What's new

NSG dogs to put on bulletproof jackets

Abingdonboy

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
New Delhi Preparing its dog squad for a range of new roles — ranging from offensive room-busting operations to providing outer security cordons at the sites of anti-terror operations to carrying head-mounted cameras into battle zones — the elite National Security Guard (NSG), in a first, now plans to provide its K9 squad with bulletproof jackets.
Incidentally, the K9 (acronym for canine) squad is being used by the NSG to sanitise the Commonwealth Games Village and the venues in Delhi. But the bulletproof jackets are not likely to be provided in time for the Games.

The idea, sources said, is to provide the maximum protection possible to the trained canines of the country’s elite commando force. “A K9 dog is one of the best sniffer dogs available in the country. Since we now plan to utilise the K9 squad’s services in many more operational roles, the chances of their getting exposed to hostile elements will escalate. We want to ensure that they get the best available protective body cover,” a source said. The US military currently provides bulletproof jackets to the dog squads it deploys in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The draft Qualitative Requirements (QRs) for the bulletproof jackets the NSG wants for its canines stipulate an NIJ Level II protection wherein the jacket should fully cover the chest, back and belly of the dog. The NSG is looking for jackets that have a “yoke” design “to maximise the freedom of movement of the K9” and also provide features like “body heat dissipation, ventilation and protection of vital organs from injury”.

“The jacket should have a three-piece design allowing easy adjustability for a secure fit and easy maneuverability. The jacket should have adjustable velcro and elastic straps for snug fitting to the body of the K9, especially at the shoulders and the abdomen,” the QRs state.

NSG dogs to put on bulletproof jackets - Express India

Pretty good idea; it takes a long time to train the canines esp. the sniffer dog.

Good but i think dogs are going to get ore protection than CRPF in naxal areas.

That's a good idea, love the ideas that are being created now a days. The technology is getting bigger and we don't even know. The dogs are also a really good idea but, require a lot of training. Would like to train my own dog that way. Great stuff.

:) :) I hope the bulletproof jackets given to NSG is state of the art, otherwise it would be sad to see the dog to live through an attack rather than the soldier...but its a nice initiative.

EVERY DOG HAS HIS DAY.

on topic, i think its a good move. the training for dogs is quite long and tedious so obviously it makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom