Obama administration announces $6.4 billion arms sale package to Taiwan

Status
Not open for further replies.

VelocuR

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Obama administration announces $6.4 billion arms sale package to Taiwan

The United States is planning to sell $6.4 billion in arms to Taiwan, a move that will infuriate China and test whether President Barack Obama's efforts to improve trust with Beijing will carry the countries through a tense time.

The notification to the U.S. Congress, posted Friday on a Pentagon Web site, includes Black Hawk helicopters, Patriot Advanced Capability-3 missiles, mine hunter ships and information technology. Congress has 30 days to comment before the plan goes forward; senior lawmakers traditionally have supported such sales.

Taiwan is the most sensitive matter in U.S.-China relations, with the potential to plunge into conflict two powers increasingly linked in security and economic issues. China claims the self-governing island as its own. The United States is Taiwan's most important ally and its largest arms supplier.

The United States, which told China of the sale only hours before the announcement, acknowledged that Beijing may retaliate by cutting off military talks with Washington, which happened after the former Bush administration announced a multibillion dollar arms sale to Taiwan in 2008.

Wang Baodong, a spokesman for the Chinese Embassy in Washington, said in an interview that Beijing will lodge a formal protest against the U.S. decision. Asked if China would halt military talks, he said, "Let's wait and see."

"We strongly request that the U.S. side correct the wrong action, so as to avoid further damaging Chinese-U.S. relations,"
Wang said. "The Taiwan question and the arms sale issue bear on China's sovereignty and territorial integrity, so this is a very serious problem."

China has threatened to invade should Taiwan ever formalize its de facto independence.

Despite its size, the U.S. weapons package dodges a touchy issue: F-16 fighter jets that Taiwan covets are not included. Senior U.S. officials said they are aware of Taiwan's desire for F-16s and are assessing Taiwan's needs.

The arms package includes 114 PAC-3 missiles and other equipment, costing more than $2.8 billion; 60 UH-60M Black Hawk helicopters, costing $3.1 billion; information distribution systems and other equipment, at $340 million; two Osprey Class Mine Hunting Ships, at a cost of about $105 million; and other items.

The sale satisfies parts of an $11 billion arms package originally pledged to Taiwan by former President George W. Bush in 2001. That package has been provided in stages because of political and budgetary considerations in Taiwan and the United States.

U.S. officials say the Obama administration's China policy is meant to improve trust between the countries, so that disagreements over Taiwan or Tibet do not reverse efforts to co-operate on nuclear standoffs in Iran and North Korea, and attempts to deal with economic and climate change issues.

China aims more than 1,000 ballistic missiles at Taiwan; the U.S. government is bound by law to ensure the island is able to respond to Chinese threats.

Obama's national security adviser, Jim Jones, said Friday that both Washington and Beijing do things "periodically that may not make everybody completely happy."

But Jones told an audience at the Center for Strategic and International Studies think-tank that the United States is "bent toward a new relationship with China as a rising power in the world."

What the heck Uncle Sam's doing? Double-Standard!

well i foresee the future China will get back her land at any cost even if China has to go to War and this time around no european country gives a f..ck to u s of a for slapping sanctions against China..europe has tasted a good deal for following usa and seen its economy doomed this time around us is going to be all alone it can slap sanctions if it wants Taiwan will be even by force be in hands of China she is China's rightful land.

China can't do anything as long as US supports Taiwan. Sorry I am not flaming.

Its always so funny to watch some stupid frog in the well thats know

sh@t about the relationship between China and taiwan,

(1) 99% of the people are Chinese in taiwan, they will be proud to tell

anybody they are Chinese, the relationship between the two are

getting better day by day, the majority of taiwan never support any

independent move, China won't allow it to happen and US will never

support it too, since thats mean war.

(2) When some ignorant Indians like to stick their nose into our

internal affair, please first do a little bit research out from your well,

no body in China, taiwan, Japan, Korea have any respect to Indians,

Not to be prejudice, but just like to point out the truth how they feel

about Indians, you represented backwardation, poverty, slums.

(3) Especially extremely funny when i heard some Indians talking

about military base in taiwan, Japan, Korea, do you think they wants

some beggars to create some dirty slums in their countries ?

US selling arms to taiwan means nothing to the reality taiwan is part of China.
:smitten::pakistan::china:

as long as they don't declare independence. I don't see any problem here.

grey boy 2~~~

Taiwan has a lot of Japanese descendants(/mixed).
the real local Taiwanese are actually the minority... low in population.
Most of the Chinese there, move from China during/after the defeat.
yes most of them consider themselves Chinese as well as Taiwanese.
And if you ask a older Taiwanese, they probably will also tell you where is their origin. (whatever city/province in China)
Just like I would consider myself Cantonese(Guangdong/Canton province) and Chinese.

*grey boy 2 ~~ i mean no offend to you...
could you stop acting like a Fenqing...
这有外国人...你这样的帖只会讓别人看不起中国人
别学啊3...語言攻击...发重点就好了...攻击就免了吧

Last edited:

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

that's all you can do. :smitten:

Typical arrogant american,just bear in mind that someday in the future you people will have to pay for every despicable acts your government did.Once obama's constant lies exposed,no one will ever trust him again.

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

that's all you can do. :smitten:

You does remind me of Indian's illiteracy, HaHaHa.
:cheers:

US is desperate for $$, almost all of their industries are on downside except weapon industry.

US is desperate for $$, almost all of their industries are on downside except weapon industry.

actually The U.S. is bound by law to make sure Taiwan has a strong defense. this and future sales will continue as a result.

Reactions: S-2
actually The U.S. is bound by law to make sure Taiwan has a strong defense. this and future sales will continue as a result.

Yeah, whatever, yesterday's news, but you do know Taiwan aint going any where, don't you. In the meantime, keep milking off those poor bastards as you media did to Jennifer Aniston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom