What's new

nytimes: For Turkey, Lure of Tie to Europe Is Fading

- I don't see how EU being in an economic crises benefits Turkey, yes we have a vivid economy, but we are also affected by a rising inflation which isn't a very good sign.
-that everything rides on Import/export. exporting more than you import is good, and that's what we need.
-agriculture, the farmers think they can still do things the old fashion way. Sorry that's a dead end.
-What I think we need is secure investment in energy.

absolutely correct and a wise approach!!! :tup:

gloating? dont know may be we can rephrase it! why not to use frustration?

its a social fact! and guess its not unique to us! such frustrations have been witnessed in other EU candidates during accession talks as well! but still! I afraid our frustration has a more concrete ground i,e increasing racism or simply the fact that our EU accession has been exploited in domestic politics of some EU countries for instance germay france austria.... but I am still glad that scandinavian countries like sweden and finland are on our side with UK, some former eastern european countries and some baltic states....

seeing such a news in nytimes is not coincidental! in a way we are/ have to use this frustration as a political leverage!

I think it's unhealthy to gloat, I don't see how EU being in an economic crises benefits Turkey, yes we have a vivid economy, but we are also affected by a rising inflation which isn't a very good sign. We have a young population, but there is noway Turkey can supply that young population with everything they need. How many Ipad 2, Mac, Samsung laptops, tabs are produced in turkey, how many Watch productions do we have in Turkey. Sorry, but unless we can provide everything to our own population, we'll still face dependency on foreign markets especially EU. Remember that everything rides on Import/export. exporting more than you import is good, and that's what we need. agriculture, the farmers think they can still do things the old fashion way. Sorry that's a dead end. You know how much the price of meat is in Turkey ? More than In Denmark.

What I think we need is secure investment in energy, solar panels for a start. and buy/build laptop factories in turkey, buy the knowhow and the right people! and etc.

Every country is dependant on another country, that doesn't only apply for Turkey. Even though Turkey (as all other countries)
is dependant on the above mentioned brands which are mostly American, European and Asian products the graph shared by Zulkarneyn clearly shows that Turkey remains unaffected or mild affected from their slow growth. It's important to see the point Zulkarneyn is making, he doesn't state that Turkey will have a better HDI or GDP rate than western European countries, he merely says that Turkey is growing at the rate of China and India, which means in about 20 years, Turkey will have as good HDI and GDP rate as western European countries.

It is important to point out that, it is rather impossible to compete with all the worlds brands as a single country. As former stated, every country is dependant on other countries, and most of todays countries are specialized in a section of production.

The most important thing is to invest in the right fields in Turkey, as Saithan states. Solar panels, laptop, car, technological products (phones, tv's), household appliances... you name it.
Turkey as all of you know, have a large growth in military technology also, which will benefit the country. Since this is also a very big industrial market.

I think it's unhealthy to gloat, I don't see how EU being in an economic crises benefits Turkey, yes we have a vivid economy, but we are also affected by a rising inflation which isn't a very good sign. We have a young population, but there is noway Turkey can supply that young population with everything they need. How many Ipad 2, Mac, Samsung laptops, tabs are produced in turkey, how many Watch productions do we have in Turkey. Sorry, but unless we can provide everything to our own population, we'll still face dependency on foreign markets especially EU. Remember that everything rides on Import/export. exporting more than you import is good, and that's what we need. agriculture, the farmers think they can still do things the old fashion way. Sorry that's a dead end. You know how much the price of meat is in Turkey ? More than In Denmark.

What I think we need is secure investment in energy, solar panels for a start. and buy/build laptop factories in turkey, buy the knowhow and the right people! and etc.

You misunderstood my post. I haven't said that EU being in an economic crisis benefits Turkey, yet interestingly enough it actually does. When big companies in Europe looses any form of markets, that means it is a golden opportunity for Turkish companies.

We do of course need to focus much more on indigenous production of computers, cell phones and other technological products. And i think we are slowly moving in that direction. But, as i stressed before, you are right about solar and other forms of efficient energy. Because our biggest import is in the energy sector and that is exactly our weakest point (too much import). Once we can efficiently and effectively make use of solar and hydroelectric power we won't even have to import all that petroleum. It goes without saying we urgently need nuclear reactors. Turkey has indeed a golden opportunity in the renewable energy sector.

Take a look at this folks, Turkey's primary energy source is coal and gas. Coal especially is a really bad source for energy production only about 20% can be transformed to pure energy.
energyg.png

Because our biggest import is in the energy sector and that is exactly our weakest point (too much import). Once we can efficiently and effectively make use of solar and hydroelectric power we won't even have to import all that petroleum. It goes without saying we urgently need nuclear reactors. Turkey has indeed a golden opportunity in the renewable energy sector.

Take a look at this folks, Turkey's primary energy source is coal and gas. Coal especially is a really bad source for energy production only about 20% can be transformed to pure energy.
energyg.png

There is one small part I disagree on, the current solar panels can transform around 15-21% of the sun light into useful energy, I think it would be a mistake to wait for a more efficient solar panel to be developed. it's very important to start now, and have every single citizen of turkey to gain knowhow about solar panels. it's a pretty important and good knowledge to have and spreading the word takes time. So I think it's very important to start now. e.g. windmills started off with 500kw turbines, then they went up to 1MW and then 2MW, now siemens and vestas are on 3MW. My point is that because people are investing in windmills, the producers make better windmills, and the same could apply for solar panels.

nuclear power is pretty important, it's clean but also dangerous if you don't have personnel who're skilled at operating it, but I'm glad they're going to build two, but I wish they'd started with smaller ones.

EDIT: found this. http://www.greenprophet.com/2010/09/turkeys-solimpeks-solar-panels/

Back
Top Bottom