What's new

In Oman, innovation meets tradition

Oman is a beautiful country, has good relationship with India......:tup:
Oman Army uses Indian INSAS rifles......just saying....:D

Best Arab nation in the world. Omanis are moderate, they live side by side. There is no sectarian bullshit in Oman. Awesome country. My father lived there for about 10 years and he has nothing but praise for Oman and its people.:tup:

@Jaanbaz

But Omanis are evil Arabs and Semites! How can you like them? They are most close to nearby Yemenis and Saudi Arabians of all Arabs as well!

How dare you?! The poor camel that you use as your avatar is even surprised by your action.

Best Arab nation in the world. Omanis are moderate, they live side by side. There is no sectarian bullshit in Oman. Awesome country. My father lived there for about 10 years and he has nothing but praise for Oman and its people.:tup:

Agreed. Oman is the best Arab country in the peninsula. Very pragmatic.

@Donatello bro i never judged the whole country based on my one friend. I just said that he was a calm guy. But i agree that you cant judge a country based on one guy.

From glittering mosques and towering mountains to frankincense and beekeeping, the Arab nation is embracing tourism while staying true to its 6,000-year-old history.

BBC - Travel - Oman

13087624027229174834_1.jpg

Mixing old and new
Oman, on the southeastern tip of the Arabian peninsula, attracts intrepid travelers. Al Alam, one of the Sultan’s eight palaces, offers a sense of Old Arabia in Muscat, the capital. (Karen Bowerman)
13087627337222657424_1.jpg

13087624937233321266_1.jpg

The welcomed stability of Oman
13403837551630572148_1.jpg

Visits often include a dhow cruise through the fjords at the tip of the Musandam Peninsula. (Karen Bowerman)
The airport in Muscat, the capital of Oman, operates at its own leisurely yet efficient pace. When you step into the heat you can understand why. It is a reflection of life here under Sultan Qaboos bin Said.

A banner at the airport reads, “Oman Air salutes Sultan Qaboos for 40 years of inspired leadership.” Before 1970 when he came to rule this country on the southeastern tip of the Arabian peninsula, the sultanate had just 5km of tarmac road, one hospital and three schools, for boys.

Today, thanks to an ambitious modernisation programme financed by oil, roads span across the country in all directions, schools (for both sexes) number more than a thousand and education and healthcare are free.

Now Oman is keen to welcome tourists and there are a handful of cities and regions that are attracting the more intrepid type of traveller.

Muscat is a modern, clean city with an opera house and numerous museums. But for a sense of Old Arabia, head to the old town section where two small Portuguese forts, Mirani and Jalali overlook Muscat Bay and Al Alam, one of the Sultan’s eight palaces.

The Grand Mosque in the Azaiba district contains a carpet in the main prayer hall that covers a staggering 5,000 sq m. It was woven in sections in Iran and took 600 women four years to sew it together. Yet it is the mosque’s crystal chandelier that steals the show -- all eight tons and 1,122 bulbs of it.

A 15 minute drive northwest from Old Muscat takes you to Muttrah. Stroll along the marble corniche and visit Muttrah souk, the oldest in Oman, with its labyrinthine alleyways and stalls selling Arabic coffee pots and khanjars -- carved sheathed daggers, part of the men’s traditional dress. Haggling is expected.

The most “accessible” desert from Muscat is Wahiba Sands, home to the Bedouins and 6,000-year-old dunes. It is a 90 minute drive south from the capital.

For any desert encounter, make sure you take a 4x4 and an experienced driver/guide. You can also try dune bashing (when 4x4s attack the dunes from all angles) or opt for a slightly less bumpy camel ride. Desert Nights Camp offers tented huts with all modern conveniences.

The rugged Hajar Mountains cut across the north of the sultanate and include Jebel Shams, the tallest mountain in Oman at 3,048m, and Wadi Nakr Gorge, popularly known as the country’s Grand Canyon. Roads pass traditional villages and oases rich in date palms.

The village of Al Hamra with its mud-brick houses is a must-see, as is its well-preserved falaj (irrigation) system that channels water from the mountains.

About an hour’s drive southeast of Al Hamra is Nizwa, the sultanate’s capital in the 6th and 7th Centuries and home to one of Oman’s 500 forts. Visit on a Friday morning to catch the livestock market – a rowdy, disorganised (but entertaining) affair. Behind it lie various souks selling vegetables, incense, silver and spices.

A 40 minute drive west takes you to Bahla Fort, a Unesco World Heritage site. It is worth seeing just from the outside, with its numerous gates and watchtowers, but the interior is currently closed for renovation work until early 2012.

The southernmost Dhofar region provides a different picture of Oman, especially during Khareef, the monsoon season, from June to early September, when coastal plains turn green and waterfalls stream down from the mountains. Famous for its frankincense trees, Dhofar is also home to the Empty Quarter, one of the largest deserts in the world. But the area is largely visited for its pristine beaches, scenery and archaeological sites. To reach the region, fly from Muscat to Salalah, Dhofar’s administrative capital.

Oman’s most northerly tip, the Musandam Peninsula, is the place to relax. It is separated from the rest of the sultanate by the UAE, so to avoid visas and border controls it is easiest to fly from Muscat to Khasab or take a six hour ferry ride.

Musandam’s mountains are impressive but prepare yourself for hairpin bends. Drive to Jebel Harim, the region’s tallest peak at 2,097m, and look out for the surprisingly lush Sayh Plateau where members of the Shihuh tribe look after donkeys and goats.

Most people’s visits include a dhow cruise through the fjords at the tip of the peninsula. With Iran just an hour away across the Strait of Hormuz you are likely to spot Iranian smugglers racing across the water in their speedboats. They bring goats to Khasab, sell them at the market and return with cigarettes. Port authorities turn a blind eye.

My cruise included a barbecue lunch of sardines and hammour fish which tasted meaty and a bit like red mullet. We passed small inlets, islands with stone fishing villages and snorkelled off Telegraph Island where the British laid the first telegraph cable from India to Iraq in 1864.

On the way back, our skipper, a teenage lad who occasionally nudged the throttle with his foot, gave a shrill whistle. Dolphins appeared, diving in and out of the water around us.

When to visit
The best time is during winter (October to March) when temperatures range from 25 to36 degrees. Citizens from most GCC, EU and US countries can buy a tourist visa, costing 6 rials, upon arrival at Muscat International airport. There are new visa requirements for Middle East GCC residents who work in what the Omani government calls “second tier” professions, so it is best to check before traveling.

BBC - Travel - The welcomed stability of Oman : Adventure, Oman

First Picture is Sultan Qaboos Mosque Muscat.

Second picture is Qasr Al Alam, Royal Guest House

Third Picture is Muttrah Souk

@Donatello bro i never judged the whole country based on my one friend. I just said that he was a calm guy. But i agree that you cant judge a country based on one guy.

I live in Muscat Oman and 2nd to my friend. Omani's are very gentle and polite peoples and they didn't harm anyone and they are very well behave. Amazing fact is that inside city speed limit is 100km/h and outside is 120km/h. In SA outside speed limit is 140km/h.

@Jaanbaz

But Omanis are evil Arabs and Semites! How can you like them? They are most close to nearby Yemenis and Saudi Arabians of all Arabs as well!

How dare you?! The poor camel that you use as your avatar is even surprised by your action.

There are a lot of negative stereotypes associated with a lot of races.

and Camels are adorable :3

You can't judge a nation by just one person.

That's true.

I mean, if India was judged by me it would be the most awesomest nation in the history of this planet.

Of course other Indians have to weigh it down by their own mediocrity.

Oman to lead Mideast tourism growth in 2014

6tlqte.jpg

Dubai, 14 hours, 10 minutes ago

Oman will lead the Middle East in the travel and tourism sector in 2014 with a 10.2 per cent growth amounting to RO1.08 billion ($2.8 billion) over the 2013 figures of RO982.8 million, a report said.

The country is well-positioned to post one of the most robust growth rates worldwide in the sector in the coming year, added the annual Travel and Tourism Economic Impact 2014 issued by the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), an international organisation of travel industry executives.

The surge in travel and tourism activities is expected to grow by 5.4 per cent per annum to Oman’s GDP to reach RO1.834 billion, by 2024, which is 3.9 per cent of GDP.

The WTTC’s annual report states that the total contribution of travel and tourism sector, including investments, supply chain and induced income impacts, amounts to twice its direct contribution to Oman’s GDP.

The sector’s total contribution the country’s GDP was RO 2.078 billion, a 6.4 per cent of the total GDP in 2013, which is expected to go up by 9.4 per cent to reach RO2.274 billion in 2014. By 2024, the total contribution of travel and tourism sector to Oman’s GDP is expected to rise by 5.5 per cent per annum to reach RO3.884 billion, which is 8.2 per cent of the GDP, according to the report.

Ghasi Humaid Al Hashmi, deputy director General of Tourism Promotion, Oman Ministry of Tourism, said: “We are delighted with The World Travel and Tourism Council’s annual Travel and Tourism Economic Impact 2014 report as it reflects Oman’s booming travel and tourism sector.”

“The construction of world-class hotels and resorts along with the development of a number of infrastructure projects in the aviation, road, rail and maritime sectors, including a $1.8 billion passenger terminal at the Muscat International Airport and transformation of the Port Sultan Qaboos in Muscat into a tourism and cruise ship precinct, are part of the government’s strategy to target more global targeted tourists.

“The growth in the travel and tourism sector will also result in the creation of more job opportunities in the sector, thus boosting chances of employment for Omanis, which will definitely have a positive effect on the country’s economy,” he added.

According to WTTC, in 2013, Oman’s travel and tourism sector supported 37,000 direct jobs (3.3 per cent total employment). It is expected to grow by 11.4 per cent to reach 41,000 jobs in 2014.

This is one of the strongest growth worldwide and the fastest in the Middle East, the report said.

It further added that in total, the travel and tourism sector gave employment to 72,000 people in 2013.

It is predicted to offer 79,500 jobs in 2014, an increase of 10.6 per cent, while by 2024 it will create 60,000 direct jobs, an increase of 3.9 per cent per annum over the next 10 years. – TradeArabia News Service

Oman to lead Mideast tourism growth in 2014

I am in Muscat, Oman since 2006 and just complete and get another two year visa today:yahoo::yahoo:

Oman's tourism records significant growth

MUSCAT, Oman - Oman's hospitality sector has recorded a significant growth in the first half of 2014 as the Ministry of Tourism (MOT) intensively promotes across the globe various tourist destinations in the country.

"The significant reason behind the increase in the number of hotel guests is the boost that the Ministry of Tourism provided by promoting the country's destinations and opening new opportunities for other countries to invest," said Rabih Zein, Cluster General Manager, Park Inn by Radisson Muscat and Park Inn by Radisson Hotel & Residence Duqm.

"As a hotelier, our role is to support the effort by promoting the country in various ways such us attending exhibitions, sales calls and marketing tactics and meeting the guests' expectations."

The total number of guests staying at four and five star hotels in the Sultanate of Oman witnessed a significant increase of 20.7 percent in the first half of 2014, totalling 368,764, when compared with 305,573 guests during the same period in 2013.

The total revenue for four and five star hotels also grew by 8.7 percent during the same period, rising to OMR86.337 million, compared with OMR79.459 million at the end of June 2013.

Occupancy rates also registered an increase of 5.3 percent, rising to 64.6 percent by the end of June 2014, compared with a 61.3 percent occupancy recorded during the same period in 2013, according to the "Main indicators for four and five star hotels" report issued by the National Centre for Statistics and Information (NCSI).

Oman's tourism records significant growth - eTurboNews.com

I am of the firm belief that KSA should take notice of what UAE (especially) and Oman are doing in terms of tourism. No need to look further away.

For more photos of Oman see this thread below, especially page 30 in that thread.

The Arabian Peninsula and Arab world in photos

Or page 2 and 3 in this very thread.

I am in Muscat, Oman since 2006 and just complete and get another two year visa today:yahoo::yahoo:

:cheers::enjoy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom