What's new

Oman says no to union of Gulf states

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Oman says no to union of Gulf states
  • Omani Foreign Minister Youssef bin Alawi bin Abdullah attends the IISS Regional Security Summit - The Manama Dialogue, in Manama, Bahrain, on Saturday. (Reuters)
AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE

Published — Sunday 8 December 2013

MUSCAT: Oman opposes upgrading the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) to a union of six nations, Muscat’s foreign minister said on Saturday.
The union issue is on the agenda of the GCC summit to be held on Tuesday in Kuwait.
“We are against a union,” Omani Foreign Minister Yusuf bin Alawi said at the Manama Dialogue in Bahrain.
The annual forum on security is also being attended by senior world officials including British Foreign Secretary William Hague and Pentagon chief Chuck Hagel.
Alawi was speaking after Saudi Assistant Foreign Minister Nizar Madani in a speech called on Gulf states to unify against dangers in the region.
“We will not prevent a union, but if it happens we will not be part of it,” Alawi told AFP on the sidelines of the gathering.
If the five other GCC members — Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar — decide to form a union, “we will simply withdraw” from the new body, he said.
Saudi Arabia’s idea of upgrading the GCC was first proposed in 2011 and supported by Bahrain. But because of reservations by some members, it was put on hold.
Kuwait and Qatar have since expressed their backing, but the UAE’s position on the proposal is not known.
Formed in 1981 as a buffer against Iran across the Gulf, the GCC states sit on around 40 percent of proven global crude reserves and around 25 percent of natural gas deposits.

Any strong reason why Oman and UAE are not supporting the union?
I tried searching on it,but haven't found anything to be called a significant reason for not supporting the union.

Any strong reason why Oman and UAE are not supporting the union?
I tried searching on it,but haven't found anything to be called a significant reason for not supporting the union.

Oman is more "Iran-Neutral" than any other country in the region and is determined to be as free of KSA influence than any of the others.

Oman is more "Iran-Neutral" than any other country in the region and is determined to be as free of KSA influence than any of the others.

And UAE???
I read somewhere that UAE backed out because the HQ of the union would have been in KSA.
Cant believe it though.

And in the UAE, Abu Dhabi would like to keep Iran's influence in check whereas Dubai does massive amounts of trade with Iran.

GCC = wars and hatred
Extrapolate please? What wars has the GCC been formally involved in? And how does it emanate hatred?

And UAE???
I read somewhere that UAE backed out because the HQ of the union would have been in KSA.
Cant believe it though.

As @justsomeguy has explained; UAE (notably Dubai) has a strong economic relationship with Iran. As a matter of fact; Dubai grew to prominence piggy-backing on Iran business
There is another thing, the UAE is not a completely united Monolith either. Even Abu Dhabi and Dubai have their in-built rivalries.

There is another thing, the UAE is not a completely united Monolith either. Even Abu Dhabi and Dubai have their in-built rivalries.

I knew that...
Burj Dubai was named Burj Khalifa overnite.Heard Abudhabi had lent enough money to Dubai during recession.Another incident would be when recently the "emirates road" of Dubai changed its name to Sh.Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan(of Abudhabi)

And many other such incidents.Dubai was humiliated by AbuDhabi during recession and vice versa pre recession.

A greater incentive might will make re-consider their objection? Human nature to always ask " what is in it for me"

Making it impossible to read on road signboards

Lol...
I must confess the first time my GPS called emirates road "Sh.Mohd Bin Zayed road" I was left confused for sometime amidst the Dubai traffic.:what:

Well done Oman :tup:

Oman is one of the GCC's rational actors that dont suffer from same level of Iranophobia, as the rest.

Makes sense.

Look at history, the Omani sultan regime and the Saudi kingdom regime have had tensions decades ago, the Saudi regime supported an opposition against the sultan but it failed. ( Dhofar Rebellion & Jebel Akhdar War )

Last edited:
Makes sense.

Look at history, the Omani sultan regime and the Saudi kingdom regime have had tensions decades ago, the Saudi regime supported an opposition against the sultan but it failed.

Oman is the only neutral state of GCC towards Iran, it has very good relations with us, and unconfirmed news state that it has played as mediator between Iran and U.S.

Iran also helped to put down the rebellion against Sultan Qabus.

Dhofar Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oman is the only neutral state of GCC towards Iran, it has very good relations with us, and unconfirmed news state that it has played as mediator between Iran and U.S.

Iran also helped to put down the rebellion against Sultan Qabus.

Dhofar Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thats true.

Oman has always tried to maintain a low-key but neutral stance in International Affairs.
That is the reason that Oman has had a continuing Long-Term relationship with India also.

Back
Top Bottom