1514300067_o.jpg

Last edited:
I felt pitiful. :cray:

now do you get why 45 million would done at least some good to it
Building a runway is costly but truly the potential of corruption is always there in Pakistan. I can only pray that the corruption can be curtailed to 0 in Pakistan :cry:

Gwadar's airport size is ok for now but if we had $45 Million dollars grant , we could have constructed a much nicer facility

The present facility look no more then 50 Thousand Dollars

But it can be argued the money was spent on runway construction which can be a factor however , if we made Jinnah airport with 100 Million dollars , for 45 Million dollars we should have had a facity 50% size and quality of Jinnah airport in Karachi

Dolmen Mall project in Karachi probbaly cost 10 Million USD - 15 Million

Marble , lights, food court , escalators etc air conditioned ... a structure with life span of 30 years

2.7.1369371804.jpg

Last edited:
Gwadar's airport size is ok for now but if we had $45 Million dollars grant , we could have constructed a much nicer facility

The present facility look no more then 50 Thousand Dollars

But it can be argued the money was spent on runway construction which can be a factor however , if we made Jinnah airport with 100 Million dollars , for 45 Million dollars we should have had a facity 50% size and quality of Jinnah airport in Karachi

Dolmen Mall project in Karachi probbaly cost 10 Million USD - 15 Million
2.7.1369371804.jpg
Jinnah International Airport was developed in 1990 when USD was 21 rupees per USD
Gwadar International Airport is build after 20 or so years

The value of 100 million dollars back those may be as powerful as 400-500 million dollars of 2014

I believe a new airport by china is underconstruction in gwadar

wiki says

Pakistan anticipates Gwadar becoming a regional economic hub and, in preparation for this, has issued a directive for the development of New Gwadar International Airport. For this purpose, the CAA has earmarked 3000 acres (12 km²) of land 26 km northeast of the existing airport. The new airport is expected to cost $250 million. It will be given international status and operate under the open skies policy. In the meantime, there are plans at the existing airport to further facilitate the movement of wide-bodied aircraft.

I believe the pictures you guys shared above could be the pics of old airport. That was built in 1966?

Gwadar International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No we cant, interior sucks, Bathroom tiles are being used for ceiling

Gwadar is getting a new airport, construction begun long ago, you can see it from google maps.

ok thats good; any co-ordinates would be nice :)......place a marker on google earth and post the co-ordinates or view the airport on google maps and post the link of it (before posting verify the link)

wiki says

I believe the pictures you guys shared above could be the pics of old airport. That was built in 1966?

Gwadar International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this the current one and the new one was bound to be built by 2013 but now its mid 2014...no sign of current airport being able to take care of wide bodied aircraft !!!! :(

I believe a new airport by china is underconstruction in gwadar

as far as i know its bound to be constructed (not sure of the start up as i didnt see anything related to it)

Anybody have Information about CHINESE PENETRATION & DEVELOPMENT news ??
Reliable On-Ground Information??

Oman to provide $45m for Gwadar airport

By Sajid Chaudhry

ISLAMABAD: Pak-Oman Joint Ministerial Commission (JMC) has decided that Oman would provide $45 million grant for construction of Gwadar International Airport and other development projects.

This has been agreed in the 6th session of Pak-Oman JMC which concluded here on Tuesday. It has also been decided that Oman Oil Company will make investment of $19.4 million in Pakistan’s energy sector.

The Pakistani delegation was headed by Hina Rabbani Khar, minister of state for finance and economic affairs, whereas Oman’s delegation was led by Mohammed Bin Nasser Al Khasibi, secretary general for Ministry for National Economy, Oman.

Addressing a joint media briefing, Khar said both sides had agreed to enhance collaboration between the trade bodies of Pakistan and Oman for promoting trade and investment. She said a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for establishment of Joint Business Council between Pakistan and Oman would be signed shortly.

“Working Groups of experts from both countries in the fields of commerce, agriculture, livestock and fisheries have been established to further enhance cooperation in these sectors,” she said adding that Oman will hire its additional requirement of manpower from Pakistan, on priority basis. State Minister said that Ministry of Labour and Manpower and the Omani Authority would sign an MoU soon to materialize the proposal.

She further added that Oman had sought assistance from Pakistan Railways for construction of Railways in Oman. “Pakistan will provide assistance in planning, designing, consultancy services, construction and operation of railways, etc,” she maintained.

Pakistani side requested support from Oman side for early finalization of Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with Gulf Cooperation Countries (GCC).The Omani side pledged to support Pakistan to ink FTA with GCC.

Mohammed Bin Nasser Al Khasibi, secretary general for Ministry for National Economy, Oman, said that the JMC meeting would open new ways of cooperation between two countries. “The formation of joint business council will result in enhancing people to people contact,” he said.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan
Good this was necessary as they r going to supply indians gas and we must take this opportunity to offer them a better deal to make sure they dont succeed or atleast they gain very little from it.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom