What's new

Olive and olive oil production in KSA

Agricultural Achievements

The 1970s marked the beginning of serious agricultural development in the Kingdom.

The government launched an extensive program to promote modern farming technology; to establish rural roads, irrigation networks and storage and export facilities; and to encourage agricultural research and training institutions.

The result has been a phenomenal growth in the production of all basic foods. With substantial amounts of meat, milk, and eggs, Saudi Arabia is now completely self-sufficient in a number of foodstuffs.

The increased food production brought about a proportional decline in food imports; and in fact Saudi Arabia now exports wheat, dates, dairy products, eggs, fish, poultry, vegetables and flowers to markets around the world.

Intensive dairy, meat, poultry and egg farming were all introduced early in the program, and already by 1985, local farms were satisfying domestic demand for many products previously imported. The Kingdom now has some of the most modern and largest dairy farms in the Middle East. Milk production boasts a remarkably productive annual rate of 1,800 gallons per cow, one of the highest in the world.

While fish production through traditional off-shore fishing has been constantly on the increase, the Kingdom is exploring ways of further increasing its catch and encouraging greater private investment.

One of the new areas in which the private sector is investing with government support is aquaculture. The number of fish farms, either using pens in the sea or tanks onshore, has been increasing steadily. Most are located along Saudi Arabia's Red Sea coast. Shrimp farming has been particularly successful. The National Shrimp Company 'Al-Rubian', for example, has a farm south of Jeddah managed by Saudi hydro-biologists and marine engineers, whose shrimp, including the preferred black tiger, is exported mainly to the United States and to Japan.

The Kingdom's most dramatic agricultural accomplishment, noted worldwide, was its rapid transformation from importer to exporter of wheat. In 1978, the country built its first grain silos. By 1984, it had become self-sufficient in wheat. Shortly thereafter, Saudi Arabia began exporting wheat to some thirty countries, including China and the former Soviet Union, and in the major producing areas of Tabuk, Hail and Qasim, average yields reached 3.6 tons per acre.

In addition, Saudi farmers grow substantial amounts of other grains such as barley, sorghum and millet. Today, in the interest of preserving precious water resources, production of wheat and other grains has been considerably reduced.

The Kingdom has, however, stepped up fruit and vegetable production, by improving both agricultural techniques and the roads that link farmers with urban consumers. Saudi Arabia is a major exporter of fruits and vegetables to its neighbors. Among its most productive crops are watermelon, grapes, citrus fruits, onions, squash and tomatoes. At Jizan in the country's well-watered southwest, the Al-Hikmah Research Station is producing tropical fruits including pineapples, paw-paws, bananas, mangoes and guavas.

This agricultural transformation has altered the country's traditional diet, supplying a diversity of local foods unimaginable a few generations ago. Dates are no longer the vital staple for Saudi Arabians that they were in the past, although they still constitute an important supplementary food. Much of the annual production of dates, estimated at around half a million tons and comprising some 450 different kinds, is used as international humanitarian aid.

Several factories, including one in Al-Hasa, are dedicated entirely to the production of dates for foreign aid and donate tens of thousands of tons of dates each year to relieve famine and food shortages, mainly through the World Food Program (WFP) of the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Many countries have directly benefited from Saudi Arabia's food aid offered through the WFP, and the Kingdom is second only to the United States in contributions to the program.

d972c9e4db8f00386b780873830045a9.jpg

(the watermelons of Buraydah are arguably some of the largest and tastiest in the world)

TkvxTas.jpg

(I once did not like pomegranate but today I cannot get enough of it)
Saudi Arabian agricultural products whether fruits, vegetables, diary products, livestock etc. are of a very high quality and they have a good reputation in the Arab and Muslim world. Unfortunately the agricultural sector is not receiving enough of support and farming is challenged like in many countries across the world. Agriculture should be supported on a much, much larger scale than currently done. There are many struggling farmers and farms. This must change. People should learn to love their land and care for it and not be wasteful. Those are all Islamic values that many people have completely forgotten like much else in the modern world.

Opinions @alarabi @azzo @Bubblegum Crisis @Full Moon @الأعرابي @Frosty etc.

Last edited:
I use olive oil from AL Jouf and its fantastic...i consume about 1 to 1.5 liters a month as a food additive and it gives you the perfect balance of fats in your body..far more healthy than eating butter or cooking oil...i tend to reduce my consumption of cooking oil..and often i will filter the food after cooking to remove the oil...

The 1970s marked the beginning of serious agricultural development in the Kingdom.

The government launched an extensive program to promote modern farming technology; to establish rural roads, irrigation networks and storage and export facilities; and to encourage agricultural research and training institutions.

The result has been a phenomenal growth in the production of all basic foods. With substantial amounts of meat, milk, and eggs, Saudi Arabia is now completely self-sufficient in a number of foodstuffs.

The increased food production brought about a proportional decline in food imports; and in fact Saudi Arabia now exports wheat, dates, dairy products, eggs, fish, poultry, vegetables and flowers to markets around the world.

Intensive dairy, meat, poultry and egg farming were all introduced early in the program, and already by 1985, local farms were satisfying domestic demand for many products previously imported. The Kingdom now has some of the most modern and largest dairy farms in the Middle East. Milk production boasts a remarkably productive annual rate of 1,800 gallons per cow, one of the highest in the world.

While fish production through traditional off-shore fishing has been constantly on the increase, the Kingdom is exploring ways of further increasing its catch and encouraging greater private investment.

One of the new areas in which the private sector is investing with government support is aquaculture. The number of fish farms, either using pens in the sea or tanks onshore, has been increasing steadily. Most are located along Saudi Arabia's Red Sea coast. Shrimp farming has been particularly successful. The National Shrimp Company 'Al-Rubian', for example, has a farm south of Jeddah managed by Saudi hydro-biologists and marine engineers, whose shrimp, including the preferred black tiger, is exported mainly to the United States and to Japan.

The Kingdom's most dramatic agricultural accomplishment, noted worldwide, was its rapid transformation from importer to exporter of wheat. In 1978, the country built its first grain silos. By 1984, it had become self-sufficient in wheat. Shortly thereafter, Saudi Arabia began exporting wheat to some thirty countries, including China and the former Soviet Union, and in the major producing areas of Tabuk, Hail and Qasim, average yields reached 3.6 tons per acre.

In addition, Saudi farmers grow substantial amounts of other grains such as barley, sorghum and millet. Today, in the interest of preserving precious water resources, production of wheat and other grains has been considerably reduced.

The Kingdom has, however, stepped up fruit and vegetable production, by improving both agricultural techniques and the roads that link farmers with urban consumers. Saudi Arabia is a major exporter of fruits and vegetables to its neighbors. Among its most productive crops are watermelon, grapes, citrus fruits, onions, squash and tomatoes. At Jizan in the country's well-watered southwest, the Al-Hikmah Research Station is producing tropical fruits including pineapples, paw-paws, bananas, mangoes and guavas.

This agricultural transformation has altered the country's traditional diet, supplying a diversity of local foods unimaginable a few generations ago. Dates are no longer the vital staple for Saudi Arabians that they were in the past, although they still constitute an important supplementary food. Much of the annual production of dates, estimated at around half a million tons and comprising some 450 different kinds, is used as international humanitarian aid.

Several factories, including one in Al-Hasa, are dedicated entirely to the production of dates for foreign aid and donate tens of thousands of tons of dates each year to relieve famine and food shortages, mainly through the World Food Program (WFP) of the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Many countries have directly benefited from Saudi Arabia's food aid offered through the WFP, and the Kingdom is second only to the United States in contributions to the program.

d972c9e4db8f00386b780873830045a9.jpg

(the watermelons of Buraydah are arguably some of the largest and tastiest in the world)

TkvxTas.jpg

(I once did not like pomegranate but today I cannot get enough of it)
Saudi Arabian agricultural products whether fruits, vegetables, diary products, livestock etc. are of a very high quality and they have a good reputation in the Arab and Muslim world. Unfortunately the agricultural sector is not receiving enough of support and farming is challenged like in many countries across the world. Agriculture should be supported on a much, much larger scale than currently done. There are many struggling farmers and farms. This must change. People should learn to love their land and care for it and not be wasteful. Those are all Islamic values that many people have completely forgotten like much else in the modern world.

Opinions @alarabi @azzo @Bubblegum Crisis @Full Moon @الأعرابي @Frosty etc.

I love these posts bro. Good to see farming doing so well in the Hijaz. Is there much of an export industry?

https://www.revealnews.org/article/what-california-can-learn-from-saudi-arabias-water-mystery/

not sure how long KSA can continue sucking up all that water underground. somethings got to give.

Things have turned for the better since then and although rainfall is in general sparse in KSA most of the agricultural areas of KSA have sufficient enough rainfall to not rely on solely groundwater.

Besides successful projects such as those below all across the country help as well.

His YouTube page:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxjMsq0OEpNWM1N6UpSlROA

He is an American I believe but he is doing a great amount of work nevertheless.

Likewise as technology will improve so will the effectiveness of the agricultural sector not to forget that KSA is located on the world's largest peninsula (Arabian Peninsula) and that KSA has an over 3000 km long coastline. Surrounded by sea on both sides of the country. Once seawater desalination (KSA is leading on that front already) becomes cheaper and more effective, a lot of groundwater problems can be solved.

eye opening thread. thanks

You are welcome @Tiger Genie

I am not saying this due to bias but Saudi Arabian agricultural products are really of a high quality. You should try to buy some Saudi Arabian or Arab products in the US.

Especially fruit juices in KSA are amazing. Since alcohol is banned all other beverages are given an extra care and touch. Whether coffee (originates in Arabia as a drink and is a native plant to Arabia and Horn of Africa), tea or juices of all kind.

AlMarai (one of the largest dairy companies in the world and the largest in the MENA region) for instance makes fantastic dairy products and juices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almarai

Currently I have almost become addicted to their pomegranate juice, lol.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway since there are 3.5 million Arab Americans in the US and given the fact that there are Arab food stores, markets and restaurants in most American cities of a given size, you should venture into that territory and explore Arab cuisine on your own. Arab shop owners and employees are usually very helpful in this regard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Americans

The Syrian dishes shown in the video below are found in almost every other Arab country and can be considered as pan-Arab dishes.

Likewise with the vast majority of the Lebanese dishes shown in this video below, which I can recommend you to watch.

Same with this Saudi Arabian YouTuber:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SaudiFoodWithEman/videos

This Yemeni YouTuber as well:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ShebaYemeniFood/videos

Also if you live in or close to Virginia I can recommend this Saudi Arabian (Najdi) restaurant as I have heard very good things about it. You can see the menu on their webpage and there are many photos of dishes as well. Ramadan is a good time to visit Arab restaurants in due to the huge number of dishes at display.

http://aldeerah.us

Lastly I know Indian/South Asian cuisine well and there is quite a lot of similarity between the cuisines found in that part of the world and Arab cuisine, in particular the one found in the Arabian Peninsula. More than any other region in the MENA region.

I use olive oil from AL Jouf and its fantastic...i consume about 1 to 1.5 liters a month as a food additive and it gives you the perfect balance of fats in your body..far more healthy than eating butter or cooking oil...i tend to reduce my consumption of cooking oil..and often i will filter the food after cooking to remove the oil...

It is of high quality indeed. In fact the olive tree is native to the Northern regions of KSA which are just next to Sham which is otherwise famous for its olive oil and olives. There is not much of a difference in terms of taste when it comes to Saudi Arabian olives and olive oil and nearby Shami. In fact I would claim that Saudi Arabian olive oil and olives have more of a taste due to the slightly warmer touch of the sun.;)

Ghee, which admittedly is used too much in Arab and South Asian cuisine although it tastes good (we all know this!) and various cooking oils should be used less and more people should use olive oil as it is much healthier.

I love these posts bro. Good to see farming doing so well in the Hijaz. Is there much of an export industry?

It is my pleasure brother. Actually this thread contains photos from all over KSA but mostly the Northern regions (where most of the olives grow outside of the mountain ranges in mainly Hijaz and the Southern regions), Hijaz, parts of Najd (contrary to popular belief many regions in Najd are fertile and likewise have great agricultural products, the provinces of Ha'il and Al-Qassim for instance - you can read about that online if you want to), Southern provinces and the Eastern region (rice).

Well, in regards to exports most is explained here below.

https://www.saudiembassy.net/print/...iculture_water/Agricultural_Achievements.aspx

Many Saudi Arabian products such as fruits, vegetables, dairy products (AlMarai in particular which is one of the largest dairy firms in the world - see post 78) and livestock are exported to mostly the Arab world and Muslim countries but also the West.

However farming (private owned) is a struggling business in KSA in many ways as more and more crops are outsourced abroad to countries such as Ethiopia etc. where it is much cheaper to grow wheat, rice etc. Not long ago (1 decade ago) KSA was self-sufficient in almost every field in terms of agriculture (aside from rice and few other popular crops) but it was a costly affair and a lot of water was required (groundwater mostly) so it was not feasible on the long run. I mean KSA was exporting wheat to the USSR, USA etc. on a large scale. KSA was the 6th largest wheat exporter a few decades ago.Today it is the other way around. Besides water is sparse in most regions of KSA as is the case in most of the MENA region.

Anyway I hope that the weather will turn in the future (Arabia was once very fertile not that long ago) and if not that seawater desalination will become cheaper and more effective so the huge areas of KSA where farming is not possible currently, can turn into fertile lands. The good thing is that we have an over 3000 km long coastline and on both size since KSA is located on the world's largest peninsula.

However the agricultural areas that we have (they are large compared to other countries simple due to the size of KSA - it is the 12th largest country in the world) are great and almost everything can grow in those places but based on percentage of land in KSA those areas are not big.

I hope that this was a sufficient answer otherwise I can recommend to read that article that I posted in post 78 and here now again.:enjoy:

Anyway let me wish you a blessed and happy Eid al-Fitr to you and your loved ones.

@somebozo brother, are you also a fan of AlMarai's products and their juices?:lol::D

Last edited:
I was in Germany recently and to my surprise I saw Saudi Arabian olive oil, olives, dairy products (Almarai), yoghurt, traditional cheeses and several fruits and vegetables. Totally unexpected. Dates too of course but they are always there. Granted it was a bazar/market and "ethnic shops" but I even noticed a few food products from KSA in more mainstream grocery stores. The situation has been similar in several European countries. Very good to see.

I guess there will be more of that with 1 million Syrians having arrived and the already quite numerous Arab community in Germany.

@alarabi @Decisive Storm @الأعرابي @azzo @Bubblegum Crisis

The olive harvest in KSA will start late next month (October) and in November. I am curious to hear if the output this year will be greater than last year. The summer this year has been the hottest that I can recall.

I somebody is interested in getting to know a tiny bit of Saudi Arabian cuisine I can recommend this Saudi Arabian female youtuber. Her English is good and she seems like a cheerful person. I have enjoyed watching some of her videos.

Her channel is called "Saudi Food with Eman".

She has dozens of "Hajj recipes".

Her latest video:

In general Saudi Arabian cuisine is similar to mainstream Arab/Middle Eastern cuisine but there are quite a few dishes that I have seen nowhere else. Not even in other GCC states, neighboring Iraq, Yemen, Egypt and Jordan. However I imagine that once not that long ago every city, village, even families, clans, tribes etc. had their own distinct dishes. Today there are mostly only regional differences as the cuisine becomes uniform like everywhere else in the world. A bit of a shame as I suspect that the oldest living generation can tell us many secrets in this regard.

For instance I recall reading an article on Aramco years ago telling about desert truffles that were/are apparently considered a delicacy among the almost extinct but ancient and proud Bedouins. It caught my attention as their taste is apparently very similar to the truffles that Italy and France are so famous for.

Here it was:

Desert Truffles Galore

Written and photographed by John Feeney

There is nothing quite like a truffle to stir up an air of mystery. It's in their nature.Theophrastus, a pupil of Aristotle's, referred to truffles in 500 BC as "a natural phenomenon of great complexity, one of the strangest plants, without root, stem, fiber, branch, bud, leaf, or flower." They grow completely out of sight, below the surface of the soil, and no one can predict exactly where they will grow, or when. All of them grow wild: No one has ever managed to grow them under cultivation, despite continuing efforts. And the treasured desert truffle of the Middle East, it is widely believed, is spawned by lightning and a clap of thunder. But don't let this put you off. If a basket of desert truffles should come your way, you should know that they make delicious eating. Wrinkled and gnarled when dug up, and slightly perfumed, they look for all the world like bruised, lobed potatoes, wizened walnuts or dried prunes. Their appearance is of course deceptive-part of the mystique.

Brown, black, creamy white, sometimes pink, there are more than 30 varieties, all members of the Terfezia or Tirtnania genera, cousins of the white, fragrant truffles (Tuberspp.) of Piedmont, Alba and Umbria and the "black pearls of Perigord" that grow around the roots of European oak and hazelnut trees.

If you can only find them, desert truffles lie in wait in arid areas all around the Mediterranean, especially along the North African coast from Morocco to Egypt and farther east across the great desert plain from Damascus in Syria to Basra in Iraq. In all this vast region of the earth, you will find few, if any, surface signs to show you where the truffles are hiding—yet in all these regions, people gather truffles for food.

Truffles go by different names in different places. In Morocco they are called terfez—probably the source of the Latin botanical name. In Egypt the Bedouin of the Western Desert call them terfas. The Kuwaitis call them fagga, the Saudis faq', and in Syria they are known by their classical Arabic name, kamaa. Iraqis call them kamaa, kima or chima, depending on local dialects, and in Oman they are either faqah or zubaydi. In the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, where they are found mainly between Nu'ayriyah and Qaysumah, and also near Safaniya, local names are also used, and two varieties are best-known: Khalasi are oval with a black skin and a pinkish-ivory interior, and have a nut-like flavor that many think makes them the very best. However, after years of enjoying many varieties of Saudi truffles, I favor the second major type, the cream-colored zubaydi, which is usually more expensive, but which offers a more delicate flavor.

Usually no more than a few centimeters across, but occasionally the size of a fist, desert truffles are light in the hand, typically weighing from 30 to 300 grams (1-10 oz). A Bedouin truffle-gatherer told me, "The number and size of the truffles are influenced by the force of thunderclaps." And in fact, there is a connection, for the rains must be just right during October and November to start the truffles germinating. Too much rain at the wrong time can rot the truffle spores. Then the weather must remain dry during January, followed by a light shower or two in the spring to bring on the truffles in February and March. Altogether, researchers have found, as little as 200 to 250 millimeters of rain (8-10") can produce a good crop, and when there is less, experienced truffle-gatherers know to look preferentially in hollows and other places that may dry out more slowly.

They also know to look for certain plants that are symbionts of the desert truffle, especially shrubby grasses of the Helianthemum genus—relatives of the common rock rose cultivars of North America. Desert truffles are often found nearby. Fungal filaments of the truffle penetrate the roots of the other plant—sometimes reaching as far as 40 centimeters (15") to do so—and obtain nourishment from it; in return, researchers speculate, the truffle produces a substance that inhibits competing plants.

Provided all the circumstances are right, the truffles are ready to be plucked from the sand—if you know where to look. And if the truffles themselves are shyly hidden, the truffle-gatherers of Egypt's Western Desert and Saudi Arabia's Eastern Province are downright secretive. Information on where truffles might be found is kept in the dark, under the surface, sub rosa—just like the truffles themselves.

But you might get a few hints, along the lines of "Where the desert rag-rug flower grows," or instructions that the best times of day to go in search of truffles are at the bewitching hours of sunrise or sunset, when any slight rise in the sand casts a shadow that indicates a truffle might be hiding nearly a hand's breadth below. Perhaps it is best left to those who know the trade well, for you can get desert truffles at many markets throughout the Middle East, if you inquire and learn when to go.

Even before searching or buying, you ought to know what kind of taste you are in for. European truffles, prized for their intoxicating aroma, can impart a delicate flavor to terrines of foie gras, poultry, scrambled eggs and soufflés. The truffles of the desert are not so strongly flavored, but as they grow much more prolifically than their European cousins, they can be used in much greater volume. I once enjoyed, in a humble restaurant in Damascus, a whole plateful of raw, sliced black desert truffles as a salad, dressed in olive oil and lemon. Now where, in all of Europe, could you enjoy such a thing? It would cost a king's ransom. With the desert truffle, however, even people of relatively modest means can splurge on a kilo or two to make a Cream of Desert Truffle Soup—a gourmet's delight if ever there was one.

Relished by the rich and famous from the earliest times, desert fungi were served to the pharaoh, papyrus writings tell us. Three thousand years later, the tables of the Fatimid caliphs in Cairo were graced with truffles gathered from the nearby Muqattam Hills. In 1835, the English historian Edward Lane noted that "truffles were sold in such quantities in Cairo's souks that far from being choice dainties they had become cheap and common."

But alas, desert truffles have long since been swept off Muqattam by urban sprawl, and today few Egyptians have ever even heard of them. A search in the Egyptian Agricultural Museum's library failed to turn up a single reference to Terfezia, let alone terfas.

But Khamis 'Abd Allah Briek belongs to a Bedouin family in Marsa Matruh, a town on the Mediterranean coast and a center for truffle-gathering in Egypt. He remembers when his father taught him how to hunt for them: "At the same time as hunting for birds and gazelle, we would gather a basket of terfas and roast them in the ashes of our nightly coffee fire." He is also quick to point out that truffle-gathering in Egypt (and Libya) is not without peril: Large areas of the coastal desert were mined in World War II, and more than one truffler has been injured in an encounter with unexploded ordnance. More recently in Kuwait, some aspect of the 1990-1991 Gulf War seems to have ruined many truffle-gathering areas, and there have been reports of Kuwaitis crossing the border to try their luck in truffling areas of Saudi Arabia.

Once found and brought to the surface, desert truffles have two enemies, sunlight and humidity, and the only way to deal with these is speed. Four to five days out of the sand, truffles are past their peak. You cannot keep them in plastic bags, nor can you store them in the refrigerator. They just don't like either one. Keep your truffles in a deeply shaded room, and blow a current of cool air over them, say the truffle merchants of Marsa Matruh.

Headed for Marsa Matruh in his half-ton truck, a modern Bedouin truffler, having braved the terrors of decades-old land mines, will generally alert the truffle merchants of his imminent arrival by mobile phone. Until he calls, no one will have had any idea when to expect truffles in the market, but once word is received, excitement grows. "The truffles are coming!"

Within 20 minutes of their late-afternoon, arrival, the precious crates are quickly transferred and whisked off to Cairo. At dawn the next morning, the truffles are in air cargo holds, and by that afternoon they are being hawked in markets in Abu Dhabi, Doha, Kuwait and Riyadh, in time for them to be on dinner tables just 24 hours after their arrival in Marsa Matruh.

Part of the mystique of truffles is, of course, their often extravagant cost. On a recent television food program, chef Antonio Carlucci of London's Neal Street Restaurant looked at the diamond-and-gold brooch on his hostess's blouse and estimated, "Your brooch, Madame, is worth less than my truffles." In London, in 1993, a kilogram (2.2 Ib) of the "black pearls of Perigord" sold—wholesale—for $1450. The same year, in Bologna, Italian truffles fetched $2200 a kilo. Those, however, were forest truffles of the Tuber genus; Terfezia truffles sold last year in Riyadh for $80 to $105 a kilo, and in recent years have reached no higher than $270. This year, however, from Morocco to the Gulf, it has been an exceptional, unprecedented season for desert truffles and, market forces being what they are, they were selling in Riyadh for a mere 100 riyals ($26.75) a kilo.

So once you have come upon your truffles, by a long day's scruffling in the sand or by a timely trip to the market, you need to know what to do in the kitchen. First, keep in mind that desert truffles should never be cooked too much—no more than a few minutes. Roasting them in campfire ashes remains one cooking method, and the Kuwaitis like to boil them in camel's milk or roast them in melted butter. Lacking a campfire or a camel, however, western gourmets prefer to boil them in cow's milk and I tend to agree.

Before I impart my original and heretofore secret recipe—everything about truffles is secret—for Cream of Desert Truffle Soup, let me digress a moment and give you a true truffle story: One morning, I visited Fauchon, Paris's most exclusive food store, in the Place de la Madeleine. I was "just looking"—I could hardly afford a thing on the shelves. I came upon an opulent-looking American lady talking to a store assistant. The man leapt to a nearby glass cabinet and brought out a palm-sized can. "Yes... yes, that's the one," the lady said, and the assistant replied, "Does Madame know the can is now 400 francs [$60]?" The lady sighed, "You know, monsieur, yesterday my sister came into the living room from the kitchen and said to me, 'I found some old prunes in your refrigerator, so I threw them out.'"

Having laid your hands on a kilo of desert truffles, brown, black, pink or white—it won't matter, really—and having paid the price, don't dilly-dally. Get busy, for your truffles will only last a day or so, and concoct a disarmingly simple Cream of Desert Truffle Soup or, if having the title in French adds to your sense of truffle mystique, Creme de Truffe du Désert. And don't let anyone throw out your "old prunes."

Filmmaker, writer and photographer John Feeney, a native of New Zealand, has seen many a truffle season during the nearly four decades he has lived in Cairo.

Crème de Truffe du Désert
For this recipe you'll need not only a basket of white desert truffles, but also a female camel. If the camel isn't handy, substitute whole milk or, even better, light cream.

Ingredients

9 or 10 medium-sized white desert truffles, very fresh
4 cups whole milk or light cream
1 small onion, peeled and roughly chopped
2 or 3 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
4 more cups whole milk or light cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons white all-purpose flour
1 beef bouillon cube
1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
1/4 tablespoon unsalted butter
3/4 cup light cream

Instructions

1. Immerse the truffles in cold water for 10 minutes. Throw out the water and loose sand and cover them with water again. Repeat. Gently massage each truffle under running water with your fingers, then scrub them gently with a vegetable or mushroom brush and rinse. Scrub and rinse again. Now, some will tell you never to peel a truffle and to take out the remaining specks of sand with a fine-pointed knife. Nonsense! Much of the sand is invisible, so there is only one way to get rid of it. Peel the truffles very finely—but don't throw away the peelings: They are very rich in flavor and add a deft light-brown tinge to the soup. Barely cover the peelings with milk (quantity not included above) and simmer for 10 minutes. Let them stand so that some, if not all, of the remaining fine sand sinks to the bottom. Cool. Gently pour off the milk, leaving the sand behind. Discard the peelings and set aside the milk they were cooked in.

2. Roughly chop all but two of the peeled truffles. Put the onion and garlic in the first four cups of milk and bring it to a boil. Boil for five minutes, then add the chopped truffles. Simmer gently for another three minutes, no longer. Puree the mixture in a blender or a Moulinette, and set it aside.

3. Then make a white roux. Use a heavy-bottomed saucepan and a heat diffuser between pot and burner. Heat the remaining four cups of milk very hot (but do not boil) and hold it at temperature. Melt one tablespoon of the butter; when it starts to froth, turn down the heat, stir in the flour and keep stirring until the butter absorbs all the flour and becomes a thick paste. Without delay, pour in the very hot milk, half a cup at a time. Keep stirring without pause until a smooth, creamy, thick sauce is achieved. If there are lumps, keep stirring until the bubbling sauce is smooth. Let it simmer very gently for another 10 minutes.

4. Slowly stir in the puréed truffle mixture until it is absorbed into the sauce. Drop in the bouillon cube and the sugar. Add salt and white and cayenne pepper. Gently, so as not to raise any remaining sand from the bottom, stir in the milk the skins were boiled in. Stir in the three-quarters of a cup of cream and the quarter tablespoon of butter for finishing. If the soup seems too thick, dilute with a little more milk.

5. At the very last moment before serving, so as to obtain the maximum truffle flavor, take the two peeled truffles you have set aside and grate them, using a rasp or the finest part of a kitchen grater, directly into the soup. Keep the soup hot, with the lid on, in a double boiler, and do not let it boil again.

6. If the truffles were fresh, the soup should possess a delicate truffle flavor and a most luxurious texture. If you have been lucky enough to find one or two truffles with a pink interior, it will have a seductive pink tinge. It is especially good served with warm cheese-straw pastries.

7. Kept in a sealed jar, the finished soup will keep its truffle flavor for several days.

This article appeared on pages 22-27 of the September/October 2002 print edition of Saudi Aramco World.

@alarabi @Decisive Storm @f1000n @EgyptianAmerican do you remember your grandparents or other relatives ever using desert truffles? Also why has almost every Arab user left PDF? Who will now present a balanced view and not let ignorants do what they do best?

Last edited:
@alarabi @Decisive Storm @f1000n @EgyptianAmerican do you remember your grandparents or other relatives ever using desert truffles? Also why has almost every Arab user left PDF? Who will now present a balanced view and not let ignorants do what they do best?

I think it's not common in the western part of Saudi Arabia to use desert truffles, so I've never heard or seen any one using them. It's well spread in the North and they pay a lot of money to have desert truffles.
Yeah I noticed that almost all Arabs left this forum and few Arab users still show up like once in a while.
I think Arabs in general have left all kind of forums and started to use social networks excessively.

I think it's not common in the western part of Saudi Arabia to use desert truffles, so I've never heard or seen any one using them. It's well spread in the North and they pay a lot of money to have desert truffles.
Yeah I noticed that almost all Arabs left this forum and few Arab users still show up like once in a while.
I think Arabs in general have left all kind of forums and started to use social networks excessively.

I have never heard about desert truffles being popular in Hijaz either. However, as you say, I know that it is fairly popular in Northern KSA, parts of Najd (Northern) and parts of Eastern Province.

Anyway according to that Aramco article desert truffles are popular in many areas across the Arab world.

It is a shame that desert truffles are not used a lot in mainstream Arab cuisine anymore because it is a luxury food that has a very unique taste. Arab chefs home and abroad should try to revive this delicacy and market it better. After all truffles are some of the most luxurious food that you can eat.

Yes, almost everyone has left PDF. We even once had 2-3 Arab females which is hard to believe today. No doubt as it is easier and more popular for people to use Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Reddit etc. Anyway we will eventually leave as well. At least I hope so, lol.

Olive growing in Saudi Arabia

A delegation of representatives of the Saudi olive growing sector was received on 7 October by various officials of the IOC Executive Secretariat, including the Executive Director, the Deputy Directors, the Head of the Department of Research & Development and Environment and the Head of the Promotion Unit.

Mr Aboabat, the CEO of the company Al-Watania and Mr Sahbi Mahjoub from the Agromillora Group, provided information about activities in Saudi Arabia to develop the olive sector. In particular, they spoke about the development of what is currently the largest organic olive orchard in the world, with 20 million olive trees grown under irrigation, using the abundant subterranean water reserves, to create a plantation density of 1500 trees per hectare. This orchard is located in the province of Al Jouf, on the border with Iraq and Jordan. The olive harvest is entirely mechanised and the orchard is equipped with mills, and storage and packaging units. It exports part of its production to Spain, Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Kuwait.

The majority of Saudi Arabia has a desert climate, with extreme temperature differences between night and day. Temperatures can reach 54ºC in the summer with extremely low annual rainfall.

Mr Aboabat requested information on IOC activities and in particular on the conditions of IOC membership. The IOC officials presented their respective activities and encouraged Saudi Arabia to attend the meeting of the Advisory Committee on Olive Oil and Table Olives as an observer, in order to familiarise itself with the different areas of IOC action.

All the participants hoped that the meeting would be the beginning of a fruitful collaboration between Saudi Arabia and the IOC.

http://www.internationaloliveoil.org/news/view/686-year-2016-news/773-olive-growing-in-saudi-arabia

Olive festival:

Local delicacies containing local olive oil and olives.

Some 30 or 40 photos from an olive oil festival:

http://olivefestival.org.sa/?p=579

Damn you guys making me hungry for olives! :)

Olives are a stable dish in Arab cuisine and the olive tree itself is native to the Arab world. I use olive oil daily and eat olives on a almost daily basis.

Walking in olive fields and collecting olives is also a joy. If I was not a chemical engineer I could see myself as an olive farmer.

Long live the olive tree. Without it life would be a bit worse.:lol:

CsYXTYaXYAQJFVQ.jpg:large

CsYXHbmWAAA6sOe.jpg:large

Saudi Arabian breakfast — a unique experience
FOUZIA KHAN | Published — Wednesday 12 February 2014

1392028667229752900.jpg

1392028667229753200.jpg

Doctors and health experts strongly advise a healthy breakfast because it is like the fuel needed by the body’s engine to work and face the day. Breakfast time should be the most relaxed time and the best meal of the day.

The basic, everyday breakfast in most hotels in the city is continental or oriental and American breakfast with milk, tea, coffee, cornflakes, eggs and bread.
However, to get the best taste of Arabic food, particularly Saudi breakfast, one needs to visit the Habsburg restaurant Rosewood Corniche which serves Saudi-style breakfast which is both nourishing and characteristic of Arab cuisine.
Maurizio, the executive Chef at Rosewood explained that they are inviting guests to have breakfast with a touch of Arabia; to start with very simple but important dishes of breakfast including foul, balila, flatbreads prepared in a saj oven and served with Zater, white goat cheese and labneh, grape leaves, falafel, fresh honeycomb, homemade dates jam, eggs (boiled, fried, poached, etc.), pancakes, waffles, pastries and fresh fruits, green and black olives, a thick cream cheese made by draining yoghurt through cheese cloth and then drizzled with olive oil, to eat with pieces of bread from hot loaves between sips of Arabic coffee or sweet tea in an Arabic atmosphere with music in the background.
The flatbreads with Zater which is a mixture of thyme, salt, sumac and sesame seeds and eggs was especially prepared in front of the guests by Saudi Chef Adel Ateeq and Lebanese Chef Hassan Ahmed Fakeeh on request which enhanced the whole experience of an Arabic breakfast.
Arabic breakfast is different in many ways from the European or continental cuisines as it includes a number of healthy dishes such as plain bread with labneh and Zater, foul mudumas, homemade jams, Hummus, dahl, halawa (traditional soft Saudi sweet), falafel, scrambled eggs or Shashukah – which is a Saudi variation of scrambled eggs with traditional yellow tea with mint or Turkish Coffee or Ahwe Sada or traditional Arabic coffee.
Hummus is equally popular for breakfast as it is an excellent appetizer and full of nutrition being made of olive oil and chopped chickpeas with salt, lemon and Tahini.
Foul is also a very popular breakfast food among both Arabs and expatriates who love to eat it with labneh, foul and bread with Zater. The unique combination of Arab and continental breakfast at Habsburg restaurant Rosewood Corniche made for a memorable morning by the sea.

I tasted the homemade date jam with bread and Chef Adel made fresh saj bread with a Zater topping. I also enjoyed scrambled eggs and fresh labneh with a glass of orange juice.
The chef told Arab News about the special Arabic long-leafed aromatic tea served in a special tea bag with the breakfast. The presentation of the food was of superior quality and the beautiful morning view of the sea from the restaurant’s window gave the appetite a sharp edge.
Sherif El Mansoury, director of sales and marketing of Rosewood Corniche told Arab news that they started the daily Arabic breakfast cuisine to give more variety to the customers and that it will be available all the year round.
He also explained that the Rosewood hotel is always trying to give something better to its clientele. Last year they introduced two different themes in sea food. “People love to come here on weekends and international customers who are staying in the hotel can also have a taste of Saudi Arabia,” he said.
In Jeddah it is the custom for people to queue up to buy breakfast at the several restaurants in the city so Rosewood also wants to give its customers the full experience of the Arabic breakfast on their premises.
Saud Iqbal, assistant marketing manager told Arab News that Rosewood Corniche had two more restaurants dealing in Chinese and Japanese cuisine. The Chinese restaurant named Noodles and Ginza, the Japanese restaurant is open for business everyday. “We are trying to bring more variety to our customers and guests by providing them with a taste of different countries,” he said.
Rosewood is open for breakfast from 6-9:30 a.m. every morning on all days of the week.

Maurizio, the executive Chef at Rosewood explained that they are inviting guests to have breakfast with a touch of Arabia; to start with very simple but important dishes of breakfast including foul, balila, flatbreads prepared in a saj oven and served with Zater, white goat cheese and labneh, grape leaves, falafel, fresh honeycomb, homemade dates jam, eggs (boiled, fried, poached, etc.), pancakes, waffles, pastries and fresh fruits, green and black olives, a thick cream cheese made by draining yoghurt through cheese cloth and then drizzled with olive oil, to eat with pieces of bread from hot loaves between sips of Turkish coffee or sweet tea in an Arabic atmosphere with music in the background.

http://www.arabnews.com/news/524471

Some Saudi Arabian breakfast dishes:

In many of them olives and olive oil is obligatory.

Arab breakfast and cuisine overall is without doubt one of the richest and oldest in the world.

CsYXTYaXYAQJFVQ.jpg:large

CsYXHbmWAAA6sOe.jpg:large

1392028667229752900.jpg

1392028667229753200.jpg

Doctors and health experts strongly advise a healthy breakfast because it is like the fuel needed by the body’s engine to work and face the day. Breakfast time should be the most relaxed time and the best meal of the day.

The basic, everyday breakfast in most hotels in the city is continental or oriental and American breakfast with milk, tea, coffee, cornflakes, eggs and bread.
However, to get the best taste of Arabic food, particularly Saudi breakfast, one needs to visit the Habsburg restaurant Rosewood Corniche which serves Saudi-style breakfast which is both nourishing and characteristic of Arab cuisine.
Maurizio, the executive Chef at Rosewood explained that they are inviting guests to have breakfast with a touch of Arabia; to start with very simple but important dishes of breakfast including foul, balila, flatbreads prepared in a saj oven and served with Zater, white goat cheese and labneh, grape leaves, falafel, fresh honeycomb, homemade dates jam, eggs (boiled, fried, poached, etc.), pancakes, waffles, pastries and fresh fruits, green and black olives, a thick cream cheese made by draining yoghurt through cheese cloth and then drizzled with olive oil, to eat with pieces of bread from hot loaves between sips of Arabic coffee or sweet tea in an Arabic atmosphere with music in the background.
The flatbreads with Zater which is a mixture of thyme, salt, sumac and sesame seeds and eggs was especially prepared in front of the guests by Saudi Chef Adel Ateeq and Lebanese Chef Hassan Ahmed Fakeeh on request which enhanced the whole experience of an Arabic breakfast.
Arabic breakfast is different in many ways from the European or continental cuisines as it includes a number of healthy dishes such as plain bread with labneh and Zater, foul mudumas, homemade jams, Hummus, dahl, halawa (traditional soft Saudi sweet), falafel, scrambled eggs or Shashukah – which is a Saudi variation of scrambled eggs with traditional yellow tea with mint or Turkish Coffee or Ahwe Sada or traditional Arabic coffee.
Hummus is equally popular for breakfast as it is an excellent appetizer and full of nutrition being made of olive oil and chopped chickpeas with salt, lemon and Tahini.
Foul is also a very popular breakfast food among both Arabs and expatriates who love to eat it with labneh, foul and bread with Zater. The unique combination of Arab and continental breakfast at Habsburg restaurant Rosewood Corniche made for a memorable morning by the sea.

I tasted the homemade date jam with bread and Chef Adel made fresh saj bread with a Zater topping. I also enjoyed scrambled eggs and fresh labneh with a glass of orange juice.
The chef told Arab News about the special Arabic long-leafed aromatic tea served in a special tea bag with the breakfast. The presentation of the food was of superior quality and the beautiful morning view of the sea from the restaurant’s window gave the appetite a sharp edge.
Sherif El Mansoury, director of sales and marketing of Rosewood Corniche told Arab news that they started the daily Arabic breakfast cuisine to give more variety to the customers and that it will be available all the year round.
He also explained that the Rosewood hotel is always trying to give something better to its clientele. Last year they introduced two different themes in sea food. “People love to come here on weekends and international customers who are staying in the hotel can also have a taste of Saudi Arabia,” he said.
In Jeddah it is the custom for people to queue up to buy breakfast at the several restaurants in the city so Rosewood also wants to give its customers the full experience of the Arabic breakfast on their premises.
Saud Iqbal, assistant marketing manager told Arab News that Rosewood Corniche had two more restaurants dealing in Chinese and Japanese cuisine. The Chinese restaurant named Noodles and Ginza, the Japanese restaurant is open for business everyday. “We are trying to bring more variety to our customers and guests by providing them with a taste of different countries,” he said.
Rosewood is open for breakfast from 6-9:30 a.m. every morning on all days of the week.

Maurizio, the executive Chef at Rosewood explained that they are inviting guests to have breakfast with a touch of Arabia; to start with very simple but important dishes of breakfast including foul, balila, flatbreads prepared in a saj oven and served with Zater, white goat cheese and labneh, grape leaves, falafel, fresh honeycomb, homemade dates jam, eggs (boiled, fried, poached, etc.), pancakes, waffles, pastries and fresh fruits, green and black olives, a thick cream cheese made by draining yoghurt through cheese cloth and then drizzled with olive oil, to eat with pieces of bread from hot loaves between sips of Turkish coffee or sweet tea in an Arabic atmosphere with music in the background.

http://www.arabnews.com/news/524471

Some Saudi Arabian breakfast dishes:

In many of them olives and olive oil is obligatory.

Olive fesitval in Sakaka in Al-Jouf region.

C3NCG3yWYAAJE2p.jpg:large

C308e18XAAE1ePI.jpg:large

C308HYoWYAEIJAZ.jpg:large

C2rxwY3XUAA6cOG.jpg:large

000-6317422201484987246888.jpg

C2ty3yRWEAE3PDz.jpg:large

C2tyi6nXUAAG65R.jpg:large

C22NWelXgAAVACL.jpg:large

C2rxwY5WgAERS6Z.jpg:large

C2rxwY5WQAA-QJc.jpg:large

C308L7oW8AEaWRK.jpg:large

http://olivefestival.org.sa/?p=985

North KSA is home to some of the largest olive fields in the world and some of the very best olives and olive oil. We must increase our export of olives and olive oil and not be content with a top 15 position.

God bless the North and the farmers there who should be supported by all costs.

@Full Moon @azzo @الأعرابي @EgyptianAmerican @KTOOOOM

From the same olive festival I was talking about earlier but this time around interviews with local children. It would be marvelous if some of them pursued a career in agriculture and olive cultivation or at least invested in the sector. In any case it is very good that they are taught about this ancient occupation in their city and region and its historical importance.

Back
Top Bottom